Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aging Up - Cake or no cake?

I had my first infant in the Sims 4 ready to age up and received a notification that it was her birthday today. The mom made a white cake from the fridge and once completed she could choose to either add a wedding topper or candles (which is neat). After the candles were applied, there were options such as 'make a wish', 'celebrate', 'blow out candles' etc. With my aging up sim being an infant and you can't move the baby outside of the general area around the crib, I was unable to bring the infant over to blow out her candles or thought there would be a cool feature where the mom could take the infant to the cake and blow them out for her.

At any rate, my issue is that I chose to age up my infant at the crib into a child so she could then walk downstairs and blow out her birthday candles and celebrate with her sim family. I was unaware that blowing out the birthday candles would ALSO age my sim up when she literally just did age up. So my sim went from infant to teenager in a matter of seconds. I am unable to revert back though so now this new sim family addition is now older than the other children in my sim family.

I didn't know if everyone was aware of this feature or not and how there doesn't appear to be a limit restriction on how many times you can age a sim up per sim day. I guess it makes sense to have the birthday cake/age up there like we've had in previous Sims editions so that teens can turn into young adults etc. But I would have thought that if my sim literally just changed from an infant to a child, that 2 seconds later blowing out candles wouldn't age them up again. In Sims game previously, I remember being able to do what I tried to do above if the sim aged up then blew out the candles, it would only age up once. Would be great if they could put an update in place that you can only age up once per day or something to that affect.

Sorry for the long winded topic...had a lot of coffee this morning.

Comments

• Options
    SikukeSikuke Posts: 96 Member
    To prevent it happening an update as you said would be helpful. I think Sims should age up only on their birthday. And if anyone wants their Sim to age up earlier or the opposite some cheat could be in use. Not sure if there are any cheat for it or not.
  • Options
    DezCorderoDezCordero Posts: 153 Member
    That would happen in Sims3 also. You need to just let the infants age up "naturally" and then children blow out the candles. And definitely do give them birthday cakes from children up because forgotten birthdays are sad...
  • Options
    msarobixmsarobix Posts: 192 Member
    I had my first infant in the Sims 4 ready to age up and received a notification that it was her birthday today. The mom made a white cake from the fridge and once completed she could choose to either add a wedding topper or candles (which is neat). After the candles were applied, there were options such as 'make a wish', 'celebrate', 'blow out candles' etc. With my aging up sim being an infant and you can't move the baby outside of the general area around the crib, I was unable to bring the infant over to blow out her candles or thought there would be a cool feature where the mom could take the infant to the cake and blow them out for her. <br />
    <br />
    At any rate, my issue is that I chose to age up my infant at the crib into a child so she could then walk downstairs and blow out her birthday candles and celebrate with her sim family. I was unaware that blowing out the birthday candles would ALSO age my sim up when she literally just did age up. So my sim went from infant to teenager in a matter of seconds. I am unable to revert back though so now this new sim family addition is now older than the other children in my sim family. <br />
    <br />
    I didn't know if everyone was aware of this feature or not and how there doesn't appear to be a limit restriction on how many times you can age a sim up per sim day. I guess it makes sense to have the birthday cake/age up there like we've had in previous Sims editions so that teens can turn into young adults etc. But I would have thought that if my sim literally just changed from an infant to a child, that 2 seconds later blowing out candles wouldn't age them up again. In Sims game previously, I remember being able to do what I tried to do above if the sim aged up then blew out the candles, it would only age up once. Would be great if they could put an update in place that you can only age up once per day or something to that affect.<br />
    <br />

@Sabreroxy13, I had a similar situation. I wanted to age up the baby, but when I created a birthday cake and chose blow out candles the parent was aged up instead, because I didn't have the option to choose who was to blow out the candles. Then I waiting through the end of the birthday thinking that it would just naturally happen, but the birthday came and went, and the baby was still a baby. I had to force the age up process by clicking the age up option. I don't typically like to do that. I hope that this is just a bug and will be fixed.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    msarobix wrote: »
    I had my first infant in the Sims 4 ready to age up and received a notification that it was her birthday today. The mom made a white cake from the fridge and once completed she could choose to either add a wedding topper or candles (which is neat). After the candles were applied, there were options such as 'make a wish', 'celebrate', 'blow out candles' etc. With my aging up sim being an infant and you can't move the baby outside of the general area around the crib, I was unable to bring the infant over to blow out her candles or thought there would be a cool feature where the mom could take the infant to the cake and blow them out for her. <br />
    <br />
    At any rate, my issue is that I chose to age up my infant at the crib into a child so she could then walk downstairs and blow out her birthday candles and celebrate with her sim family. I was unaware that blowing out the birthday candles would ALSO age my sim up when she literally just did age up. So my sim went from infant to teenager in a matter of seconds. I am unable to revert back though so now this new sim family addition is now older than the other children in my sim family. <br />
    <br />
    I didn't know if everyone was aware of this feature or not and how there doesn't appear to be a limit restriction on how many times you can age a sim up per sim day. I guess it makes sense to have the birthday cake/age up there like we've had in previous Sims editions so that teens can turn into young adults etc. But I would have thought that if my sim literally just changed from an infant to a child, that 2 seconds later blowing out candles wouldn't age them up again. In Sims game previously, I remember being able to do what I tried to do above if the sim aged up then blew out the candles, it would only age up once. Would be great if they could put an update in place that you can only age up once per day or something to that affect.<br />
    <br />

@Sabreroxy13, I had a similar situation. I wanted to age up the baby, but when I created a birthday cake and chose blow out candles the parent was aged up instead, because I didn't have the option to choose who was to blow out the candles. Then I waiting through the end of the birthday thinking that it would just naturally happen, but the birthday came and went, and the baby was still a baby. I had to force the age up process by clicking the age up option. I don't typically like to do that. I hope that this is just a bug and will be fixed.
    FYI, baby aging works *only* from the bassinet. No cake for Baby :/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    white_lily_1988white_lily_1988 Posts: 1,664 Member
    it was always like that in sims series - cake aging your sims. For my infants - I leave them in crib and don't touch until they age up by themselves - I feel like baby stage is too short and make it longer by few more days
  • Options
    MKSaw2310MKSaw2310 Posts: 2 New Member

Kinda same with mine its two toddler sims trying to age up With my sim i made a cake but right away he took a piece i only have vampires,christmas,city life, and restaurants downloaded and the sim goes in for a bite, I've even tried to stop him but it doesn't work. Is it because he is a foodie? WHAT DO I DO ?????? i cant move on because there are not anymore parents in the home, IM STUCK!!!! :(:'(
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    MKSaw2310 wrote: »
    Kinda same with mine its two toddler sims trying to age up With my sim i made a cake but right away he took a piece i only have vampires,christmas,city life, and restaurants downloaded and the sim goes in for a bite, I've even tried to stop him but it doesn't work. Is it because he is a foodie? WHAT DO I DO ?????? i cant move on because there are not anymore parents in the home, IM STUCK!!!! :(:'(

Hello
    Other simmers are also having the same issue of their sims taking a slice.
    You may like to post feedback or press " me too " on this thread on the AHQ EA site that refers to the issue
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/COLLECTION-THREAD-Issues-with-Food/m-p/5821172#M32460

To try to stop the sim from taking a slice, cancel the cooking action as soon as the cake has been cooked, and see if that helps the issue.
    Try also going into build mode when the cake is in the oven. Place a fridge in the room if it isn't there. Then delete any counters or tables that your sim could place the cake on. Come back to live mode, and this should force the sim to put the cake in the fridge. You can then manually drag it out and place it on a table.

If you have trouble putting the birthday candles on the cake, there are a few things to try doing to see if helps.
    Move the cake to the fridge. Then manually move it out of the fridge, put it on a counter/table and see if the issues remain.
    Try putting the cake on different counters/tables/surfaces and in different positions on the surfaces and see if that helps. It can help if the cake is in the middle of the surface, not on the edge.
    Make sure that the cake is on its own on the table, with no build/buy mode items with it.
    Try cooking different varieties of cakes.
  • Options
    MKSaw2310MKSaw2310 Posts: 2 New Member
    IT WORKED!!!!! Thanks !!!!!Now to do the next one (twins) :(:)
  • Options
    OwlCimmerOwlCimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    Well you an infant cant age up or have a birthday party, but if you click on it with a teen-elder sim, press ''More Choices'' and there should be a button that says age up.
  • Options
    OwlCimmerOwlCimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    And when I am about to make a birthday cake, I ALWAYS eat before it, or else my sims will take a piece themselves haha