Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Slight Lag or hang up issue.

It is not a super big deal but if there is a fix for it I thought I would ask. My game stops or seems to stop, hang up for a few seconds, and I was wondering if this is a glitch, maybe due to CC? I am testing it now with out any CC so I will update soon as to if that fixed the issues. While I am testing that I am wondering if the lag/hang up is a known issue?

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    It may be happening because of the auto save feature. Maybe autosave causes the game to freeze for a few seconds. What are your specs?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Autosave runs only when you enter CAS or switch lots.

The best cure for lag seems to be to run with Origin offline. You might also look at turning off background tasks that could interfere.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • BlackJillBlackJill Posts: 18 New Member
    There's an autosave? You mean I've been manually saving every five minutes for nothing?
  • mizzgreenthumbmizzgreenthumb Posts: 637 Member
    Well is it freezing? If so sometimes a lower end graphics card will cause a game to freeze up. Could be multiple issues.

Also please "saves as", for some reason just saving can make some people lose their save file and cause other issues.

What are your specs?
  • jennemm75jennemm75 Posts: 309 Member
    It may be happening because of the auto save feature. Maybe autosave causes the game to freeze for a few seconds. What are your specs?
    I have an Alienware R4 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, GeForce GTX 680 video card, 16 GB Ram 2.4 Tb of free disk space, I don't think it is my computer.

I am going to try playing offline to see if that makes a difference. And is there a way to turn off the auto save?

BlackJill wrote: »
    There's an autosave? You mean I've been manually saving every five minutes for nothing?

Definitely not for nothing! Autosave is basically an emergency backup, and not a reliable one. The most reliable thing to do, by all reports, is to use Save As regularly and don't touch "Save and Exit".
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited September 2014
    jennemm75 wrote: »
    I have an Alienware R4 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, GeForce GTX 680 video card, 16 GB Ram 2.4 Tb of free disk space, I don't think it is my computer.

I am going to try playing offline to see if that makes a difference. And is there a way to turn off the auto save?

Those are superb specs, so its more than likely not your PC. Remove your cc, and try a full clean reinstall.
  • jennemm75jennemm75 Posts: 309 Member
    Going off line removed the lag issue! :D I am thrilled! Thanks for the help everyone.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member

Definitely not for nothing! Autosave is basically an emergency backup, and not a reliable one. The most reliable thing to do, by all reports, is to use Save As regularly and don't touch "Save and Exit".
    I never use save as.. always just use save.. I think a simguru said to use the SAVE. only use the save as if you want to create a new save.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited September 2014
    jennemm75 wrote: »

Have you updated your graphics drivers?
    Also end all background tasks(that are not needed.)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• MeestorMarkMeestorMark Posts: 865 Member
    Just like the OP, I get a lag when I am online. If I go offline in Origin and disconnect my internet, I have no lag whatsoever. Whatever this pesky minor lag is, it is through Origin talking to the internet.
  • michaelolivamichaeloliva Posts: 49 Member
    My game also has the momentary freezes at regular intervals and just as others have found, playing offline solves this and gets rid of them.

I read elsewhere that the cause of this is the game going to grab a bunch of notices about who's uploading and favoriting what creations etc. I really wish it wouldn't do that. If I want to browse the gallery then fine but when I'm playing the game I'm not interested in looking for content at that moment.

I never use save as.. always just use save.. I think a simguru said to use the SAVE. only use the save as if you want to create a new save.

You ARE supposed to use " Save As", the save option is bugged, and you're essentially risking losing all your progress. I always save as, and backup my files, you'd be wise to consider the same.
  • A65wizardA65wizard Posts: 70 New Member
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > I never use save as.. always just use save.. I think a simguru said to use the SAVE. only use the save as if you want to create a new save.

That is why you use save as. By making new save files you create the ability to return to an earlier save should the current save/game becomes borked. By simply using save all the time, you simply overwrite the old files, thus removing the ability to go back in time to avoid problems, and should the save process cause corruptions, like it would in TS3, you don't have a fallback.

As TS4 is devoid of any real game play, having multiple saves to revert to may not be as big a deal as it was/is with TS3.

> @MeestorMark said:
    > Just like the OP, I get a lag when I am online.

When the game phones home like that, I wonder what other details it is sending to EA?
    having multiple saves could also cause problems.. I have never had an issue and I only use save.
    Too many saves will eventually bog down the game.
    And yes turning off online features does seem to help performance.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

A65wizard wrote: »
    That is why you use save as. By making new save files you create the ability to return to an earlier save should the current save/game becomes borked. By simply using save all the time, you simply overwrite the old files, thus removing the ability to go back in time to avoid problems, and should the save process cause corruptions, like it would in TS3, you don't have a fallback.<br />
    Actually, you do! The game keeps the previous 5 saves of each savegame - you just have to rename the files to access them.