Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Powergame or Roleplay- What do you prefer?

Powergaming in the Sims? Well, pushing to max out your cash income so you can afford and build the biggest houses in the game, regardless of your Sims actual personality (e.g. even a slob ends up with a mansion).

Roleplaying? Playing the game in a way where you only do the things that would make sense according to your sims personality. E.g. a lazy slob wouldn't be working hard every day and exercising all evening.

So which one do you prefer? Do you go for the cash and maxing out levels, or are you OK with your sim living in a shed making 10 simoleons playing his beat-up violin with a skill of 2?

Comments

• Options
    DariuDariu Posts: 3,120 Member
    I prefer roleplaying with a story
    My sim for example is a male
    he wants to become a leader in criminality.
    along his route he failed at wooing women but during the course of story he befriended young Cassandra Goth
    who visited him day..
    after day..
    after day..

eventually when she became a young adult
    he and her naturally got into a relationship
    and she moved in. to which he guided her along the path of the virtuoso whilst at the same working up the career ladder.

Now he is "The Boss" in career branch he inevitably got married to Cassandra Goth
    much to Mortimer, Bella and Alexander's dismay.

but I gues you could say he became more of a loving husband and family man than a man bent on bringing misery upon the world.
    Now they're expecting their first child.

:3

but I say its still one of the most romantic Sims story that ever happened for mine... which didnt end up in sudden tragic death..
    though.. even though he still tries to make things work with her parents..
    a part of him plots to take everything from Mortimer and Alexander and Bella. and have Cassandra be the sole heir to the Goth Fortune..
    not for his own goal and benefit. but more for his own twisted and misinterpreted love for Cassandra and for her to live at the peak of Luxury.

• Options
    TrehekTheSimTrehekTheSim Posts: 73 Member
    A combination of both.
    The Story of Jessica Eville
    Trehek on the Sims 4 Gallery:
    oqXW3pa.jpg
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    In games with a proper and interesting story I roleplay. That'd be Dragon Age and Mass Effect series.

Sims 4 is so called sandbox game. No story. In my case that means no roleplaying.
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    A combination of both.

Pretty much this - I like having a story in mind driving the Sims I play, but I also am striving for the "end-game" feel in building wealth, collecting cool things, etc.

The one caveat is I tend to avoid very "cheatish" perks like Never Weary no matter what just to keep some challenge there with time management.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    In games with a proper and interesting story I roleplay. That'd be Dragon Age and Mass Effect series.

Sims 4 is so called sandbox game. No story. In my case that means no roleplaying.

...seriously?
    THOSE TWO GAMES!?
    You.
    Need.
    to.
    try.

The Witcher (saga)
    The Last of Us
    Beyond Two Souls

PERSONA 4

SO MANY BETTER GAMES OUT THERE D:
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    This is EA subsidiary's forum that's why I mentioned those two.
    The Witcher 1&2 pwns them all. Can't wait for TW3 (already preordered!).
    The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls are IIRC console games. I despise consoles.

Please visit RPGwatch sometimes, I'm a regular member there.
  • Options
    Dariu wrote: »

...seriously?
    THOSE TWO GAMES!?
    You.
    Need.
    to.
    try.

The Witcher (saga)
    The Last of Us
    Beyond Two Souls

PERSONA 4

SO MANY BETTER GAMES OUT THERE D:

Blasphemy! While all those games are fantastic (Witcher in particular is awesome) there is NO denying how powerful and gripping Dragon Age/Mass Effect have been for people.

I'm on my 9th ME3 playthrough...no other single player game has held me in it's grip like the ME series.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I roleplay and create stories that fit the specific Sim but I always like my Sims to have good jobs or none at all but a prolific stay-at-home kind of job (painter,writer,gardener and so on). I never pick traits for them that wouldn't help me to do so. So I would say that is a combination of both?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ME could have been the best saga ever existed...
    If they didn't make a huge plothole ending and if Citadel DLC was made postgame material (epilogue), and not premassacre.

Aditionally, EA's business with ME series can only enrage fans. Lorewise highly important character was cut out from the base game and made as DLC (prothean) and Bioware Points never go on sale. War assets from DLC are de facto pay2win material as you get "the best" ending without yucky multiplayer if you have all DLC plus you get most of the Citadel DLC if you have all previous DLC.

That aside, I've replayed all three recently, this time as tanky sentinel. :)

@AlbaWaterhouse, yup, that's a combination!
  • Options
    ME could have been the best saga ever existed...
    If they didn't make a huge plothole ending and if Citadel DLC was made postgame material (epilogue), and not premassacre.

Aditionally, EA's business with ME series can only enrage fans. Lorewise highly important character was cut out from the base game and made as DLC (prothean) and Bioware Points never go on sale. War assets from DLC are de facto pay2win material as you get "the best" ending without yucky multiplayer if you have all DLC plus you get most of the Citadel DLC if you have all previous DLC.

@AlbaWaterhouse, yup, that's a combination!

MP is not needed at all and hasn't been for years now to achieve best endings. It was actually a bug initially and they fixed it as well as added more via DLCs to boost your score higher so you never had to touch MP.

Won't disagree on the whole ending hoopla but the EC satisfied me for the most part, even if I also agree about how they handled Javik.

Still didn't take away from the immense epic that the 3 games together formed, especially once Citadel dropped and I could play that right before the final mission as a sweet moment before choosing whichever headcanon ending I wanted.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    I read all the Novels for The Witcher
    and I love The Witcher
    and since the 3rd is the last.. hopefully they make a befitting end to the legend of Geralt of Rivia.
  • Options
    and I love The Witcher
    and since the 3rd is the last.. hopefully they make a befitting end to the legend of Geralt of Rivia.

Amen. Witcher is fantastic and I give CD Projekt Red so much love. I can't wait for their Cyperpunk game after Witcher 3.

Admittedly, as much as I love Witcher, my biggest complaint about the series is the combat xD
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'll instantly buy ME4. But I just love RPGs, so that's not odd.
    Many that were disappointed, won't buy it till they read a review or something.

Luckily for us, the audience, CDprojekt jumped into scifi RPG wagon. And are preparing Cyberpunk game.
    And EA gets a proper competition, they'll have to stop messing around.

Sadly Sims series still don't have a competition otherwise they'd give us a better game, not slightly improved Sims Freeplay pay2win phonegame.
  • Options
    AliciniaAlicinia Posts: 42 New Member
    I like playing both - usually at the same time.
  • Options
    Crackseed wrote: »
    and I love The Witcher

Amen. Witcher is fantastic and I give CD Projekt Red so much love. I can't wait for their Cyperpunk game after Witcher 3.

Admittedly, as much as I love Witcher, my biggest complaint about the series is the combat xD

yes xD
    well i see that the witcher 3's combat is improved from the images
  • Options
    mizzgreenthumbmizzgreenthumb Posts: 637 Member
    I guess it depends, maybe both at times, but I usually roleplay.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    So far the kinds of games I've been known to play a lot:
    -RPG (Bioware stuff, Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Baldur's Gate)
    -Sims
    -Point + Click Adventures (Monkey Island/Walking Dead/Deponia etc)
    -Elder Scrolls

I probably lean more towards story than gameplay. But I don't necessarily like games that have tedious gameplay.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    So far the kinds of games I've been known to play a lot:
    -RPG (Bioware stuff, Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Baldur's Gate)
    -Sims
    -Point + Click Adventures (Monkey Island/Walking Dead/Deponia etc)
    -Elder Scrolls

I probably lean more towards story than gameplay. But I don't necessarily like games that have tedious gameplay.

When Minsc leads, SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Sims, too much more to mention now....
    But overall both yes
  • Options
    FluroFluro Posts: 17 New Member
    > @JoxerTM22 said:
    > In games with a proper and interesting story I roleplay. That'd be Dragon Age and Mass Effect series.
    >
    > Sims 4 is so called sandbox game. No story. In my case that means no roleplaying.

I feel the same. I've never been able to get into the roleplaying side of it. I've been a powergamer since the first game. I do try to pick appropriate jobs at the beginning and justify the way I play to give a reason why my sim would do such a thing, but I just can't focus on a real storyline.
  • Options
    RedFoxFourRedFoxFour Posts: 16 New Member
    Personally I want to roleplay my Sims. I like the idea of my Painter sim not bothering with computers and rather enjoying the outdoors and gazing at art at the museum.

I want my hobo-sim to only own a guitar and a shed with no running water and make do with the 10 simoleons you get for playing the guitar.

But game throws 20k in my face and kinda forces you to keep buying things.

Overall though, I have more fun roleplaying my sims than I do min/maxing skills and stuff to unlock everything and build a huge castle.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    It depends on my mood, and sometimes my roleplays turn into power games...."Mommy read me a story" says sim child "Can't this unknown force is making me go jog before work." says sim mom. "Daddy will you make me dinner I'm tired of cereal." says sim child "Can't I'm stuck frozen until the hidden force changes my outfits." says sim dad......lol
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I like to play generations, My sims do not work at a job or career. I like them having fun. I like to just play and have them marry and move on with the next generation. I do not follow any rules, just my own. I am trying not to cheat with money this time around. In fact when I am only on my first generation sims, so when they die, the girl will loose the house and have to start from scratch. I am not sure yet how much she will have. I will let her have I guess how much her husband brings in the marriage. then they will go from there.
  • Options
    PlyrKttyKtKrnchPlyrKttyKtKrnch Posts: 61 Member
    Both, probably more powerplay. I'm such a boring simmer I always do the same thing and follow the same formula never really create drama just let whatever happens happen, but I do control sims based on their personality like I wouldn't make a couch potato join the athletic career etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on