Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OPTIONS, EA! Give us OPTIONS!

Comments

• SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    When you play something goal oriented, you are only getting excited after all the goals are completed. After that you will feel bored. I have been there and done that many times. That's why I like the The Sims because it is a sandbox game.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    kirby356 wrote: »
    I've been playing this game for over a week to try and figure out how I feel about it, and as each day passes I'm just more and more annoyed with it. First off, this game is the farthest away from sandbox gameplay, than any other game in this series, for sure. I find myself sort of forced to complete these redundant objectives, in order to get a promotion, good grades, etc. Why force these objectives on a sandbox gameplay style franchise like The Sims? What makes this franchise so great is that everyone plays in their own special way. With TS4, I find that they are more limitations on what you can and can't do. Let's take weddings, as an example. There are actual goals you have to complete. Yeah, GOALS! And if we don't complete these objective goals, we don't get a good party score. This is just 🐸🐸🐸🐸, IMO. Why are we, as players, forced to do ridiculous goals like "Talk to someone while sitting down", or "Flirt while being flirty"? This defeats the whole purpose of a sandbox game. TS3 tried this with World Adventures, and many people did not like that they literally HAD to go through tombs/mazes just to get visa points. It had no place in a sandbox style game.
    You nailed the problem there for me, completely agree with you.
    I don't agree however with the link you make concerning WA, because I love that EP.
    That's because as such I like challenges/quests in a game, also in a sandbox game like Sims. The difference is that with WA I have a choice. If I feel like following assignments I send my sim to Egypt, France or China. That's my own decision. If I'm a player that loaths this aspect in a Sims game I just don't buy that EP. Or I buy it (because I love those worlds and items), travel and just ignore the assignments; my sim can have a good time over there without them.

The problem with this game is: there is no escaping. When you don't do what the game orders you to do, you had a lousy wedding-party.
    It's totally subservient what the player is feeling or thinking about this. And I very strongly agree with you there: that's not Sims.
    Well, it's not the Sims game the way I want to play it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    I don't always agree with OP's opinion of TS4 but this one I completely agree with. I like some RPG elements and goals to direct gameplay. World Adventures was one of my favorite EPs for TS3. But with TS4, I think they went too far. I gave up even having my child sims do homework because it was so hard to have them do that and complete the other goals required for better grades that there wasn't time for them to do any fun kid things. The career goals aren't AS bad but I still think that they should be optional to get promotions even faster, but that promotions should still happen when you reach the top of the performance bar.
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    LynxAQ wrote: »
    There is no point in complaining about anything in the Sims 4 - if you purchased the game, you have already told EA that you love it. That is the ONLY thing that matters. You can't purchase the game and then decide the game is rubbish/lacks options/incomplete/insert 100 other reasons and decide the game will flop/fail etc., because by buying the game you have already told EA you love what they did and support them.<br />
    <br />
    This is the reason why I and many others I am sure have not purchased the game because of the reasons stated numerous times already and I am saying this is not what I expect from a sequel. Massive steps backwards and a 32 bit application... Give it 2/3 or so expansions and stuff packs and your load times will be a lot longer than current due to the limitations of 32 bit. Then we will be flooded by posts complaining about load times, yet those same people will continue to complain in some grand delusion that EA care about their complaints and sorrows, and at the same time continue to buy DLC, expansions etc., which is the only message EA care about.<br />
    <br />
    I will stick with Sims 3, which may have problems, but nothing mods do not sort. No amount of modding will save you from the inevitable long load screens coming your way with Sims 4.

Those who purchased the game and are now bored (not on this thread, on many others) are SOL. Too late to return it for a refund, can't re-sell the disk version since it's tied to your Origin account. Hoping for content that may or may not come. I can't see TS4 selling much after its first week or two of release but I guess we don't really know, since EA is obviously afraid to release actual sales figures. But I know someone who works in a games store and she says TS4 has hardly sold any copies, even the first week.

• Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    No OP, you spelt it wrong, we need more emotions. >:)

Well with regards to what you say about interactions, this is meant to be a simulation not a pure sandbox; this isn't Minecraft. And they do need to make it a degree realistic. The way they have done it in this game was a massive improvement from how it was in The Sims 3 (the whole 'must be "extremely irresistable" to even use love interactions').
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    The goals are things you'd be doing anyway. If you don't want to do them, ignore them. You aren't forced to do anything - sounds like a sandbox to me.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    TS had pretty stringent requirements to get promoted, including having bunches of friends. That seems to be one of your main complaints about TS4, and while I don't like the friends thing, it's no different from TS2.
  • shenice93shenice93 Posts: 150 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    LynxAQ wrote: »
    There is no point in complaining about anything in the Sims 4 - if you purchased the game, you have already told EA that you love it. That is the ONLY thing that matters. You can't purchase the game and then decide the game is rubbish/lacks options/incomplete/insert 100 other reasons and decide the game will flop/fail etc., because by buying the game you have already told EA you love what they did and support them.<br />
    <br />
    This is the reason why I and many others I am sure have not purchased the game because of the reasons stated numerous times already and I am saying this is not what I expect from a sequel. Massive steps backwards and a 32 bit application... Give it 2/3 or so expansions and stuff packs and your load times will be a lot longer than current due to the limitations of 32 bit. Then we will be flooded by posts complaining about load times, yet those same people will continue to complain in some grand delusion that EA care about their complaints and sorrows, and at the same time continue to buy DLC, expansions etc., which is the only message EA care about.<br />
    <br />
    I will stick with Sims 3, which may have problems, but nothing mods do not sort. No amount of modding will save you from the inevitable long load screens coming your way with Sims 4.

Those who purchased the game and are now bored (not on this thread, on many others) are SOL. Too late to return it for a refund, can't re-sell the disk version since it's tied to your Origin account. Hoping for content that may or may not come. I can't see TS4 selling much after its first week or two of release but I guess we don't really know, since EA is obviously afraid to release actual sales figures. But I know someone who works in a games store and she says TS4 has hardly sold any copies, even the first week.

An argument can be made that all Sims base games get "boring" after awhile though. This is especially true if you binge it obsessively in the beginning. Let's say that it takes 200 hours to complete all skills, careers, aspirations and achievements that you can possibly do in the game (this is a guess that is probably waaaay to low). Of course there's going to be a lack of new things to explore if you binge 150 of those hours in the first week and a half. That's an issue ALL sims games come across at some point, which makes EP/SP/DLC such an integral part of the franchise. Every EP can easily add 40+ hours of new gameplay to the game.

This also doesn't take into account potential time for people who play the legacy challenge, play to set up stories, or build things.

I'd certainly like to see more opt out options in regards to TS4 goals system, but I don't think those goals necessarily make the game boring. It might to some people, but others most certainly find it entertaining and fun (I'm one of them to a degree).

Content will come, that is a given. The first EP may not be a Generations one, but there will be people out there who want whatever it is in their game. There will also be people who don't. The second EP might include pools, and a lot of people will be happy with that, but others won't. And that's the beauty of the franchise to me. The game is only boring if you approach it with that mindset. The game will only become boring if you only ever play the same two skills the same way every time.
    Visit my tumblr for all my custom content creations: the-stories-sims-tell.tumblr.com
  • TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    I'm not sure I really get the complaint. Sure, there are goals to complete for rewards on a lot of activities, but for the most part they can be completely ignored if you want to do something different. I have yet to try going on a date, or throwing an event, without a "bronze" level ranking happening without me even trying. Hell, I can start the event and walk away and get bronze.

There seem to be two major points in the original post: the first, about wedding goals, is what I'm talking about. What bad thing happens if you ignore those goals and have your wedding go whatever way you want to? Nothing. If you want the minor reward you get for completing the goals, well great, complete them. Otherwise, you're still married at the end of it and everyone goes home happy anyway. Any mandatory requirements are all in your head.

The second seems to be about cheats not working the way the OP would like, and I honestly don't have anything to say about that. It seems to have much little to do with having options, and more with the options that are already there working in a more convenient way. Frankly, since I've never used cheats to modify Sims' needs, I can't really answer that one.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    giphy.gif

OT: I disagree the goals can be totally ignored, and I often do ignore them. The ones I don't ignore are dates, because I can't ignore them.
  • DarthMittenzzDarthMittenzz Posts: 279 Member
    Here is an option; Come to the darkside, join me and we will stormtroop EA headquarters. We will then kidnap Will Wright and make him remake The Sims 4.

-- DarthMittenzz has spoken
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Here is an option; Come to the darkside, join me and we will stormtroop EA headquarters. We will then kidnap Will Wright and make him remake The Sims 4. <br />
    <br />

Sadly, Will Wright is too busy building Skynet and robot overlords to enslave us.
  • DarthMittenzzDarthMittenzz Posts: 279 Member
    > @Bagoas77 said:
    > DarthMittenzz wrote: »
    >
    > Here is an option; Come to the darkside, join me and we will stormtroop EA headquarters. We will then kidnap Will Wright and make him remake The Sims 4.

>

> -- DarthMittenzz has spoken
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sadly, Will Wright is too busy building Skynet and robot overlords to enslave us.

Maybe if I slice off his hand he will see that he must join me or suffer! I will propose a lightsaber duel.

• AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited September 2014
    You can't expect people to ignore rpg play and goal oriented play and than pay 70 dollars for gameplay that's embedded in the core play of the game. Point blank i never understand why people would buy into a genre that suppose to be simulation and sandbox. Knowing they would find the play boring in the first place. Why people think sims is not a pure sanbox is ridiculous you haven't played sims 1 to understand that indeed it is suppose to be pure sandbox.

Minecraft is not the topic and it's survival sandbox play. A huge difference from sandbox life simulator. This isn't a game designed for rpg play the more it's incorporated the more it takes away from the simulation part of the game. While dev's want to attest to there isn't enough time to put all in. There are certain things that should have never been done with sims that could have been spent towards advancing the simulator play and keeping the sandbox play.

Sims 3 was also a mistake to do this but to amplify it with sims 4 is why you have a large number of fans forced out of their play style. While you have fans who say they love this, just ignore the play. You can't, you simply can't ignore the rpg elements because they are in everything in the game. The way the map is, the way the sims are, the trait system, the emotion system, reward system, etc. If you understand how an rpg works than you know exactly what im talking about when I say the simulator sandbox game was stripped.
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    you-suck-ea_o_1183304.jpg
  • CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    Idk man..there are some people out there..
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    We have always had the goals and challenges - even in the Original Sims game - Sims 1 especially in Magic Town and getting all the magic coins and ingredients. So this is no different. If anything Sims 3 went a bit overboard with all the tombs and then again with Showtime, but I actually had fun with them. No where has it ever been required. Though - you can simply ignor them if you want to. But I liked getting the stuff. Although i choose to ignor the Showtime things because I don't like simporting and all that crap it was a bad system. To me i just choose to do without all the free stage stuff.

But every sim game if you do challenges you get stuff. Sims 1 Vacation had them as did Sims 2 Bon voyage. They were in Sims 1 Unleashed and almost all parties of any kind had them. It is just part of what has always been in the sims. Maybe you just never noticed or something. But my favorite ones were in Making Magic in the first Sims games - as those were all fun and got you magic stuff. I liked the mushroom game and the gravestone game a lot. In the Vacation from sims one I liked using the the medal detector and finding stuff. I also loved all the ones in Bon Voyage when the game would work for me. Finding the maps and doing all the stuff.... it was fun. Loosen up or just don't do any.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• proconprocon Posts: 92 Member
    > @kirby356 said:
    > What makes this franchise so great is that everyone plays in their own special way. Please EA, stick to sandbox, and let the players do what THEY want in their game, and stop forcing these limitations on us. More importantly, give us OPTIONS!

Exactly!

This is one of my main complaints as well. The style of game play in Sims 4 is a radical departure from the Sims franchise. EA has many other RPG games that force players into predetermined actions to meet set goals in order to progress to the next level, but the Sims games were unique in that players had almost unlimited freedom to play the game the way that appealed to their own personal preferences. It didn't matter if you were more in building grand houses or a lucrative career, whatever your playing style was, the options were endless and all the choices for individual creativity was what kept the game entertaining to a broad audience.
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    Idk man..there are some people out there..

Cray cray people :o ?
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    And look- on another thread it says after their sim died, the unlocked items returned to locked...
    - Urgh so frustrating!
  • DaisiesDayDaisiesDay Posts: 913 Member
    I have to agree with Kirby. I was hoping for more options not less. You can't choose to ignore the job or school chance popups as you could in previous versions of the game. It's just the same choices over and over especially when it comes to the school popups. The gameplay is much more scripted in this game. There are some things that I like in the Sims 4, but this is definitely not one of those things.
  • TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    So, having optional goals is less of an option than not having them? I'm so confused.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    This game is so limited, good grief.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    We have always had the goals and challenges - even in the Original Sims game - Sims 1 especially in Magic Town and getting all the magic coins and ingredients. So this is no different. If anything Sims 3 went a bit overboard with all the tombs and then again with Showtime, but I actually had fun with them. No where has it ever been required. Though - you can simply ignor them if you want to. But I liked getting the stuff. Although i choose to ignor the Showtime things because I don't like simporting and all that crap it was a bad system. To me i just choose to do without all the free stage stuff.

But every sim game if you do challenges you get stuff. Sims 1 Vacation had them as did Sims 2 Bon voyage. They were in Sims 1 Unleashed and almost all parties of any kind had them. It is just part of what has always been in the sims. Maybe you just never noticed or something. But my favorite ones were in Making Magic in the first Sims games - as those were all fun and got you magic stuff. I liked the mushroom game and the gravestone game a lot. In the Vacation from sims one I liked using the the medal detector and finding stuff. I also loved all the ones in Bon Voyage when the game would work for me. Finding the maps and doing all the stuff.... it was fun. Loosen up or just don't do any.

We have not and you fully well know that. The sims one's magic town is not goal oriented not one bit and you know better than to do that. First of all anyone knowing the game and or having it knows that magic town does not have an quests play. It has a barter system of which y ou trade or do a task in the format of a mini game to get the item. That is a mini game of which you fail or succeed of which you don't get the item. That is not linear and no that is not quest oriented. It does not say do this amount of blah blah blah to get blah blah blah. You have to beat the mini game to get the item. Barter systems are apart of simulation play point blank.

So let's clarify that now. It amazes me that someone who doesn't know about anything other than sims play want's to give feedback on play that they know nothing about. In sims 1 you shop for ingredients. you exchange coin for item that is not quest oriented rpg play. Also the magic coin there is not do this amount of quests and gain the coin as a reward. Simply put you can earn coins doing various mini game play and interactions all of which have no goal or directed play.

Simply put the idea of you do things to get things is not goal oriented play or rpg element play. If im a farmer i grow a crop to get apples that's not goal oriented play at all it's simulator play.

However if a quest pops up grow 5 apples to get this rewards system that is rpg play. Its incorporated all through sims 4 you cannot get away from it, the part that suppose to be simulator after 10 years hasn't even advanced not one bit beyond sims 2. It's the same exact play only it's becoming less and less to accommodate the second playstyle that doesn't belong, that is the rpg play.

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2014
    Anavastia wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

We have not and you fully well know that. The sims one's magic town is not goal oriented not one bit and you know better than to do that. First of all anyone knowing the game and or having it knows that magic town does not have an quests play. It has a barter system of which y ou trade or do a task in the format of a mini game to get the item. That is a mini game of which you fail or succeed of which you don't get the item. That is not linear and no that is not quest oriented. It does not say do this amount of blah blah blah to get blah blah blah. You have to beat the mini game to get the item. Barter systems are apart of simulation play point blank.

So let's clarify that now. It amazes me that someone who doesn't know about anything other than sims play want's to give feedback on play that they know nothing about. In sims 1 you shop for ingredients. you exchange coin for item that is not quest oriented rpg play. Also the magic coin there is not do this amount of quests and gain the coin as a reward. Simply put you can earn coins doing various mini game play and interactions all of which have no goal or directed play.

Simply put the idea of you do things to get things is not goal oriented play or rpg element play. If im a farmer i grow a crop to get apples that's not goal oriented play at all it's simulator play.

However if a quest pops up grow 5 apples to get this rewards system that is rpg play. Its incorporated all through sims 4 you cannot get away from it, the part that suppose to be simulator after 10 years hasn't even advanced not one bit beyond sims 2. It's the same exact play only it's becoming less and less to accommodate the second playstyle that doesn't belong, that is the rpg play.

BULL!!!!! The mini games were challenges. The barter was more than just exchanging this ingredient for that - often the shop keepers gave us challenges - I had many - like it would say a certain sim was stuck and needed help and if i could help them find their way I would get an ingredient I needed. The fairy used to have numerous challenges as well as bringing her honey in exchange for some things. The snake charmer as well as the Vampiress. The snow vacation you were told to find things lost in the snow - my sims would rent a whites medal detector and start looking. There were also challenges all through Sims 2 as well in Bon Voyage and the maps to be found etc. Sims 3 constantly had opportunities pop up to do with getting special seed among other challenges in the game.

Looks like YOU are the one that doesn't know this game. I don't know who you think you are but get off your high horse and stop looking down your nose at me and everybody else. You have one snotty attitude is all I can say.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....