Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims a social/role playing game, for you?

"If accurate, Mr. Pachter’s projected figure – a significant drop from previous Sims games – could be the result of sweeping changes in the way people play games since the last Sims game arrived five years ago. Many of the women who make up the bulk of the series’ audience now play easily accessible apps on mobile devices, and which cost far less than a $60 to $80 game tethered to a PC.

“Women are playing a lot of Candy Crush Saga, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood, and hundreds of other mobile and tablet games, as well as social games on Facebook,” explained Mr. Pachter. “[The Sims] is clearly a social/role-playing game, and its addressable market has been cannibalized by other social games.”"

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/09/02/electronic-arts-the-sims-4-aims-to-prove-theres-still-a-market-for-pricey-pc-based-life-simulators/?__federated=1&__lsa=3515-fc86

Just wondering what fans might think. Did their marketing/whatever guy get it right?

Comments

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Both. :P
  • Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    Neither, for me. And I don't play Candy Crush either! *gasp*
  • Options
    evewhiranevewhiran Posts: 10 New Member
    I guess I'm an outlier then since I'm male and this is my first Sims game.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    Not in my case. I don't do Facebook, or ANY mobile or tablet games/apps. Candy Crush saga & games like it bore me to tears. As for celebs with games named after them, um...NO.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    The marketing guy got it all wrong.

Candy Crush Saga and similar games are not games but a milking scam.
    The "drop" has nothing to do with facebookscams/zyngacsams/phonescams. It's just that Sims 4 doesn't offer enough to justify the highly expensive price.
  • Options
    Sparkysim2Sparkysim2 Posts: 359 Member
    In my world more women are playing COD, Borderlands, Skyrim and such. Although COD has a hugh drop in players too, but personally it is because of the game itself starting to be more like Halo. I have been playing Castleville, but I'm sick of it and bored. When the new Borderlands comes out well who knows when I'll play anything else besides Friday and Saturday games with my COD buddies. I started out on RPGs, Sim City, Age of Empires and Arcade. I play a wide range of games.
    "If I don't remember it, it didn't happen." CM
  • Options
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    The marketing guy got it all wrong.

Candy Crush Saga and similar games are not games but a milking scam.
    The "drop" has nothing to do with facebookscams/zyngacsams/phonescams. It's just that Sims 4 doesn't offer enough to justify the highly expensive price.

Agree. At least the problem of content is fixable.
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    Nope, do not do Candy Crush or Facebook games.
  • Options
    lady8janelady8jane Posts: 350 Member
    Maaaan, whenever I hear the "women only play games on their phone and apps" thing, I want to beat them up in a brawler or kick their behinds in PvP in an MMO. I'm playing games since ... well ... forever. And I'm almost 40 now. Next games on my list: Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed.
  • Options
    lynnylynny Posts: 1,141 Member
    I can't stand mobile games, with the exception of Trivia Crack, I don't play anything on my phone. I never understood the fascination with Candy Crush, especially since you have to end up paying for it, right? I understand paying for console/computer games, but not tiny little mobile games. Maybe because my eyes are terrible and mobile staring isn't fun for me.
  • Options
    AoralysAoralys Posts: 572 Member
    Maybe it's just my opinion, but it seems to me that a lot of men don't "get" what many female gamers like, evidenced by the ridiculously insulting games made to get (young) girls into gaming that are overly simplified and entirely too pink. Are there some casual gamers that would rather while away their time on social media games and my have jumped ship from The Sims to cheap fanciful fluff made for iphones and facebook, sure, but I don't think it is a large enough portion of the Sims female (or otherwise) fanbase to warrant a concern for Sims 4 sales. If anything, the easy and cheap access to video games by gaming hubs such as Steam is a much more real threat to the expensive game release concept. For the past 15 years or so I have bought most of the games I like as new expensive releases, and only recently has a friend introduced me to the ease of buying games through Steam (or cheap bundles on other sites that support Steam). Now, instead of looking for all those new releases at $40-$60 I know I can wait only a few months and get major discounts on top name games. So I might be spending less on video games, but the games I'm buying are still fully-fleshed out content and experiences. To suggest that women are being lured away from complex expensive games by inexpensive "shinies" that offer little more than temporary distraction is, quite frankly, rather insulting.
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited September 2014
    Wat.
    I never thought of TS games as a RPG. Like, at all. It is nothing like the RPGs I am used to, for sure, and I can hardly think of any feature in a Sims game that can be considered a RPG aspect. And "social"? It has a few "social" aspects to it, but not that much.

Sims is a simulation game. That's it.

And no, I'm not bothered by the obvious sexism of that article. I know what I play and what I don't play, and that's enough for me.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    lady8jane wrote: »
    Maaaan, whenever I hear the "women only play games on their phone and apps" thing, I want to beat them up in a brawler or kick their behinds in PvP in an MMO. I'm playing games since ... well ... forever. And I'm almost 40 now. Next games on my list: Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed.

Likewise. :)
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    No, it isn't, and they've proven it with Sims Social on Facebook. Apparently a huge flop, because they took it down rather quickly. Sims Freeplay still exists, but it's awful.

I also disagree with Mr. Patcher. He needs to look around at shooters, RPGs and MMOs where a lot of women play.
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    I'm in my mid 60's and I play games like Skyrim, Witcher, Dark Souls 2, Fallout NV and Sims. I don't play phone aps games or FB games except for Candy Crush (hangs head in shame). I don't give money to Candy Crush, though.
    2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    sirenprincesssirenprincess Posts: 220 Member
    I don't play Facebook games or tablet/cell phone games or Candy Crush. I just don't see the appeal. I think the lack of sales is due to limited content available in the base game. Also, people have learned that if you just wait, you can get the base game with an EP for the same price, so I know a lot of people who are waiting.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Kittenkiss wrote: »
    lady8jane wrote: »

Likewise. :)

I saw you post that link on another thread and had to bite my tongue. I almost didn't read it after the first line because it annoyed the living crap outta me. I've been playing video games since long before The Sims was a glint in Will Wright's eyes. I remember having a separate cassette deck that you had to put cassette tapes into to load the game on my Commodore 64 (Pharoah's Curse--man I loved that game! :p ). Playing Star Trek on my friend's Atari. Spending tons of money at the local corner store to beat Dragon's Lair. XD

Do I play casual games and apps? Sure. Do I make in-app purchases? Hardly ever. Do they entice me away from playing "real" games like AC, Deus Ex, Sims, and Mass Effect? Not on your life.

Yeah, this guy didn't just get it wrong. He missed it by light years.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    MelReduxMelRedux Posts: 54 Member
    Oh shoot! I've been playin Dragon Age and Mass Effect and Skyrim. I don't know how to woman!

:|
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Mr Pachter would be wrong in my case. I don't own a cell phone, have a facebook, or twitter account, or play any other game aside from The Sims.

He's basing his findings on the group that came with the last iteration of sims (3).

• Options
    AshcarrAshcarr Posts: 383 Member
    I won't touch those casual Facebook games with the pay walls and timer locks on everything. I think it's ridiculous that people get addicted to them. The $60 price they pay for some minuscule gain gets me an entire game with no limits. I want to rage at every single person I see playing those plum things because it perpetuates the idea that we don't want quality games any more.
  • Options
    Mashimar0Mashimar0 Posts: 1,770 Member
    i paid 80 bucks to play pixel god.
    vyogg9rodtfcebiur2om.gif
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Ashcarr wrote: »
    I won't touch those casual Facebook games with the pay walls and timer locks on everything. I think it's ridiculous that people get addicted to them. The $60 price they pay for some minuscule gain gets me an entire game with no limits. I want to rage at every single person I see playing those plum things because it perpetuates the idea that we don't want quality games any more.
    I don't play any phone/tablet games that require you to pay extra to play. If I can't level up or save up for energy or whatever, I dump the game. Otherwise, I just play what I can, when I can until things unlock or I get tired of it. I actually enjoy the app version of Injustice better than the PC version because the game is too casual for me. With the app version, you just have to wait for energy to refill or use one of the hundreds of refill cards you collect over time. No real money required to play.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited September 2014
    well I'm a woman and I would rather stick a fork in my eye than play the games he mentioned. I like WoW and sims for the most part.

edit to add:
    I wouldn't call sims a social game really or even an rp game since you pretty well play alone its more like a dollhouse of sorts. I find his take to be odd.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    landverhuizerlandverhuizer Posts: 310 Member
    I been playing games from the Bioshock, Fallout, Elder Scroll series, Mass Effect type games to well, remember the old war/rule based simulators like Caesar III and so on... been playing Sims from the start and still playing it. I do fit the 40's female demographic and I haven't got a clue what those games are and still think of an Alien race from Deep Space 9 when I think of "Cardassians" because that's how I spell it :p

No, this person has it all wrong, first off there seems to be a heck of a lot of people who still dig the Sims and Sims 4 still seems to be doing well but if it isn't doing well enough, then maybe these people should start looking at the reviews that are finally coming out, what I've read seems to be pretty spot on... good game but not enough seems to have been offered to replace what was removed. On reading the forums it seems the biggies are (in no specific order): no toddlers, no pools, no CASt or even a colour wheel or enough colour choices, more loading screens than originally lead to believe, not enough things to do. Less complained about, but complained about just the same, are lack of services such as a repair or fire people, all or nothing foundations, no cars and so on. The best one so far, was the recent review that stated the worse thing about the Sims 4 was that the Sims 3 existed.
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    No.

The main reason I like The Sims is because I have a vivid imagination. I used to play with Barbie dolls , and I would act out elaborate dramas with them. I do the same thing with Sims.

I can make a all American family and twist it into something else. I can make a rich Sim living all alone in a huge mansion. I CAN SET A JUSTIN BEIBER SIM ON FIRE.

I can't stand a game never endingly telling me what to do. I can live through a tutorial , but after that, it is MY way.