Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to win Gaming Tournaments?

Ok, so I've been racking my brain about this because so far I've had some pretty junk luck. I am level 10 in Video Games as well as Charisma (if that helps) and yet I barely EVER win any Gaming Tournaments. I have gone in while Focused, Very Focused and even Confident to no avail. I have yet to win 1st place in ANY tournament, and barely do I get 3rd. Typically I lose.

So I wanted to come here and ask anyone that is winning these often, please answer these questions.

1 - What computer are you using?
1a - What upgrades does it have?

2 - What mood are you going into the tournament with?

3 - What game are you choosing to play?

4 - What level of tournament are you playing? Expert/Novice?

5 - Are you researching Advanced Video Game Strategies before every Tournament?

6 - Please add any other details you think is assisting you in winning!

Thanks so much for any and all assistance you guys are willing to share!

Comments

• Chris41279Chris41279 Posts: 247 Member
    Wow this got lost in the pages quickly. Anyone with any info?
  • MissLaraeMissLarae Posts: 215 Member
    I would like an answer to this as well. I hope someone out there knows...I've upgraded my computers with everything and my tech guy is maxed out in programming and gaming yet the highest he ever placed was 2nd. It's also very rare for him to place at all. I've tried it when all his needs are full, I've tried playing when he has a different mood. Still never placed 1st. I don't know know what else to try!
    It's almost like having gaming skill doesn't even matter. As if its strictly a random dice roll whether you win or lose. That's fairly disappointing.
  • Mashimar0Mashimar0 Posts: 1,770 Member
    I think you have to play the game a lot (offline, not tournament) after losing 4 tournaments, i just focused on playing one game for few days, and i began few winning streaks.
    vyogg9rodtfcebiur2om.gif
  • fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    yeah I think you need to play 1 game a lot then enter into a competition.
  • meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    Mashimar0 wrote: »
    I think you have to play the game a lot (offline, not tournament) after losing 4 tournaments, i just focused on playing one game for few days, and i began few winning streaks.

That would make a lot of sense if they programmed it that way. After all, you can't win online races at Mario Kart 8 unless you do some practicing on your own, right? Man, it would be fun if TS4 eventually had three different consoles the parodied the big three and had a gameboy parody. Tablet games and phone games are just lame in comparison. Though the virtual reality gaming system is pretty neat.
  • sirenprincesssirenprincess Posts: 220 Member
    I'd like an answer to this too. I'm also playing with the various emotions to see if anything seems to help, but nothing so far. I HAVE won one tournament and my sim is level 9 in gaming. I hadn't thought of upgrading the computer or researching strategy. Good ideas! I did have him play offline before entering a tournament. I don't know if that helped.
  • sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    well I can't say I have the answer, cause I do not remember what I did, but of course my sim lost 3 games. I think it has to do with actual time spent not just in a game, but in their lives, actually doing something that relates to that game. just guessing here, but it sounds abt right. now as for upgrading I do that all the time, I was hoping to see a sim get electrocuted, but of course not, my sims are immune. any ways if anyone actually gets the full answer that would be cool to know.
    Yea I am really hoping someone out there has done some testing on this and come to some form of a conclusion. All this guessing and grasping at straws can be a tad annoying. I mean I understand figuring it out for yourself, but when you've tried all the options you THINK would work and they don't?? Well, that just get's exasperating..
    I thought it had something to do with playing too so I had my sims play for long periods of time. Even did livestream and he's up 95k fans. I have done everything I can and I still fail. It's frustrating!
  • meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    sirona66 wrote: »
    well I can't say I have the answer, cause I do not remember what I did, but of course my sim lost 3 games. I think it has to do with actual time spent not just in a game, but in their lives, actually doing something that relates to that game. just guessing here, but it sounds abt right. now as for upgrading I do that all the time, I was hoping to see a sim get electrocuted, but of course not, my sims are immune. any ways if anyone actually gets the full answer that would be cool to know.

I've heard that if you get a sim dazed and then try to have them fix something they will get electrocuted.

And just out of curiosity, is winning a tournament a goal or a wish or something? If it is and you hover over it with your mouse then they will give you a tip on how to complete it.
    Part of one of the aspirations is winning $5,000 from Live Streaming or Tournaments. The problem is, gaining that from Live Streaming is nearly impossible. 1st place in Tournaments can net you upwards of $3-5k. I mean, I can understand not wanting us to win 1st place all of the time. It just seems like there should be a more consistent basis for winning when you've put so much time into the skill.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Hm. Maybe I'll try having my eGaming Sim only play the one game a lot and then try a tournament again.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • FirelloFirello Posts: 92 Member
    edited September 2014
    What i experienced and what i read here.... I think u just need to play that game (not through tournaments).
    My sim isn't even eGamer (just that second branch), he has like 7-8 gaming skill and he won pro tournament... but i play that videogame rly often (i guess he was skilling gaming 3-8 lvl with that one game)
    sigv2.jpg
    Please be patient with my English *** European simmer since TS1

Ya know... we are gamers, playing a game, of a gamer, playing a game... What has this world come to??? *Runs back to his sim to play more Hillock II*
  • Vivian54Vivian54 Posts: 89 Member
    I tried the suggestion to play only one game all the time and it worked. I almost always win 1st place. I am level 10 in programing and computer games. I also play the game focused and play the game one hour before entering tournament. Thanks for the suggestion to play only one game all the time. I am close to completing aspiration now. :))
  • Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    I have generally been playing 'brickablock' (or whatever it is) and have lost all 11 of my tournies. I am not in the tech career however so I am just hopeful the game isn't coded so casual gamers don't ever win. My sims is Level 9 in gaming and has tried while in pretty much every mood (generally focused) - furthermore she has entered using the cube and in the top computer you can get....zilch. :(
    Well, since Tournaments are for more serious players, I can see why that would make more sense.

Although, I have had some luck winning a tournament after playing the same game offline for a while. Let's hope that streak sticks around.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Tetris as an e-sport. I'll watch that :)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I was wondering this very same thing. I can't win even one - and my Sim has high skill on everything and she plays the same games over and over. This one seems too hard to complete, but I will try some of the suggestions above and follow up.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • L33tprincessL33tprincess Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2014
    I think I may have figured it out!
    I was having this issue. My sim had level ten in gaming and I was loosing every professional tournament I entered. (I never bothered with the novice tournaments.)
    So what I did was I bought the 10,000 simolian computer, modded Hillock II, played it regularly (Not in a tournament) for about an hour (Please note that my sim never played this game before), brushed my teeth and psyched myself up in the mirror (So that I was in the confident mood) and then entered the tournament. I have placed third or higher every time since started doing it this way and I achieved the aspiration goal in about 4 tournaments.
    I think having the expensive computer was the key. One time my decor overtook the confident mood and I still won with a focused mood. I am not sure if the modding helps or not.
    Hope this helps.
    I started a new game yesterday and made my Sim play for 2 days. She only took breaks to take care of needs. She was about level 3 in gaming I had her enter the novice tournament and she won. She only played the sims game. I'm still not able to win on my other person who was a level 10 programmer and gamer, had the highest computer with all the upgrades, had 100k followers on livestream and played hours and hours of one game. I might try him again and have him play for a couple of days then try another tournament.
  • DariuDariu Posts: 3,120 Member
    Back in the day when i was newbie in counter-Strike source.. i remember how i always die so easily and such..

I then do some extreme training
    Where i play and play at the same time playing extremely slow music on headphones that make me sleepy... and it does make me drowsy during gameplay but it helps give me more focus...
    Then i switched to heavy metal music blasting out heavily... which gave me a hard time hearing footsteps
    So i have to rely on instincts with caution and move quick and react quick.

After that..

Later i introduced myself to other custom gameplay e.g. surf maps
    Surf_l33t_xl_beta and etc.
    If you try surf... its an entirely different gameplay and whilst moving your aim is completely off except for shotgun.

That... taught me a lot on flow and movement and the physics of the game.

To the extent some surf maps i can surf it backwards without seeing ahead or move frantically to kill people with automatic weapons whilst flying at ridiculous speed.

Basically to win tournaments you need passion, commitment and.. just love gaming.

In the end i partake in a competition in Indonesia (whilst visiting) at a computer convention. Everyone boasts their rank and position and previous titles.. im just in it for the fun...
    And i won. I killed them all.
    Semi-final.. 30 rounds... was stopped at 23 rounds. 53 kills/3 deaths. I died cos my teammates grenaded me.

And well.. yeah. That was my story.
    Just do what you can.
    Im 24 now.. and i play many types of games. And i give tips to my lil cousins who are gamers.

...occasionally though, i remininsce the time in Australia i joined my friend's clan and we went to the top of the ladder in the game Enemy territory. And many many many other games.. those were the glory days of our gaming... but at the end of the day.. as we stood ontop of the tower.. we solemnly, quietly looked into the distance knowing we reached our goal and the thousands of dreams we have crushed to be at the very top.. it was morely sad than happy since we feel there is nothing more to conquer in that game.. and when we parted ways.. we moved on with our lives...
    Though deep down... one day... some day.. maybe we'll play together again...
  • mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I took the advice here and researched gaming tips, played the game a while and then entered the tournament. I place almost every time - even if it's only third place. This is much better than what I've experienced since I bought the game - not placing at all.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • MechasaurusHDMechasaurusHD Posts: 2 New Member
    You keep playing the game for example if I keep playing refuge at level ten video games then do blicblock tournament il lose but if I keep playing blicblock then do the tournament im more likely to win