Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Is Safe to Delete To Make Your Game Much Faster.

You go to your documents, then Electronic Arts > The Sims 4.

You can delete the file localthumbcache.package. It gets bigger and bigger fast.

You can delete everything inside the folder cache. EXCEPT THE FILE FileCache.

If you have too many items in your Library, you can put them online, uploading all lots, rooms and households you want to save.

Then you can delete the files inside the Tray folder. But, here's a stern warning: your Library will be gone and when you want those lots, rooms and households back, you'll have to download them from your account. Things downloaded from other simmers will also be gone. The game will be much faster, but at a price. Therefore, I only recommend this last step if you really need a faster loading. I myself only do step one and two.

Comments

• pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Bump for usefulness. :)
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    How much faster will it make it? So far, my load times are under 30 seconds to go to a lot. And usually under 5 seconds to go to the map.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    How much faster will it make it? So far, my load times are under 30 seconds to go to a lot. And usually under 5 seconds to go to the map.

Mine are never over 5s. But, then again, I have a mid-range gaming rig.

What I can say is that when loading times were getting longer, almost reaching 10s, I did it and they were all up to 5s again.
    Thanks for sharing :#

You are welcome.
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Bookmarked, thanks.
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Bookmarked, thanks.

;)
  • AUWoofieAUWoofie Posts: 186 Member
    I've done this and i still have like 40 seconds load times :(
    If i start a fresh game, they are only 15-20 seconds and then slowly creep up :(
    edited September 2014
    Mitch656 wrote: »
    I've done this and i still have like 40 seconds load times :(
    If i start a fresh game, they are only 15-20 seconds and then slowly creep up :(

It has been working for me, but I'm not playing Live Mode that much yet.

However, plenty of simmers state that it helps.

Other tips would be playing with Origin offline and turning off you anti-virus.

@Mitch656
  • CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    localthumbcache definitely seems to have the most effect - while my load times are not bad at all, I can gain a few seconds back by cleaning the caches out about once a week. Really need Maxis to automate this though.

Also, if you need a quick link to detailed instructions, please see my sig too - Crinrict's page is there.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
    edited September 2014
    Crackseed wrote: »
    localthumbcache definitely seems to have the most effect - while my load times are not bad at all, I can gain a few seconds back by cleaning the caches out about once a week. Really need Maxis to automate this though.

Also, if you need a quick link to detailed instructions, please see my sig too - Crinrict's page is there.

My loading times are around 5s. Sometimes it slows down to around 10s... I do steps one and two above and it goes back to normal.
  • CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    pguida wrote: »
    Crackseed wrote: »

My loading times are around 5s. Sometimes it slows don to around 10s... I do steps one and two above and it goes back to normal.

Yeah, my load times are very similar and though the cache hasn't hurt me too much, I do just routinely clean it out as well as other things within Windows just to keep it all peak efficiency.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Taw3001Taw3001 Posts: 344 Member
    Thanks for the tips. I will be getting the Sims 4 sometime in the next week or two and was wondering about this after reading other posts about the game taking longer to load screens.
  • cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    this file localthumbcache.package come back when you start sims 4 up
  • AstasiaAstasia Posts: 238 Member
    The only thing I've found to have much effect on load times is lot complexity of surrounding houses. The upscale neighborhoods are really bad, and take 2-3 times as long to load into than the cheaper areas. Bulldozing some of the big houses helps a ton, as would going inside in build mode and stripping the insides out if you want to spend a little more time and keep the area looking nice.
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    I would suggest to drop the tray file to the desktop instead of deleting it, this way you can easily drop it back to your game whenever you need it without having to download everything again
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Astasia wrote: »
    The only thing I've found to have much effect on load times is lot complexity of surrounding houses. The upscale neighborhoods are really bad, and take 2-3 times as long to load into than the cheaper areas. Bulldozing some of the big houses helps a ton, as would going inside in build mode and stripping the insides out if you want to spend a little more time and keep the area looking nice.
    May be some truth to that because the CPU and GPU has to process that info and if it is large it may take time.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited September 2014
    I only have 4 files in there, the others are jpg images, which I always remove. I have a really good gaming rig and my game runs great, now after patches and I do not seem to get many files in the game. my loading times are about 2s for loading screens, and about 5s for startup all that weird stuff that comes on with the sims 4 advertisements is what takes up the time, and if I load Origin in the game, that takes up some time, still only about 5s. Goldmolder, we have the same video card, and memory I have the same processor speed, I have a MSI motherboard but I have 850 watt Thermaltake and a water cooling system. My computer gets hot playing the game sometimes, and I am looking for another fan or a CPU cooler, but when I check the CPU it is only 18, is that good?
  • Star_GirlStar_Girl Posts: 317 Member
    I timed how long It took for my sim to travel from his home to the gym in willow creek....1 min 54 sec :( I will try these thankyou
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'm doing a Save As with a fresh filename once per Sim day right now and noticing that it always leaves me with a smaller file size than the autosave. Really makes me wonder what's up with the file composition. I don't know yet if it affects load time. I keep having to do things other than playing Sims. :(
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    junceda wrote: »
    I would suggest to drop the tray file to the desktop instead of deleting it, this way you can easily drop it back to your game whenever you need it without having to download everything again

Good advice.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I'm doing a Save As with a fresh filename once per Sim day right now and noticing that it always leaves me with a smaller file size than the autosave. Really makes me wonder what's up with the file composition. I don't know yet if it affects load time. I keep having to do things other than playing Sims. :(

Interesting! I've been only doing the normal save and never using auto save file to start the game.

I'm worried about constant rewriting of the save file vs just saving the new info. But I should look at my files. I do wonder what's going on with the compressing of files
  • 22calprincess22calprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Thank you for this! I am technologically illiterate so this is super duper helpful.
    Thank you for this! I am technologically illiterate so this is super duper helpful.

That was the intention. You're welcome.
  • shaposh2012shaposh2012 Posts: 760 Member
    5 seconds really? That's how my game was at the beginning and now it's more like 35 seconds and I don't have a terrible computer. Sigh.