Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Octagonal Rooms & Roofing

rdyornot77rdyornot77 Posts: 13 New Member
I see how to place octagonal rooms - but how do you make a roof that fits them?

Comments

• Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Think you have to make multiple roofs on top of each other. I've seen some vids where you can overlap roofs to give them different shapes. Try that.
    5sXtTqH.png
  • rdyornot77rdyornot77 Posts: 13 New Member
    Well, I couldn't get it to work on an octagon with 2squares per side. So I redesigned the house, but now I the roof won't sit on the walls, there's a small gap. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
  • Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    I played around with this only for a couple of minutes last night when I got off of work. I know what you mean. I will continue to work on this and see if we can't find a solution this weekend if I have time. I plan on some houses with octagonal roofs so hopefully we can figure it out!
    5sXtTqH.png
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited September 2014
    I know what you mean about the small gap thing...I am not loving it. It is especially evident with the hipped roof because the eaves stop short of the edges of the wall. I think that gap is to allow a place for the roof edging....

2e3d2029-169a-4aa2-8639-affcf6136619.png

It kind of makes it look like the roof is hovering. Or is that not the gap you were talking about?
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    Plus, if you scratch/delete a section of the octagonal room to make part of it square, the corner floor and roof tiles where the diagonal used to be, go funny where it won't let you cover it with floor tiles and so there is sunlight pouring through two triangles at those new square corners and then the wall paint goes funny too, when you cover it with wall paint with the shift key the paint continues onto weird unplanned parts of the house.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • guineagirl1971guineagirl1971 Posts: 3 New Member
    I am trying to build a bandstand for my park and need an octagon roof. I have tried several types of roof and nothing works. Thank for making me feel less alone
  • AsanteAsante Posts: 1,812 Member
    edited September 2014
    Well, you can't get your roof properly octagonal?
    How about getting creative? ;)

0ApgBW.png
  • pchapmanpchapman Posts: 260 Member
    Asante wrote: »
    Well, you can't get your roof properly octagonal?
    How about getting creative? ;)

That definitely is being creative. I wonder why they took out the round roofs.
    Origin ID for Sims 4: patti2297
    Follow me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/27640240@N08/

No clue... now that they've finally added some other "roundish" things, the roofs go poof? Well, whatever issue's behind it, I hope they'll fix it...
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    edited September 2014
    I know what you mean about the small gap thing...I am not loving it. It is especially evident with the hipped roof because the eaves stop short of the edges of the wall. I think that gap is to allow a place for the roof edging....

2e3d2029-169a-4aa2-8639-affcf6136619.png

It kind of makes it look like the roof is hovering. Or is that not the gap you were talking about?

You can however, add a floor first (without the walls), and then the roof, so you can use trims around.
  • rdyornot77rdyornot77 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited September 2014
    > @ruthless_kk said:
    > I know what you mean about the small gap thing...I am not loving it. It is especially evident with the hipped roof because the eaves stop short of the edges of the wall. I think that gap is to allow a place for the roof edging....
    >
    >
    >
    > It kind of makes it look like the roof is hovering. Or is that not the gap you were talking about?

@Ruth That is the gap I'm talking about, but when you add edging, the gap remains.

@Asante That's very well done!
  • shandieselshandiesel Posts: 4 New Member
    @Asante that roof is great! any chance you can post steps on how to accomplish this roof? I am having troubles recreating it!
  • Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    yes a step by step thing would be nice for octagonal rooms.
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
    edited September 2014
    Oh... sorry for not answering earlier, didn't notice.
    Well it's actually easy. Hipped roof from one side to the opposite, do that until all sides are covered, and one in the middle...
    Looks more complicated than it actually is :)
    how do you get it to fit to the odd diagonal sides?
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
    how do you get it to fit to the odd diagonal sides?

Switch to the diagonal one? (You know the "other" hipped roof in the selection...)

oh. got it now. thanks!
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • shandieselshandiesel Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks very much!
  • gd2747gd2747 Posts: 3 New Member
    If you use a normal roof as you would for a regular room, you can fill in the triangular spaces with the diagonal roof.
  • chips46chips46 Posts: 3,666 Member
    I'm not good explaining on how you do the octagon roof I do have one build if you want to check it out if thats how you want that look but ignore the open roof
    Gallery Link:https://www.thesims.com/en_AU/gallery/0FD12A24B29411E687C99CD6B750A453?category=all&searchtype=item_name&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=bayview&max=50&maxis=false
    2q2e7g3.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    The octogonal roofing on the home looks great! @chips46 :) It will be great for simmers to download the home and look to see how you did the roofing.
  • lotlot80lotlot80 Posts: 758 Member
    @chips46 Thanks! Maybe now I can build more than a box.

♥♥---->>> Please Leave A Comment On My NEW Builds Thread !! --- I'd Really Appreciate It. <<<----♥♥