Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Loading Screens Make The Game Unplayable

Comments

• Options
    Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member
    Are you running the game on a DS emulator on the PC? How did you manage to get a DS game to run on a PC?
  • Options
    skyeuk05skyeuk05 Posts: 122 Member
    Hmm that's annoying but cant see why its happening - videocard drivers maybe like someone else said? Like Celiria Im running it on my laptop (which doesn't mean the required spec) and it loads really quickly
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    Okay so I made a bit of a discovery and it might explain you guy's load times. Next to the main menu button at the top right, is a notification wall. Apparently every notification you ever got, from learning a sims traits, to accomplishing goals, etc, all stack up! And when you save, it also keeps every one of the notifications. Try cleaning the notification wall out of that stuff, and see if it improves your load time because those could be contributing as each time you load it also brings those notifications with your sim.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    That's weird. I have been playing since the 2nd and I am not seeing slower load times. Maybe it's an intell thing. Sims and intells have had trouble before. It was certain intells that had a securom issue with Sims 2 as that is what I had and why I only run AMD's now. But even using the game all this time my load screens have not gone past 20 seconds. I am running a brand new Asus mobo, brand new ram 6 gigs) and older 550 ti video card also by Asus, and two brand new SSD drives. Desk top of course - tweaked professionally as hubby is a pc tech. I am not overclocked either. My processors are running at 3.2ghz.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I delete the notifications periodically while playing. I hate the popup saying it is full so I don't let it happen. That's not the problem for me. I'm going to see about deleting the caches.
  • Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    Hi Writin_Reg, <waves>

I have an Asus based system too. FX8350 CPU, 16gb ram, Radeon HD7850 2gb. No overclocking. Load screen times 20 to 24 seconds

I have noticed my Game will stutter if I make the mistake of leaving Origin signed in and connected to internet. I don't do that as a rule but in the beginning when I first started playing Sims4 and was chatting with simming friends about the new game I did.
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    LarryadLarryad Posts: 336 Member
    I don't know if this has been suggested yet or not, but have you tried doing a game repair yet?
  • Options
    XesianXesian Posts: 441 Member
    jonilla1 wrote: »
    @Xesian
    My computer takes over 25 minutes to load a Sims 3 save...

I have a update. I got it wrong. 35 min and counting. (All Expansions but no Stuff Packs)
  • Options
    randombogganrandomboggan Posts: 194 Member
    I do think it has something to do with these people's personal set ups whether it be their computer or the actual game install, because it's just not typical by any means... I run on a computer that is around four years old, and it isn't exactly for gaming, but my loading screens have never and still haven't reached past around seven seconds. I hear the most common times ranging between 10-25 seconds, but those with minute or more loads clearly have a problem more specific to them, it seems.
  • Options
    mizzgreenthumbmizzgreenthumb Posts: 637 Member
    Rinilex wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    The problem is that the longer loading times seem to be happening on all range of computers. I am at the high end and my load times have increased. It's not just specs...it's optimization. It's using the same save file for longer than a few hours. It is some corruption going on in the background. It's something other than specs.

I guess it could be, I just tend to believe its spec related myself but maybe it isn't. My game on the same save file is still running fine, the load hasn't gotten any longer that I've noticed.

A poor graphics card and low ram have a lot to do with it amongst other things. Most people here I've seen have poorer graphics cards... I will say that although EA made the game to run on older machines, the fact still remains that by older they probably meant no more than 3-5yrs. Today sadly even a 2 year old PC could be considered older if it has outdated hardware/software. As long as an older machine can support an upgrade what's wrong with doing so? I'm not one to blame someone including EA if their game don't work on my machine. A lot of people want to point fingers at the game itself, but they don't want to take a look at their PC specs. My game runs just fine, I saved up money and got a very good graphics card, 16gigs of ram, I have a 2tb HDD, and I can easily leave the game running in the background literally everyday and its still not slow. I can play the game, surf the web, watch videos, and more... If I couldn't do those things I doubt I'd pin the blame on EA, I would do the smart thing and check my specs and do an upgrade.

I know money Is tight but if someone wants to game then they need to realize that in order to do so they're going to have to meet certain spec requirements. I remember back when before I got this gaming PC I had an older gateway. Well when ts3 was out it wouldn't run good, I had to put the graphic on low and it just ran slow. The first thing I realized was hey its my PC, its not the games fault, its just that I need an upgrade. Sadly though I guess to some its an ego thing, and its easier to just point fingers...

Also people instead of saving up for a good gaming rig they want the Walmart special, hate to break it to em, but those Walmart specials are junk. A $300-400 dollar Walmart PC just ain't gonna cut it. Usually price matters, usually not always. Anyway I've found that the best PCs range from $800 and beyond. My ibuypower gaming PC was around 1k, and it was definitely worth saving up for. Then again people that want to play games and run programs needs to know their specs, and unfortunately most don't. Even if they do realize their specs are poor, they're still stuck on how it's the games fault. Its not any game or game companies fault, period. Its called save up and buy a new graphics card, add more ram,or fix the problem.

Will you just go away? You're a horrific snob and we get it already, cheap = nasty and bad, silly poor people, aren't you special because you saved up money to buy a gaming PC, etc. etc. Christ.

You know there are people who, no matter how hard they try, simply can't spread their wages to save up for a very expensive computer? And were probably hoping they wouldn't have to because of EA's supposed promise?

Calling me a horrific snob does nothing... all it does is cause trouble and it won't solve your issues one bit. I'm sorry that I was trying to help by saying it was more than likely your PC. I never said cheap = nasty and bad, and I never said I was special because I saved up to get a good gaming rig.... I will say this; My husband worked hard to provide the means just so that I could get a good gaming rig, and keep that gaming rig up to date. So yea if you want to lash out in jealousy, by all means go ahead.

Sad fact, but cheap PC's are NOT built for gaming, I never said that to be a snob but it is the truth.

And yes, EA did promise to make it run better on older machines, but sadly they can only stretch it so far. Even older PC's can have good graphics card and decent sized ram. You can usually upgrade older PC's but instead of upgrading most people trash them and buy a cheap PC that again is not meant for gaming, but instead meant for web surfing.

If EA tried to stretch the limits further then sadly the graphics would be compromised, thus more complaints about the game then there already are.

So please before you call me a snob, check your system specs.
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Asuka7794 wrote: »
    Are you running the game on a DS emulator on the PC? How did you manage to get a DS game to run on a PC?
    I wished we could play the game on a DS....
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    TarôTarô Posts: 52 Member
    Keep in mind that as someone already mentioned in this topic, the dev are actually watching closely the gallery, as they suspect it to be a reason of longer loading times if you have many things in it. If it's not your case and you have anormal loading times for you rig, then don't take this notice in consideration.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    @mwdonohue this thread is too long so i havent read everything, but if helpful many in tech are reporting game data being the culprit for slow down

-here are some options that may work- reset tray folder, simply pull to desktop top

-clear cache files, this is still being worked out which and what they do but there is this topic http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/778811/anybody-know-which-cache-to-delete/p1

-and lastly though this relates to crashing it maybe helpful nevertheless, re manged households
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/781962/random-crash-to-desktop-possible-cause-and-possible-solution/p1
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    kirby356 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It's that long for you? Mine took 30 seconds at most. Still it definitely breaks the fluidity of the game. If I wanted to go back to loading screens, I would play TS2. Glad I got a refund for this.

But the Sims 3 has the same amount of loading times (infact longer), it just isn't a screen. But fair enough.
    Lol no. For me, TS3 takes 2 minutes to load an entire OPEN WORLD. One 2 minute loading screen to have access to every single lot AND the space around it, is better than numerous 30 second loading screens going from lot to lot, with very little space around it.

Mmmm.. So with my every The Sims 3 EP and SP along with 80-90% of the store content, and a saved game going on 30 hours of play, my load screen for an open world is close to 8 minutes or so. I guess that is a long time for some... but I'd rather have a longer load screen in the beginning and get it over with than mini-load screens through out my gameplay constantly.

But that's just me~
    I have all EPs installed, a couple SP's, as well as hundreds of CC, and 6 core mods. My game has virtually no issues, besides some lag when it snows. I'm also on my 8th generation of my sim family that I've been playing with for over a year now. Lol maybe I'm just really lucky, but TS3 runs great for me. Unless I live in Isla Paradiso...that place is a NIGHTMARE!
  • Options
    JJDXBJJDXB Posts: 2 New Member
    Sims 3 loaded so much slower for me. Not just the save game, the actual game took forever to start up. And the save times were atrocious.

I'm willing to overlook the load screens if this is the payoff. TBH, it probably doesn't take much longer than having to drive across the map to get back home
  • Options
    I_Luv_LindsayI_Luv_Lindsay Posts: 294 Member
    I don't think most of you understand that the devs cannot change the length of the loading screens at this point. Its not just like something they can patch in. The length isn't a bug.
    I'm the queen bee
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    I don't think most of you understand that the devs cannot change the length of the loading screens at this point. Its not just like something they can patch in. The length isn't a bug.

No but bugs and issues slowing it down artificially can be fixed and if we can establish a baseline plus possible culprits to help them figure it out, all the better.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    -

it depends on what the problem is, like for example in sims 3 routing issues and memory mis-management are arguably some of the biggest reason for slow down
  • Options
    I_Luv_LindsayI_Luv_Lindsay Posts: 294 Member
    Its only gonna get worse from here though, expansions, dlc and cc will all slow it down a bit so those complaining are either gonna have to get used to it or stop playing. There will be a point for everybody that 2 minute loading screens will be the norm.
    I'm the queen bee
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Its only gonna get worse from here though, expansions, dlc and cc will all slow it down a bit so those complaining are either gonna have to get used to it or stop playing. There will be a point for everybody that 2 minute loading screens will be the norm.

We'll have to see - this is a newer engine. The problems of the past don't necessarily have to be repeated but unless we're all helping contribute to figuring out some issues and just accepting a "It's just how it is" policy then we've got no one to blame but ourselves for not speaking up in the end.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    mizzgreenthumbmizzgreenthumb Posts: 637 Member
    It's like fast food, everybody wants it now... I would rather have quality over quantity. So yea to me the loading screens are not really a big deal, then again the load screens are like 20 seconds or under for me when going to the neighbors.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    I ran a stopwatch while loading my game that I have played for 4 sim weeks.

Load Game - 4.39 seconds
    Load Household - 18.75 seconds

New Game
    Load Household - 5.85 seconds

Those loading times are as accurate as I could make them holding my finger over the stopwatch button. Please allow for some fudge time due to my poor reflexes.

For myself, the 18.75 second loading time does not make the game "unplayable". This game runs so much smoother, no hiccups, no stutters, no white objects because they haven't loaded yet that the loading screens just aren't an issue for me. It's not like I hop from house to house to house. Now if one's play style is to load a house, look around, load another house, look around it might be more of an issue. But generally when my sims go somewhere they stay awhile. The 18.75 seconds is way faster than a commute by car from one end of Sunset Valley to another - let's not think about Mortimer on his bicycle.

On another point. Traveling in TS3 takes time off the Sim clock. It's not just the real time wait. But hours taken out of a sim's day to get from point A to B. This is one of the main reasons I hated Bridgeport. By the time you got anywhere there was no time to do anything. Not so in TS4.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    Prettyweed870Prettyweed870 Posts: 832 Member
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    If it is any less consolation, I have an intel i7 3770k clocked at 4.5 ghz and (I got this a couple of weeks ago) a gtx 770. I also have 16 gb ram.

I think this is an Nvidia card. If it is, your system may be trying to use your integrated graphics chipset instead of your higher end graphics card.

Go into your Nvidia Control panel and make sure that is not the case. If it is, you can add the Sims 4 to your list of games and choose to use your High-performance Nvidia processor. That will force your system to use the proper card.

I had this problem and it caused lag in my game. Changed this setting and now all is good, back to 5 second load screens. Sounds like you already checked for patches so if this does not help I am out of ideas.

Sorry if this has already been posted. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    DezCorderoDezCordero Posts: 153 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It's that long for you? Mine took 30 seconds at most. Still it definitely breaks the fluidity of the game. If I wanted to go back to loading screens, I would play TS2. Glad I got a refund for this.

But the Sims 3 has the same amount of loading times (infact longer), it just isn't a screen. But fair enough.
    Lol no. For me, TS3 takes 2 minutes to load an entire OPEN WORLD. One 2 minute loading screen to have access to every single lot AND the space around it, is better than numerous 30 second loading screens going from lot to lot, with very little space around it.

No way, Ts3 has never loaded that fast for me, and my system has been above spec by a lot for years, plus I upgrade my system every year. No upgrade yet has fixed the slow load or lags and freezes. A glance through my tech support issues on the forums since 2009 is an interesting exercise in nostalgia, including the Dxdiags for my last few builds.

Ts4, on the other hand, loads the game in just a few seconds, and not much longer for lot switching or world management.

Currently running an AMD 8 core 3.5 GHz with Raedon 6780 HD card and 16 g ram. A solid system.

Dez
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    BreeSasha wrote: »
    That isn't that bad, and these load screens are not so bad. It depends on what sort of your computer you have and if you make the recommended requirements. And on top of that, it's about the same time as load screens in The Sims 2, if not faster. At least the game doesn't lag like The Sims 3 does.
    To you it may not look bad but if those loading times are increasing I can imagine what would happen once those EPs and SPs start rolling in. Lag had just not made an appearance yet and Sims 4 is still young, but long loading screen is just as bad as lag because in Sims 4 you meet a loading screen more now and loading screens lessens the immersion anyway.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen