Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's a good style for a building n00b like me?

Hey builders!

Ok so I'm feeling much more confident with building in TS4. I love trying to build - some of you may remember that I try to build cottages in TS2 & TS3. Some of you have even remodeled it!

Anyhow, perusing through the creative community I've learned many architectural style terms like Moderns, Tudors, Victorians.
Even the starters I see look like they take a lot of work.

I want to finally upload a lot - what kind of style would you recommend for a beginner to tackle first?

Comments

• DazleneDazlene Posts: 163 Member
    I say modern (not a pro builder) lol but I love the style :) happy building to u
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Well I would start with your very own home, or your dream house. My dream house, for example, is part American Colonial and Rustic which are the most easiest to design for me.
    But out of your list each would equally be a good place to start.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    Moderns can give you a lot of room to build as far as style option goes, I think anyway. They would also fit well in Oasis Springs. Plus you can make alot of neat angled rooms and such.

Have fun building, what ever style you choose! Also I just want to throw this out there, a farm like world would be great! ;) I love to build farm-country style homes. But they don't fit in the worlds the game has now.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I actually think a small, traditional home would probably be the easiest to start with. All of the new roofing/fencing/edging etc. options seem to fit really well with more traditional styles. Of course, a caveat here in that I have only built moderns so far in TS4 because it's my favorite style. ;) Not without some hair-pulling and teeth-grinding though, depending on what you're trying to do. If you keep it simple, you shouldn't have too many problems.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Sa3ana3aSa3ana3a Posts: 79 Member
    Trying to recreate a place you know by heart is the best way for a new builder to create something nice.
    Another thing that I have learned is that sims pro builders like to visit sites that contain house designs and blueprints.
  • SimGuruHydraSimGuruHydra Posts: 1,458 Member
    I've been admiring all the styles I've been seeing everyone build.

So far, since I'm one of the folks who can barely build anything more unique than a box - I'm gonna shoot for making a small modern :)

And, yup, I'll remember to keep it simple!
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    i'm a new builder too, best method that works for me is to start with small houses and when you are comfortable with your skills step it up to bigger homes and so on to reach the levels of mansions and the like. I also play the game to understand it, that means no money cheats
    mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
  • VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    Dazlene wrote: »
    I say modern (not a pro builder) lol but I love the style :) happy building to u

This, but I too am bias and <3 that style. First night of launch I just put out the preloaded rooms and built around it and it turned out pretty cute. Maybe try that? :) GL, can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • AmbsSimAmbsSim Posts: 118 Member
    Definitely starting with a style that you personally like, that you'll have the most fun creating and could see yourself, or your sims, living in, would probably be a good way to get going. I'm no expert and I'm still learning, too. I think over time, and practice, my builds have slowly been improving, and I, too, use to be guilty of making oversized, box-like buildings. :p

Looking at other people's builds is very helpful, and you can pick up new ideas of what good home layouts to use, how large to make certain rooms, and unique ways of decorating.

Have fun, and I will keep an eye out for your builds!
  • KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    For me, it's a matter of looking around my own neighborhood and seeing house styles that I particularly like. I tend to love older homes, so back in TS2 I started trying to build in that style. Fortunately, I feel like the tools in TS4 make building quite easy.

Do what you love and keep practicing - that's the key! Keep building homes you'd want to live in yourself, and others are sure to enjoy them. :)
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

Awesome tips - def a good idea to lean towards a style that interests me.

If I don't upload a lot - I'll at least start with a room!

This is great - thanks so much for the tips!
  • JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    I'm getting increasingly more interested in the garden outdoor areas. Any home looks good more or less in a nice landscape, and great houses look lost if they haven't been landscaped. So maybe just have fun with the house, see what you end up with then landscape around it in a style that suits it.
    Just thinking aloud.
  • MadScientis7MadScientis7 Posts: 135 Member
    I would say definitely start small and don't be afraid to make weird/unique angles; that at first may seem awkward but the more you play around with whatever you are creating..it has a way of taking own it's own shape. Have fun :)
    View and Download my random builds | MadHouse Renovations | View and Download my random CC Madness | ID: MadScientis7
  • aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    Build a castle, obviously. :)

I'd say, more than anything, don't be afraid to delete something, or even bulldoze everything. The most useful part of the new build mode, in my own experience, is the ability to delete whole rooms at a time. Just pick it up and throw it in the trash. It lets you try out twenty different combinations in no time before settling on the best one. The hardest part is deleting a specific part that you actually love, because it just doesn't quite work for that particular building. But you can always keep that part you love stored in the back of your mind for a future build, where it works better. I delete whole days' worth of designs sometimes, but I'd say about 40% of it shows up again somewhere in a later build.

Also, everything looks great as long as you keep it to three or less. Two windows on a specific wall segment are great; three are even better; four means they're too closely spaced or the wall is too long. One sofa is living room; two sofas are a doctor's office; three sofas are a frat house; four sofas are never ever necessary unless you're designing a furniture shop.

And I completely agree with @JBEAR1. Landscaping makes everything better.
  • Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    I think you're right in choosing modern. It seems that there are a lot of Sims 4 assets that cater to the style. And the box forms of that style will be for your stated preference of building box homes. :smile:
    5sXtTqH.png
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited September 2014
    @SimGuruHydra - The starter house, in victorian style would be nice! I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :) By the way, is the problem with the gallery solved? I never seem to find the recent uploads. Only the most favourited/ most downloaded builds show up! I only manage to find my house if I give my origin id. Not when I search with 'community', 'most recent' and 'all'.
  • lynnylynny Posts: 1,141 Member
    Dazlene wrote: »

I agree with Modern, you're just placing blocks. I love modern styles as well, nice clean lines, and appealing to every experience level. :)
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    I have always thought you are more on the Victorian/Cottage side with a pinch
    of Goth judging from the fun simmies you have shared over the years :)

But a modern starter would probably be easy. Moderns can have really simple shapes
    but still give a very strong impression. Use google and look at pictures for inspiration! :)
  • BettySwolluxBettySwollux Posts: 300 Member
    edited September 2014
    Start off simple,

Bog standard downstairs kitchen, dining space, living space, bathroom, with an upstairs bathroom and 2 bedrooms

Then look at it and let your inner creativity off its leash

For example if I look at a design like that my mind is automatically thinking about combining kitchen + diner, using the space saved to create a small study/craft room, making the bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms, etc.. possibly making space for a stairway going up to a loft

You think back yard, I think backyard with a gardening shed at the back, small areas for playing, bbq, growing things, maybe a bit set aside for whenever we get swimming pools, and so on.

So this might reflect my ideas on lots stem from space efficiency, open plan, modern style, rather than traditional/old

you get the idea :)

Interior design styles are a whole new ball game everybody has their favourite flavors
    Manssom wrote: »
    I have always thought you are more on the Victorian/Cottage side with a pinch
    of Goth judging from the fun simmies you have shared over the years :)

But a modern starter would probably be easy. Moderns can have really simple shapes
    but still give a very strong impression. Use google and look at pictures for inspiration! :)

Hehe! I do love the Victorian/goth styles! As for building something that style, I'd have to start with something a little more boxy.

Oh man interior designs - I can spend tons of time just trying to decorate a room. That def is a ball game all its own.

These are really great ideas - very inspiring! Ok so if not this week, I'm going to shoot for next week to at least share a room. If I have more time - then a little starter :)

• ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    Well, Hydra....being that you like Victorians....perhaps you could put a bug in Mr. Houts ear about conical or octagonal roofing? Cause that would make building a proper Vic much easier. Just sayin...... :):):):)
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    I agree with those that said to build something you like. I am not a modern style person. I love my Victorians. I struggle to build moderns, so for me a modern is tough. I find decorating a Victorian easier also. I love small rooms and clutter!!!

Good Luck!

Oh and I second ruthless_kk's suggestion!

kim :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    Victorian would be great! I say just dive in and have fun.
    sigg.gif

Well, Hydra....being that you like Victorians....perhaps you could put a bug in Mr. Houts ear about conical or octagonal roofing? Cause that would make building a proper Vic much easier. Just sayin...... :):):):)

I'll be sure to bug @SimGuruHouts :D