Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trick to adjusting item heights on walls?

kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
I don't know if this has already been covered. I looked, but couldn't find anything.

Normally, I don't have a problem adjusting the height of an object on a wall (lights, paintings, etc...), but sometimes, the experience is outright frustrating and I just can't seem to get the item to adjust to the height I want them at. Does anyone know if there's a keyboard shortcut to make this easier? I've hit every key on my keyboard and there doesn't seem to be one. I may be doing something wrong. If not, a keyboard shortcut is sorely needed.

ETA: Also, hiding doors and windows while building would also be extremely helpful. They get in the way.
Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5

Comments

• Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    Yes! Hold down the Alt key while placing your objects. You can adjust items like paintings, wall decorations, and even windows. You can slide them pretty much any way you want up or down, or even sideways. Windows you can't slide sideways, only vertically. Mirrors can slide sideways, but not up and down. Have fun!

Not sure about hiding doors and windows while building. I would think you'd want them to show so you know where they are.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. I already know how to do what you said. The issue is if the walls are down or partially up. Many times, the object simply won't slide up/down the walls If they're inside walls. The walls have to be completely up for it to work 100% of the time. This makes it very difficult when attempting to do this in a small room where vision is limited. I think a keyboard shortcut to move them up/down in increments would solve this issue and make building much better.

As for hiding windows/doors: It was like this in S1 and 2 (not sure about 3). Once you switch to buy mode, they disappear. It doesn't cause complications. If you can't place something because they're in the way, you simply can't place them. It's never been an issue. Not having them in the way to obscure your view makes decorating much easier. I haven't noticed this when using buy mode on a played lot, but it's happened when I've built on an unplaced lot.
  • Options
    simsaholic77simsaholic77 Posts: 307 Member
    I have the same problem with certain items. Towels are one of those. For the life of me, I can't place them low enough. They just end up close to the ceiling. Other objects are fine, I can move them up and down no problem. I don't understand why. :/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Holy dead thread.

@simsaholic77 Make sure all the walls are up. Use the T key to look down if the room is small. It's still tricky to do, but at least it works if all walls are up.
  • Options
    simsaholic77simsaholic77 Posts: 307 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Holy dead thread.

@simsaholic77 Make sure all the walls are up. Use the T key to look down if the room is small. It's still tricky to do, but at least it works if all walls are up.

I know about having the walls up, but I didn't know about the T key. Thanks, I'll try it! :)
  • Options
    weirdaliweirdali Posts: 2 New Member
    Reigniting this thread because this is triply annoying when you have an attic room. I have an attic room and I want to have a TV over a fireplace but it just won't let me slide the TV up the wall. If I put all the walls up it shoves me out of the room and brings up the roof. From my research there's no keyboard shortcut to arrange things up and down a wall (in the attic room situation, holding alt just slides it left and right) - what would have been that shortcut has now been replaced by the ability to resize items. But c'mon guys, the sims 2 did it better than this - there was a keyboard shortcut to slide things up and down walls and an option to bring up and hide the roof!
  • Options
    weirdaliweirdali Posts: 2 New Member
    So having done some more research I can confirm that there is a slightly awkward workaround - bb.moveobjects, hold ctrl and press 9 to bring objects upwards, press 0 to bring them back down.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, it's cool you want to discuss this, unfortunately this thread is very old so I'm going to close it off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top