Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Sales figures according to VGChartz

Comments

• LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    camman1995 wrote: »

How would you feel if you made a meal for a group of friends and they all pushed their plates aside and asked for something else? Game development is hard work.

The problem with that analogy is EA is not our friend, they are a business and we are customers.
    As well, I don't charge my friends to eat when I invite them to dinner. I paid EA for my game.
    And as to 'hard work'? If they cant put out a solid product they should find another job.

I find it amazing, AMAZING that Maxis is the only developer I have ever come across, scratch that I lie, Bioware concerning SWTOR, that has come out and said their job is hard.

If it SO HARD then please leave the field! Because your contemporaries are not crying and complaining to their fanbase that their job is hard! Maxis/EA should feel embarrassed and ashamed!
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member

How would you feel if you made a meal for a group of friends and they all pushed their plates aside and asked for something else? Game development is hard work.

The problem with that analogy is EA is not our friend, they are a business and we are customers.
    As well, I don't charge my friends to eat when I invite them to dinner. I paid EA for my game.
    And as to 'hard work'? If they cant put out a solid product they should find another job.

Thats what i am talking about
  • ContessaClaidieContessaClaidie Posts: 263 Member
    edited September 2014
    Well you only need to take a look how far Bioware has fallen under EA to see the truth of EA's lack of leadership ability
    going from being one of the worlds best rpg makers to producing rushed messes that was ME 3 and DA 2 Don't think you can fault maxis for the decisions of Greedy Executives and Investors pretending to run the game industry when they obviously have not a clue what their doing etc of the companies under EA did quite well when they was not under EA :D
    “Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” - Albert Einstein
    I own all Sims 1 to 4 + Expansion, Stuff Packs but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Sims 2
    4.5 Ghz Processor, 32 Gb of Ram, 3x Geforce GTX Titan Z Extreme Edition, 1 TB SSD
  • camman1995camman1995 Posts: 900 Member
    edited September 2014
    Logisitcs wrote: »

I find it amazing, AMAZING that Maxis is the only developer I have ever come across, scratch that I lie, Bioware concerning SWTOR, that has come out and said their job is hard.

If it SO HARD then please leave the field! Because your contemporaries are not crying and complaining to their fanbase that their job is hard! Maxis/EA should feel embarrassed and ashamed!

Dude, game development is hard. If it wasn't hard it wouldn't take many years and several thousand (or tens or hundreds of thousands) of dollars to make games. If you genuinely believe that it isn't then go develop your own Sims game and give EA some healthy competition.

Edit: Also, please take note that Bioware is another EA subsidiary. With how much the public hates EA and their business practices, imagine how fun it must be to work in a studio that answers to them.
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Jazzy6897 wrote: »
    Ok, lol, let's try this again:

Let's say you're waiting on results for a test you're taking on your computer. Usually, the results only take about a few seconds to load. But this time when loading it's taking a little bit longer. Just because it's taking a bit longer to load, do you automatically think the results for the test are bad?

Say your company bleeds US$ 250,000,000.00 a quater and your latest release got little press, and most of what little press it got was mixed to negative. Wouldn't you send out a press release with the good, reassuring numbers? If they were good, why wouldn't you?

Dude, game development is hard. If it wasn't hard it wouldn't take many years and several thousand (or tens or hundreds of thousands) of dollars to make games. If you genuinely believe that it isn't then go develop your own Sims game and give EA some healthy competition.

I'm sorry I didn't spend years in school learning game development! THEY DID! How dare they come out and say "It's too hard" when asked why something isn't in the game! I don't see Rockstar or Valve or Take-Two or Square Enix crying that game development is hard. No they buckle down and get the game finished!

I'm sorry I didn't spend years in school learning game development! THEY DID! How dare they come out and say "It's too hard" when asked why something isn't in the game! I don't see Rockstar or Valve or Take-Two or Square Enix crying that game development is hard. No they buckle down and get the game finished!

And had they the time I'm sure they would have gotten it to a point that would fall under the purview of "finished" by your standards.

Note that Rockstar, Valve, and Take-Two don't answer to a publisher. They are their own publisher (they're too big for me to call them indie though). Maxis cannot say "We don't have time, we have to delay this". EA decides on deadlines for them.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited September 2014

I genuinely believe that the people at Maxis are talented. They lack the time to flesh out their products to an extent that would satisfy everyone.

Some good points but still, consider...the claim of 'we didn't have enough time'. Sorry, don't buy it. When deadlines arise, you plan a basic bare-bones solution. What is the minimum we can get done? What can we maybe add on? I see the game and while it has good points sure, it has many many lacking elements that SHOULD have been considered basic or bare-bones for the game. We know the devs did not do this: Grant mentioned that the devs took a number of factors into what should go into the game, including what THEY wanted. Sorry, but no. That is what EPs are for.

So any basic game; take the best of the old and tweek it, add some new stuff to give it the wow factor. I doubt they even did that here.
    They wasted time and resources on making a giant cupcake maker, a huge microscope, a monter telescope/observatory and they couldn't even add something as small as a dishwasher where in effect you open a door. The insane dancing is another; something as simple as having sims dance face to face. How was that messed up in development? Ok heres yet another...sims don't even cuddle in bed anymore. How difficult is that to code? They could code in the 'I have to pee penguin walk' but not 2 sims cuddling? You can woohoo in the observatory but not in the shower? But they spent time developing angry poop and pee like a champion?

These are all fairly small coding issues but really? If a project is limited in time and costs, who actually approved this kind of poor planning? Angry poop but no dishwashers? They had time but they used it on the wrong things. Poorly planned and poorly executed.

And don't get me started on the time wasted on the "BRO TRAIT"

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius

I genuinely believe that the people at Maxis are talented. They lack the time to flesh out their products to an extent that would satisfy everyone.

Some good points but still, consider...the claim of 'we didn't have enough time'. Sorry, don't buy it. When deadlines arise, you plan a basic bare-bones solution. What is the minimum we can get done? What can we maybe add on? I see the game and while it has good points sure, it has many many lacking elements that SHOULD have been considered basic or bare-bones for the game. We know the devs did not do this: Grant mentioned that the devs took a number of factors into what should go into the game, including what THEY wanted. Sorry, but no. That is what EPs are for.

So any basic game; take the best of the old and tweek it, add some new stuff to give it the wow factor. I doubt they even did that here.
    They wasted time and resources on making a giant cupcake maker, a huge microscope, a monter telescope/observatory and they couldn't even add something as small as a dishwasher where in effect you open a door. The insane dancing is another; something as simple as having sims dance face to face. How was that messed up in development? Ok heres yet another...sims don't even cuddle in bed anymore. How difficult is that to code? They could code in the 'I have to pee penguin walk' but not 2 sims cuddling? You can woohoo in the observatory but not in the shower? But they spent time developing angry poop and pee like a champion?

These are all fairly small coding issues but really? If a project is limited in time and costs, who actually approved this kind of poor planning? Angry poop but no dishwashers? They had time but they used it on the wrong things. Poorly planned and poorly executed.

Mind you these are the same people who had to "look away" when Bella and Mortimer were woohoo'ing.

They're insane and some seem to have the mind of a 5 year old. There is no other explanation
    edited September 2014

This is largely conjecture but I think the cupcake maker and such were made fairly early in development. I dimly recall it being mentioned at Gamescom 2013.

Your complaint about dancing is subjective. They face other sims with their heads when talking to them. I like it this way personally.

I miss cuddling too.

Angry Poop and Pee Like a Champion are just different text prompts combined with emotion based idle animations that would have happened anyway. The fact that people complain about them confuses me.

About dishwashers, I don't know what to say. Washing dishes in the sink really isn't all that tragic, but I get that it's the principle of something that simple being removed more so than what was removed that you care about. Perhaps embedding them into counters is harder to do than it seems.

Edit: I see you edited in a complaint about the Bro trait. Again, subjective. I'm ambivalent on that one, but I don't get the fact that it draws ire from some.

Your complaint about dancing is subjective.

No, my point is they used time and resourses improperly. In any business if you know you have a limited time for the job you stick with the bare essentials. EA did not do this. The dancing is a symptom of what is wrong. It was rushed and LOOKS goofy. The dancing in ALL other sims games they danced face to face. The fact that the devs did not do this is beyond me. Other than it was quicker and easier to make the sims dance like in Charlie Brown Christmas show. The time used was not used well. A human has to go and key in certain actions, that is why I mentioned the bro trait the angry poop etc. They wasted time on that stuff when they should have focused on bare essentials.

Here's another example: sims take selfies right? So where are the pics? Yeah that's right...the devs didn't say to themselves gee maybe we should actually have the sims keep these selfies? No they did not.

They wasted time on stuff that could have waited, they could have focused on the essentials. Yet another example: why did they make TWO violins a child could play? Doesn't make sense. Why waste time on making a kids painting table? The kids could easily use the existing easel.

Oh one last thing...did you notice this one....

why have sim kids always for the last 3 games used to have little stools appear when they used counters, mirrors, etc
    but they aren't in this one?

it just seems like a bunch of devs who have no idea of the sims series worked on this.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius

Angry Poop and Pee Like a Champion are just different text prompts combined with emotion based idle animations that would have happened anyway. The fact that people complain about them confuses me.

Edit: I see you edited in a complaint about the Bro trait. Again, subjective. I'm ambivalent on that one, but I don't get the fact that it draws ire from some.

because it actually took a human developer TIME to actually make code for that. time better suited for other things...especially if they had such time constraints

Marcus Aurelius

No, my point is they used time and resourses improperly. In any business if you know you have a limited time for the job you stick with the bare essentials. EA did not do this. The dancing is a symptom of what is wrong. It was rushed and LOOKS goofy. The dancing in ALL other sims games they danced face to face. The fact that the devs did not do this is beyond me. Other than it was quicker and easier to make the sims dance like in Charlie Brown Christmas show. The time used was not used well. A human has to go and key in certain actions, that is why I mentioned the bro trait the angry poop etc. They wasted time on that stuff when they should have focused on bare essentials.

Here's another example: sims take selfies right? So where are the pics? Yeah that's right...the devs didn't say to themselves gee maybe we should actually have the sims keep these selfies? No they did not.

They wasted time on stuff that could have waited, they could have focused on the essentials. Yet another example: why did they make TWO violins a child could play? Doesn't make sense. Why waste time on making a kids painting table? The kids could easily use the existing easel.

Oh one last thing...did you notice this one....

why have sim kids always for the last 3 games used to have little stools appear when they used counters, mirrors, etc
    but they aren't in this one?

it just seems like a bunch of devs who have no idea of the sims series worked on this.

lol didn't see that selfie srsly thats so scheiße hipster xD

because it actually took a human developer TIME to actually make code for that. time better suited for other things...especially if they had such time constraints

While that reigns true for the bro trait, the animations for angry poop and pee like a champion would be used when standing still anyway, and at risk of sounding pretentious I'm willing to bet that coding it to say "Pee Like a Champion" while confident took all of a few seconds.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Most of what you guys are talking about (cups cakes, dancing, ect) is more about animations then coding. At least for time and resource crunching.

Yes obviously coding is needed to do those things and dancing is more a path finding issue however bad path finding is just messy programming by a messy coder. More time or money would not have fixed this - a better programmer would have.

If there is one thing this game did very well its animation...the coding well...its typical EA coding (too many code monkeys not enough 200K coders)

My point being most of these things you mentioned it more into the animation departments resources and on one hand I kinda get why some stuff is missing as EVERYTHING was animated from scratch where the Sims 3 re-used a lot of Sims 2 animations. So re-animating everything takes a lot of time and resources.

Where I'm going with this is, that eventually the animation departments work load decreases greatly near the gold master of the game and they usually find the time to add little animations like cuddling. The fact that they didn't tells me they probably were rushed just to get the regular animations finished (short window).

Its been clearly established that the Sims 4 was built once already as a online game then scrapped and rebuilt as what we have now...that "first' version of the game would have certainly taken time and resources away from the budget.

ITs not like were talking about Blizzard here who takes time to finish a game properly then release it despite its budget.

While that reigns true for the bro trait, the animations for angry poop and pee like a champion would be used when standing still anyway, and at risk of sounding pretentious I'm willing to bet that coding it to say "Pee Like a Champion" while confident took all of a few seconds.

Yes that is true. My point is that when you are under time constraints you do not waste even seconds on non-essentials.

Marcus Aurelius

No, my point is they used time and resourses improperly. In any business if you know you have a limited time for the job you stick with the bare essentials. EA did not do this. The dancing is a symptom of what is wrong. It was rushed and LOOKS goofy.

I don't think it looks rushed. Goofy perhaps, but I like it. As I said, this complaint is subjective. It is a waste to you because you personally don't like the way it looks.

Also, the absence of stools for kids to stand on really changes nothing. Like, at all. It doesn't look unrealistic for them to be standing on their toes to do some interactions (which the animators took the time to animate).
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    Most of what you guys are talking about (cups cakes, dancing, ect) is more about animations then coding. At least for time and resource crunching.

Yes obviously coding is needed to do those things and dancing is more a path finding issue however bad path finding is just messy programming by a messy coder. More time or money would not have fixed this - a better programmer would have.

If there is one thing this game did very well its animation...the coding well...its typical EA coding (too many code monkeys not enough 200K coders)

My point being most of these things you mentioned it more into the animation departments resources and on one hand I kinda get why some stuff is missing as EVERYTHING was animated from scratch where the Sims 3 re-used a lot of Sims 2 animations. So re-animating everything takes a lot of time and resources.

Where I'm going with this is, that eventually the animation departments work load decreases greatly near the gold master of the game and they usually find the time to add little animations like cuddling. The fact that they didn't tells me they probably were rushed just to get the regular animations finished (short window).

Its been clearly established that the Sims 4 was built once already as a online game then scrapped and rebuilt as what we have now...that "first' version of the game would have certainly taken time and resources away from the budget.

ITs not like were talking about Blizzard here who takes time to finish a game properly then release it despite its budget.

You mean this Sims Olympus right, i heard so too, this Sims were actually an Online Game again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2IPZDJ-pt0
  • reni344reni344 Posts: 362 Member

Yes that is true. My point is that when you are under time constraints you do not waste even seconds on non-essentials.

But how do they decide what is essential? Its not clear cut across the board what is essential for every player things that may be essential to one person may not be essential to another. I think no matter what they came out with some fans were going to be disappointed.
    We agree to disagree then. It was rushed because both adults and kids use the same dance style.
    Go back to sims2 and you will see kids a very different dancing method.

Obviously you see nothing wrong, so good luck to you, have fun.

Marcus Aurelius
    edited September 2014
    Obviously you see nothing wrong, so good luck to you, have fun.

Because I like the dancing animations, I see nothing wrong with the whole game. Really?

I do enjoy the game. I think it has serious potential. I have also spent the past two weeks debating whether or not I should have returned it when I had the chance.

I am impressed. That was quite a leap you took to get to that conclusion.
    reni344 wrote: »

But how do they decide what is essential? Its not clear cut across the board what is essential for every player things that may be essential to one person may not be essential to another. I think no matter what they came out with some fans were going to be disappointed.

You could not be more right. I see people both singing Sims 3's praises and saying that it was all wrong every day. Same for Sims 4, just with far fewer people saying they like it.

Well I was trying to be nice, so I can see what that got me

Marcus Aurelius
    Well its still feels rushed this game

Well I was trying to be nice, so I can see what that got me

I have seen people with a positive opinion of The Sims 4 be ridiculed and ganged up on. I assumed you were being facetious when you said "Good luck to you, have fun". You must admit that given the times this was a fairly safe assumption.
  • SerraTsunamiSerraTsunami Posts: 41 Member
    It's all about patience. Give people enough time to acclimate and they will settle in and see what we all already love. ^_^
    H7vJLB.png