Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are your Legacies progressing?

Comments

• Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    I haven't been on TS4 since sunday I think ;'( I must check tonight! when I last played legacy one Sebastian and James relationship took a turn for the worst.. they love each other deeply but they've hit a rough patch in which every interaction seems to hit a brick wall :l and they're moods are shifting between embarrassment and being mortified.

--

My legacy two the Burrows are running much smoother. Kas and John are happy together and their son Marcus is trying to make new friends.. I say try I haven't bothered to go to the park with him yet.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I have two legacies going. One I'm sharing on YouTube and one personal. My YouTube one just gave birth to gen 2 (possible heir) and my personal legacy... gen 4 are teens. I'm currently taking a break from my personal legacy and playing mine and my families simselves.

I plan to go back to my personal legacy, as I post pics about it on Twitter a lot. They are in a pretty expensive house and really struggling to make the $8500 bills and I just needed a break from that.

Now that we have ghosts, I'm dying to get back to my Conway legacy and put out the tombstones and see if those ghosts come back. That would be amazing.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    I'm thinking of doing a Legacy, maybe as a fun break from my current game: I just call it my neighborhood rotation story. Link is in my Siggie
  • Options
    chidoriaidachidoriaida Posts: 282 Member
    I am debating if I should do a Legacy family now or later. The main thing that stops me from doing it is the lack of family tree.
  • Options
    cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    I'm doing my very first ever! And really enjoying it. (I'm reporting it in a blog, link below). I'm still on my first generation although I have my heir, and his twin sisters. I'm not a legacy style player at all, I tend to get bored with seeing the same old sim all the time and just create a new family, but this has really captured my imagination!
  • Options
    cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    I am debating if I should do a Legacy family now or later. The main thing that stops me from doing it is the lack of family tree.

The family tree thing is a shame, an odd thing to take out (obviously harder to code than it appears lol!) I am just drawing it out, so I remember! :)
  • Options
    conundrum_dragonconundrum_dragon Posts: 794 Member
    At this point my legacy will be to see which generation can have the first boy child, without having to adopt. Still love the game and have read several comments from people that had this same issue or the opposite. Then there are those who have thus far had a good mix. But for my game so far it is an all girl legacy. lol
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I just started my first Sims 4 legacy. I have to do a blog for a graduate course I'm taking, so I decided to blog about the legacy. Just put chapter one up; come follow Pete's Legacy, if you're interested :-)
  • Options
    MissLaraeMissLarae Posts: 215 Member
    My daughter and I made our own legacy rules about a week ago. We're still on the first generation because we decided to play on long. It's taking forever but the default seems too short for me. I want the sliders back :(.
  • Options
    conundrum_dragonconundrum_dragon Posts: 794 Member

The family tree thing is a shame, an odd thing to take out (obviously harder to code than it appears lol!) I am just drawing it out, so I remember! :)
    [/quote]

Even when they had the family tree it was easier to draw out for me, just to keep it organized in my mind.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Well I just got the game about a week ago so I am still only on generation 2. I can only play for a few hours a day since I am a full time college student, but lots of playing expected for this weekend.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm not technically playing a Legacy by any rules, but I've been mainly focusing on my main family, which is my Simself, her husband Bill (I created two Sims, one the Simself of my husband and the other of a good friend, and my Simself ended up getting along better with the friend). I've had aging off for them (and all played households which now includes their eldest daughter who's in her own house), but now that we've got ghosts and Ambrosia back I might go ahead and turn aging back on. They have three children; I've decided that I'm making the middle child the Heir in each of my generations, just because everyone else seems to go with the eldest. Their oldest is an artist named Kieran, the middle child a geek named Michaela, and the youngest is Brandon (haven't decided on his future yet).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    I am on gen3, with gen 4 born. I have had a sim die from over exertion, but that's the only death other than normal old age ones. My families have been huge, because I am actually doing a family history legacy, so its the men on my fathers side, that lead the lines. They have to have the same amount of children they had in RL so its been interesting. I have used the roll for their traits and stuff, that was set up, and it has made it very interesting. So I have had painters, astronaunts, cooks, and now I have a fisherwoman, lol, its interesting. I though I would get discouraged, but I have had so much fun.
  • Options
    Rubycube86Rubycube86 Posts: 294 Member
    I'm still on the first gen, and they've just had a boy, so got a long way to go yet!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    Rinilex wrote: »
    I deleted mine after the second generation. I honestly find legacies impossible to get into in 4.
    Why is that? (curious because I'm a legacy player in S3 and I was hoping to be able to continue that playing style in 4 some day).
    (if you answer me, could you please tag me?; I really have to go to bed now and topics over here have this tendency of disappearing overnight ;))

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    I am on my third generation so far. My founder is the sim in my avatar. I'm actually naming each generation as the alphabet. I've never succeeded in a 10 generation challenge, but my goal would be to do a personal A-Z challenge legacy style. I'm getting my blog fully together and I'm hoping to get the first few chapters up this weekend. I'm so stoked to have ghosts back in hopes that my founder will haunt some as a ghost. I haven't really played since she died a few days before her daughter's wedding.

My second generation heir just had her heir which was really lucky to have a female on the first try. They are living with her husband and her brothers at the moment in Willow Creek. I think I'm going to move them over to Oasis Springs though because they are blue and they aren't blending in with the scenery that well in my opinion. And I want my Goth family to have a big sprawling mansion and they need that lot.

I'm also uploading each generation to the gallery so other people can use the families as their neighbors and as their townies as they like.
  • Options
    RineRine Posts: 165 Member
    In my game, the seventh generation is about to be born. Fourth gen's elders finally passed away, along with one of generation five's spares. I kept all of the generation five children in the house. The oldest, Maddison, had an affair with a homeless guy and had a daughter, Jacklyn. Jacklyn aged to a YA recently and is already married and pregnant with generation seven.

Regarding the rest of generation five - The youngest, Bryson, was a boy (I was so happy when he was born!) and I had him marry his childhood sweetheart. They actually just had a boy but because he has his mother's name and not dad's, I will not make him the heir. Bryson's twin, Bailey, is a high-skilled painter currently in a relationship with a woman she met at the gym. The other sibling, Ariel, died in a tofu-dog grilling accident.

I have a pretty sizeable graveyard going now, along with a mediocre garden, a rocket ship, a nice playground, and a really confusing three-level house. I really hope I can get to generation ten for once. This is the farthest I've ever gotten.
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited October 2014
    I deleted mine after the second generation. I honestly find legacies impossible to get into in 4.
    Why is that? (curious because I'm a legacy player in S3 and I was hoping to be able to continue that playing style in 4 some day).
    (if you answer me, could you please tag me?; I really have to go to bed now and topics over here have this tendency of disappearing overnight ;))

It was a lot of things, really, but it seems to be subjective because a fair few legacy players from 2 and 3 appear to be enjoying themselves. I just couldn't get into it. Basically, it boiled down to:

- The life stages feel really badly paced
    - No toddlers bothers me a great deal, especially when it's coupled with a) the aforementioned life stage issue and b) teens being basically adults with a different name - altogether, it just doesn't make me feel like I'm living out my Sims' lives any more. It feels like the original game again with an "elder" part tacked onto the end.
    - The babies are basically objects. I couldn't endear myself to them and find their appearance off-putting.
    - The game play was boring and frustrating, multi-tasking created more problems than it's worth and I hate the goals put in place to achieve aspirations. I didn't feel the freedom I had with previous games.
    - There's nowhere to go and nothing to do, and unlike TS2 there's not enough going on in the home lots to keep you satisfied. The unlockables are also very dull and don't seem worth the effort.
    - The overly modern, iPad and selfie, "hey teen kids, look how quirky this game is!" atmosphere has ruined the classical, family feel of the game.
    - I find myself unable to care about the Sims themselves any more. The whole thing feels empty.

There's just no substance to the game. Not enough for a legacy player, anyway.

Oops! @astridentanja ;)
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    my gen 2 heir is childless; the two spares have children so technically they are on gen 3. I'm really behind on my blog. first chapter of gen 1 is all I have up. unfortunately I'm in the middle of the semester so I probably will have finished the legacy by the time I get my blog caught up.
  • Options
    keshialeekeshialee Posts: 533 Member

It was a lot of things, really, but it seems to be subjective because a fair few legacy players from 2 and 3 appear to be enjoying themselves. I just couldn't get into it. Basically, it boiled down to:

- No toddlers bothers me a great deal, especially when it's coupled with a) the aforementioned life stage issue and b) teens being basically adults with a different name - altogether, it just doesn't make me feel like I'm living out my Sims' lives any more. It feels like the original game again with an "elder" part tacked onto the end.
    - The babies are basically objects. I couldn't endear myself to them and find their appearance off-putting.
    - The game play was boring and frustrating, multi-tasking created more problems than it's worth and I hate the goals put in place to achieve aspirations. I didn't feel the freedom I had with previous games.
    - There's nowhere to go and nothing to do, and unlike TS2 there's not enough going on in the home lots to keep you satisfied. The unlockables are also very dull and don't seem worth the effort.
    - The overly modern, iPad and selfie, "hey teen kids, look how quirky this game is!" atmosphere has ruined the classical, family feel of the game.
    - I find myself unable to care about the Sims themselves any more. The whole thing feels empty.

Oops! @astridentanja ;)

Whilst I am am enjoying the game, I do get some of your points. To me also, the life-stages seem jolted, I hate how a baby turns into a fully fledged child. I don't mind the teens, but did when I first started playing.

I must say that I do like these new babies though, I just wish they could move away from the crib.

I hope that the game improves enough for you to enjoy it the way that you like to play it. I am enjoying playing a legacy family for the first time but know how I would feel if the game just didn't sit right with me.

What changes would help you play a legacy?
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    keshialee wrote: »

Oops! @astridentanja ;)

Whilst I am am enjoying the game, I do get some of your points. To me also, the life-stages seem jolted, I hate how a baby turns into a fully fledged child. I don't mind the teens, but did when I first started playing.

I must say that I do like these new babies though, I just wish they could move away from the crib.

I hope that the game improves enough for you to enjoy it the way that you like to play it. I am enjoying playing a legacy family for the first time but know how I would feel if the game just didn't sit right with me.

What changes would help you play a legacy?

It's certainly very jarring to have a baby that was born a day ago suddenly turn into a child. After 2 and 3, it's nigh on unacceptable. And I think they did do some things right with babies - the interactions are much better, and they sound cuter - but now they just look like eerie plastic dolls that don't even detach from the crib, and it pretty much ruins the good aspects.

To be honest, the list of things that would need to be changed to win me over is probably so big it would teeter on a total overhaul, and I don't expect EA to cater to the whims of a single fan. I think I just need to accept the Sims franchise has left me behind with this one, which saddens me greatly because it's one of my most beloved gaming series and I've been around since 1.

If I had to give a run down of what the list might be, it'd be along the lines of adding in toddlers, expanding on babies, more teen-oriented options (that don't revolve around romance), changes made to the multi-tasking system, way, way more classical styles and options when it comes to build and buy mode, wiping out the tedious goals when it comes to aspirations/ jobs, bringing back more of the quirky features from 2 (private school was such a nice twist), better, original reward objects/ furniture with unique interactions we've not seen before, family trees, loading screens opening up beyond just one lot, the return of Sim-unique traits like zodiac signs and preferences, better variation with clothing - teens, adults and elders basically having the same wardrobe is unbelievably lazy - more inspiration gone into the gardening side of the game (gardening has always been one of my favourite things to do), small details like carpools and NPCs coming back, the option to get rid of irksome, "trendy" features like smart phones and selfies...

The key point is details. This game lacks the little bonuses, surprises and obvious care and attention its predecessors had (playing 2 recently only makes it more painfully obvious) and it feels like EA have got too lazy and flung us the bare bones of the game for a ridiculous amount of money. There's no inspiration, no creativity that made the original games great, and it has less content, when the very purpose of a sequel is to expand on what's already been done. (Phew, that became longer than I anticipated. Sorry!)
  • Options
    keshialeekeshialee Posts: 533 Member

The key point is details. This game lacks the little bonuses, surprises and obvious care and attention its predecessors had (playing 2 recently only makes it more painfully obvious) and it feels like EA have got too lazy and flung us the bare bones of the game for a ridiculous amount of money. There's no inspiration, no creativity that made the original games great, and it has less content, when the very purpose of a sequel is to expand on what's already been done. (Phew, that became longer than I anticipated. Sorry!)

Please don't apologize haha, to be honest it is refreshing to talk to someone about issues like this without it becoming a war about I like it and you don't. I like you have been playing since the beginning and would be devastated if it left me behind. Being an almost 30 year old adult, the Sims is a main hobby of mine and thoroughly enjoy winding down with the game after a long day at work or being a mother. And I do enjoy civilized conversation on the ebs and flows of the game, be it good or negative.

My comment on hoping it improves for you still stands. I do hope at some stage of this series you can gain an old enjoyment from it.
  • Options
    constanceconstance Posts: 1,379 Member
    My Upshur legacy threw a dinner party to celebrate his promotion

tumblr_ncupy6bESX1sj04wko2_1280.png

And the twins aged up.

tumblr_ncupy6bESX1sj04wko1_1280.png

Max and James -- cutest Sim children in the Simiverse. If you disagree, you're wrong :open_mouth:
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2014

Oops! @astridentanja ;)
    Thank you (haha, don't know if this topic is still on page one but it's certainly comfortable I could just press that red button ;)).
    Let me first return the favor @Rinilex
    Sounds like that - apart from objective reasons - you have the same issue with the game as I am.
    The reason I asked is because the other day I saw someone who loves the new game (on another forum) mentioning he didn't quite see yet how to get into story's in S4 (and he was a terrific storyteller and legacy player in S3).
    It made me wonder, but like you say, a lot of people are playing legacy's obviously (and they even move a lot faster than I did in S3!; it took me four years of quite intensive playing to reach generation 20).

To be honest I don't care for the baby's in S3 that much either. Although you can take them anywhere, there's something object-like to them too (they all look the same and like a little package really). I saw baby pictures of S2 yesterday on this forum and someone commented there was a lot of cc on those pictures, but in fact I would have expected the sequel (especially a sequel that puts the sims themselves in the center) to actually have animations and interactions like that.

I think however things wouldn't be so bad if there would have been toddlers. The kids in 4 look really cute and as I understand it they are fun to play with (my computer stopped running S4 properly after my baby son grew up so I can't find out myself for the time being). I think it would make a huge difference if cute toddlers with great interactions would be added to the game.

And I get what you say about the teens. My teens in 3 look horrible, but I can live with that because it is a clearly seperated life stage in looks and I know everything will turn out right once they get YA :#

As for 'there's nothing to do and nowhere to go', I hope EP's are going to take care of that. It's the very reason I'm not in a hurry to get my computer problem with 4 fixed, I've got time. Your last two issues are big issues for me as well and I'm afraid not likely to be 'solved'. It's just the direction they chose and a lot of people do like it, so that's just us I guess lol.

Anyway: many thanks for your reply.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited October 2014
    I wish the teens had different clothes than the YA/As. When they age up, they still look like they did as a teen. I don't know, maybe there are subtle differences in their looks, but having them stay in the same clothes make the subtleties disappear.

I do love the game, though. My legacy founder is still trying to get an actual house put together so he can marry one of the two lovely redheads he's befriended. Haven't got that chapter posted yet.