Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pools?

Hey, kind of a silly question, but I figured it was worth sitting down and figuring out. Would it be possible to actually make pools? I've been trying to think about it since so many people have been complaining about no pools.

All I can think is that you could clone a bathtub and make a new, simple mesh so that it was square and started at ground level. This way you'd only be able to make a certain size of pool, and ladders would probably just be decoration, but it's worth a thought. The sim would of course end up not swimming in the pool, but bathing in it... it'd be nice for decor, though. Would making the mesh go below ground make it so that it doesn't show up, or would it pull the ground down with it?

The pool wouldn't be full until the sim got in to bathe in it, but maybe there'd be a small bit of code we could edit so that it always had the appearance of a filled tub/pool.

Questions, questions from a newbie object maker. But if this would work in theory, I'd be dying to try it!
Ornery weirdo. My Origin ID is Jongarakun.
xyIcMqt.png

Comments

• MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    The fountains thing already looks like a pool, if you're just using it for decoration.

I suppose ladders and diving boards could be added as decoration?

Personally, I'll just wait for whichever expansion adds them back in. I always hated pools anyway. XD
  • JongarakunJongarakun Posts: 1,265 Member
    Aw man, you're right. I 100% forgot about fountains. ='[

Nah, I'm the kind of person who likes to sit around and just think about possibilities. Never used pools, but... the idea of coming up with a substitute is fun for me. X] Ah well, at least the ladder and diving board meshing will keep me somewhat occupied.
    Ornery weirdo. My Origin ID is Jongarakun.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    I pretty much have added some form or pool to nearly all of my sims3 houses, more because I enjoy designing them and like what they add to a yard vs wanting the sim to actually have one or use it. haha.
    I was looking at the fountain in game for a few minutes and kept thinking it would at least be amusing to watch a sim walk into it and splash around or something, the animations for that kind of thing could be pretty amusing.
    I can wait, I'm an impatient person but I'll survive.

Though... I will be curious to see what folks come up with ;)
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Alpal425Alpal425 Posts: 198 Member
    Personally I think that everybody who complained about the pools and toddlers, are just plain stupid. Like really, how often did you use a pool in TS3? And what about TS3 toddlers? They were annoying to care for.
    thedoctor.gif
  • PephredoPephredo Posts: 14 New Member
    I agree on the toddlers part. That's why I always hired a babysitter and ignored the toddler. lol!

But the pools were useful for upping a Sims athletics without the extra hygiene decay, as I recall. And pool parties were fun. You can't really have a "fountain party" in Sims 4. :p
  • OnewithwingsOnewithwings Posts: 56 Member
    Haha I always felt like I had to add a pool, then I never let my Sims swim because I wanted them to do other stuff. They're pretty, but also kind of annoying. I have the same kind of distaste for coffee makers in the Sim world. No! Do NOT drink that coffee! Go the **** to SLEEP!
  • DJDeereDJDeere Posts: 3 New Member
    the main reason I played any of the Sims was to be able to build. I do enjoy designing pools and adding them to my houses. and it seems when I put myself in the game to test the houses Fantasy2u Deere always had a pool party or something around the pool. after spending almost $80.00 on this game I feel like I have been thrust back into the dark ages. and expansion packs will be how much this time around $40.00?
  • EndlessSims3EndlessSims3 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Alpal425 wrote: »
    Personally I think that everybody who complained about the pools and toddlers, are just plain stupid. Like really, how often did you use a pool in TS3? And what about TS3 toddlers? They were annoying to care for.

so true I really never let my sims have children period very few cause it is too much to play with I am so busy building lots and creating Sims that not enough time to have those babies lol.
  • JLynn22JLynn22 Posts: 88 Member
    im only miffed about this because now im forced to *actually* landscape. i used pools as a copout. put down a nice sized pool and decorate/landscape around it just because im so bad at it.
    ive already thought to use fountains as a sub for now w/o fountains because i just cannot for the life of me landscape. arghh
    lookit my lousy sig
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited September 2014
    The difficulty with adding pools via mod is not just the Build aspect... it's the scripting/gameplay modding, and especially the animations, needed to make sims actually USE them.

Like toddlers... not impossible, just probably way too much work for your average modder or even mod team. Animation in particular is super time-consuming... more so if you want GOOD animations. As for the gameplay aspect, need to drive sims to the pool (or out of it)... in order to feel like part of the game, swimming has to tie in (at least) with whims, skill effects, moodlets, and needs, maybe even aspirations and career goals. Even harder now that we have to handle multitasking... what other interactions can sims do with other sims while swimming? with sims outside the pool? with objects, including things like cellphones and stuff in their inventory? And then there's routing and pathfinding while swimming...

Lot of work to sort all that out... far as I'm concerned, that's what we pay the devs for ;)
  • CMWarrenCMWarren Posts: 1,092 Member
    the fountains sit above the ground as an object. pools in TS2 and TS3 were different, because there was a way to cut into the ground to create a hole for the pool/fountain to go into. the engine does not currently allow for you to cut into the ground like that to create a hole in the world for the pool to go into. This is in part because unlike previous games, it should be noted that the world is more of an object, or a series of objects that fit together. The previous two sims games, the world itself was not an object, but a rendering of differening elevation points upon which a skin was created that was the landscape itself, which was then painted, and had objects that sit upon it. there is a reason all lots are flat, and there are not terrain tools for creating variations in the heights of the land on a lot, because the terrain is not simply a skin anymore.

they will have to find a way, probably, to first cut the lots free of the world, and replace it with a sims2 or sims3 style ground skin within the boundaries of the lot itself, making sure the skin fits perfectly with the edge of the lot, where it interacts with the world objects itself.

if they can do that, then it should be very easy to make pools a possability again. of course, a consolation prize could be in the next expansion pack, they add above ground pools in a few styles. that might give them more time.

of course, please note that my view of the world as an object/series of objects is rooted in its simularity to other games, and the fact that this approach, while creating some limitations, hopefully temporary, creates the ability for sims to live in a world of such vibrant detail and complexity, that it is beyond anything we have seen from the main sims franchise for personal computer systems.
  • lboosmommylboosmommy Posts: 42 Member
    Alpal425 wrote: »

Oh thank goodness. I thought I was the only one not really upset about this.
  • JordwalJordwal Posts: 50 Member
    @lboosmommy I won't miss either. Pools at least looked nice but imagine if your Sim has an angry pee in it. And toddlers? Sims 3 toddlers are just noisy and messy. Not really how they are in real life where they have more characteristics than noisiness and messiness.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    Oh I'm sure we will get pools and basements back, that's all good EP stuff. As for toddlers, well I just age them out of it - it's a hassle.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • EruonenEruonen Posts: 13 New Member
    Interestingly, there's a pools directory where TS4 object scripts are stored. It's empty, but it seems like they're keeping their options open.
  • Anzi130Anzi130 Posts: 140 Member
    Great news that it's a possibility. Seems like theyre thinking of adding pools later on, if they made such a folder ;)
    Origin Account-Name: Anzi120
    Or they considered adding them early on. Anything is possible and it's probably wise not to read too much into it. One can certainly hope, though!
  • lboosmommylboosmommy Posts: 42 Member
    I believe I read that they had intended on pools and toddlers, but needed to spend the development time on other things so they weren't ready yet and so were not included in the base game. To me, this says they will almost definitely be included some day.
  • TwistedMexicanTwistedMexican Posts: 652 Member
    Eruonen wrote: »
    Or they considered adding them early on. Anything is possible and it's probably wise not to read too much into it. One can certainly hope, though!

I can tell you as far as the actual game code goes, there's zero mention of pools. So if they did have them working at some point, all traces of that are gone.

[Sims 4 Cheat Resource] || [My Mods - Base Game] || [My Mods - Expansions]
    [Lifetime Skills || Set Age || Full House ||Persistent FullEditMode || Persistent TestingCheats || DayWalker Vampires]

I'm now on Twitter. I'd love it if you joined me there :)
  • ChubbyKatzeChubbyKatze Posts: 564 Member
    I thought pools were supposed to be patched in at some point, having been taken out for a pretty good reason. I haven't found anything about this though, is it true? Personally I don't care about pools as I would place them then very quickly, forget about them. I miss hot tubs way more than pools. What really irks me, and I haven't seen many people talking about it: No Woo-hoo in the shower, what the what?!
    9048olM.gif

I mean, that was a huge thing of mine. For all of my Sim games! You get Hygiene, Fun AND Social all in one go and then you go to work bright, shiny and happy! I haven't even found a reason for it. Unless this works in everyone else's game but my own and I just have some off the wall bug I am not aware of. I almost feel betrayed by this!
    hrm7PVH.gif

I dunno or care about pools and toddlers and patches and mods. Gimme my shower steam back! <3

> @TwistedMexican said:
    > I can tell you as far as the actual game code goes, there's zero mention of pools. So if they did have them working at some point, all traces of that are gone.
    I noticed that too. It's just that one empty directory. Hence the "it's probably wise not to read too much into it".
  • TomiLeighTomiLeigh Posts: 10 New Member
    I'm willing to bet that pools will have an entire EP to itself.
  • TomiLeighTomiLeigh Posts: 10 New Member
    edited September 2014
    > @ChubbyKatze said:
    > I thought pools were supposed to be patched in at some point, having been taken out for a pretty good reason. I haven't found anything about this though, is it true? Personally I don't care about pools as I would place them then very quickly, forget about them. I miss hot tubs way more than pools. What really irks me, and I haven't seen many people talking about it: No Woo-hoo in the shower, what the what?!
    >
    >
    > I mean, that was a huge thing of mine. For all of my Sim games! You get Hygiene, Fun AND Social all in one go and then you go to work bright, shiny and happy! I haven't even found a reason for it. Unless this works in everyone else's game but my own and I just have some off the wall bug I am not aware of. I almost feel betrayed by this!
    >
    >
    > I dunno or care about pools and toddlers and patches and mods. Gimme my shower steam back! <3
    <

Right??? There's no spice in TS4 yet. You can't woohoo anywhere other than a bed...the plum?
  • willow_geekwillow_geek Posts: 12 New Member
    We still have a long way to go. We have 10 expansion packs (if it goes the way it's been going since sims 2), tons of free content via patches, and raw player creativity. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of pools but also don't get your hopes up until if/when they confirm them.
  • ChubbyKatzeChubbyKatze Posts: 564 Member
    @TomiLeigh Sorry if I am missing something, but what is the point of just quoting what I said? I'm not trying to sound rude, sorry if I do I am just curious if you meant to write something after the quote.