Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buggy Mess

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
Note: Bugs since 12/16/2014 patch are in second post.

Lest anyone think that despite the long list Crinrict has been compiling, that any given individual is only experiencing one or two of these bugs in his or her game. . .

I started documenting my bugs early on and stopped when I got overwhelmed with tracking the bugs, images, videos and trying to figure out how to document them. But, the game is so buggy, I can't play any more. The biggest issue is the frequent crashing and the saves either crashing or saving incorrectly (#9 and #10). In 4 days worth and several hours worth of attempts, I have not progressed a single Sim minute in the game because of crashes and saves reverting to previous versions of the game. Note: The "repair game" option that luthienrising suggested helped with the crashes (not the other bugs as far as I can tell, but the crashes).

Bugs

1. Purchasing a microphone in another swatch color does not satisfy joke aspiration. Purchasing microphone in default color does. resolved in a patch.
2. Performing comedy routine in space does not count toward Comedy career daily requirement.
3. Cannot place roofs. Only half of roof is visible, disappears when finished building them, etc resolved in a patch. 4. Can’t wash dishes despite functioning sink and empty trashcan. Workaround: Can sometimes drag and drop dishes into trashcan. 5. Sometimes when traveling, another Sim will come home from work and their UI will remain grayed out. Sims can still interact with the world, but their stats can’t be viewed. Workaround: Click on Sim and opt to “Leave Work Early”. Or wait until the Sim comes home the next work day. 6. Sims “locked out” of house after returning from travel. Workaround: have them move around a bunch and talk to each other first, then try indoor activities again. This may take several attempts. (I tried to get video of this early on, but didn't realize the UI was turned off for filming by default. So, the video doesn't show much since you can't see the various commands that I'm trying to give my Sims.) have not had this happen for two new games 7. Options appear multiple times on pie menu such as “Ask to Leave” or "French Toast".
rqvij6.jpg
n2emaw.jpg
8. a. Sims are sometimes blocked by invisible obstacles. In the picture below, the Sim can't figure out how to route so she can chat with the guy standing right in front of her.
veue1.jpg

b. Sim autonomously cancelled cooking instruction, and then was unable to resume cooking grilled cheese (as shown in video). I chucked the grilled cheese and started a new grilled cheese dish, which the Sim was able to complete without a problem.
9. Various Animation Problems

a. Objects sometimes get stuck in hands or floating in mid-air. In above picture, the paintbrush is stuck in her hand even though she is no longer painting. Sometimes handheld objects will float or appear, disappear, and reappear near the Sim as the fork below.
b. Sometimes Sims pee themselves.
oqggec.jpg

10. Sometimes options aren't available on the computer. The reason given is that the computer is broken, but it's obviously not as there is no option to repair or replace and other computer related activities are available. has not happened in my latest game
a1ibmc.jpg
11. Sometimes I get notifications about Sims I'm not in control of. In the picture below, Kiera is a player-created Sim who lives on another lot, and is not part of the household being played, but the game notifies me of some of her actions anyway.
30n8xzo.jpg
12. Option to "make toast" sometimes appears instead of normal greetings. has not happened in latest game
5vrho3.jpg
13. ***Debug***. A few items will get ***Debug*** among their options. I tried repair, which failed. I tried a reinstallation, which did seem to delete all the ***debug*** items, but they reappeared. the clean install that helped others did not help me with this problem, but since starting a new game this has not reappeared
2wnqxhj.jpg

Design/Gameplay Problems

1. The UI is poorly designed. See: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/786337/the-ui-is-not-user-friendly/p1

2. Some Sims, possibly with high writing skill or creativity, do not get writers block and are therefor unable to complete the Writing Aspiration. Writers block requirement was removed in a patch.

3. I can’t tilt the view other than in cameraman mode. I don’t normally use a mouse with a scroll wheel, but even when I pulled one out to try it, there was no way to tilt the camera angle during gameplay. ( Yes, I realize some people can use ctrl + arrow keys, but this method does not work for me either.)

4. Lighting is odd. I don’t have the darkness problem that affects some, but some light settings make it look like some swatch colors don’t stay selected like the Unabashed Sofa.
Or that items that are the same color are different colors. The chairs below are the same color.
9tfn6r.jpg

5. When I click on a computer and tell them to use it, they simply go to the closest computer and work. However, with the new system, I would like to be able to direct them to a specific computer because I've set up different aura boosts next to different computers.

My specs (updated 4/15):

r6y3og.jpg

No Mods
No Custom Content
No Cheats
No Expansions

Will update with more. . .
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited July 2015
    Bugs since 12/16 patch.

1. Sim at work and missing work at the same time.

I sent my Sim to work on time, but the game had him both at work and missing work at the same time. Performance meter dropped at a very slow rate.

15qrble.jpg

When the time came for him to return home, the missing work notification canceled, but he didn't return home and his icon remained grayed out.

8zfgjk.jpg

I canceled the 'at work' option in my Sim's queue. My Sim returned home, but was invisible. His icon remained grayed out. Some interactions were not available to him like "empty trash".

20u4cps.jpg

Workaround: Sim returned home from work normally the following work day.

have not had this reoccur since last installation.

2. Sim fell asleep in bathtub when energy bar was still in the green. Feature!
    3. Crash to Desktop.
    1. Selecting Sim
    2. Traveling
    4. Catching "great" quality fish Sim has previously discovered does not count toward Angler ambition reward level 2. Catching new types of fish the Sim has not caught previously count, but catching "great" quality (or better) fish of a type that has been previously caught does not. have not noticed this recently
    5. Event goal doesn't register when more than 3 people chatting. The event goal didn't register for getting three people to chat when more than three people were already chatting at the time the goal appeared on the list.
    Workaround: Cancel some social interactions so that only 3 people are chatting at the same time.
    2qmpy7b.jpg
    6. Llama image sometimes substituted for correct icon image. Example:
    68tpgn.jpg
    Note: This is apparently the same as the bug that causes improper interactions when painting.
    7. Dirty Game. Small dust/trash piles not caused by fire are popping up in my game. Others don't seem to be having the same experience.have not noticed this recently
    j750ty.jpg
    8. Music plays (audibly and visibly) from stereos when my Sims return from traveling even though stereos were off before the trip and remain so upon return.It stopped playing from regular stereos (still plays for wall-mounted which may be intended)

23tf3q1.jpg
    9. Multi-tasking pairing incompatible tasks.

Example: My Sim cannot possibly play chess (ponder moves) and garden simultaneously, but the game lumps them together in the multi-task queue. I think this is an extension of the 'tend garden' function being overpowered.
    nwbzmo.jpg

Note: I repaired the game after the first bug encountered.

I got a new hard drive, so the things below are happening on a fresh installation with a completely new game (post 3/26/2015 patch):

1. Skill is stuck. Logic is always lit up on the skill tracker and percentage achieved over 100% and rising.
    zvog3t.jpg

2. Llama substitution for things other than painting:
    16m1wmo.jpg

This llama seems to be stuck permanently in the queue (as seen in bug # 4 below).

Exiting the game and returning gets rid of the llama, but leaves the entire household unable to do the action that triggered it (cooking). When an item is selected to cook, the money is subtracted from the account, but the Sim does not complete the action. Replacing the refrigerator did not help.

This Sims also cannot get any leftovers from the fridge.

They are starving to death.

Repair game seems to fix this problem for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X2yRD74R24&feature=youtu.be

3. Double Options (French toast appears twice):

n2emaw.jpg
    This is still a problem, but I paired it with the "Ask to Leave" appearing twice, which was mentioned earlier.

4. Woohoo Bug. Sim who initiates woohoo is always unsatisfied: fixed in April patch
    2lasup3.jpg

5. One of the many errors that repair game does not fix is the inventory not displaying properly the next time you open it unless the scroll bar is left all the way at the top when exiting. There is a big blank gap with nothing at the top of the panel, and many items on the bottom of the panel are not accessible. (It's only a minor annoyance, but the frustration with these kinds of things is cumulative.)

Workaround: Open the inventory panel and make sure to scroll all the way to the top and leave the bar at the top when exiting. Then reopen the inventory panel.

Edit: This error is also produced by opening a stack in the inventory forcing me to close the inventory after each and every time I access a stack. Bad for trying to sell or move garden items to the fridge as well as trying to selling off multiples of any sort.

This seems to have been fixed in an update.

6. Actions get stuck in queue. Traveling or leaving the lot does not resolve the issue. Restarting the game does.
    2h4yumx.jpg

7. When I tried to exit the game, I couldn't. I had to close the game via task manager.

8. Family Size and Party Size are reversed for blackened bass so it's more expensive to cook for 4 than it is for 8.

Note: I just made the blackened bass, and it seem to be just a text error. Making the family size for 8 actually makes 4 servings.

533ej7.jpg

9. The convo meter is stuck in a slightly different way. I used "ask to leave" for the first time and that Sim left yesterday (Sim time). However, her convo meter remained, and now that new friends are over their convo meters don't appear.

zl68t3.jpg

10. If my Sim is late by even 1 minute, then his or her work performance suffers for the whole workday instead of just the time missed. It has been this way from the start, but my Sims have only been late to work a couple of times. Now that I'm playing a game where they're switching jobs more frequently and have changing work schedules, it happens more often.
    2pt5x88.jpg

11. Sometimes I can't stack the queue because the queue is often indicated as full even when there are only one or two items lined up. It happens most often with chat.

2wh4h7d.jpg

12. My Sim's computer just disappeared. I had him sit down to "write jokes" and then *blip* it was gone, so he wandered off to dance. The computer is not in the family or personal inventory. It's just gone. (It was the Respecterion, not the Ghostwriter, which I guess is supposed to do things like that?)

13. Got the "What Makes a Sim Turn Neutral?" achievement for keeping my Sim in the "fine" state for 48 hours, except today alone both my Sims have been energized, inspired, flirty, playful and even focused as they are when they get the award.

14uawjp.jpg

14. Sometimes inventory items get stuck on the cursor. Traveling does not resolve this (as some has said it does for them). Restarting the game does.

15. I tried to record how the death of a friend produced no reaction in Sims, and instead got the lovely recording below. I have had this happen a few times. I'm not sure what causes it. It does not happen with every recording, and gameplay and recording look fine. It's during playback that I discover this. The first episode was on April 9. I've had a couple more since then (also a couple of videos that were fine).

16. The game freezes for long periods of time. I tried to get video, but the last error I posted (bad video/audio) struck again.

My Sim was at the park playing chess with a friend when everyone at the park froze except for one kid playing on the gym set. I tried cancelling all actions, but they wouldn't cancel and remained exed out in the queue. It had no effect on frozen Sims either. I fast forwarded for a bit, but the Sims didn't snap out of it. I tried adding various actions, but to no effect. I went into build mode and moved the chess table so the Sims would reset, and when I reentered live mode everyone snapped out of it. This happens periodically as a number of people are reporting.

4/23 -- This bug continues to get worse. It happens once or twice a Sim day. I can't get really good video because of the video error I'm having with this game. But, here's a small snippet.

17. Started a new household in the same neighborhood--merged new family to existing one, kicked out existing family. Ran repair game.

Can't purchase books.
    11snq1d.jpg

Can't purchase any items from computer.

23r3ig5.jpg

Workaround for both problems: delete bookcase or computer and purchase a new one.

18. Coffee pot disappears every day or two. One household has gone through 8 coffee pots and 2 tea pots. It seems to be connected to the maid. Coffee pots were not disappearing until I decided to have my Sim talk to the maid one day. Ever since then they have been disappearing, either after a maid visit, returning home from travel, or starting a new game. These events are not consistent triggers, but I think every time the pots have disappeared, it's been after these events. (Additionally, I started alternating between two different maids for that house, where as I had *only* had one maid per neighborhood previously, no matter how many houses I played or what interactions I had with the maid.)

19. Maid doesn't show up for work on Mondays. I know they are not supposed to show up for work on the weekends, but they never show up on Mondays either. Three days in a row is a long time with no maid for a paid, daily service.

20. Can no longer drag and drop items. I can't drag food or drinks to the fridge or trash, books to the shelves, or anything else.

21. Yup, another one. My needs icons show up sometimes and sometimes they don't.(See hunger and hygiene in the image below.) I've tried repairing the game and cleaning out the cache, but the problem persists.

euj7yf.jpg

22. I'm getting the bug where the friendship status is showing up as 'impartial' and my Sims are unable to make new friends.

2n8oe9w.jpg
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Reserved.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Have you tried these steps?
    1. Origin > Sims 4 > Repair Game
    2. http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/

Both might clear at least some of your problems.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Thanks, @Luthienrising. I'm trying those suggestions out now. :)
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Wow! @greenXen, this must be driving you nuts. I can't imagine trying to play the game with all those things going on. I've had a few buggy things happen but some of these are mind-boggling. Sorry you're having to deal with that. I hope the game repair thing works for you!
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Ralf453Ralf453 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Dang, hope you get it all sorted out. The Great Plumbob knows I've had my fair share of issues with TS3 :\
    grumpy-cat-lick.gif
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Wow! @greenXen, this must be driving you nuts. I can't imagine trying to play the game with all those things going on. I've had a few buggy things happen but some of these are mind-boggling. Sorry you're having to deal with that. I hope the game repair thing works for you!

Lol, thanks for the sympathy. It's a welcome change from the 'blame the victim' mentality some seem to have toward those experiencing problems with their games. It is frustrating, but I haven't done a re-install yet, so I'm hopeful. I'm going to try Luthienrising's suggestions first though.

Ralf453 wrote: »
    Dang, hope you get it all sorted out. The Great Plumbob knows I've had my fair share of issues with TS3 :\

@Ralf453, thanks. The funny thing for me was that although I later had a bunch of problems with TS3, I had very few with the base game and was actually pleasantly surprised by how few bugs I had. The opposite of many people's experiences, I know.

This is in General Discussion now? I know I posted it in Tech Help. A personal bug list is a strange thing to move back into the General Discussion section.
  • WillowWillow Posts: 268 Member
    I am impressed with how you have cataloged the issues so thoroughly, that alone deserves some individual attention from EA to help you with these bugs considering you took so much time writing them out like this. I have encountered several of your issues and posted some with crinrict, but honestly, I am not sure if it's doing any good. I haven't noticed any of the issues I experience being corrected with the last few patches my game has had.

I am taken aback to say the least at how many issues/bugs there are with this game and feel like it's still in beta testing mode. Lately my sims love to get stuck in doorways and gates and swivel around for awhile before moving again and that is driving me a a bit mad, but it seems like you have an endless amount of problems. Most of my bugs don't interfere with gameplay but once your game starts crashing it becomes infuriating. When my game lost ALL my saves I almost blew a gasket! I have to back up my saves folder constantly now as I do not trust this game to secure my saves like it should be.

Since then I have experienced a few crashes, but considering the mods I have had to put in to make the gameplay more tolerable it could be attributed to that. I am beginning to doubt that seeing how many with no mods are having their games crash much more frequently than what I have experienced. I hope someone takes the time to help you out, or at least acknowledge you, as it would be the decent thing to do after all your troubles.
    Death by Cow Plant @ youtube: My first Sim Cow Plant Death
    Angry Poops aren't angry enough

15266541567_b097f729db.jpgg7XI2AJ.gif
    Willow wrote: »
    I am taken aback to say the least at how many issues/bugs there are with this game and feel like it's still in beta testing mode. Lately my sims love to get stuck in doorways and gates and swivel around for awhile before moving again and that is driving me a a bit mad, but it seems like you have an endless amount of problems. Most of my bugs don't interfere with gameplay but once your game starts crashing it becomes infuriating. When my game lost ALL my saves I almost blew a gasket! I have to back up my saves folder constantly now as I do not trust this game to secure my saves like it should be.

Oh my goodness. I didn't realize losing all your save games was a thing. Something to look forward to, too I guess. *eyeroll*

I'm sorry you're having so many issues as well. I feel your pain. :) I'm still hoping some of this will get fixed in a patch and that they are just taking their time trying to ensure their fixes don't make things worse.

Have you tried some of the repair game, factory reset, or re-install solutions? I've seen some people say it helped, and others not. I'm about to try them myself.

Good luck!
  • alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    So many bugs, to be honest the only bug I have is the maid never went to work and never clean.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    So many bugs, to be honest the only bug I have is the maid never went to work and never clean.

Lucky you.

• xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    edited October 2014
    *TS3 wearing it's buggiest game crown*
    *TS4 crashes in*
    TS4: Gimme that!
    *TS4 takes it and runs away*
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • SugarysimSugarysim Posts: 440 Member

When my game lost ALL my saves I almost blew a gasket! I have to back up my saves folder constantly now as I do not trust this game to secure my saves like it should be.

*eyebrows raise*

*puts cup of hot drink down*

*runs to back-up save files*.

Nu-uh this isn't happening to me. I only play one family, but still!
    E6Gi2HA.png
  • Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    A very impressive and thorough list.

Actually I say thorough, I fear this could just be scratching the surface.

My experience is that I have experienced many of these glitches, and added to the plain annoying things like 'chimps tea-party' lunchtimes, people trying to continue conversations when you are going to pee etc, the game has become very frustrating to say the least.

The fact that things like the conversation bar & skill bar glitches exist just points to inadequate play-testing to my mind. Which is just 'shabby'.
    I was so excited when I read the news about the patch to be released, but unfortunately the bugs they did address weren't the ones reported here, as far as I can tell.

I did notice that one of the 'fixes' was to add a tip when you hover over 'enable/disable aura'. The one for the reward lamps doesn't make sense since it says that the aura is only granted when you view the object, but there is no option to view the object.
    2mwugl2.jpg

• WillowWillow Posts: 268 Member
    greenXen wrote: »

Oh my goodness. I didn't realize losing all your save games was a thing. Something to look forward to, too I guess. *eyeroll*

I'm sorry you're having so many issues as well. I feel your pain. :) I'm still hoping some of this will get fixed in a patch and that they are just taking their time trying to ensure their fixes don't make things worse.

Have you tried some of the repair game, factory reset, or re-install solutions? I've seen some people say it helped, and others not. I'm about to try them myself.

Good luck!
    Sugarysim wrote: »

When my game lost ALL my saves I almost blew a gasket! I have to back up my saves folder constantly now as I do not trust this game to secure my saves like it should be.

*eyebrows raise*

*puts cup of hot drink down*

*runs to back-up save files*.

Nu-uh this isn't happening to me. I only play one family, but still!

Yes you can read the thread reports of sims vanishing here on crinricts thread:

Click here to read no less than 25 pages of complaints of lost files/sims.

There is a new thread now to replace that one as this issue is still ongoing. Make sure you use the "Save As" feature and not save or save and exit. Save and exit seems to be the culprit for a lot of people.

So yes, back up your save files daily as this is very common for Sims to vanish in small groups or your entire neighborhood.

The only thing I noticed after this update today is my insane sim can now talk to herself, so yay for that I guess?
    Death by Cow Plant @ youtube: My first Sim Cow Plant Death
    Angry Poops aren't angry enough

15266541567_b097f729db.jpgg7XI2AJ.gif
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Oh wow so many bugs at the base game. That's a lot. I wonder if it's just some simple clean up that can help it. I wonder if it's just a problem of finding the error and fixing it.

You know what would be great is if the game recorded the coding so you can send it in to the dev's. That way they can use the fanbase to find bugs faster.
  • KrowpaKrowpa Posts: 56 Member
    I feel really, really bad for you. Especially since it seems so many people are just playing and enjoying the game with a minimum of problems. I hope everything gets fixed for you and you are able to enjoy the game as much as a lot of us are. (And, while I know it is a bad question, are you sure everything is okay with your system? Last time I had bad problems with a game it turned out my brand new hard drive was going bad.)
    Thanks, @Willow. I have been using the "save as" feature and know that it's been encouraged on the boards.

@Anavastia, they had something like that in Sims 2. I think it was useful. I don't know how much it helped the Maxis devs, who did collect that info sometimes, but I do remember having a modder quickly make a custom mod for me based on those reports.
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    Thanks, @Willow. I have been using the "save as" feature and know that it's been encouraged on the boards.

@Anavastia, they had something like that in Sims 2. I think it was useful. I don't know how much it helped the Maxis devs, who did collect that info sometimes, but I do remember having a modder quickly make a custom mod for me based on those reports.

I'd say that's a feature that needs to return back in the game than
    Krowpa wrote: »
    I feel really, really bad for you. Especially since it seems so many people are just playing and enjoying the game with a minimum of problems. I hope everything gets fixed for you and you are able to enjoy the game as much as a lot of us are. (And, while I know it is a bad question, are you sure everything is okay with your system? Last time I had bad problems with a game it turned out my brand new hard drive was going bad.)

@Krowpa, thanks. As far as I can tell my system is fine. Most of these bugs are things that I've seen other people report having problems with, so I don't think it's limited to my system.

• ArkaneArkane Posts: 20,224 Member
    Yeah the clipping is annoying, but until it gets fixed, think of it as a mutant super power like Phasing.
    Potential Is Everything

Origin ID: BadArkane

XYeo1vn.png
    Good attitude, @adayinthelife942. Who said there were no supernaturals in the base game before today's ghost patch?