Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skill Books - What Levels?

NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
I'm a bit puzzled about the skill books our sims can buy and read. Nicole has been reading Book 1 for Logic. She advanced to Skill Level 2. I bought the second book in the series, but when she started reading it, no bar appeared over her head. I'm guessing the book was too advanced. I directed her to put that book down. Later, after she'd had breakfast, I had her go back to reading Book 1. Yes, the bar appeared, it completed filling, and I got a pop-up telling me she'd reached Level 3. Suddenly, she got tense. I read the moodlet associated, and it said the skill book was too difficult. It was over her head. Huh? She was reading Book 1, had just advanced a level, so why was it suddenly too difficult?

Is there anything in this game that tells us what skill levels are covered for each book in a skill series? Our time is so limited, I don't want any sims wasting time by reading books that won't advance their levels. I'm wondering if Nicole is now ready to advance to Book 2, but I'm still baffled as to why she had a moodlet making her tense because Book 1 was too hard. That doesn't make sense. I should say, that's not logical...LOL.

Another problem is that when I click on Book 1, the menu choice is "re-read" -- leading me to believe she's gained all the skill from it she can. Apparently, not. I just had her pick it up again, and the skill bar does appear, so even though she's Level 3 she is still increasing her logic skill with Book 1.

So, at what level does a sim require Book 2 in a skill set? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    CookietownCookietown Posts: 196 Member
    I noticed the same with the mixology book, I think it was around level 5 she got the bored moodlet from book 1 and moved on to book 2. Unfortunately she died before I could find out what level to swap to book 3
  • Options
    Rainbow2Rainbow2 Posts: 83 Member
    According to Carl's Sims 4 Guide (sorry I can't link):
    "...you can learn the first four levels of a Skill from the first volume, though you must reread the book to do so. You will not gain Skill level from Volume 2 or 3 until you've reached level 4. Volume 2 works up to level 7, at which point you can read Volume 3. The last volume will only take your Skill to level 9, requiring you to at last use the Skill for Mastery."
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Rainbow2 wrote: »
    According to Carl's Sims 4 Guide (sorry I can't link):<br />
    "...you can learn the first four levels of a Skill from the first volume, though you must reread the book to do so. You will not gain Skill level from Volume 2 or 3 until you've reached level 4. Volume 2 works up to level 7, at which point you can read Volume 3. The last volume will only take your Skill to level 9, requiring you to at last use the Skill for Mastery."

That's really helpful. Bless Carl and his crew! I was really confused because after my Sim got Level 3 mischief, the option was to "reread" the book, so I thought she must have learned all there was to learn and sent her on to the second one. She got the tense moodlet, something about reading something over her head. I was so confused, I thought maybe she had to do level 4 through interactions.
  • Options
    Rainbow2 wrote: »
    According to Carl's Sims 4 Guide (sorry I can't link):<br />

Thank you so much for this information!
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    It has confused a lot of the older sims series players as the skill books used to be book 1 for level 1 to 3 then book 2 for 4 to 6 and book 3 for the rest . Now book 1 is level 1 to 4 and book 2 for 5 to 7
  • Options
    It has confused a lot of the older sims series players as the skill books used to be book 1 for level 1 to 3 then book 2 for 4 to 6 and book 3 for the rest . Now book 1 is level 1 to 4 and book 2 for 5 to 7

What really confused me was why my Sim got the "too advanced" moodlet when reading Book 1. She was already at Level 3 when the moodlet came up. Maybe she was just tired, but it definitely had me confused.

• Options
    aktexaktex Posts: 367 Member

What really confused me was why my Sim got the "too advanced" moodlet when reading Book 1. She was already at Level 3 when the moodlet came up. Maybe she was just tired, but it definitely had me confused.

Sounds like your sim suffered from sudden amnesia.
    tcvoh84l0v7b6kg3g.jpg
  • Options
    Rainbow2Rainbow2 Posts: 83 Member
    The "too advanced" thing is pretty weird, yeah. Sounds like it's either a mood thing (maybe she was tired or stressed?) or a glitch.
  • Options
    jafo88fanjafo88fan Posts: 577 Member
    Could it be because her skill was too advanced for the book? Though mine usually get the bored mood if they are too high in a skill for the book.
  • Options
    galaxyflier1galaxyflier1 Posts: 383 Member
    I can't even keep my Sims attention on the books.
  • Options
    dixieangel550dixieangel550 Posts: 779 Member
    edited September 2014
    you have to read the first book up to level 4, then not sure what the second one too. but that is what my sim had to do with mixology.
    QPs2LMU.jpg
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Seems like doing the re-read bit doesn't count towards the number of books you have to read for certain aspirations, but you need to do it to get the skill to a certain level.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    PokerocraftPokerocraft Posts: 3 New Member
    I got my sim to level 9 but what is this "requiring you to at last use the Skill for Mastery." Because my sim gets bored reading the 3rd book for handiness, but what is the skill for mastery?
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    I got my sim to level 9 but what is this "requiring you to at last use the Skill for Mastery." Because my sim gets bored reading the 3rd book for handiness, but what is the skill for mastery?

This means that from now on, you can't build skill through skill books. You must do it through practice.

So in handiness case, get a woodworking table and get making. Or get some upgrade parts and start upgrading stuff.
  • Options
    PokerocraftPokerocraft Posts: 3 New Member
    > @EgonVM said:
    > This means that from now on, you can't build skill through skill books. You must do it through practice.
    >
    > So in handiness case, get a woodworking table and get making. Or get some upgrade parts and start upgrading stuff.

Oh ok though I already did that, the sim I used is max level for that now. So thank you even though I already figured it out a few hours ago.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited October 2021
    > @EgonVM said:
    > This means that from now on, you can't build skill through skill books. You must do it through practice.
    >
    > So in handiness case, get a woodworking table and get making. Or get some upgrade parts and start upgrading stuff.

Oh ok though I already did that, the sim I used is max level for that now. So thank you even though I already figured it out a few hours ago.

That's great! And you're welcome! I think your sim is ready to discover a secret. I won't give any more info on it besides it's in Oasis Springs.
  • Options
    EA_MakoEA_Mako Posts: 846 EA Community Manager
    Hey everyone, thanks for the additional tips to help clarify this!

The thread itself is quite old so I'm going to be locking it here to prevent further necro-posting, please keep those dates in mind when commenting in a thread. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top