Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Color Magic" Hair Recolor (Help please?!)

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere. I'm really tired, and a bit ill. I know, no excuse, but I did look around for it for an hour or so!

Okay, so I downloaded "Color Magic" & "S4PE"... I've checked out a few tutorials and I've no idea what I'm doing. I tried using the color magic tool to make the pastel purple hair a darker purple, and attempted both 'default replacement' and one by itself. The darkened purple hair color shows up next to the pastel in where the little boxes are shown when you select a hair color, but when I click it, it's the same default pastel purple color. I'm honestly not sure what to do with S4PE or if I even need it for a simple hair recolor with color magic.

Can anyone help me out here? n_n;; I don't want it done FOR me, I just want to know how to do it. Thank you!

Comments

• simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    You have to save a new package (in this case, one you plan on making a darker purple) with Color Magic and open it with s4pe and then in s4pe you find the UNKN file that shows the flat hair, right click on the "name" (where it says UNKN) and at the bottom it should say "export as dds".
    You open that file in a picture editing program, do the recolor, save (dds5) and back in s4pe right click again in the same place and click "import from dds" and select the file you just edited and saved in the image editing program.
    It'll ask you if you want to do that and you say yes.
    Hit save.
    Close s4pe and move the package into mods.

I'm thinking you selected a color in the dropdown of CM and then saved, which doesn't recolor the hair, it just changes the swatch color.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • LexiLexi Posts: 47 Member
    @simfeetunder

Thank you! You're right, I selected the color to change the swatch. xD I had a noobie moment... :P I'll give this a shot tomorrow since I'm heading to bed atm. I'm sure it'll work just fine as long as I can get it all figured out. Thanks again for your help! :)
  • trintastictrintastic Posts: 323 Member
    I also had to download a plug-in from nVidia to get Photoshop to open and save DDS files, but it works great. Thanks a ton for asking the question, Lexi, and for answering it, simfeetunder!
    > @simfeetunder said:
    > You open that file in a picture editing program, do the recolor, save (dds5)

Okay, I was following up until this point, unfortunately. I downloaded the Nvidia DDS thing for Photoshop CS3, and it works. However, when I go to save, I don't have an option to save in "dds5" or anything of the sort. Only the basic DDS file is listed as a save option. (D3D/DDS)

Not sure where to go from here. :(
  • simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    @Lexi, did you get the correct DDS plugin? 64bit x 32bit? hmm

It should have DDS in the dropdown for file type and after you tell it to save a little thing should pop up asking for which way you want it n' stuff
    HSon1Mq.png
  • trintastictrintastic Posts: 323 Member
    DXT 5 is the save option in the plugin.
    @simfeetunder, Ooookay, I got it this time! I was just a bit overwhelmed by all the options in the save menu that I figured I shouldn't tinker with any of it and it was best left default. xD I've got it now, though. :) Thank you again. I successfully changed a hair color. :D I'm so happy. n_n

Also, it was 64bit but it wasn't playing nice with CS3, so I went with 32bit and it worked just fine. :)