Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    > @countrykris1play said:
    >
    > LOL This line made me remember my childhood. My mom kept the house so pristine that my friends felt like there were in a museum.

LOL Exactly, @countrykris1! I have been in houses like this and I was so afraid to touch anything! And in the opposite end of the spectrum, I've sadly been in houses that should be condemned and listed as a bio-hazard! I'll take something in between, thanks... LOL =)
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    KelSimmie wrote: »
    BUT... Then I thought... Wait a minute... Not everyone in the world wants prim and proper and stuffy looking houses.

That's so funny and true! I realized a while back that I have a tendency to build 'grandma' houses -- houses that have a real 30's or 40's feel to them and that are decorated and furnished the way grandma's house would be (in Sims 3, I did duplicate, exactly, my grandmother's house and I'm thinking of making it again for Sims 4). Some of my happiest times in life were at my grandparents and I love seeing my sims all comfy and happy, too. :) That said, I do want to try to build some more modern homes too, eventually - I love modern architecture!
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • BarbieofBorgBarbieofBorg Posts: 5 New Member
    > @BuildnShare said:
    > asphyxiateddoll Aw thanks hon!! *hugs*
    >
    > BarbieofBorg - your link to your media is not working, any chance you can take a look at it hon?
    I repasted the link but had to remove the http because I don't have enough points to post links
    www.slideshare.net/BarbieofBorg/challenge1-39194701
    sorry for typos..I sliced off right thumb tip using a mandolin the other day..its going to take a while to heal.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    > @BuildnShare said:<br />
    > asphyxiateddoll Aw thanks hon!! *hugs*<br />
    > <br />
    > BarbieofBorg - your link to your media is not working, any chance you can take a look at it hon?<br />
    I repasted the link but had to remove the http because I don't have enough points to post links<br />
    www.slideshare.net/BarbieofBorg/challenge1-39194701<br />
    sorry for typos..I sliced off right thumb tip using a mandolin the other day..its going to take a while to heal.

Oh wow! You poor thing! Hope it heals up quickly *hugs* Thanks for re-posting the link, that works perfectly!!

GArBA5W.jpg
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    > @ahholladay said:
    >
    > That's so funny and true! I realized a while back that I have a tendency to build 'grandma' houses -- houses that have a real 30's or 40's feel to them and that are decorated and furnished the way grandma's house would be (in Sims 3, I did duplicate, exactly, my grandmother's house and I'm thinking of making it again for Sims 4). Some of my happiest times in life were at my grandparents and I love seeing my sims all comfy and happy, too. :) That said, I do want to try to build some more modern homes too, eventually - I love modern architecture!

Hmmm... now you have me thinking about duplicating the house I grew up in! =) Happy, Happy times! =)

I love the look of modern architecture as well! Just haven't quite figured out how to get the look yet. But then again, with me thinking only of the Sims's needs in mind (Short pathways and compact rooms so that it doesn't take an hour to get from point A to point B, such as being late for work! LOL Their mood by boosting environment as high as I can, even if that means I have 10 copies of the number 10 wall hangings all around the house! Their comfort and skill levels by having the most comfortable piece of furniture and the maxed out skill level items.) I guess it limits how I build. Usually before building the outside structure (which tends to always be rectangleish with some angled walls thrown in for good measure) I pick out the highest stat items and plunk them down in the general area I want them. Thank goodness you can place toilets anywhere in The Sims 4!!! I got tired in 3 of having to have a wall to place them against! LOL And with designing from the inside out, I don't always have windows where it would look nice from the outside, I have them where it fits in with the inside structure. I don't like having windows in bathrooms, I kind of like my privacy, although will place maybe a small one up at the top if I have to... Anymore, nowadays, you are encouraged to have blinds on all of your windows so that people can't see what you have in your house so that they are not tempted to steal from you. But, you rarely see a windowless structure. In fact, in modern architecture, it seems to use a lot of windows, from floor to ceiling and wall to wall... so, for me, that takes a bit of getting used to. I do think it's time to take a look at some structures and build from that, if just for the design factor.
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    Okay, total newb question here, but...

Is the 150k budget the price tag for the build furnished or unfurnished? I mean, theoretically, Mr. Curtis would have his own furnishings, right?

Thank you for your time and patience with newbs such as myself.

Cheers,
    Ro
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    @Rostri-Jodu - the budget is for the build furnished. You are designing a new abode for him and purchasing all new furnishings :)

I'm a member again, YAY! Thanks everyone :D I'm going back and liking comments of everyone else who hasn't crossed the threshold yet!!
    @Rostri-Jodu - the budget is for the build furnished. You are designing a new abode for him and purchasing all new furnishings :)

I'm a member again, YAY! Thanks everyone :D I'm going back and liking comments of everyone else who hasn't crossed the threshold yet!!

Okay. *deletesvaultedceilings* I figured that was probably going to be the case. *deletes1/2bath* But it never hurts to ask! Right? *reducesfoundation*

Cheers,
    Ro

• celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    Woohoo! I've shared my version of Douglas Curtis the Third on the gallery. You'll find him under the bns tags. Despite not having everything, I think I've hit the nail on the head with this. I can't wait to see how others have interpreted the details of this character we are building for!
  • trashdockatrashdocka Posts: 142 Member
    Yey! im a member again! Thanks all <3
  • Greenowl77Greenowl77 Posts: 253 Member
    Man this build is a real challenge, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    Dang, I missed the deadline for the first build! But I will be getting my hands dirty on this new challenge and can't wait to see the results! I'm still learning how to use everything in Sims 4, so this should be a fun one!
  • TwilaniteTwilanite Posts: 53 Member
    I have a little over 100 points and can link and things again so like the rest of you wondering what number in points you really need. From reading seems its between 80-100 points or so. But that's my guess. And Evening fellow builders. *Waves with paint on my hands* Lol doing some Real World painting and such as well. ~Twilanite
    Also I noticed myself in the last Build it looks like my roof is floating? Not sure why that is and its also happening on this current build. I was wondering if it was because it auto puts a kind of floor between? Any advice suggestions to fix this? At this point not sure if its me or Sims 4. Thanks! ~Twilanite
  • benlow11benlow11 Posts: 83 Member
    @Twilanite -that is definitely strange. I looked at your slideshow and you can definitely see a gap but I do not think I have had that issue. Have you tried using a frieze around the roof to try and hide it? I know that's not a solution but maybe it would at least hide it until someone comes up with a fix for it. Maybe on Monday if you have time you could try posting about it in the "Ask a SimGuru" thread in the morning-between 11AM and noon CST (9-10AM Pacific time?) Here's the link for it: Ask a SimGuru
    If you don't have time I could try to post it for you if I am home from my dr's appt by then.
  • RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    Twilanite wrote: »
    Also I noticed myself in the last Build it looks like my roof is floating? Not sure why that is and its also happening on this current build. I was wondering if it was because it auto puts a kind of floor between? Any advice suggestions to fix this? At this point not sure if its me or Sims 4. Thanks! ~Twilanite
    Maybe you can hide it using the Trim options?

I actually had the same issue. All you need to do is drag your roof one more block in each direction so that you have an overhang. Then it won't look like it's floating!

• KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    trashdocka wrote: »
    Apologies for any confusion, the idea of this challenge is to try and make a pent house 'style' build, a one story luxurious build that you could imagine sitting at the top of a sky scraper.

So are we allowed to make a two-story penthouse? or is it a requirement that its only one story?

Apartments tend to be one story, so, yes, the requirements is for a one story build.

So, imagine yourself stepping off of an elevator into generously appointed lobby with access to the pent house suite (hence the entrance lobby part of the challenge).

What exactly do you mean by "generously appointed lobby"?

This sort of thing:

lobby_4.jpg

@Douglas Curtis
    Mr Curtis how much privacy do you want? I'd like to know to suit your needs.... Thanks!

Mr Curtis is fairly open on this, (haha open, get it?) As long as there is some privacy for him in the form of his master suite where he can go and relax...

Can you please update the requirements in OP to indicate that it should only be 1 story? I didn't know this until a friend told me. =S
    edited September 2014
    Well is it possible to delete the floor between then lay the roof? If not I am going to try ALL the suggestions. I have never ever been good at roofs. And I want to ask a Guru to bring one of my favorite things back from Sims 1 as well...... I'm on Eastern Time Btw so if the guru chat is in Cali then they are -3 from mine. And they only chat Mon-Fri. So got to wait a day or two. :) Thanks All ~Twilanite

Edit: Its just the other one not the Gabled that floats even with a overhang. The other doesn't. (Late too tired to remember the name)
    Post edited by Twilanite on
  • LavenderLavender Posts: 73 Member
    edited September 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 2
    FORUM ID: Lavender
    ORIGIN ID: Lavenderspirit22
    SIM: Douglas Curtis III
    LOT: Curtis Place
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s196.photobucket.com/user/Lavenderspirit2/slideshow/Sims%204%20Build%20and%20Share%202
    ENTRY DETAILS: Both my Sim and my "Penthouse" are on the gallery with the hashtags Buildnshare and Buildnshare2
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No cc; I will update this entry when I build the lot, but this is my take on Douglas Curtis III
    Post edited by Lavender on
  • countrykris1playcountrykris1play Posts: 155 Member
    Well is it possible to delete the floor between then lay the roof? If not I am going to try ALL the suggestions. I have never ever been good at roofs. And I want to ask a Guru to bring one of my favorite things back from Sims 1 as well...... I'm on Eastern Time Btw so if the guru chat is in Cali then they are -3 from mine. And they only chat Mon-Fri. So got to wait a day or two. :) Thanks All ~Twilanite

Edit: Its just the other one not the Gabled that floats even with a overhang. The other doesn't. (Late too tired to remember the name)

I'm not very good at describing how to do things with just words. So here is a pic to show you what to do to fix your roof. It works with all the roofs. Hope this helps you.

page.jpg
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member

I'm not very good at describing how to do things with just words. So here is a pic to show you what to do to fix your roof. It works with all the roofs. Hope this helps you.

page.jpg

Isn't it the other gap that is the problem, which you still see? What you describe is just the kind of trim the roof has by default. You can just change that. The gap you still see is the flooring you don't have. Try first adding a floor with the build tools (build a room without walls or fences). You will then have no gap, and you have an extra option to add a wall trim, which can create a better effect;)
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member

Can you please update the requirements in OP to indicate that it should only be 1 story? I didn't know this until a friend told me. =S

Sorry Kit, have done this now :blush:

GArBA5W.jpg
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    Maybe a stupid question, but what is his first name? Curtis or Douglas?
  • countrykris1playcountrykris1play Posts: 155 Member
    I believe it's Douglas.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top