Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I just bought The Sims 3

So I just bought it yesterday and I was wondering could you give me some tips

Comments

• sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    Carl's The Sims 3 Guide is a good place to start, lots of information there. Other than that, just ask questions and somebody here will have the answers :)
  • xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    Welcome to the dark side. Unfortunately no exits.

ProTip: Have fun and don't shy away from the "negative" traits (evil/insane/hot headed) they're sure to give you a lot of laughs.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Xoxk9 wrote: »
    Welcome to the dark side. Unfortunately no exits.

ProTip: Have fun and don't shy away from the "negative" traits (evil/insane/hot headed) they're sure to give you a lot of laughs.
    Or should we say: unFortunately ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Ralf453Ralf453 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Woo, congrats :D It's tons of fun!
    grumpy-cat-lick.gif
  • neutralsideneutralside Posts: 34 Member
    Tip: Don't sell the magic gnomes that appear on the home lot. They're a riot.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    You might find yourself needing to use Mods for a playable game like NRAAS which are the safest ones if you have to use Mods.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • DarkSlayer1331DarkSlayer1331 Posts: 429 Member
    I just got a new computer for TS3, but the one I had before it played the game fine right up until Seasons I think. That's when it started to lag a bit. Come University, my game's data would corrupt and I wouldn't be able to save it unless I saved it EVERY Sim night. Island Paradise and my game started crashing constantly. But that's because with all of the EPs, the game was demanding more resources than I had for it, whether it be video memory from my graphics card or higher processing speed or what have you.

Right now I'm just playing the base game, so I still don't know what my new computer can handle. But I'm hoping I won't need the mods that TadOlson mentioned, as I'm not a fan of having to do that kind of thing to make the game playable. But we'll see! Just have fun, do different things with your Sims, and explore the worlds!
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited September 2014

totally! I love the generational gnomes too. They sometimes fall in love and have baby gnomes and then they'll grow old and have tombstone gnomes o.O. I once had a whole family of gnomes, baby/children/teen gnomes, a few pet gnomes, old grandpa gnomes and a tombstone gnome alllll on my lawn. It's like a family outside of a family's house lol
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • CatrillaCatrilla Posts: 1,708 Member
    Go slow. This is a deceptively simple game requiring patience to play. There is no end goal. You have a strong community of players to rely on for questions, ideas, and fixes.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Woo! Have fun :)
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    I agree with sirguylittle - go slow and try Carl's guide if you have a question. If Carl's guide can't help you ask here.

Since The Sims is open-ended you can pretty much play any way you want - there are no goals and only you can decide if you are 'winning'. Some people find that a bit difficult. If you aren't sure what to do with your Sims, try playing a challenge such the Legacy Challenge: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/39862.page Basically the goal is to raise 10 generations of a family with no cheats - it is tough but fun.

• Sophia666Sophia666 Posts: 427 Member
    Carl's guide is a great place to check out. You could also try sims.wikia.com an awesome website.

But as people have said, play with everything but play with everything for a while. Don't rush through things just to get to the next however tempting it is! And even those of us who have been with the game since TS1 learn new things about the game all the time- just explore!

Oh, and research deleting cache files (sorry, not got computer open to check them but there should be 5 files to delete and then delete everything in the DCbackup folder but not the ccmerged file, all this is in the Sims 3 folder).
  • CalvinBruce_ukCalvinBruce_uk Posts: 576 Member
    Hi :)

Avoid the mods and play the game for a while first, see what you like and don't like then maybe go down that route to adapt your gameplay to how you like.

Enjoy! ;)
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member

welcome and enjoy yourself I loved discovering Sims 3 and still love playing today, when I first started I worked my way through the careers, the Sims traits and meanings etc, I loved gardening, collecting and cooking and just describing it now makes me want to go play :D

As everyone says Carl's guides are great, really detailed and informative.
    Dreamie209 wrote: »

totally! I love the generational gnomes too. They sometimes fall in love and have baby gnomes and then they'll grow old and have tombstone gnomes o.O. I once had a whole family of gnomes, baby/children/teen gnomes, a few pet gnomes, old grandpa gnomes and a tombstone gnome alllll on my lawn. It's like a family outside of a family's house lol

I never knew that how in the heck did you notice all that going on? I would see them start gathering around the place but I would just sell them to get them out of the way :D Do I have to watch for a certain type of gnome to see if the scenario you describe happen in game? I just realised it says magic gnome I will go see if I can find a pic of one and then watch closely when I am playing :D
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »

welcome and enjoy yourself I loved discovering Sims 3 and still love playing today, when I first started I worked my way through the careers, the Sims traits and meanings etc, I loved gardening, collecting and cooking and just describing it now makes me want to go play :D

As everyone says Carl's guides are great, really detailed and informative.

I never knew that how in the heck did you notice all that going on? I would see them start gathering around the place but I would just sell them to get them out of the way :D Do I have to watch for a certain type of gnome to see if the scenario you describe happen in game? I just realised it says magic gnome I will go see if I can find a pic of one and then watch closely when I am playing :D

Gnomes don't always do this - just the 'magic' ones that you get once in a while. And even the Magic Gnomes don't always work the way they should. For the longest time my Magic Gnomes did nothing - then (I think it was after I installed Seasons) all of a sudden they started teleporting around the lot. I find them watching TV or listening to the stereo - or in the most inconvenient places, blocking my Sims paths. They usually only move once a day - for me it is just before dawn. They making a little popping sound when they teleport - that might help.
    Schweighsr

Thanks I will be on the lookout for those, I have never really noticed them other than them getting in the way and then I sell them because they are a nuisance lol next time I will wait and see what happens :D

My simmies had a mansion at the time and while I saw one or two on my lawn (sometimes they'd go inside the house too lol), one day later I noticed a baby gnome randomly pop up around the lawn and backyard too. Earlier today I finally found out that if two normal gnomes or more are on your lot, and they watch your sims get married, it's likely that they'll have a baby gnome after seeing your wedding. That kinda makes sense now since my sims were getting re-married after a nasty divorce @_@. However I guess after that they just continued multiplying and the original gnomes soon became old gnomes while their kid gnomes grew up.
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
    Dreamie209,

How cute have you any pics?
  • pinkknight1006pinkknight1006 Posts: 792 Member
    have fun.
    p.gifi.gifn.gifk.gifk.gifn.gifi.gifg.gifh.gift.gif
  • ZaidaMoytoyZaidaMoytoy Posts: 23 New Member
    The Sims 3 is a wonderful game! If you have the EPs, then by all means load 'em up! The more the merrier, I say. And the gnomes? Well, all mine ever do is just move around occasionally. I have the cigarette-smoking mod and it's funny to watch my Sims get hooked! They'll never have to worry about cancer.. heheheeeee
    The Sims 3 is a wonderful game! If you have the EPs, then by all means load 'em up! The more the merrier, I say. And the gnomes? Well, all mine ever do is just move around occasionally. I have the cigarette-smoking mod and it's funny to watch my Sims get hooked! They'll never have to worry about cancer.. heheheeeee

I have never heard of gnome families before and am going to be on the lookout for that, I have the ciggie mod too and it is so funny but I never realised that Sims could get hooked so quickly, my Sim even gets up in the middle of the night stressed requiring a cig...... :D I have some other funny mods too but I am not supposed to mention them LOL
  • SkySky Posts: 62 Member
    NRAAS Overwatch is a must, imo. I have a pretty powerful computer but one time when I tried to save, it gave me the error code 13something and I couldn't save. Also overwatch solves routing issues which can be fairly common and especially if you download custom worlds. If you have a good enough PC then one of the story progression mods can be useful.
    edited October 2014
    Dreamie209,

sure I'll post them now :smile:

-looks through my old screenshot- Reserving this post :smile:
    tumblr_ncs8wdVklu1sbdtgso1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ncs8wdVklu1sbdtgso5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ncs8wdVklu1sbdtgso6_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ncs8wdVklu1sbdtgso7_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ncs8wdVklu1sbdtgso8_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ncs8wdVklu1sbdtgso9_1280.jpg
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    Dreamie209,

sure I'll post them now :smile:

-looks through my old screenshot- Reserving this post :O

Thanks I would love to look at them I found your information so interesting and it reminds me yet again that as much as we think we know about Sims 3 something comes along that can still surprise us :D
  • LavenderZayLavenderZay Posts: 710 Member
    Yayyy!! Congrats, have a blast. :)