Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    His first name is Douglas, his surname is Curtis :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    edited September 2014
    It just now hit me, while I was building and keeping an eye on the lot value. On 40x30 lot, the base cost is S6500 on TS4, and a 20x30 costs S5500. Is that a higher base cost compared to TS3?

Just wondering, though I am already considering trying it all over again on a smaller lot so that I can maximize the S150k budget you've given us. Not complaining about budget, just remarking upon the S cost between TS3 and TS4
    Post edited by celdys0n on
  • countrykris1playcountrykris1play Posts: 155 Member
    I just now noticed that the budget is the same for the challenge in Sims 3 as it is for Sims 4. I don't think that is right. It seams all things Sims 4 is more expansive. You should adjust the allowed amount to be right for Sims 4 instead of keeping it the same as for Sims 3. 30x20 is §120 and a 40x30 is §2400 in Sims 3 Sunset Valley.
  • benlow11benlow11 Posts: 83 Member
    The lot price depends on the lot's location. In Willow Creek there is a "neighborhood" (it's 4 houses) that is more expensive than the other lots the same size, I'm guessing because it's supposed to be an upper class neighborhood. So I would try a lot the same size in a different neighborhood. It should be less expensive.
  • TwilaniteTwilanite Posts: 53 Member
    edited September 2014

Isn't it the other gap that is the problem, which you still see? What you describe is just the kind of trim the roof has by default. You can just change that. The gap you still see is the flooring you don't have. Try first adding a floor with the build tools (build a room without walls or fences). You will then have no gap, and you have an extra option to add a wall trim, which can create a better effect;)

Look at my entry post link for Challenge 1 you SHOULD be able to see what I mean. You mean one of the pre-built rooms without the walls? Because I am not sure I understand what you mean by the gap is flooring I don't have. Its a single story their shouldn't be a gap. And I've tried the one more tile thing roof still floats. So its the trim that makes it look like its floating or my machine is rendering it that way? I'm not trying to be a pain just could you clarify a little? Thanks! ~Twilanite
    benlow11 wrote: »
    The lot price depends on the lot's location. In Willow Creek there is a "neighborhood" (it's 4 houses) that is more expensive than the other lots the same size, I'm guessing because it's supposed to be an upper class neighborhood. So I would try a lot the same size in a different neighborhood. It should be less expensive.

You're right. I took a look at the other neighborhoods with the 40x30 lots in Willow Creek, they are different prices. Seems TS4 decided to have lower, middle and upper class neighborhoods. Location, location, location is everything in this game! Nice catch, @benlow11

Sadly, the lower class neighborhood 40x30 lot is occupied, so now I need to decide if I want to evict some sims for the sake of the challenge or be nice....
    Base price for the 40x30 lots of Willow Creek:
    Umbrage Manor = 6500
    Brook Bungalow = 3000
    Garden Essence = 2000

Base price for the 30x20 lots of Willow Creek:
    Hollow Slough = 5500
    (Next to Brook Bungalow, I changed the lot name so I don't know the original) = 2500
    Daisy Hovel = 2000

I hope this helps everyone with their budget plan for this build! I know we are building for a rich guy, so we need to keep this kind of stuff in mind. Would be nice to build the house in the Upper Class neighborhood but with the budget, it's downright tricky but worth the challenge!

I am planning on changing the houses around the lower class neighborhood so I can give the feeling of richness, even though it's low class. Lol
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @Twilanite The only semi-solution I have found on my own is using one of the 2 bigger roof trim styles (I don't remember what they were called) with the roof style that appears to be floating. They hide floating effect. But this isn't a solution really, because sometimes you don't want a huge trim on the roof. I'm going to go see if I can find any more info. If I find anything I'll let you know.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Is anyone wishing for more money? I mean...Curtis is wealthy after all. I've blown through the cash and I still have one bedroom, bath, and the amazing outdoor patio to go. Ahh! :#
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    Is anyone wishing for more money? I mean...Curtis is wealthy after all. I've blown through the cash and I still have one bedroom, bath, and the amazing outdoor patio to go. Ahh! :#

I kind of do, but at the same time I really want to see if I can achieve this challenge using the same budget as TS3. The budget is actually why I posted the base cost of lots earlier, so that I can help others who are struggling with the allowance given to us.
    @Twilanite did my post not explain what you needed to fix?
    I'm not very good at describing how to do things with just words. So here is a pic to show you what to do to fix your roof. It works with all the roofs. Hope this helps you.

page.jpg
  • KraftySimKraftySim Posts: 277 Member
    Does Douglas want a patio or balcony, since the penthouse is a one story build? I was originally thinking that the lobby would be the bottom floor and the penthouse would be upstairs (so it would have a balcony) and there could only be two stories making the penthouse just one level.
    From what I gather it is all to be just one story with or with out foundation. In the brief it states it is to be a balcony.
    That's what I'm gathering too, but by definition, a balcony is not on the ground level. I guess that's where I'm confused.
    edited September 2014
    My guess is that if you use a foundation then it can be considered a balcony. This is the same challenge as for Sims 3. Where in Sims 3 I'm sure there using the apartment shells to make there penthouse. In witch then theirs would be a true balcony.
    thanks for your help, @countrykris1play.
    I thought of the balcony as another way of saying deck or porch. Though you are right, @KraftySim, when you say that a balcony is an open area overlooking a lower area.

It seems to me that using the same challenge from TS3 in TS4 is proving challenging for all of us, the BnS team included. I know they were trying to avoid a headache but instead created more of a headache.

BnS, I was thinking of this for some time now, but perhaps it's time for you to have two teams. One for TS3 and one for TS4 and do a joint challenge every so often if it can include elements from both games. I know y'all were thinking of trying to keep things simple until the dust settles but....eheh.

I do apologize if I offend, but I have found my own way of rising to this challenge. I am still on board with this.
    Oh...I found my problem! I guess it wasn't very smart to buy a $14000 refrigerator! :p
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    I am in game and working with the foundation as a balcony. My confusion lied in semantics and I'm just happy to play along with the challenge! I had fun creating Douglas and it's been fun building his house so far. :-)
    Ok I got the floating roof look fixed now. They use a angled trim which makes it look whacky. And your right option 3 @countrykris1play. Yeah it showed how but was confused by a later post of another apparent way of doing it? (Not sure)

I just hope the roof is going to look right now and all I am doing is adding clutter to the main part of the house. And I can do it within budget as I got about 20k left so I am trying to add things without making it junky. Sooo it can be done. I may take up the optional challenge possibly if I have time.

I think we are supposed to imagine it on a top of a building or at least that's what I did. I put it up high on the top of an apartment building at least in my mind. ;) Imagining Bridgeport from Sims 3 or overlooking about any city. And if its too frustrating take a break walk away literally and come back you find you might have new ideas. ~Twilanite
    Question: Balcony is under required and also under Optional room challenge so I am left wondering which is it? Lol I might have to go back and change my build accordingly. Thanks!
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    I think that the Optional room challenge is to give people the option of just doing part of the challenge. I don't believe it means that it is optional to put a balcony on the penthouse if you choose to build the whole apartment.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    Ahh so it has to be included time to go back and change my build a bit then not a big deal. Doable :) that's what I was wondering. Thanks!
  • LavenderLavender Posts: 73 Member
    Rose had just finished rinsing the coffee pot and set it on the counter to drip dry when she heard a strange, strangled sound coming from the nearby office. She stepped inside the door to see her normally composed co-worker at Lavender Designs staring in disbelief at a blank computer screen.

"It's gone! It's all gone!" Lavender moaned. "The whole Curtis build..."

"Gone? How can it be gone? I know you're so diligent about regularly saving your work!"

Lavender just squeezed her eyes shut. Rose's mouth formed a little pink "o," and she backed slowly out of the office. She picked up the coffee pot she'd just washed, and reached for the coffee beans. It was going to be a long night.
    edited September 2014
    Is anyone planning on doing exterior landscaping? It's supposed to be on top of a building so I wasn't planning on it but it looks so bad! I also made a flat roof because it's on a skyscraper. What's really nerve-wracking is he has floor to ceiling windows to the outside which no one is supposed to see in but every neighbor can peek in since it's on the ground. A very strange challenge. I'd love to do a wedding or nightclub venue (or even library or gym) for the next challenge. Something that would benefit the Sims 4 community. I had fun with the interior on this, though and creating the snobby Curtis. B)

Lavender--so you lost your work? That happened to me because I didn't save it to my library. It cleaned out the whole interior. I about cried because it was hours of work but the redo was actually better.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top