Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    Today is the last day to enter your builds for the challenge! Also, this is the 401st comment.
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    celdys0n wrote: »
    Today is the last day to enter your builds for the challenge! Also, this is the 401st comment.
    I hope I get it finished on time. Still need to work on the balcony and overall gardening, then on with the slideshow. I'm really enjoying this challenge and have not really too much trouble with the budget, I got more than what's needed.... Though for future challenges, I would also like smaller builds.
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    Challenge #: 2
    Forum ID: Rostri-Jodu
    Origin ID: rostrijodu
    Sim: The Curtis Clan (including Douglas Curtis III)
    Penthouse: Thunder Heights
    Link to entry slideshow: http://imgur.com/a/Ujlhz#0
    Entry Details: A 40 x 30 Residential Lot, with 2 Bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms, Valued at 149,966 Simoleons, Including the Lot
    Credit for CC/Recolors: N/A
    Post edited by Rostri-Jodu on
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    edited October 2014
    Whew! Cutting it close on this one -- I wasn't sure I was going to finish in time. :)

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    Challenge #: 2
    Forum ID: ahholladay
    Origin ID: ahholladay
    Sim: Douglas Curtis, III; Mansion Baron, Business Savvy, Romantic, Self-Assured, Loves the Outdoors. What a fun character! He was so well described that I felt like I 'knew' him and had a blast poking (gentle) fun at him. Some of my picture captions began venturing into 'story territory' so lol, feel free to disregard my goofy commentary and thanks for letting me play with your character. :)
    Lot: The Curtis Penthouse
    Link to entry slideshow: The Curtis Penthouse

Entry Details:
    Lot size: 30x20
    Lot type: Residential
    Price: New price! 147,223 + 2,000 (I bulldozed the Daisy Hovel lot for this build) for a total of 149,223
    Contains some of the Sims 3 plumbob reward lamps

Description: When I saw the word 'penthouse' used for the second challenge, I got really excited. I thought it would be fun to see how much I could strrreeetttcchhh three floors to try to make the building look like a highrise, so even though the challenge became 'penthouse-like', I decided to stick with my original plan; the lofty views from the windows and balcony of the penthouse were something I just couldn't give up! Obviously, with the budget, I wasn't able to fully build the entire building, so I did something a little weird here -- since Sims 4 gives us the ability to build 'floating' houses, I decided to build just the stairs leading up to the penthouse for the first two levels. That enabled me to stay within budget AND have my lofty views. :) I've shared this to the gallery as-is for the challenge, but I've also shared a version ('Luxury Penthouse') that has the entire building with the first two floors empty and ready for people to customize as they see fit -- maybe build a big gym and bar or an office-y looking space, art studio, etc.

Credit for CC/Recolors: (In the sims only, none in the building)
    Male body hair by LumiaLover: lumialoversims.tumblr.com/post/96874663759/body-hair-v3-hello-everyo-wait-900-followers
    Default eye replacement by Vampire_aninyosaloh: modthesims.info/download.php?t=533372

ETA: Omg, dying here. I'm looking at the items now available with the new buydebug cheat added today and thinking of how much I needed some different 'artifacts' for Douglas' penthouse. I'm not going to redecorate and rephotograph now, but it's so tempting....
    Post edited by simsinmysleep on
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Hmm...I would have liked to have done that but we were told to do one floor! Nicely done, @ahholladay!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    Hmm...I would have liked to have done that but we were told to do one floor! Nicely done, @ahholladay!

Yeah, I struggled with it and in the end, just really wanted to build it as a penthouse. If the stairs count as full floors, I'm perfectly okay with being disqualified! I just wanted to try the challenge and to share it with y'all anyway. :)
    KGLsNuM.jpg
    edited October 2014

It's still one floor.... Even if she left the building beneath it, the penthouse is still one floor.... Just thinking out of the box.
    edited October 2014
    @ahholladay, that is an awesome idea with the penthouse challenge! I just used the foundation to give me a lift, but to go ahead and take advantage of floating house is mind blowing. I am positive they will not disqualify because your house still meets the requirement of one floor.

Love it, just love it!
    Thanks, you guys! I really wouldn't mind if I couldn't compete though! I just love, love, LOVE the challenges themselves. They cause me to build things I would never have thought of building on my own and they make me try to be creative. If someone doesn't challenge me, I'm just going to build a million 'grandma houses'. :D
    KGLsNuM.jpg
    A little question to sort something out. For the budget, is it the value we see when we save the lot? As there is also always some value added because of the lot itself, and that depends on where you place it. I think for keeping it simple, we should stick to the value we see on sharing, so we can choose on which lot we build it, as not everyone likes evict sims or slope lots to build the new one. Just my thoughts, but I would like some feedback on this. thx.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    A little question to sort something out. For the budget, is it the value we see when we save the lot? As there is also always some value added because of the lot itself, and that depends on where you place it. I think for keeping it simple, we should stick to the value we see on sharing, so we can choose on which lot we build it, as not everyone likes evict sims or slope lots to build the new one. Just my thoughts, but I would like some feedback on this. thx.

I sure hope it's the Gallery price, because that's what I went with!

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • DavlanDavlan Posts: 87 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 2
    FORUM ID: Davlan
    ORIGIN ID: Davlan01
    LOT: Lot is called "Veridian" on the origin ID Davlan01
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/V7IXy#0
    ENTRY DETAILS: The Veridian is a modern penthouse-style build on a small lot. It comes complete with 2 bedroom and 2 baths. The price is very affordable at only $119,939 (including the balcony).

I wanted to accent the exterior with interesting features to make this build stand out from the rest. The front of the home has two glass pillars, as well as a fountain. The roof also has some lovely fence patterning as well as a skylight for the lobby!

The interior of the home has a green/brown theme running throughout. The kitchen is very modern and well-equipped for preparing meals for entertaining. Despite being on a small lot, the home also includes a full 6-seat dining table. A games table is also available for hanging out with friends. Both bedrooms are spacious and include a place for changing and getting ready for the day. The two bathrooms are sumptuous and evoke a spa-like experience. The patio includes a second bar as well as a grill and music, ready to party the night away! The entire house has many large windows to let in lots of natural light.

I hope you enjoy the build!

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None used
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    edited October 2014

Yes, the 150k does include the price of the lot.

I believe this answers your question. It was posted as a reply, to an earlier question, on the 19th of September. Sorry. :(

• KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (please copy and past into your entry post)

CHALLENGE #: 2

FORUM ID: KelSimmie

ORIGIN ID: KelSimmie

SIM: Douglas Curtis III

LOT: Curtis Penthouse Suite & Curtis Penthouse Balcony

LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: imgur.com/a/UmGnn#0

ENTRY DETAILS: The Curtis Penthouse Suite is found on Hollow Slough, a high end community. In fact, it is right across the street from the Goth's. I think Mr. Curtis will be pleased with his Penthouse Suite. As he walks in, he will see his tablet on the counter in the Foyer. To his right, through the door, he will find his Master Suite which includes a Study (Desk, Computer, Bookshelf, Loveseat, and Fireplace), Bathroom (complete with both a Shower and a Jetted Tub), Bedroom (contains another Bookshelf and comfortable Loveseat), and a Walk-In Closet (fully stocked with Clothing, Shoes, and a Dresser). To his left through the Arch, Mr. Curtis will find an Eat-In Kitchen, and then through the double Arch's is the Formal Dining Room (with seating for 8), after entering the Dining Room, the first Arch to the right is the Living Room (with comfortable seating in front of a Large Screen TV, some trinkets and trophies that Mr. Curtis has found/won can be seen on display), the second arch to the right leads to a large Entertainment Room (Chess Table, Card Table, Exercise Equipment {Treadmill and Weight Lifting apparatus), large Stereo, Guitar, as well as a Painting Easel and Woodworking Bench. Through the first door on the left is the Guest Bathroom which includes both a Bathtub and Shower. Through the second door on the left is a Guest Bedroom. And finally, through the door on the far end, Mr. Curtis will find a Balcony fit for Entertaining guests. It features a Grand Fountain, Benches for sitting and admiring the Fountain, Dining Tables, Piano, Grill, Flaming Tiki Bar, large Stereo, and an Outdoor Chess table.

Cost of Lot: $149,914 Simoleons

Cost of Balcony: $21,947 Simoleons

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    Post edited by KelSimmie on
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
    edited October 2014

I believe this answers your question. It was posted as a reply, to an earlier question, on the 19th of September. Sorry. :(

No prob. Thx for pointing it out. Guess I forgot about it. I deleted some objects and replaced others with cheaper versions and re-uploaded it to the gallery. Slideshow and entry form coming soon. But I still think it will be easier for both participants and judges to have the price from the gallery entry.

Well, that's not entirely a bad thing, I guess. I just had a look in game, and when I check the info for the build on the lot where I'd placed it, it's showing a cost of $131.950. I don't know what would cause such a big difference in price, but it is actually lower than the Gallery price by a good amount (which works for me!). Guess I'll just update my entry to show both prices...

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    I deleted some objects and replaced others with cheaper versions and re-uploaded it to the gallery.

Same here. I actually had a quick, easy fix -- for some reason I'd used the 'Modern Floating Stairway' for the stairs that aren't even seen in the penthouse and they're crazy expensive compared to the cheapest ones, so I swapped them out and reuploaded.

While I was editing the stairs, I resisted the temptation to put some more 'artifacts' in the penthouse using the new buydebug cheat because I don't know how those are going to be handled in the build and share challenges -- there are some seriously cool decorative items in debug but they're 0 simoleons, so I figured I'd better not dress things up with them until I know if they're allowed. Were the free buydebug items allowed in Sims 3 build and share challenges?

KGLsNuM.jpg
    ahholladay wrote: »
    I deleted some objects and replaced others with cheaper versions and re-uploaded it to the gallery.

Same here. I actually had a quick, easy fix -- for some reason I'd used the 'Modern Floating Stairway' for the stairs that aren't even seen in the penthouse and they're crazy expensive compared to the cheapest ones, so I swapped them out and reuploaded.

While I was editing the stairs, I resisted the temptation to put some more 'artifacts' in the penthouse using the new buydebug cheat because I don't know how those are going to be handled in the build and share challenges -- there are some seriously cool decorative items in debug but they're 0 simoleons, so I figured I'd better not dress things up with them until I know if they're allowed. Were the free buydebug items allowed in Sims 3 build and share challenges?
    Ah, pretty sure I read somewhere in the guidelines that you weren't supposed to use $0 or super cheap price debug items... Maybe it's best for this challenge that they didn't come out 'til today!

Question for you: was your Gallery price actually lower than the lot price shown in game? My Gallery price was way higher, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm looking at the wrong number.
    edited October 2014
    @BryonyRae, my gallery price was way higher too, so I used that one. I figured the lower price in build info was showing the depreciation of everything since it dropped instantly (or almost instantly) as soon as I moved Douglas in to play test it. I remember they said to make a note of the value of the lot before play testing, so I did that, and when I saved it to my library, it saved at that same price I'd written down, so it looks like the gallery price adjusts that automatically for us. But then, if we use the gallery price, we have to add back in the cost of the lot, I guess.

That makes sense about not using the debug items for a challenge with a budget, but I sure am going to miss the use of those items in future challenges! When we have a few more expansion/stuff packs and extra content it won't be so tough, but right now it's hard to fill a large home with stuff and not use multiples of things.

ETA: Weird, quoting wasn't working right for me. I tried a couple of times and the end quote code was definitely after the quoted part and before my answer, but it still showed up as me quoting myself. :/
    KGLsNuM.jpg
    BryonyRae wrote: »

Ah, pretty sure I read somewhere in the guidelines that you weren't supposed to use $0 or super cheap price debug items... Maybe it's best for this challenge that they didn't come out 'til today!

Question for you: was your Gallery price actually lower than the lot price shown in game? My Gallery price was way higher, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm looking at the wrong number.

Did you played the lot?
    @BryonyRae, my gallery price was way higher too, so I used that one. I figured the lower price in build info was showing the depreciation of everything since it dropped instantly (or almost instantly) as soon as I moved Douglas in to play test it. I remember they said to make a note of the value of the lot before play testing, so I did that, and when I saved it to my library, it saved at that same price I'd written down, so it looks like the gallery price adjusts that automatically for us.

Another reason to use the 'gallery' price, it's way easier... And you don't have to upload your lot to see that price, just save it to your library.

• EEtheridgeEEtheridge Posts: 585 Member
    My gallery price it lower that my build cost, I just figured that it was because I moved Douglas into it and played him so I could take pix. Is that going to effect our entries?
    MyTS4Signature_zpsa6ba606a.jpg
    View my homes in the Gallery, Origin ID: EEtheridge
    Wow @Davlan, your use of modern design is beautiful and appealing to the eye! Love your entry
  • DavlanDavlan Posts: 87 Member
    @celdys0n Thank you very much! I really liked your build, your use of wall decorations made the whole place seem like a gallery! Definitely a place I think a collector would love to live :)
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    o.O Holy Plumbbob! I told myself I wasn't going to enter Challenge #2, but decided to go for it anyway. But... after looking at all the other entries so far, I give up! lol *hits bulldoze button* GAH!

Y'all are so dang talented, no way can my puny efforts compete. I'll just sit back and admire what you guys make from now on and not kid myself anymore. Great job everyone, my chin's all scraped up from dragging on the ground in awe! :)

Just remember that this is simply a challenge to you to show us your ideas as a designer no matter what level you are. The most important part of these challenges is to have fun!

Side note: it took me three bulldozes to find my inspiration

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top