Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening discussion thread

Comments

• KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    Supposedly dragonfruit can be made by grafting strawberries and daisies. Not sure if this is accurate, though. But if gratfing isn't working, that's not helpful anyway.
  • moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    There are three grafts that won't take, apparently for dragonfruit, pomegranates and bird of paradise.
    I've noticed my sim gets very Focused tending the garden. Does one or more of the plants do that, like roses make them Flirty?
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm so glad to be reading this thread. I've learned so much from you all! I do have a question though. My Level 10 Gardening Sim was able to graft an apple tree with pomegranate, pear, and cherry. Since then, the tree has regrown and my Sim has had the Harvest and Harvest All interactions. Yet my Sim doesn't have any cherries in her inventory. She was able to take a cutting from a cherry tree in Sylvan Glade but the trees there have yet to mature. And later, the tree died without bearing fruit again. What did I do wrong? Oh, and the tree Evolved a few times but was not yet Perfect. Thanks!
    Origin ID: nik24x7
    edited September 2014
    @Nik24X7
    Each tree/plant gets a max of 10 harvestables. If you graft 4 together, you may be missing one or more of the types in some harvests, as it has to divide those 10 randomly between the fruits/veg it can bear. Which tree died? Yours or the one in Sylvan Glade? If you take a cutting from them twice or more in one day, it can kill them.
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    I'm so glad to be reading this thread. I've learned so much from you all! I do have a question though. My Level 10 Gardening Sim was able to graft an apple tree with pomegranate, pear, and cherry. Since then, the tree has regrown and my Sim has had the Harvest and Harvest All interactions. Yet my Sim doesn't have any cherries in her inventory. She was able to take a cutting from a cherry tree in Sylvan Glade but the trees there have yet to mature. And later, the tree died without bearing fruit again. What did I do wrong? Oh, and the tree Evolved a few times but was not yet Perfect. Thanks!

You just have to leave it long enough before you harvest, you will see the cherries on the tree when its ready. Ive read somewhere that its better to graft trees onto plants as they harvest quicker, not sure if that actually works though to be honest but I made the mistake of grafting trees onto my plantain which is slow to harvest anyway

• Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited September 2014
    moongodess wrote: »
    @Nik24X7
    Each tree/plant gets a max of 10 harvestables. If you graft 4 together, you may be missing one or more of the types in some harvests, as it has to divide those 10 randomly between the fruits/veg it can bear. Which tree died? Yours or the one in Sylvan Glade? If you take a cutting from them twice or more in one day, it can kill them.
    Both the grafted tree in my Sim's yard and the cherry tree in Sylvan Glade died. I probably took too many cuttings from the one in Sylvan Glade. And thanks for answering my question. I probably took too many cuttings from the grafted tree, too.

Also, thanks for the tip about grafting trees onto plants, litabelaqua. I'll try that from now on. I might need to start with new plants as I've harvested the ones in the planter boxes many times already.

Origin ID: nik24x7
    @Nik24X7
    BTW, when you take a cutting from a grafted plant, the cutting is of the original plant (apple in your case) only. Also, don't harvest the tree/plant as soon as you see produce. Leaving it for a bit before you harvest gives it a chance to produce more.

@litabelaqua
    I grafted one of my trees (pear?) onto a plant because it wouldn't graft on the tree I wanted use (one of the bugged ones, I guess). Dunno why your plantain is so lazy - mine has fruit every day, even if the others don't.
  • SarlyssiaSarlyssia Posts: 61 Member
    moongodess wrote: »
    I've noticed my sim gets very Focused tending the garden. Does one or more of the plants do that, like roses make them Flirty?
    I noticed that too but only since i have the cowplant so I guess that could be the one.
    @Sarlyssia
    My cowplant died simweeks ago :( Maybe it's something else in the yard, like the outdoor chessboards or something.
  • tomchan0tomchan0 Posts: 952 Member
    I put all my plants in the family inventory. I wanted to start focusing on different things. I didn't want to start over, because I had evolved them numerous times already. I might pull them out and try grafting.
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    Having a hard time getting that dog gone tulip behind the Landgraab estate. Finally got the Blackberries planted. Also have a Trash Fruit plant which is also the bait for Catfish. I've managed to let two Cow Plants die. So I will save those for when my garden is all Perfect and my sim has more time to tend to it. :)

16hrj8j.jpg

Gardening is very time consuming but I'm obsessed with it. ;)
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
    edited September 2014
    I'm having trouble with the pomegranate. I've fished up a ton of cowplant berries, but no poms
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Something about gardening in TS4 that I don't like is that it feels like I have to dedicate a Sim's life to it.
    @Viaxitov
    LOL! It does feel like that at first. They get a lot faster once you have full gardening skill and the green thumb trait. My current sim has a full-time job and still has time for a garden with one of each plant (plus extra grapes and blackberries for cash).
  • klenaklena Posts: 51 Member
    I'm also having trouble fishing for pomegranate. Ive been using Magnolia Blossom Park in Willow Creek. Going to have to try Sylvan Glade hidden lot now.
    @klena
    I've gotten a ton of cowplant berries from the little pool in the back of the big park in Oasis Springs, but other people have said they've gotten pomegranates there, too, so I'm trying them both. One of my sims just maxed handiness, so I'm going to try out the other hidden area too.
    edited September 2014
    Hidden Grotto is gorgeous! I think it's prettier than Sylvan Glade, but then I don't like pink LOL
    hiddengrotto2.png

My Sim took his son fishing there and caught a pile of batfish (there are bats flying around the cave, too), but no pomegranates :(
    hiddengrotto6.png

No trees at all. Saw lilies, sage, potatoes, onions and mushrooms.
  • NikonGirlNikonGirl Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2014
    I got my poms at the pond in the park. Fish with no bait for a few hours and you should get one.
  • SimmilocksSimmilocks Posts: 87 Member
    Really enjoying this thread ! So informative.
  • silencecomplexsilencecomplex Posts: 392 Member
    Carl here. I wrote that I thought you'd get pomegranate from grafting, but realize I'm probably wrong about that. I have 3 missing plants and we know of 3 combos that don't work. You get an Orchid in the mail after completing the space rock collection via the Rocket. I can't post links yet but did update my gardening plant list with everything I know of.. Google it, I suppose. Here's hoping for a patch to let us complete this collection. I can't wait to see what the reward for finishing is. So close yet so far away.
    edited September 2014
    @NikonGirl
    I gave my husband sim the angling aspiration when he finished his first one. I've sent him fishing so many times LOL I also had him build a space ship after he retired and he's brought back two UFOs for the garden so far. Tons of cowplant berries fished up, but still no poms :(
    @silencecomplex
    Carl of the lovely informative sims site? Have that puppy bookmarked on the browser for years. I think the three missing ones must be the three grafts that won't take. Hope they get around to including that in the almost-daily patches soon!
  • OrianasSimSOrianasSimS Posts: 17 Member
    Hey everyone.
    Does anyone knows how to use the flowers you harvest??
    I can't do anything with them...
  • Loreleilee73Loreleilee73 Posts: 222 Member
    MALHOTA wrote: »
    Hey everyone. <br />
    Does anyone knows how to use the flowers you harvest?? <br />
    I can't do anything with them...

I use mine as fertiliser then sell the rest.