Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is a BIG deal

2...Next

Comments

• SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited September 2014
    Bear31 wrote: »
    I find it very wishy-washy IMHO......when someone says things like "EA lied to us AGAIN", I almost always cringe. In the gaming industry, there are always going to be ways of fixing things that EA or any other gaming company says is "impossible". Maybe they didn't know how.....maybe with all the other bugs that the game has in it that they are reporting on, they are swamped and maybe the fact that they didn't want them to mod the hair was because with everything they are having to do to make sure that the game is bug-free, they don't have the man-power to spare to watch these modders as they try to fiddle with it. I seem to think that each mod that they come up with has to be okayed by EA.

No matter if you agree with the above or not, bottom line is that you don't know exactly what is going on unless you are either working for the company or that the company comes out with statements as to why some of the mods we want (ie hair) isn't happening. I truly believe in hearing it from the horse's mouth because you never know what's said, what's rumored, ect......I'd rather know the truth. Thing that EA needs to work on is knowing that their public won't condemn them if they have a logical explanation for why they had said something was impossible when it wasn't, ect.

I think they are referring to the fact that EA said (in an attempt to make another selling point) that they have more support for modders than EVER before and that modding is easier in this iteration than any other and thats turning out to NOT be the case. Also, people harping in on the fact that it was "Friday" that the post was written is silly because modders have been asking for this since the release of the game which was 2 weeks ago....
    dark5id3 wrote: »
    The gurus have been away on a camping trip and will return tomorrow. This is why they haven't responded. People need to give them time.

I understand, but this thread isn't the only place where this was asked.....this was asked on release day 2 WEEKS ago...they weren't at camp then...
  • thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    PATIENCE. ***blows smoke rings*****
    EIisabetta wrote: »
    Not getting an answer immediately does not mean an issue is being ignored. People need to learn patience and a few manners.

They have been asking since launch, not just since Friday and there has been "no comment", usually that means it is not something they are going to provide....
  • dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    The gurus have been away on a camping trip and will return tomorrow. This is why they haven't responded. People need to give them time.

I understand, but this thread isn't the only place where this was asked.....this was asked on release day 2 WEEKS ago...they weren't at camp then...

The game had just come out then. They've been working on patches and such. Did one of them refuse to give the info or is it that they just haven't answered yet?

2rxu2ph.png
    Trick wrote: »
    Duruial wrote: »
    Trick wrote: »
    Huh? All I see is someone angry because they posted a thread to the forums Friday and a dev hasn't responded yet. Am I missing something? I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a big-in-all-caps deal.

Friday actually. The issue at hand here seems to be that they posted a thread on Friday, which only two posts got through on Friday, and no one has responded it for the entire weekend... So, really, it is a non-issue.

Thanks -- I noticed I was a day off and edited my original post.

Yeah, this is looking like a total freakout over nothing to me. There may be a bug, but the complaints that "EA is ignoring modders" based on a post that hasn't been answered over the weekend seem a bit ridiculous to me.

No they have been asking since launch, I don't know how many times I can say that....

I am not talking about a specific thread. This was asked via twitter, DM, and several other forms since launch TWO weeks ago.

The game had just come out then. They've been working on patches and such. Did one of them refuse to give the info or is it that they just haven't answered yet?

From what I understand they just do not want to give the information.
  • DuruialDuruial Posts: 77 Member
    Well, I did a quick search, and I could only find one other occurrence of someone asking about alpha-editable hair, on the 1st. I'm not saying that no one else has asked for it, but could you provide links to conversations on it, asked after launch? The only thing I could find on it was a post that appears to have gotten no responses at all, so it probably sunk into the background (Plus, it was asked the day before launch, on a holiday in the states).

Again, I am not doubting you, it is fully possible that my search is not robust enough, and I am not looking in the right place. However, all I can see to go on is this thread from Friday.
    Carthago delenda est
  • MBBMVADERMBBMVADER Posts: 313 Member
    Kinda hypocritical considering one of the Programming options in the game itself is "Mod *insert game name here*". LOL
    tumblr_m7r6bjtGka1rou289o1_500.gif
    Well, I did a quick search, and I could only find one other occurrence of someone asking about alpha-editable hair, on the 1st. I'm not saying that no one else has asked for it, but could you provide links to conversations on it, asked after launch? The only thing I could find on it was a post that appears to have gotten no responses at all, so it probably sunk into the background (Plus, it was asked the day before launch, on a holiday in the states).

Again, I am not doubting you, it is fully possible that my search is not robust enough, and I am not looking in the right place. However, all I can see to go on is this thread from Friday.

The first was when? Two weeks ago as I already said......that is proving my point.
  • DuruialDuruial Posts: 77 Member

The first was when? Two weeks ago as I already said......that is proving my point.

Yes, in a dead thread that no one responded to, and that was posted on a holiday, which means it is reasonable to assume it was missed by everyone.
    Carthago delenda est
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    I find it very wishy-washy IMHO......when someone says things like "EA lied to us AGAIN", I almost always cringe. In the gaming industry, there are always going to be ways of fixing things that EA or any other gaming company says is "impossible". Maybe they didn't know how.....maybe with all the other bugs that the game has in it that they are reporting on, they are swamped and maybe the fact that they didn't want them to mod the hair was because with everything they are having to do to make sure that the game is bug-free, they don't have the man-power to spare to watch these modders as they try to fiddle with it. I seem to think that each mod that they come up with has to be okayed by EA.

No matter if you agree with the above or not, bottom line is that you don't know exactly what is going on unless you are either working for the company or that the company comes out with statements as to why some of the mods we want (ie hair) isn't happening. I truly believe in hearing it from the horse's mouth because you never know what's said, what's rumored, ect......I'd rather know the truth. Thing that EA needs to work on is knowing that their public won't condemn them if they have a logical explanation for why they had said something was impossible when it wasn't, ect.

I think they are referring to the fact that EA said (in an attempt to make another selling point) that they have more support for modders than EVER before and that modding is easier in this iteration than any other and thats turning out to NOT be the case. Also, people harping in on the fact that it was "Friday" that the post was written is silly because modders have been asking for this since the release of the game which was 2 weeks ago....

Yes, BUT they haven't taken into account that there have been a lot of bugs for a lot of people.......not me of course, but for a lot of other simmers. I am sure that EA has to approve of the mods before they release them for the public. So with everything, its understandable that they haven't gotten to it yet.

• dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member

I want my CC hair as much as anybody but from what I have seen, SimGuruModder seems to be working with the modders to help them. I'm going to be a little more patient because I don't want to believe that they aren't going to help. If it turns out to be true then I am done with EA.

2rxu2ph.png

Yes, in a dead thread that no one responded to, and that was posted on a holiday, which means it is reasonable to assume it was missed by everyone.

It was also sent via twitter so it wasn't just on that ONE thread on the 1st.
    edited September 2014

Yes, BUT they haven't taken into account that there have been a lot of bugs for a lot of people.......not me of course, but for a lot of other simmers. I am sure that EA has to approve of the mods before they release them for the public. So with everything, its understandable that they haven't gotten to it yet.

Ea doesn't release mods so I'm not sure what you are talking about. They certainly don't "approve" any mods either.
  • TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member

What leads you to believe that? Have they said anything like that?
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    I think its more of a big deal to me that cc will be on the gallery to download, having issues already means i'm going to have to avoid the online sharing altogether to keep my game working. They posted that they would like people to hashtag it withh cc or no cc. Really really not good enough. But yeh, BIG deal to you, kind of frustrating for me that the stuff is allowed anywhere near the game and my game.
  • TarôTarô Posts: 52 Member
    Sometimes a "We can't do this" or "It is not possible to do this" means that they can but don't want to do it because it is not in their plans. They can't say "We can do it, but we won't". Could you imagine the number of people reclaming it done after such a declaration, knowing they acknowledged to be able to do it ? It is just a commercial way to say "Sorry, we could do it but we have to stick to our plans, and if we do this we can't guarantee it will work well"

So yes, they sometimes can when they say that they can't, but it could be that they technically can, but functionally can't.

Note that I'm not defending EA here, just saying that such a big company has probably a complexity beyond what us the users could imagine. It is simply not enough to want to do something because it is a great idea, they also need all the means required to do it.

Hope you see my point of view. Of course they could as well say they can't because they don't want to bother with something, we can't know all the hidden reasons.
  • Pvt_BoogerPvt_Booger Posts: 30 Member
    I will probably get hated but I only believe in modding when it fixes stuff. This is in the case of resolution fixes, or frame-rate fixes when they are at all possible.

I don't believe in custom content when it alters aspects of the game, because modders inevitably do a worse job than paid professionals. Some only mean well but don't have the talent, others just create awful content which doesn't fit with the game at all (look at the famous creatures mods in Oblivion or some of the really explicit stuff in Fallout 3 lol).

My take....come at me bros.
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member

Ea doesn't release mods so I'm not sure what you are talking about. They certainly don't "approve" any mods either.

Oh well, my bad, I just assumed that since they have copyrights to this game (or so I assume that games DO have copyrights), that anything that happens to the game has to be okayed by EA.
  • I_Luv_LindsayI_Luv_Lindsay Posts: 294 Member
    Omg so my sims are forever stuck with ugly hair designed by the middle aged men at maxis who have no idea of style whatsoever? :(
    I'm the queen bee
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Only way I would buy TS4

1. On sale for around $5
    2. CC. Lots of CC. And it has to be spectacular.
    3. Certain mods like a story progression mod.
    4. Easier tools to recolor stuff.

I've listed them in order of importance. With CC like that to be a struggle, I don't think I can move on to this game at all even if it has the three other points. I feel like CC would've been a redeeming aesthetic quality. Guess that's out of the picture.
  • TarôTarô Posts: 52 Member
    Pvt_Booger wrote: »
    I will probably get hated but I only believe in modding when it fixes stuff. This is in the case of resolution fixes, or frame-rate fixes when they are at all possible.

I don't believe in custom content when it alters aspects of the game, because modders inevitably do a worse job than paid professionals. Some only mean well but don't have the talent, others just create awful content which doesn't fit with the game at all (look at the famous creatures mods in Oblivion or some of the really explicit stuff in Fallout 3 lol).

My take....come at me bros.

If you take modding out of the Sims, I don't know if it would have so much success over the time. But I could be wrong
    Omg so my sims are forever stuck with ugly hair designed by the middle aged men at maxis who have no idea of style whatsoever? :(

Lol. Don't go too fast neither, they said they won't give the Alpha. Maybe they will give something else, maybe not... let's hope and wait a bit.
  • stylsimstylsim Posts: 222 Member
    I honestly hope they can fix this. I was basically addicted to custom hair is ts2 and ts3. It's really discouraging to know that creaters are having difficulty implementing them into this game.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I would like to see some new hairs.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius