Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HELP Sims suddently just stand there

I have played my 5 people family for some time, but suddenly my Sims seem to be entirely apathic. They stand there for hours, doing nothing anymore, standing around in an idle animation, but not moving an inch, unless I command them to do something. They use the toilet, eat and sleep when the need is red, but they do nothing else at all.

I tried to change options, I had them set to active, and it had worked all the time. I had this bug so far only with Sims I played longer in a career. My Sims I played only briefly remained actived. I moved these Sims out into a new house, where they resumed activity, but when I moved them back into their old house, they again just stood there. I built that house extra for them, so I dont wan't to abandon this house or this family. But it is unplayable now for me.

Is that some known bug? I didn't change any options, either. I reset options, I used the debug reset. Nothing. I really have this nagging feeling it starts to get worse the longer I play. (Like, the longer I play the faster stuff gets broken, until virtually every 15 minutes a toilet or sink broke.)

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    That happened to me at the park with one member of my family; I sent her to talk to someone (she had to interview people for articles, she's a journalist) and she waved at the guy and just stood there with the interaction dropping. I went to the map by hitting the M key, sent her to another lot, then sent her right back to the park and it cleared it up. I'm not sure if it was related to the fact I had the entire family with me (my husband was fishing, my daughter was playing on the jungle gym). Oh, when I got back to the park my Sim husband had sent himself back home; I finished up my interviews anyway then got my Sim and her daughter back home to join him.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SarnokhSarnokh Posts: 15 New Member
    I tried to send Sims to other places and back, but it didn't help.

I have a youtube vid made how it looks, but apparently I have no rights to link it. It is called "(SIMS 4) My Sims stopped doing anything :( "
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    You didn't accidentally turn free will down/off, did you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    This video? It does look like free will is turned off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMUI2uhJztU
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »
    You didn't accidentally turn free will down/off, did you?

This is what I thought, as well.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • sarahzsmylsarahzsmyl Posts: 1,307 Member
    I had something similar happen to a single sim yesterday. I had to reset her and she did fine. But, that video does look like free will is turned off. Mine jumped out of all animations.
    Origin, Steam, PSN, XBL - FyreFlyeRush

sarahzsmyl wrote: »
    I had something similar happen to a single sim yesterday. I had to reset her and she did fine. But, that video does look like free will is turned off. Mine jumped out of all animations.

That's kind of what I would expect if there were a bug--that animations would be gone or very reduced.
  • Hellbiter88Hellbiter88 Posts: 916 Member
    Did you try resetting your sims???
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
  • Fullman_KatzFullman_Katz Posts: 79 Member
    Is the game paused... :o
    edited September 2014
    > @greenXen said:
    > This video? It does look like free will is turned off.

Yes that is my video. I had the free will always on. It still is active. I even reset the options. All to no avail. Somehow the free will remains inactive. (Is there some cheat command to activate free will??)

Is there a reset command? I just tried the "Testingcheats" reset button, which did nothing.

> @Fullman_Katz said:
    > Is the game paused... :o

Nope, that is what my Sims do now all the time, as you can see in the vid (thanks for linking, greenXen ^^).
    In my case, it turned out that ONE Sim needed resetting, and it effected EVERY Sim she interacted with. I'm 99% sure some Sim somewhere had a interaction with her that got stuck, and kept trying to take priority. Just Shift-click each sim and select reset and see if that resolves the issue.

• Fullman_KatzFullman_Katz Posts: 79 Member
    > @Fullman_Katz said:

> @Sarnokh said:
    > Nope, that is what my Sims do now all the time, as you can see in the vid (thanks for linking, greenXen ^^).

I know...That was my poor attempt at humor. :(
    > @Fullman_Katz said:
    > @Fullman_Katz said:
    > I know...That was my poor attempt at humor. :(

Aww now now ^^ I just take things usually too literally. XD
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    When my Sims needs are all filled they will just stand and look lost.Since I let my Sims run on there own it doesn't bother me.
    Ok addition: When I sent my entire family to some outside place, the park, they all act normal. But when they return to the house, they again just stand there now doing nothing at all. It is something with this house.

And I really would prefer NOT to tear down it all. :((
    Move them into another lot, and see if that resolves the issue. Then move them BACK into that lot. All your furniture goes into your family inventory.

• cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    contemplating dem surroundingz
    TL8ZBmw.gif
    Sarnokh wrote: »
    Ok addition: When I sent my entire family to some outside place, the park, they all act normal. But when they return to the house, they again just stand there now doing nothing at all. It is something with this house.<br />
    <br />
    And I really would prefer NOT to tear down it all. :((

I assume you built the house yourself? Did you save it to your library or the gallery before playing with your sims in it? If they worked previously maybe something changed over time--have you tried just re-downloading the house from your library/gallery back onto the lot to see if that helps?

If not, can you remember when they started acting this way? Perhaps there is something you tried to have one of them do that's gotten them stuck somehow on that lot or something you added to the lot that is causing it.
    Also, Check your roofing. Make sure none of it extends invisibly into the house, and blocking them from accessing anything. I promise if the path is blocked, it's the one thing that EVERY Sim will want to do.

edited September 2014
    > @sarahzsmyl said:
    > Move them into another lot, and see if that resolves the issue. Then move them BACK into that lot. All your furniture goes into your family inventory.

Tried, solves nothing. They act all normal in the new house. But when I move back, it is all as passive as before. And that house was tailor made for them, so I prefer not to lose it. Besides, it IS a bug, and must be solved either way.

I changed nothing in the game. It just suddenly happened when I wanted to continue the next day. So roofs or building, nothing here changed. I can MANUALLY tell them to do anything, and they do it. They just don't do anything by themselves. They just stand there and do idle animations.
    edited September 2014
    [
    > @sarahzsmyl said:<br />
    > Move them into another lot, and see if that resolves the issue. Then move them BACK into that lot. All your furniture goes into your family inventory.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Tried, solves nothing. They act all normal in the new house. But when I move back, it is all as passive as before. And that house was tailor made for them, so I prefer not to lose it. Besides, it IS a bug, and must be solved either way.<br />
    <br />
    I changed nothing in the game. It just suddenly happened when I wanted to continue the next day. So roofs or building, nothing here changed. I can MANUALLY tell them to do anything, and they do it. They just don't do anything by themselves. They just stand there and do idle animations.

Have you tried reloading the lot? What about moving the family AND the house to a different lot?

Also, is the lot on the gallery? I can try downloading it and see if it affects my sims in a similar way. Heck, if you have the family on the gallery, I can dl them as well and put them in the house to see if they behave like that.
    edited September 2014
    > @ebuchala said:
    > [ Sarnokh wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you tried reloading the lot? What about moving the family AND the house to a different lot?
    >
    > Also, is the lot on the gallery? I can try downloading it and see if it affects my sims in a similar way. Heck, if you have the family on the gallery, I can dl them as well and put them in the house to see if they behave like that.

I will try to re-download it. But there is another issue. Stuff I upload does not STAY. My friend build a house, uploaded it, but after a while it vanished from the online gallery. I will look if I can upload it, not sure if that works. So far my friend and I had no luck exchanging houses.

Ok, I re-placed the house from the gallery, but that changed nothing.

I uploaded my house, it is called "Riverside Motel" and my handle is "elikal71". I didn't find out how to upload an existing family.

EDIT: I found how to upload a family. Again, look under my handle, or seek for "Hardy". (Yes, it's the Hardy Boys and their family.)
    Post edited by Sarnokh on
    edited September 2014
    > @ebuchala said:<br />
    > [ Sarnokh wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > Have you tried reloading the lot? What about moving the family AND the house to a different lot?<br />
    > <br />
    > Also, is the lot on the gallery? I can try downloading it and see if it affects my sims in a similar way. Heck, if you have the family on the gallery, I can dl them as well and put them in the house to see if they behave like that.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I will try to re-download it. But there is another issue. Stuff I upload does not STAY. My friend build a house, uploaded it, but after a while it vanished from the online gallery. I will look if I can upload it, not sure if that works. So far my friend and I had no luck exchanging houses.<br />
    <br />
    Ok, I re-placed the house from the gallery, but that changed nothing.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I uploaded my house, it is called "Riverside Motel" and my handle is "elikal71". I didn't find out how to upload an existing family.
    To upload an existing family, take them into CAS and then upload them from there. I'll pull the house onto a lot and see how it does with the current sim I have active.

ETA: I pulled the hh you originally had on the gallery so we'll see how they do.
    Thanks for the effort. :)
    Ok, so it was your current family because their skills are all at various levels. :)

Right, so it's definitely the lot. I merged your family with Borden (the tattooed surfer looking dude from the promos) because I already had him in game for testing something. On your lot, they all (including Borden) stand around doing nothing. They'll take care of basic needs when they become urgent enough and will interact with other Sims as long as the other sim starts the interaction. Otherwise, they just stand around making faces and grunts occasionally.

I took them to the park in Oasis Springs and everyone acted like they had free will again, except Grandma. She went to do something right off the bat but it might have been need related (I don't remember). After that she stood around until I had her play space monster at the spaceship toy. Then she quite that and autonomously grilled food but she wouldn't eat it until I told her to. Everyone else was behaving "normally." However, I left the game running to come post here and when I went back, she seems to be "normal" now, as well. Autonomously went to play chess.

And when I take them back home, they're back to standing in front of the house doing nothing until you prod them or they have an urgent need.