Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about “Save as” vs. “Save”

Okay, so I read posts about people losing their Sims when playing in a rotational household style. I have about 6 households going right now and I’m pretty attached to all of them. I switch back and forth a lot. I’ve been doing the “Save as” technique that a lot of people recommended. Then I immediately exit without saving directly afterwards because I heard there was a “Save and exit” glitch. I’m super cautious. I would be gutted if I lost my sims. So far I have not experienced any crashes, game loss or lag issues.

I have 2 saves for each household and when I “Save as” I overwrite one of them each time. Is that what everyone else is doing? (i.e. Peterson Household 1, Peterson household 2) I’m worried about too many saves slowing down the game. So far I haven’t run into any problems but I’m wondering how OTHERS are doing this. When you “Save as” you have an option of overwriting a previous file or creating a new one. If you create a new one every time you save you’ll have 500 saves by the end of a week.

How is everyone doing this? (I really hope this question makes sense)
tumblr_mackehc6CQ1qgi6ty.gif

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    The rotational Sim loss is not tied to save vs. save as. Plus there's a mod for it: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535559 "Save and Exit" is definitely tied to a problem with lost savegame files.

So far, there's no evidence that lots of saves slows the game down. But saving over an old file might be making for larger files than saving as a new file. I've been meaning to check that since I realized that saving as a new file was making a file smaller than an autosave created just before that.

I'm all for saving before or after any major change! It's really nice to have fallback files.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • claritysfclaritysf Posts: 384 Member
    Thanks @Luthienrising! I'm going to check out that mod :)
    tumblr_mackehc6CQ1qgi6ty.gif