Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Having trouble making THIS roof type.

AlanKenzoAlanKenzo Posts: 16 Member
edited September 2014 in The Sims 4 Lots
So I finally started building and I came upon this roof that's in the game but I cant, for the life of me, recreate it what so ever. Thank you in advance for the help.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/darklarva/The%20Sims/TS42014-09-1308-02-51-51_zps1efd3d38.png

Comments

• KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    Looks like you're trying to build a mansard roof. I've had trouble with it, too. Seems you've got a good start there, though. You should be able to add a hipped roof to that open top, and then use the height tool to pull it all the way flat. Alternatively, you can use a tile pattern on the rooftop.

I hope that helps. I'm not sure specifically what you're having trouble with.
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• AsanteAsante Posts: 1,812 Member
    Ok... I'm not very familiar with the english names of the roofs, so I have to improvise this with explanations and hope you'll get it ;)
    It's the roof type with the sloped triangular part and the "open" one on the other side. It's the fourth tool on the left.
    You have to place it so the "open" side of it is faced towards the inside (the "roomy" middle). Then all you have to do is drag the sides to the border of your house (so the sloped triangular part is stretched apart), shorten the "lengthy" part that leads to the "open" end, and do the same on all sides. It's a little tricky sometimes to get them all symmetric, but you'll get it ;)
    I sort of hope that was remotely understandable... *laughs*
  • AlanKenzoAlanKenzo Posts: 16 Member
    > @KaylyRed said:
    > Looks like you're trying to build a mansard roof. I've had trouble with it, too. Seems you've got a good start there, though. You should be able to add a hipped roof to that open top, and then use the height tool to pull it all the way flat. Alternatively, you can use a tile pattern on the rooftop.
    >
    > I hope that helps. I'm not sure specifically what you're having trouble with.

That's the thing, I didn't build it. I'm wondering how to build one
    > @Asante said:
    > Ok... I'm not very familiar with the english names of the roofs, so I have to improvise this with explanations and hope you'll get it ;)
    > It's the roof type with the sloped triangular part and the "open" one on the other side. It's the fourth tool on the left.
    > You have to place it so the "open" side of it is faced towards the inside (the "roomy" middle). Then all you have to do is drag the sides to the border of your house (so the sloped triangular part is stretched apart), shorten the "lengthy" part that leads to the "open" end, and do the same on all sides. It's a little tricky sometimes to get them all symmetric, but you'll get it ;)
    > I sort of hope that was remotely understandable... *laughs*

Ahhhhhh!!!! ok, I get it, For some odd reason though it sometimes stays pointed when I don't want it to, that's what got me so frustrated and confused.
  • AsanteAsante Posts: 1,812 Member
    Haha yeah... I got my hours of roofy frustration as well so far. It's a nightmare... I mean I technically understand the system but if your house has odd shapes roofing them nicely often turns into naked horror... *laughs*
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    I have a wip that I crated the mansard on. You do sacrifice somewhat the third floor. You can actually use it but you have to look at it from an above view as the roofing does not cut away. All you do is draw a room 2 blocks smaller than the floor below. Use the half hipped roof and draw each side of the roof individually 2 squares deep. Then raise the roofs to the height of the wall. Add a floor type to the room and there ya go.

24yzlfo.jpg

kim :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

> @kimjo313 said:
    > I have a wip that I crated the mansard on. You do sacrifice somewhat the third floor. You can actually use it but you have to look at it from an above view as the roofing does not cut away. All you do is draw a room 2 blocks smaller than the floor below. Use the half hipped roof and draw each side of the roof individually 2 squares deep. Then raise the roofs to the height of the wall. Add a floor type to the room and there ya go.
    >
    >
    >
    > kim :)
    Nice house, finally getting help with the roof solved all my building problems and I'm having more fun now, I really don't mind "sacrificing" the third floor lol anyone who's been a simmer since the first game, such as myself, has played for a long time without the third floor.