The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

managed to open the spec files in photoshop

@mods could you please delete the other post in general sims 4 discussions .... noob error #facepalm

so ive managed to open the spec files in photoshop . havent seen anything about anyone else doing this , edited the spec and save the dds file but wen i open the CC in game the clothes dont change …… still this is progress i guess
Screenshot2014-09-09171930_zpsd2655c93.png
Screenshot2014-09-09171835_zps93fe5007.png

Comments

• kiwisims4kiwisims4 Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2014
    Ok so it keeps corrupting my file . Any advice
  • SimGuruMeatballSimGuruMeatball Posts: 314 Member
    FYI - our spec maps are fairly complicated, a quick overview how its set up (for Characters) is as follows:

R = cube map blur control
    G = cube map strength control
    B = specular falloff
    Alpha = specular strength
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    @SimGuruMeatball Interesting! What DDS texture format are they in? DXT5 or something else?
    MyreMylar wrote: »
    @SimGuruMeatball Interesting! What DDS texture format are they in? DXT5 or something else?

We save everything as .TGA and our exporter converts it to whatever DXT compression that's necessary.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    MyreMylar wrote: »

We save everything as .TGA and our exporter converts it to whatever DXT compression that's necessary.

So I guess we need a programmer Guru to tell us what the exporter does with specular tgas. I guess you probably edit the files as separate greyscale .tgas? And then they get composed into the four channels of a single dds file in the exporter process. I've done a similar thing myself in the past.

Perhaps @Kuree or @SimGuruModSquad can shed more light on this.
    For spec files I am guessing it'll get converted to DXT5.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Maybe those are the strange RLE2 etc ones we've been seeing. And there is some other image format pretending to be DDS.
  • kiwisims4kiwisims4 Posts: 36 Member
    Great so glad there's progress . Thanks guys