Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unknown Error Occurred-REALLY NEED HELP

So i just installed Sims 3 Late Night. I was very excited to play it and couldn't wait any longer, but heart sinks as i see this "Unknown Error Occurred". I have four other expansions (Pets, Generations, Showtime and Seasons) and one stuff pack (High End Loft). I've studied on this "unknown error" for days now and nothing has happened. So I beg anyone for advice to fix this!
(I'm using a MAC by the way)

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Joseph_BJRJoseph_BJR Posts: 25 Member
    edited July 2014
    Also, I've tried uninstalling it, didn't work. And when ever i play another expansion pack, ( when Late Night is uninstalled) the other expansion works… :evil:

I also tried deleting my expansions and my custom content… didn't work….now i have no custom content…….. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited July 2014
    Are you using a disk to install with? It could very possibly be that the disk is scratched. If you registered the dish, you will be able to install it through your Origin Launcher, or you can take the disk back to the store and exchange it for one that is not damaged. I had this happen to me with a brand new disk a while back, and that was what was causing the issue for me.
    edited July 2014
    its not scratched. I have downloaded it from Origin and it doesn't work too!
    edited July 2014
    does anyone know what to do? I really wanna play Late Night but its being a b****!
    edited July 2014
    And is helpful to note that i havent updated it to the latest patch yet?
    edited July 2014
    Can someone please help? I don't want to sound annoying-or a try had, but i really want help so i can play! :(
  • TractzTractz Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2014
    Try updating your patch to see if that's the problem. I have the same expansion and stuff packs you have and more and mine works fine
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I will! Thanks!
    edited July 2014
    i can't even update my game….
  • RedDestiny9RedDestiny9 Posts: 202 New Member
    edited July 2014
    you may have to look up how to de-frag your computer, sometimes the game glitches and makes duplicate files that interfere with install. That will, simply put, remove unnecessary trash, if that doesn't work you need to de-frag again and get a new copy of the game.
  • JustheresimplyJustheresimply Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello everyone,

I tried a lot of tricks from other forums and nothing would work but i figured out a rather lengthy solution that worked for me perfectly. This will involve re-installing the game but will mostly ensure that you will not lose saved content (I didn't lose anything). This was what I did on my Mac that runs OSX.

Here are the steps:

Stage 1: Backup the files
    1. Go to Finder>Applications and drag and drop the Sims 3 application to an external HD.
    2. Go to Documents>Electronic Arts. Save the Sims 3 folder to an external HD.
    3. Now delete the Sims 3 application from your applications folder
    4. Also delete the Electronic Arts from the Documents folder
    5. Empty your trash of both the above files

Stage 2: Remove all traces of previous installation
    1. Next, select Finder and on the top menu bar click on the "Go" drop down menu. As it appears press and hold the "alt" key and (like magic :P) the Library icon appears.
    2. Open Library>Preferences. From this folder, delete the Sims 3 Preferences and all .com files (these appear as files with no icon images) that have the names "transgaming".

Stage 3: Reinstalling
    1. Drag and drop the Sims 3 application from the external hd back to the applications folder (this could take a while if you have loads of extensions). Wait until it gets copied completely before the next step.
    2. Go to Documents>Electronic Arts and delete the Sims 3 folder you see there and empty it from the trash
    3. Now copy the Sims 3 folder from your external hd to the Electronic Arts folder.

Phew. Writing this was exhausting. But it worked for me! So all the best to all frustrated Mac Sims 3 gamers :)
  • Yaya10Yaya10 Posts: 7 New Member
    JustheresimplyJustheresimply Will it destroy my Sims 4