Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aspiration "Best Selling Author" goal *glitch*?

SkidoodilybopSkidoodilybop Posts: 123 Member
I have a Sim who has the "Best Selling Author" aspiration. His current goal is to "Read 1 books at the Library" (the word "book" is actually incorrectly plural in-game). When I hover over this goal, it explains: "Travel to a Library by pulling up the world map and clicking on a venue. While there, click on a Book or Bookshelf to select Read." - worth 50pts.

I have done this. My Sim is at the local library, and has read 3 books to completion. The green progress ring (around the book icon) filled up completely for each book! The goal is still unchecked, and hasn't shown as being completed. I haven't had this problem with any other play-through, or with any other Sim with a different or similar aspiration...

I have NO mods.

Any help?

Comments

• bored_1bored_1 Posts: 150 Member
    edited October 2014
    I actually have the exact same problem. not sure if it's the new patch or an existing bug. I've never tried best-selling author before.
  • SkidoodilybopSkidoodilybop Posts: 123 Member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for commenting! I'm sorry you have the same issue, but I feel better knowing I'm not insane and someone else is experiencing this. I'm glad you brought up the update - I should have mentioned that I didn't experience this until AFTER I'd updated the game (for the new Ghost patch to work).
    now that I think about it, I believe they changed the goals in that aspiration. I was reading up on it and someone said they had trouble with one of the first goals, writer's block. I remember doing that. I forgot about it because I rarely actually complete aspirations- I usually get bored part way through and start on something fresh.
    I don't know about the Aspiration change, and haven't found any threads about this issue... has anyone found a fix for this? I can't progress my Sim if the goal wont show as completed after he's done it!
  • DanteEDMDanteEDM Posts: 98 Member
    I'm having the same issue. It's so frustrating. Considering how loud the library is in this game. Lol!
    "Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge." Scott Adams
  • EtienneLucEtienneLuc Posts: 24 New Member
    And I thought "Writer's Block" was a PITA to achieve. When I saw the new goal, I was all "YAY". Just ran down and checked on my sim and yep, it's bugged for me as well. Hopefully they will fix it soon.
    Thank you for commenting and sharing your plight! I'm hoping this thread will get enough attention so the Guru's can help fix this issue!
  • bumblebeer0sebumblebeer0se Posts: 205 Member
    I've gone through this aspiration before, and it worked fine. However, I had this issue with the party animal aspiration yesterday. I threw 5 parties and it still said 0/5 complete. I ended up using a cheat to force the aspiration to move forward. I don't like to cheat, but essentially I didn't. I completed the aspiration level, the game just didn't recognize it. I think this is a glitch associated with the new patch. I hadn't experienced this error with adult aspirations prior to yesterday.
  • bumblebeer0sebumblebeer0se Posts: 205 Member
    Here is where I found the cheat http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/cheats.php

If you don't want to look through all of that information: without quotes type "testingcheats on" and then "aspirations.complete_current_milestone"

It will not complete the entire aspiration, it will just move you to the next step so you can move on.
  • cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    I have problems with the 'completion green ring' on many things off and on. I start my sim doing something then head off to do other things. I then realise she's been there, like, 12 hours and the green circle hasn't even started! I have to stop her then use the resume option, the green bar then fills up instantly!
    > @SelenaGrey said:
    > SelenaGrey wrote: »
    >
    > CONFIRMED. The text has changed, but you still need to beat writers block.
    > I read two books at the library, and got nothing.
    >
    > I started writing until I got writers block. I fast-forwarded until the block went away, and the aspiration portion completed.

Thank you so much! Now I understand! The goal my Sim is stuck on ("Read 1 books at the Library") used to be something like "Beat Writers Block" - but since the game patch, they changed the text to read "Read 1 books at the Library" instead and didn't actually change the goal activity itself! Awesome! I'll try what you did - I'll give my Sim writer's block, and then wait it out until the negative moodlet goes away, and let's hope the goal is completed! I'll update as soon as I've done this!
    > @bumblebeer0se said:
    >
    ...without quotes type "testingcheats on" and then "aspirations.complete_current_milestone"
    >
    > It will not complete the entire aspiration, it will just move you to the next step so you can move on.

~~~

Thanks for the nifty solution, bumblebeer0se! If the above fix doesn't do the trick, I'll try the cheat to move past this game error! It's good to know there are ways to get past these little issues so we can move on and enjoy the game :D
  • Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Writers block is super simple. Done it a lot of times. If in real need go to my name on the Gallery & download my 'room' called 'Get Me Writers Block'. Follow the instructions and boom. Easy peasy, takes 6 hours MAX.

This is not promotion, you can undownload right after. Just saying...it works.
    > @Jimboola11 said:
    > Writers block is super simple. Done it a lot of times. If in real need go to my name on the Gallery & download my 'room' called 'Get Me Writers Block'. Follow the instructions and boom. Easy peasy, takes 6 hours MAX.
    > This is not promotion, you can undownload right after. Just saying...it works.
    ~~~~

Hey Jimboola11 - I know how to get Writer's Block, but thanks for the suggestion! This is about an issue where an Aspiration goal was changed from "Read 1 books at the Library" to your Sim having to get writer's block, and break through it - yet the wording was still saying "Read 1 books at the Library" ... leaving us to think our Sim was supposed to read a book to finish the goal, which never completed after reading 1 book.
  • Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    @Skidoodilybop My bad. There seemed to be some unsure in the thread. Hope things pan out for you. :)
  • MelReduxMelRedux Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2014
    I had the same issue! And after reading this thread, I tried getting and overcoming writers block. that worked. Guess the devs changed the text but forgot to change the coding ;)
    I hope they fix this soon. there will no doubt be more people struggling with this, and even though it's listed in the bugs section, I have a feeling there will be more threads like this one.
    > @bored_1 said:
    > I hope they fix this soon. there will no doubt be more people struggling with this, and even though it's listed in the bugs section, I have a feeling there will be more threads like this one.

I looked for a thread about this issue (before posting about it) and didn't find any. Where is the Bugs thread so I can keep an eye out, in case I have any other issues?
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Compiled list of bugs - those that surfaced after the update are not added yet:
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-Bugs/m-p/3445209#U3445209

The thread has 8 posts so make sure to scroll down.
    Thanks JoxterTM22!
  • KraslevKraslev Posts: 110 Member
    Just bumping this for awareness. I had the same problem, then suddenly my sim got it in his sleep. Turns out, as previously mentioned, the text is different but the goal is still completed by beating writer's block.
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    yes text is wrong, should say beat writers block. Once you get writers block you then have to wait for the 4 hours to go by for it to wear off before you get the points
  • forgiven80forgiven80 Posts: 20 New Member
    Been having this same problem since the Ghosts update. Thank - you for the response going to go in game and try to get writers block now.