Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims on Mac using Wine

So I pre-ordered and bought the Sims 4 and did not know that you could not use it on mac until I actually opened the box and put the CD in my computer. I was very frustrated and couldn't even return it since I opened the box. I asked my IT guy at my work if there was anyway of playing it on a mac. He installed wine onto my computer and install Sims 4. When he went to play it it said there was an update that needed to be done. The update is now at 53% but has been going on since 5pm yesterday and its 9:15am now. It keeps crashing every few minutes and I'm not sure what to do.

Comments

• Candyr277Candyr277 Posts: 623 Member
    I've heard of other Mac users using Bootcamp or something to play the game. However, I believe you'll also need the Windows OS.
    "The great will not be constrained by the small." - BioShock

Unknown.jpeg

• AshleeMDAndradeAshleeMDAndrade Posts: 53 Member
    You're going to have to uninstall and install bootcamp. I used Windows 7 anything below that is a no. But honestly, my game crashes like every 20 minutes. I don't know if it's specifically related to bootcamp or if there's something else related to it. I'm bringing it to someone so good luck- but bootcamp is your best option and btw it'll take all day to downloAd
    <3
  • Cherry199254Cherry199254 Posts: 2 New Member
    Kaylya7 can I ask you how the IT guy did to make the mac recognize the CD2? I did EVERYTHING to make it recognize it but it doesn't work :(
    PS: I think Bootcamp isn't necessary since she already has Wine, I mean I don't think this is the problem
  • LiithalLiithal Posts: 1 New Member
    Sims 4 will run fine with Bootcamp and Windows 7 or 8 since Bootcamp is just dual boot into native windows whereas at that point you are running a standard pc. Have also run it on a virtual Windows system with Parallels lower graphic settings but decent. Have not tried WINE. To be honest if you want to play windows games on a mac you really should just use bootcamp you will get the best performance for the game that way.
  • baibrobaibro Posts: 16 Member
    How about stop being stupid use the more superior Windows PC...
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    baibro wrote: »
    How about stop being stupid use the more superior Windows PC...

Thank you for being both unhelpful and incorrect. Why are you in the Mac forum? You clearly would be much happier in the other forums.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited September 2014
    You're going to have to uninstall and install bootcamp. I used Windows 7 anything below that is a no. But honestly, my game crashes like every 20 minutes. I don't know if it's specifically related to bootcamp or if there's something else related to it. I'm bringing it to someone so good luck- but bootcamp is your best option and btw it'll take all day to downloAd

Actually the Demo runs on Windows XP just fine and if you read the game specs it will run on Windows XP. So you can use anything currently Windows to run the game. I use Parallels which is a program that allows Windows to run on Mac exactly like any other program. Just a word of warning possibly, I have a quad core iMac so it runs just fine for me. I only have the Demo of Sims 4, but if that runs fine then I am guessing the game should as well.

Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • 256Iris256256Iris256 Posts: 170 Member
    I'm actually curious as to how it works with wine (since that's free and bootcamping my mac would cost me about €60 on top of the price of the sims 4, which is a lot). Does anyone know if it's possible to play sims 4 through wine? Or even play sims 3 with less problems than when you use your OS X?
  • LLLeoNixLLLeoNix Posts: 1 New Member
    There is sim 3 on mac and I tried to run sim 4 on mac with my wine but it doesn't work. But there is a way is you use parallel desktop with window 7 or 8 and run sim 4 in it.
  • naszillanaszilla Posts: 17 New Member
    Will there ever be an update for Mac or are we just forgot about here?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    There are currently working on a port of Sims 4 to the Mac OS. No release date as of yet.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    @LLLeoNix I know about the option of using parallels or bootcamp. I just don't have the money, I'd only use it for the sims and for me spending over €60 for that is way to much, because I'd also have to buy the sims 4. I just don't have that kind of money, I'm a student, seems like EA doesn't understand that we're not all rich (sims is sooo expensive. :stuck_out_tongue:)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    256Iris256 wrote: »
    @LLLeoNix I know about the option of using parallels or bootcamp. I just don't have the money, I'd only use it for the sims and for me spending over €60 for that is way to much, because I'd also have to buy the sims 4. I just don't have that kind of money, I'm a student, seems like EA doesn't understand that we're not all rich (sims is sooo expensive. :stuck_out_tongue:)

If you're a student aren't you eligible for a heavily discounted copy of Windows?

apple-signature.png
    @bluebellflora Not heavy enough unfortunately. I'd still have to pay €60 and that's a little too much for me just to be able to play a game (better).
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited December 2014
    I had to deal with this issue with Dead Rising 3 which was exclusive on Xbox One but released on Windows in 2014. Rise of the Tomb Raider will be released as an Xbox Exclusive which upset many people especially PlayStation, PC and Mac fans considering that Tomb Raider is known for its PlayStation release. And I see how you Mac users have to deal with TS4 not being on Mac unless you use Boot Camp, Wine or other software and have a copy of Windows.
    Post edited by WinMacSims3 on
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • GibbyabyssGibbyabyss Posts: 1 New Member
    Not sure if anyone will reply, but I'm having a similar problem. I bought a "hack" to get all expansions and stuff packs and I installed it through something called Wine. The game crashes after a couple hours of playing. The screen freezes 10-15 minutes when I'm in build mode and the only way to exit the Sims 4 is turn my computer off and on again. (Minor) but my hair mods are all messed up. Is there a way to fix this?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    @Gibbyabyss - This board is not totally dead yet. But you may not like the response very much.

The point of this thread was that for a few months beginning in Sept 2014, there was only TS4 for Windows. The Mac version of the game was launched early the following year. In between, players on Macs were looking for ways to play the Windows version of the game as they had already purchased it with the understanding that they would get the rights to run it on both platforms eventually. I do not believe that Wine is known to be a viable way to run Sims games. Bootcamp is.

It's all kind of moot now since the Mac version of TS4 exists. But in any event, this is EA's forum. They make and sell the game, you cannot get assistance here with pirated or hacked copies that don't work right as that discussion would be wildly against the forum rules. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! Please remember that discussing games that were not downloaded from an official source is not allowed in the forums. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/922566/forum-dos-and-donts#latest
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top