Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Sims 4 End Up Like Sims Medieval?

Comments

• angie0o0angie0o0 Posts: 103 Member
    Gleesticky wrote: »
    It's not going to fail, sorry for those haters who just can't stop wishing this game doom. The game is still selling well on the charts. Every time I look on youtube for sims video uploads daily it's always Sims 4 not Sims 2 or Sims 3. As much as the haters gonna hate, there is more than enough people who love this game and will keep it going. Bring on the EP!

3 weeks after the game released, the price on Amazon is already down to $50, when it released as $60. Means it's not selling too well. :)

Keep your heads in the sand.

• Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    smoogie wrote: »
    it wouldn't surprise me if EA pull another fast one and ditch the game

If EA thinks this game is not bringing in enough revenue. I wouldn't doubt it being dumped like sims city. They are not going to waste time on something that only a few people find entertaining. They will probably move on to new and better things.

6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • BayalynnBayalynn Posts: 67 Member
    It's not going to fail, sorry for those haters who just can't stop wishing this game doom. The game is still selling well on the charts. Every time I look on youtube for sims video uploads daily it's always Sims 4 not Sims 2 or Sims 3. As much as the haters gonna hate, there is more than enough people who love this game and will keep it going. Bring on the EP!

I'm assuming you're here to stir the pot.....

No one here is hating, people are here concerned or worried if TS4 will get one EP and end. And no one here wants that. Since when did wanting a better game make someone a "hater"? Must be hip lingo.... I suppose I have to get in with the times because I'm not in with the "in " crowd and know what the terms are because I'm old.....and not even 30. Sheesh.
  • blaznfalcnblaznfalcn Posts: 731 Member
    edited September 2014

Sorry, but us so called haters are not wishing for it's doom! Just...

tumblr_mgpc1nVMLh1rziwwco1_250_zps08460b53.gif

"Laziness is a state of mind, not necessarily a lack of action"
    ZY6USJj.gif
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited September 2014
    bamcam30 wrote: »
    Having only one expansion pack for it, due to mixed or negative response and then abandoned? Not sure if this has already been talked about, but I'm curious.

I seriously think I am the ONLY person that LOVED the Sims Medieval haha. I play it all the time *hides away in shame

Nah, I actually think The Sims Medieval was so well made, it just wasn't received well because of the closed off gameplay, which ironically The Sims 4 has, not to that extent, but VERY similar.

I thought the graphics in Sims Medieval especially of the sims were amazing, I loved how realistic they looked. I also loved all the quests and thought they were so funny.

I find it odd that we haven't heard ANYTHING from the Sims team yet on at least store content for Sims 4, so it doesn't look good. Its one of their biggest franchises though so I don't think it will end up quite like Medieval, but who knows?

Although Medieval and Sims 4 mechanics are similar, I actually prefer Medieval because there were literally NO bugs, it was a well made game. The Sims 4 is "questy" and has a crap ton of bugs so its a lose/lose.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    The only people I see "hating"....are NOT the ones being called 'haters'.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    That is why so many of us see the redundancy and those who don't will say something like...'but you don't have to fill those, and you can play and skip those'...then o.k. why in the heck put them in a sandbox game if the larger fan base hates it and going to skip it anyway? they try to hard to gain every genre player there is out there, and don't stick to what most of us love about The Sims.

Some people do actually like them so it's basically just a matter of having options. For someone who doesn't like to do them, they really don't have to--they can skip them and maintain whatever position, rank or aspiration level they're on or they can cheat through them. For those who do like doing them, they're available. Why would you want to remove something that some people like if it's something you don't HAVE to do?

You can't just skip all of it. The careers are embedded in repition. I can't stand it. It would have been one thing to include normal careers that didn't require you to do stupid things everyday just to get a minimal boost at your career. If you want your sim to advance, then you have to do it. There is no way around it.

I have already given up on earning satisfaction or completing aspirations. It is too boring.

Yes, you can just skip it all, exactly as I explained. Your Sim stays at the same level until you fulfill the requirements or cheat him a promotion. There's nothing whatsoever in the game that requires your Sim to fulfill aspirations (they don't even have nags on these) or get a promotion but it's fairly easy to cheat a promotion, if you want. The only thing that has nags are the kid's grades in school and you can simply delete those if you don't want to have your kid become an A student. Not sure what you mean by the careers being embedded in repetition--they're jobs; pretty much the definition of repetition (go to work, work, come home, rinse, repeat). If you're talking about how they've set up the advancements, I've seen some repetition but, as mentioned, if I don't want to deal with it, I don't. I have one Sim that I'm playing the game without cheats for him so I'm fulfilling the requirements to get his promotions (I didn't even realize there were daily goals you could do until yesterday so I've pretty much ignored those and he's already on level 5 of his career, I believe). I'm not sure why it's preferable to have a Sim go to work for a set amount of time, essentially do nothing but show up and still get a promotion compared to having specific requirements in place for them to do to get their promotion. But, at least with the requirements in place, someone who wants to work for the promotion can do so and someone who doesn't, can simply play them at each level for the desired amount of time and then cheat them a promotion.

So, again, why remove something that some people enjoy if it's not something you HAVE to do?
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2014
    That is why so many of us see the redundancy and those who don't will say something like...'but you don't have to fill those, and you can play and skip those'...then o.k. why in the heck put them in a sandbox game if the larger fan base hates it and going to skip it anyway? they try to hard to gain every genre player there is out there, and don't stick to what most of us love about The Sims.

Some people do actually like them so it's basically just a matter of having options. For someone who doesn't like to do them, they really don't have to--they can skip them and maintain whatever position, rank or aspiration level they're on or they can cheat through them. For those who do like doing them, they're available. Why would you want to remove something that some people like if it's something you don't HAVE to do?

You can't just skip all of it. The careers are embedded in repition. I can't stand it. It would have been one thing to include normal careers that didn't require you to do stupid things everyday just to get a minimal boost at your career. If you want your sim to advance, then you have to do it. There is no way around it.

I have already given up on earning satisfaction or completing aspirations. It is too boring.

Yes, you can just skip it all, exactly as I explained. Your Sim stays at the same level until you fulfill the requirements or cheat him a promotion. There's nothing whatsoever in the game that requires your Sim to fulfill aspirations (they don't even have nags on these) or get a promotion but it's fairly easy to cheat a promotion, if you want. The only thing that has nags are the kid's grades in school and you can simply delete those if you don't want to have your kid become an A student. Not sure what you mean by the careers being embedded in repetition--they're jobs; pretty much the definition of repetition (go to work, work, come home, rinse, repeat). If you're talking about how they've set up the advancements, I've seen some repetition but, as mentioned, if I don't want to deal with it, I don't. I have one Sim that I'm playing the game without cheats for him so I'm fulfilling the requirements to get his promotions (I didn't even realize there were daily goals you could do until yesterday so I've pretty much ignored those and he's already on level 5 of his career, I believe). I'm not sure why it's preferable to have a Sim go to work for a set amount of time, essentially do nothing but show up and still get a promotion compared to having specific requirements in place for them to do to get their promotion. But, at least with the requirements in place, someone who wants to work for the promotion can do so and someone who doesn't, can simply play them at each level for the desired amount of time and then cheat them a promotion.

So, again, why remove something that some people enjoy if it's not something you HAVE to do?

I think you are missing the point. The point of the game in TS4 is to manipulate the Sim's mood. This would include what they want to be when they grow up. You know, their aspiration. These aspirations aren't even fully fleshed out to coincide with their career like they were in the TS2. That's strike one. Then take TS2 for instance. At no time did the Aspiration hold the hand of the player and tell them 'Do this So Many Times'. No, it was not scripted at all. It gave nags like making the Sim roll wanting to buy something expensive if their aspiration was a Fortune Sim and it was totally up to the player to ignore that or fulfill a fear instead which all affected the aspiration. These Aspirations are Scripted. That's the problem. It took away the imagination of the player of how in the world are they going to get their Sims' aspirations filled? Now, you hold the hand of the player and tell them Do This So Many redundant Times. Boring..old man snoring! that's not my idea of what I hoped they would do when they said Aspirations were returning. So, you keep saying you don't have to do them...well then what is the point of the game? Yes, It's a Sim's life simulator and players have been ignoring aspirations of Sims since the TS2, however, those MADE SENSE> these don't.

Since when did Simmers need the company to hold their hands and tell them 'kiss Mary so many times' to gain a good date score? It's not sandbox, it's scripted and that is the problem to me.

ETA: and please no offense but your description of how to play by ignoring the obvious of the game goal is making my point of why many of us feel it's not fleshed out, and is a poor game design. If you want Sims to have aspirations but players don't find them fun, then why add them? If it is nothing more than redundant chores which can be ignored anyway? You are saying there is no failure in this game anyway, so again a dumbed down game. At least in the TS2 they had to skill or something to get a promotion. But not so in the TS3 or TS4. No failure, no firing. Then why bother going to work at all. You are describing what most of us harped on about the TS3 and making it sound like it's a good part of this game when most of us hated that about the TS3.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    In fact this is why I got bored (and annoyed) by S4 so quickly: the repetition.
    I think I could like achievements in a game, even if that means it's less of a sandbox.
    But right from the start I had to do repetitive things. Buy toys (there wasn't a child in the house), buy musical instruments, flirt three times, give five compliments, whatever.
    That's just not the kind of achievements I'm looking for, there's no challenge in that.

If you're talking about whims which only provide satisfaction points, they aren't even on the radar for fulfilling requirements to do things with your sims. They are completely and utterly optional. I hardly ever pay attention to my Sim's whims and still manage to accumulate plenty of satisfaction points. TS3 had the same thing, by the way. Your Sim would get an itch to do something and you could scratch that itch or delete it. You can delete your Sim's whims in TS4 as well.

If you're talking about aspirations, you can go your whole game without ever looking at the aspiration panel and your sim will suffer no ill effects for it. If you actually want them to complete their aspirations, you either have to fulfill the requirements or cheat them up the aspiration levels. I'm pretty sure all of the games had specific requirements to fulfill to complete an aspiration or lifetime wish.

On the other hand, if your main issue is that you'd rather the achievements have more depth to them, I won't disagree with you. I've seen a mix of depth for the requirements of the aspirations I'm working on for my current Sims. My musician has to serenade a sim while he's flirty (which requires a certain skill level, getting him flirty and having an appropriate sim to serenade. To me, that's a fun requirement to achieve because it requires preparation, planning and it adds depth to the game, if handled well (so my Sim can serenade the woman he'll eventually marry, for instance). I've never been overly fond of grinding so the requirements to do the same thing over and over a certain number of times are uninteresting to me after I've done them once or twice to learn the method.

However, I've also found that there are times when my sim actually completes requirements when I'm playing a different household--not anything specifically skill-driven without direct intervention but definitely things like making friends.
  • LucusSimmsLucusSimms Posts: 108 Member
    From what I've seen and hear so far I wouldn't be surprised. Good thing I got TS2 UC for free; now that has more value! :D
    "Knowledge is Power."
    "Walk softly and carry a big gun."
    "Never Compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    The only people I see "hating"....are NOT the ones being called 'haters'.

Exactly.

Because it destroys all The Sims could be?

If I want to play repetitive mini-games to unlock achievements, why not pay 1.99 for an iPhone game?
    elelunicy wrote: »
    It's well possible if no one is buying the game.

True...

PS: Is that you? If so, wow, how pretty!
  • RockoutDarciRockoutDarci Posts: 3,092 Member
    They should have just made The Sims Medieval an expansion pack, seriously. They made an into the future expansion pack and should have made a medieval expansion pack. They could seriously rake in the dough if they made time-period expansion packs/stuff packs.
    Love Like A Snail: An Inter.s.e.x. Story.
    thefoxsims.weebly.com/
    3825869_orig.png

If it were selling like hot cakes, a press release would have been released.

Kittenkiss wrote: »
    Dec3338 wrote: »
    I think we will have to wait until the first EP comes out to see what will happen to the Sims4.

Agree. It's either going to be Wow! So much content and interesting things! Or, Meh...

A good EP can make a game, really. So I wholeheartedly agree and hope the best EP is around the corner.
  • KittiezKittiez Posts: 47 Member
    I loved TSM. :( I would even go as far as saying I liked it better than TS1/2/3.
    It had goals for you to meet, which I liked, while still having that quirky Sims feel. (The chinchillas!!)
  • CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    There're going to release the sells October for their Quaterly Report. I think I read somewhere on this forum that the Quaterly Report for the Sims 3 was released was a week just after it was released, so that could explain why it's taking them so long to tell us, or not. Don't hold me to this though.
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    No it wont . TSM suffered from 2 things .

1 you were required to be on a quest that forced objectives

2 Its main audience was simmers who wanted it in a Medieval environment making it a very limited audience .

thou simmeth the IV doest suffer not from flaws such as these and thus shall survive Medievals destiny
  • thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    I liked Mideavil, but I didn't like how i just couldn't go and be a wizard or something from the get go , i had to start out as a Monarch.

Plus , once i finally got to make a priest , the game crashed on me.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited September 2014
    I doubt that TS4 is going to go the way of Medieval. The main reason? TSM was a spin-off game, not a main game or an expansion thereof. When it comes to spin-offs, you have those that last a short while and then disappear off of the face of the Earth (like that Fox show The Finder), you have those that do just as well as the original series while running along side it (like all of CSI's umpteen regional spin-offs), and then you have those rare spin-offs that become more popular than the original series (like Family Matters, which greatly overshadows its parent show, Perfect Strangers, in the memories of an entire generation of television viewers). So, you can't really judge the potential success of a sequel by that of the latest spin-off, no matter what the similarities in their content.

Just like TS3 pushed some players away while drawing new ones in with its gameplay and structure, so too is TS4. That tends to happen when a new entry in a series comes along with some older features ditched and some newer ones added. I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people who packed up and turned their backs on FFIX because they didn't like the cartoony art style after FFVIII's more realistic approach to character design. Or, what of the players who didn't get/like FFX because instead of being able to free-roam on a big old world map, the game herded you along through environments which (even outdoors) were merely a series of rooms and corridors while the airship served as nothing more than a glorified teleporter? And, you know what? Even with the changes that some would argue were to the detriment of the games, they still sold well and brought new fans into the series. (Ringing any bells?)

So, yeah, TS4 has a good chance of surviving a full 5-year life cycle IMHO. No, it's not what every player wanted, but it happens like that with sequels sometimes. In fact, I think there would be just as much trouble right now if the game had just been exactly like TS3, but with fewer performance issues. Then, people would be crying about it being a lazy recycled game. We've got an unappeasable fanbase here, what can I say?
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    It had better come up with some serious social additions to grab any fence sitters I suspect.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • AeroSimmerAeroSimmer Posts: 212 Member
    Animastar wrote: »
    I think you are seriously over-estimating how bad this game is if you think it's not going to last past one expansion. It really is a great sims game if you give it a chance. It's just different is all, it's not bad.

Besides, Sims 3 got just as much hate as Sims 4 when it first came out, but it still lived to see a ton of expansions. Sims 4 will too.

Agree. While it's definitely not my favorite (TS2 still holds that spot for me), there is a lot to this game I like. I can see where a lot of people are upset though. We paid $50 for a game that does feel like a lot was intentionally left out. It has potential (in my opinion) and can get better with some EPs. However, will people buy an EP for stuff that, well, should have probably been in base game?
    I think you are missing the point. The point of the game in TS4 is to manipulate the Sim's mood. This would include what they want to be when they grow up. You know, their aspiration. These aspirations aren't even fully fleshed out to coincide with their career like they were in the TS2. That's strike one. Then take TS2 for instance. At no time did the Aspiration hold the hand of the player and tell them 'Do this So Many Times'. No, it was not scripted at all. It gave nags like making the Sim roll wanting to buy something expensive if their aspiration was a Fortune Sim and it was totally up to the player to ignore that or fulfill a fear instead which all affected the aspiration. These Aspirations are Scripted. That's the problem. It took away the imagination of the player of how in the world are they going to get their Sims' aspirations filled? Now, you hold the hand of the player and tell them Do This So Many redundant Times. Boring..old man snoring! that's not my idea of what I hoped they would do when they said Aspirations were returning. So, you keep saying you don't have to do them...well then what is the point of the game? Yes, It's a Sim's life simulator and players have been ignoring aspirations of Sims since the TS2, however, those MADE SENSE> these don't.

Since when did Simmers need the company to hold their hands and tell them 'kiss Mary so many times' to gain a good date score? It's not sandbox, it's scripted and that is the problem to me.

ETA: and please no offense but your description of how to play by ignoring the obvious of the game goal is making my point of why many of us feel it's not fleshed out, and is a poor game design. If you want Sims to have aspirations but players don't find them fun, then why add them? If it is nothing more than redundant chores which can be ignored anyway? You are saying there is no failure in this game anyway, so again a dumbed down game. At least in the TS2 they had to skill or something to get a promotion. But not so in the TS3 or TS4. No failure, no firing. Then why bother going to work at all. You are describing what most of us harped on about the TS3 and making it sound like it's a good part of this game when most of us hated that about the TS3.

I haven't played TS2 recently enough to compare. I seem to recall TS3 having some specific goals you had to meet to fulfill your lifetime wishes but, to be honest, I never really played lifetime wishes that much, either, in TS3. Just did what I wanted. I do agree that redundant requirements are boring, at least for me, but there are apparently plenty of people who don't mind grinding to get things so who am I to tell them their way of playing is boring? It's boring to me but perhaps not to them. Either way, my point is some people enjoy the goals and requirements and some don't but this game can be played either way. So, again, what's the harm in having them? If you want a life simulator, play the game as a life simulator and ignore the parts that keep you from doing that. If you want achievements and goals, then play the achievements and goals. If you want more interesting achievements, that's an issue you need to bring up to the gurus as a suggestion for making the game play more interesting. You can tell me as many times as you like that the current goals don't make sense or are boring and I can't do anything about that for you.

Also, I've never said there is no failure in this game. There are some obvious issues and I don't think I've ever been disingenuous enough to ignore them. What you find boring someone else doesn't so why again do you want to limit what someone enjoys just because you find it boring? I'm also seeing two different arguments here--one person says they don't want the additional requirements or goals to get a promotion; they just want to be able to send their sim to work and over time, the sim gets promoted. You, who have been rather upset the whole time about how much you dislike goal-oriented game play are now saying you don't like it because it's boring and doesn't make sense. If it's boring and doesn't make sense, then why bother with it at all? Just set up your Sims however you want them in the game and play in the sandbox as much as you want without worrying about goals, requirements and grinding.

Your statement here: So, you keep saying you don't have to do them...well then what is the point of the game? Yes, It's a Sim's life simulator and players have been ignoring aspirations of Sims since the TS2, however, those MADE SENSE> these don't.
    The point of the game is to play it however you want (not just to manipulate the Sim's moods, as you stated, though that might be some player's purpose). Some people want the goals and tasks because they enjoy fulfilling them and it makes them feel satisfied at completing them. Others just want to play their way which is when it makes sense to ignore the goals and tasks and just do what you want, cheating to get your sim where you want them, when you want them there. Neither way is more correct than the other and the only boring game play style is the one YOU find boring. For each person that will be different.
    pguida wrote: »

Because it destroys all The Sims could be?

If I want to play repetitive mini-games to unlock achievements, why not pay 1.99 for an iPhone game?

How does having optional achievements destroy all The Sims could be?

If you want to play repetitive mini-games to unlock achievements, why are you paying for any kind of phone game? There are plenty of free ones out there.