Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roof and Trim Cutting Through Walls, Windows

Hi there guys!

I'm having a bit of a problem with my latest build. I decided to rotate my house, and suddenly my roof is cutting through the wall where it didn't before.

Here's a before shot showing the problem area:
AxNUB6Q.jpg

Here's an after shot:
OTcrhAZ.jpg

Here's a non-exhaustive list of things I've tried:
+Saving the house to the gallery, bulldozing the lot, and loading it back in.
+Rebuilding/removing/moving the roof.
+Rebuilding/removing/moving the walls and rooms where the roof cuts through.
+Deleting and replacing the roof trim (Two problems with this. 1: I want my trim, and 2: Even without the trim you can see the roof cutting through the windows.
+Creating a room with no walls under the roof.

And here's what I've learned:
This seems to happen only when the offending wall is facing certain directions. For instance, if you imagine for a moment that the front of the lot is North, the bug only occurs when the offending wall is facing South or West (it's facing East in the first picture and South in the second).

Any help that you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• KraslevKraslev Posts: 110 Member
    Did I post this in the wrong subforum? Seems to be sinking like a stone.
  • EsotericRogueEsotericRogue Posts: 153 Member
    Roofs are a pain. I get traces inside rooms too, even when it appears the roof almost clipped properly.
    tumblr_m63nqrB4u71qbkq4po1_r1_250.gif

Streaming at http://www.hitbox.tv/eRogue (Twitch sucks now.)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Because EA decided some clipping is o.k. (that's true) in order to bring you the amazing multitasking. Some of us from TS2 would have been on the BBS raising cane about this sort of stuff, but alas I digress.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Why don't you just use a half roof there? I presume because of the back-left (according to the picture) roofing? Maybe you could use a second half-roof on that side too.

• resc83resc83 Posts: 9 New Member
    It seems to me your are using the same roof like on the very top of the building. It is stretching its wy over to the right side of the room beneath it.
    Try using the other roof, that you can simply drag to the edge of the building, where it meets the upper floor.
    Why don't you just use a half roof there? I presume because of the back-left (according to the picture) roofing? Maybe you could use a second half-roof on that side too.
    It is a half roof. If you're suggesting I use a half gable, then the corner (on the far left of both pics, over the porch) does not line up. Right now it's already a combination of two half-hipped roofs, and that's the only possible combination if I'm going to make it look flush and tidy. My frustration is that it works properly when the house is turned in ways that I don't want it to be turned...

resc83 wrote: »
    It seems to me your are using the same roof like on the very top of the building. It is stretching its wy over to the right side of the room beneath it.<br />
    Try using the other roof, that you can simply drag to the edge of the building, where it meets the upper floor.
    I'm not. The roof up top is a gable, and the roof on bottom is a half-hipped. The roof on the bottom must stretch its way over to the right side because otherwise the corner on the far left doesn't match up. Plus, I encounter even more clipping issues if I try it that way. Trust me. I've tried it.
    I'm not sure how to keep this from falling under a torrent of posts about random topics. I'm like 90% sure that I posted this in the technical support forum and it was moved to general. I don't know if there's any way to verify that, but I'm not going to be one of those annoying guys who bumps his post every few minutes. I'm gonna give this one more shot at being on the front page and getting some answers, and then I give up. I'll have to remake my house (or at least that part of it).
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Kraslev wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to keep this from falling under a torrent of posts about random topics. I'm like 90% sure that I posted this in the technical support forum and it was moved to general. I don't know if there's any way to verify that, but I'm not going to be one of those annoying guys who bumps his post every few minutes. I'm gonna give this one more shot at being on the front page and getting some answers, and then I give up. I'll have to remake my house (or at least that part of it).

Is it in the gallery? If so, I'll drop it in my game and play around with it to see if I can get it to work. I do need to know how to find it, though--Origin ID or the name of the house.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
    you can't stop it from falling of the first page.

Anyhow, I did this:

cLhQX.jpg

I'll post a link to the video shortly.

ebuchala wrote: »
    Is it in the gallery? If so, I'll drop it in my game and play around with it to see if I can get it to work. I do need to know how to find it, though--Origin ID or the name of the house.
    @Ebuchala, I just uploaded it. Look for #helpkraslev
    edited September 2014
    you can't stop it from falling of the first page.

Anyhow, I did this:

IMG

@EsotericRogue, that's not the same lot, meaning that "north" isn't in the same spot. Try rotating the house to see if the problem comes up for certain orientations or try moving it to the Potters Splay lot in Willow Creek (that's the lot it's on now for me.)

::edit:: That looks like Bargain Bend, which is where I had the house for a while without problems. I put it on Potters Splay, and BAM... clipping issues. Even tried rebuilding from the floor up. No luck.
    edited September 2014

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/268611

If you need to show me a picture of the backside, please do :D

Oh, good idea using that Gallery :/

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Because EA decided some clipping is o.k. (that's true) in order to bring you the amazing multitasking. Some of us from TS2 would have been on the BBS raising cane about this sort of stuff, but alas I digress.

Multi-tasking has nothing to do with Roofs, and Clipping has nothing to do with Multi-Tasking either.

You couldn't even get Roofs to overlap in The Sims 2 even with Move Objects, or make them as detailed as this so I don't really know what your point is.
    So you have it set on Potter's Splay with the front door facing the road, correct? I'll go poke around at it.
    edited September 2014
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

Multi-tasking has nothing to do with Roofs, and Clipping has nothing to do with Multi-Tasking either.

You couldn't even get Roofs to overlap in The Sims 2 even with Move Objects, or make them as detailed as this so I don't really know what your point is.
    I didn't respond to that because I don't want to derail this discussion into negativity and rants about what EA did right or wrong. Please leave it there and let's focus on the topic of the thread.
    So you have it set on Potter's Splay with the front door facing the road, correct? I'll go poke around at it.
    Right. When you load it into Potter's Splay it should orient itself correctly.
    http://www.hitbox.tv/video/268611

If you need to show me a picture of the backside, please do :D

Oh, good idea using that Gallery :/
    I REALLY appreciate the effort and thought you put into that. I have tried using a half-gable like you did, but then I need to stretch a full hipped across the corner in order to fill the corner of the porch. When I do this, the full hipped cuts through the back wall of the house. You didn't encounter this problem likely because you were using Bargain Bend instead of Potter's Splay.

• sarahzsmylsarahzsmyl Posts: 1,307 Member
    It took me a good 5 minutes yesterday to figure out my newly placed roof was the reason my sims could no longer access their bedroom. You couldn't tell from anything, walls up or walls down that this was the issue. Everything looked normal. I eventually realized the last time they COULD access it was before I added a roof to their porch. Deleted it and kaching...they could access it again. Sorry, Simmies...you'll just have to have an uncovered porch. It's not like it rains or anything.
    Origin, Steam, PSN, XBL - FyreFlyeRush

Ok, I figured out what the problem is. It's your roof trim. As long as you don't have any roof trim, the edge of the roof remains out of site. As soon as you add the roof trim, the trim juts out just enough to be visible on the outside of the wall. Options that I can think of are to revise your roofing plans, get rid of the roof trim or change the outside design of the house to look more like the British black and white Tudor houses with the crossbeams on the outside.
    Ok, I figured out what the problem is. It's your roof trim. As long as you don't have any roof trim, the edge of the roof remains out of site. As soon as you add the roof trim, the trim juts out just enough to be visible on the outside of the wall. Options that I can think of are to revise your roofing plans, get rid of the roof trim or change the outside design of the house to look more like the British black and white Tudor houses with the crossbeams on the outside.

Sorry, that's not the problem. I addressed that earlier in this thread. Even if it were the problem, getting rid of the trim should not be the solution. Like I said, this doesn't happen when the house is turned 90° counterclockwise.
    edited September 2014
    Hi, me again! Well, I downloaded yours to Potter's Splay, redid the roof, reduced the trim, and wonder if you like it. Uploaded to the Gallery:
    #nohelpkraslev There was some clipping on the second story east wall, but that disappeared when I reduced trim.
    (That is, after I redid the roof, there was some clipping related to trim.)

(edit: missed two spots of siding. no biggie.)

Sorry, that's not the problem. I addressed that earlier in this thread. Even if it were the problem, getting rid of the trim should not be the solution. Like I said, this doesn't happen when the house is turned 90° counterclockwise.

Ok, that's fascinating. When I turn it so the front door faces the river, there's no trim showing. When I turn it another 90 degrees so the back is facing the road, the trim doesn't show. When I turn it again so the back is facing the river, the trim shows. And, of course, when the front door is facing the road the trim shows in back.

Which means it's a bug and not just building related. You said you posted in the tech forum--did you post on the bug thread directly? I would get screen shots of the four positions with the trim showing on the two and not showing on the other two and post in one of the bug threads with the photographs.

Ok, that's fascinating. When I turn it so the front door faces the river, there's no trim showing. When I turn it another 90 degrees so the back is facing the road, the trim doesn't show. When I turn it again so the back is facing the river, the trim shows. And, of course, when the front door is facing the road the trim shows in back.

Which means it's a bug and not just building related. You said you posted in the tech forum--did you post on the bug thread directly? I would get screen shots of the four positions with the trim showing on the two and not showing on the other two and post in one of the bug threads with the photographs.

:) You're essentially restating my north/south/east/west analogy in different words. I posted a thread in the subforum, not on the bug page directly.

@EsotericRogue, thanks a bunch. I'll take a look in a bit when I'm free. Stay tuned.

Hi, me again! Well, I downloaded yours to Potter's Splay, redid the roof, reduced the trim, and wonder if you like it. Uploaded to the Gallery:
    #nohelpkraslev There was some clipping on the second story east wall, but that disappeared when I reduced trim.
    (That is, after I redid the roof, there was some clipping related to trim.)

(edit: missed two spots of siding. no biggie.)

Except, when you go down a couple of levels to the inside of the house, the roof trim clips the inside. The point is, that portion of the roof shouldn't be there at all. If you turn the house sideways so that the roof trim disappears the way it's supposed to, there is no interior clipping, even with the larger roof trim, which is how this roof system was designed (any roof that would overlap inside a room should be removed, just leaving exterior roofing in place). Which means, that there's a bug which should be taken to one of the bug threads so the gurus/devs know about it.

:) You're essentially restating my north/south/east/west analogy in different words. I posted a thread in the subforum, not on the bug page directly.

@EsotericRogue, thanks a bunch. I'll take a look in a bit when I'm free. Stay tuned.

Ok, I apologize for getting involved. :)
    edited September 2014
    Except, when you go down a couple of levels to the inside of the house, the roof trim clips the inside.

Visibly? Because I've been looking all around inside and I don't see it on mine.

There sure are bugs if you rotate and things change :)

(P.S. Good night, I gotta work in a few hours.)

edited September 2014
    Except, when you go down a couple of levels to the inside of the house, the roof trim clips the inside.

Visibly? Because I've been looking all around inside and I don't see it on mine.

There sure are bugs if you rotate and things change :)

(P.S. Good night, I gotta work in a few hours.)

When I dropped down to the rooms immediately behind that roof area, the trim was visible inside the room with the smaller trim. When I turned the house to where the larger trim was no longer visible and dropped to that same room, nothing was visible inside the room. Really, the point is that it doesn't seem to be by design for the roof trim to be visible inside or out or it would be visible no matter which way you orient the house. Since changing the houses direction makes the portion of the roof trim invisible, thick or thin, it wasn't likely done by design, which makes it a bug.

ETA: Good night!