Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

@SimGuruModSquad: Non-default skin tones?

Snaitf0Snaitf0 Posts: 53 Member
Has anyone figured out a way to add non-default skin tones to the game? I don't mean as an overlay via tattoos or details, but an actual additional skin tone. I haven't seen anything on this yet, and am wondering if anyone has made any progress in this area.

EDIT: OK, so I've made some definite progress, but seem to have hit a brick wall. I am able to clone one of the TONE files (type: 0x0354796A), and figured out where it points to the skintone textures. So, I can clone the textures, edit them, and update the TONE file to point to the new textures. I can even edit the color of the new swatch and change the swatch's position within the list of skintones in CAS.

And it looks great... IN CAS... When I go to use it in game, the sims' skin is pitch black. And when I try to edit the sim via testingcheats and enable full cas, when I look at the skintone, none of them are selected. It's as if once it goes into the game, it's not using any skintone at all.

@SimGuruModSquad: Why would the new skintone look great in CAS but not even show up at all in game? And, might there be any possibility of getting a template for the TONE files?

Thanks in advance...
Post edited by Snaitf0 on

Comments

• Snaitf0Snaitf0 Posts: 53 Member
    edited September 2014
    Ok, so again, I've answered my own question. It seems it was the new instance id I was using for my cloned TONE file was messing it up. Anything larger than an FNV24 with all the higher bits set to 0 and the new TONE won't work properly in-game. I'm curious as to why a larger instance id makes it work in CAS but not in-game? That's just perplexing...

Anyhow, I've posted instructions on how I made my new non-default skin tone (modthesims.info/download.php?t=536838) on MTS forums here - modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=536841

@SimGuruModSquad - I would still like to know if it would be possible to get a template for the TONE files, unless that's asking too much. Either way, thanks for reading!
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    Helping out with the @SimGuruModSquad business.
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    And the link to Snaitf's skintone: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=536838

And the tut! http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=536841

Thanks for working that out and sharing your findings, @Snaitf -- let the skintones begin ;)