Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SF Magazine Competition for Builders!

hmsdrco2001hmsdrco2001 Posts: 818 Member
edited September 2014 in The Sims 4 Lots
Attention Sims Builders!

SF Magazine http://issuu.com/sf_magazine is hosting a Halloween building competition for our Architecture and Interiors section. We've had a number of fashion photography competitions in the past, so we wanted to tap into all of the building talent out there, too.

The prize is a full feature spread in the upcoming issue of SF Magazine, and there may even be a number of other prizes, too. So don't shy away--you have nothing to lose. We want this to be fun for everyone who participates and a way for us to learn and be inspired by each other as a community.

To enter the competition, build a home in The Sims 4 world, Willow Creek, using all of the exciting new build tools and objects at your disposal. The home should be built in the style of New Orleans' Garden District to fit in perfectly with Willow Creek's surroundings. And given that Halloween is just around the corner, feel free to make it spooky, fun, creepy, and run down. When we think of New Orleans, we think of ornate balconies and railings, jazz music, French furnishings, lush landscaping with fountains and patios, and Voodoo! We want to see your take on architecture and design with a story to tell and a personality to convey. I've posted some New Orleans inspiration photos below.

The deadline is October 15, 2014. Enter by submitting high resolution photographs (at least 20 and no more than 40) of your home zipped into one package and emailed to me by private message. I'm also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/bill.sim.54.

Photographs must be uncropped, and alterations of photographs are very much discouraged. We want to see what you can create with The Sims 4, not your skills with Photoshop. Also, our interior shoots typically do not include Sims--we leave that to our fashion folks.

Please do NOT share your images with the rest of the world or upload your lot to The Sims 4 Gallery until we've announced a winner. SF Magazine features are kept a secret until the day of issue release, likely just before Halloween (October 31). We would like for the world to be able to download the winner's lot on the day of issue release.

Feel free to use custom content, if there is any available to work with between now and October 15. If you do use custom content, you must submit a complete list of all content used including links in your packaged file.

Contact me here or on Facebook if you have any questions. And most importantly, have fun!

NewOrleans1_zpsf24ea53e.jpg

NewOrleans2_zpscc99265d.jpg

courtyard_zpsc12cfac2.jpg

new-orleans-parlor-richard-sexton_zps19563214.jpg

NewOrleans4_zps38fff349.jpg

elegance1_zps2805cb72.jpg

20544945f659c17f5ba14b3104d5250a_zps8e36c018.jpg

new-orleans-lafayette-cemetery-no1-kim-fearheiley_zps50870f04.jpg

odd-museums-Historic-Voodoo-Museum-631_zpsa48bab9a.jpg

Comments

• DippyDesignsDippyDesigns Posts: 1,809 Member
    I would love to try this, I have never built anything in this style before so I might just have a go - thanks for including builders :)
    My Origin ID is DippyDesigns

DIPPY DOODLE on Facebook

644362_1491605541100631_1472781576571833276_n.jpg?oh=c0019c8ce2de98a0158c1aba60509bc8&oe=57C1A708

• JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    edited September 2014
    Hmm, I have already made something along those lines, it is a big jazz cafe in the middle of my Sim City uploaded yesterday. I may be interested in doing another.

What lot size? Any? Thanks
  • hmsdrco2001hmsdrco2001 Posts: 818 Member
    Hey! It can be any size lot you want. Any budget you want. :)
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    HHmmm, this sounds interesting! Is it ok if we use mods? More specifically Twisted Mexicans MOO cheat mod found here: reddit.com/r/sims4Cheats/wiki/customcheats.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
    Ok, will be my first competition I'll give it a shot.
    Sure! You can use mods! We use them all the time at the magazine! :)
    JBEAR1 wrote: »
    Ok, will be my first competition I'll give it a shot.

Awesome! I'm excited to see what you create!
    I've made a start ;) and... I like it.
    That's great! I kind of want to give it a try, too, but I guess it would look bad to enter my own thingy. I may just make one on my own and steal, I mean borrow, everyone's great ideas! :)
  • Green_Girly100Green_Girly100 Posts: 296 Member
    edited September 2014
    I have a build in the planning stages for this, just trying to finish up an existing project first :)
    I contributed a couple of times, to the decoration challenges at SF a long time ago, it's a great mag!
    Thank you! I really enjoy being able to show creations by folks in our community through the magazine. It's so inspiring. I hope we can find more and more ways to do that with each issue. I appreciate you reading it and hope you'll be able to participate in the competition! If not this time, hopefully we'll have more of these types of things in the future.
    I have a question about this project.
    I've been using the MOO mod and discovered that anything overlapping does not seem to get downloaded with the lot from the gallery.
    I'm conflicted as to whether we make sure it DLs properly, or should the main emphasis be on creating the pictures?

On a side note I've been listening to some inspirational New Orleans Jazz today http://youtu.be/S7iBtY0FllY
    I've been using the MOO mod and discovered that anything overlapping does not seem to get downloaded with the lot from the gallery.
    I'm conflicted as to whether we make sure it DLs properly, or should the main emphasis be on creating the pictures?

On a side note I've been listening to some inspirational New Orleans Jazz today http://youtu.be/S7iBtY0FllY

From my understanding, who ever downloads a lot that used this mod. will need the mod for the items to show as placed by the creator. If you don't have the mod, then the items will disappear.
    NewBanner.jpg
    The main emphasis is on the pictures. You can even have a slightly modified version of the lot for people to download if you want to make sure everything transfers that you want. The photos are what's most important for the magazine, though. If you look at the magazine, a lot of the photos have furniture and other decor in positions that would not normally be playable by the Sim--like barstools bunched up close together or a desk chair pulled out at an angle--all for the purpose of making a nice photo and best displaying the content we are using. Does that make sense? You can tweak things to improve playability and object transfer for the actual download, but feel free to place objects and use mods as you wish to make the best possible photos. It's all about the photos. :)
  • marrecarmarrecar Posts: 14 New Member
    Interesting... Going to take a try and see how it goes.
    I started working on my entry. I was a little blocked on what to do at first, but I am actually almost done and I am very pleased with how it came along! :D
    NewBanner.jpg
    That's great! I'm really excited to see how it turns out!
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    Count me in! I'm about 50% complete on the build. The shell is there, now it's time to decorate!
    edited September 2014
    Tiki5872 wrote: »

From my understanding, who ever downloads a lot that used this mod. will need the mod for the items to show as placed by the creator. If you don't have the mod, then the items will disappear.

I might be doing something wrong with the upload or the mod, or something lol. I tested my own lot which showed at $105k in the gallery, but on DL, down to $57k as the furniture was mostly gone :/ I had the mod installed for the upload and download. Idk, more testing is needed me thinks.

Thanks for the confirmation on the pics v upload, I'll definitely take this on. Perhaps two uploads will be doable if I plan it right from the beginning :)

Edit: I'm so excited to see everyone's builds, I know they'll be gorgeous!

When I build I often RP and have a family/story in mind as inspiration. I hope it's ok to share the family who will live in my finished house? The decor is from their current abode, so I am not giving away any secrets :)

Mae, Goooper, Alfred (in front), Big Daddy, Big Mama, Brick & Cat. (I have a little out of state "inspiration" going on with the family ;) )

This dysfunctional New Orleans family need a new house.

tumblr_nco53rQ8CN1s4po2io1_1280.png
    Post edited by Green_Girly100 on
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    I won't be entering the competition but will be looking forward to seeing the winning build and the other builds when the winner is announced! :) Have fun building!
    Just a friendly reminder. Contest due date is October 15 at midnight (United States Eastern Standard Time).
  • keshialeekeshialee Posts: 533 Member
    @hmsdrco2001, sent you a message on your fb link you posted in relation to this comp... I'm guessing it has gone to your others folder :)
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    Oh, speaking of which, now that there isn't a way to private message on this forum, how should we send our entries?
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    This competition I will have to skip. Didn't find out till today :/ shows how busy my life is. @Rostri-jodu, click the link and get his email. He wants you to zip photos to him that way
    I had to do a clean install then got massively side tracked with other builds. Good luck to those entering.