Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 = Epic Fail

Comments

• mr014mr014 Posts: 1,648 Member
    edited September 2014
    mr014 wrote: »
    So much negativity :( By which I don't mean the negativity about the game itself, but rather the general negative atmosphere present in this discussion at this point.

Many people wrongly view this game as an expansion of The Sims 3, which it isn't and shouldn't be. It shouldn't contain all the same features as the franchise's previous iteration. It's a new, different game.

That said, however, I'm quite disappointed myself about all the features that have been left out of the new game, and hope the majority of them will eventually find their way back to us in one form or another.

I would like to add to this that despite all that is 'missing' from it, I think The Sims 4 is a great and very enjoyable game in its own right, which doesn't take away my disappointment about the exclusion of CASt, pools, basements, toddlers, and some other things I really liked about the previous game(s), though mind you.

But as I said I can accept that the new game is not supposed to be an expansion of The Sims 3, but a new and different game altogether, with its own concepts, ideas, focus areas, etc. The game is great for what it is, and I enjoy it very much so.
    Post edited by mr014 on
  • TessiexxTessiexx Posts: 199 Member
    I thought we could all express our feelings freely without the backlash - just because our opinion might be negative. All I seem to see is people saying what they dislike about The Sims 4 and then people biting at them; "How dare you not like it?" Idk.. seems abit of an oxymoron to me at times.

I haven't posted yet about The Sims 4, whilst I think the graphics look really nice I find the gameplay kinda lackluster. I'm hoping the expansions will bring in more exciting gameplay. The Sims 3 base game was pretty dull for me too. I am already a lil bit bored of The Sims 4, my simmies need more to do.

All I would want to rant about is the loss of the colour wheel, I dislike that! I wish they could bring that back somehow.
    bbQgD.gif
  • CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Tessiexx wrote: »
    I thought we could all express our feelings freely without the backlash - just because our opinion might be negative. All I seem to see is people saying what they dislike about The Sims 4 and then people biting at them; "How dare you not like it?" Idk.. seems abit of an oxymoron to me at times.<br />
    <br />
    I haven't posted yet about The Sims 4, whilst I think the graphics look really nice I find the gameplay kinda lackluster. I'm hoping the expansions will bring in more exciting gameplay. The Sims 3 base game was pretty dull for me too. I am already a lil bit bored of The Sims 4, my simmies need more to do.<br />
    <br />
    All I would want to rant about is the loss of the colour wheel, I dislike that! I wish they could bring that back somehow.

Kind of happening for both sides sadly but it's relatively tame - plenty of great discussions between both camps that I've been able to read so that's been nice :)
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Luke2153Luke2153 Posts: 538 Member
    edited September 2014
    [/quote]Now by all means, defend Sims 4 all you want. I can easily play versions of games like the Sims 4 via FREE Facebook games. But there is no way you can convince me otherwise that the base game of this new so called Sims 4 series has any greatness.[/quote]

Don't even compare any game to Facebook....
    large.jpg
  • mr014mr014 Posts: 1,648 Member
    Tessiexx wrote: »
    I thought we could all express our feelings freely without the backlash - just because our opinion might be negative. All I seem to see is people saying what they dislike about The Sims 4 and then people biting at them; "How dare you not like it?" Idk.. seems abit of an oxymoron to me at times.<br />
    <br />
    I haven't posted yet about The Sims 4, whilst I think the graphics look really nice I find the gameplay kinda lackluster. I'm hoping the expansions will bring in more exciting gameplay. The Sims 3 base game was pretty dull for me too. I am already a lil bit bored of The Sims 4, my simmies need more to do.<br />
    <br />

I hear you about the color wheel. If not the ability to customize the textures of objects and clothing, I think they could at least give us a color wheel to freely recolor the existing textures of items.
  • LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
    the only thing I miss in The Sims 3 is my grumpy trait and the open world, but I never saw my sim looking so good in the Sims 4. To me, Sims 4 is a win win.. I can't imagine how this game would look and feel after some Ep under it's belt.. also should remember ea did say they only focus on the sims themselves (they are so cute) and the rest will come later..
  • Dstewart368Dstewart368 Posts: 4 New Member
    I have only posted to this forum three times in my life, so here it goes ...

I agree that TS4 wasn't what I expected, and doesn't at all match up with my style of play. I've been playing The Sims since its original version and have faithfully purchased every game and expansion pack since. Unfortunately, my passion is building, and, while TS4 provides some very interesting tools for doing so, the absence of Create A Style leaves me extremely disappointed. CAS provided almost infinite options -- now we have 6-10 for each individual object. I can tell you that's enough to keep me interested for about two or three weeks. Yes, the Sims themselves are a bit more interesting, but at what cost? Smaller neighborhoods, fewer lots (and even fewer buildable lots) and being unable to explore the world seamlessly -- I'm sorry, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. It's as if they took the best of TS3 and just threw it away just for the sake of doing something different.

I know I'll be attacked for saying I don't care of it. but so far I'm not all that impressed. I'm trying to keep an open mind and wait for an expansion pack before I decide whether to keep playing or not. But I honestly don't believe it's going to keep me engaged until then. But there's always TS3!

This isn't about not liking change. I actually embrace change. It's just that what they've given us in TS4 is outweighed by what they've taken away. Sorry.

So go ahead. Have at it. It seems when someone says something negative they are immediately attacked. I look forward to your comments, but I likely won't respond to them.
  • daltondougdaltondoug Posts: 618 Member
    I have only posted to this forum three times in my life, so here it goes ...<br />
    <br />
    I agree that TS4 wasn't what I expected, and doesn't at all match up with my style of play. I've been playing The Sims since its original version and have faithfully purchased every game and expansion pack since. Unfortunately, my passion is building, and, while TS4 provides some very interesting tools for doing so, the absence of Create A Style leaves me extremely disappointed. CAS provided almost infinite options -- now we have 6-10 for each individual object. I can tell you that's enough to keep me interested for about two or three weeks. Yes, the Sims themselves are a bit more interesting, but at what cost? Smaller neighborhoods, fewer lots (and even fewer buildable lots) and being unable to explore the world seamlessly -- I'm sorry, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. It's as if they took the best of TS3 and just threw it away just for the sake of doing something different.<br />
    <br />
    I know I'll be attacked for saying I don't care of it. but so far I'm not all that impressed. I'm trying to keep an open mind and wait for an expansion pack before I decide whether to keep playing or not. But I honestly don't believe it's going to keep me engaged until then. But there's always TS3!<br />
    <br />
    This isn't about not liking change. I actually embrace change. It's just that what they've given us in TS4 is outweighed by what they've taken away. Sorry.<br />
    <br />
    So go ahead. Have at it. It seems when someone says something negative they are immediately attacked. I look forward to your comments, but I likely won't respond to them.

Nah, your feedback is nice and all. I know lots of folks are dissapointed. I do hope the game can get good again for you; coming to it with high expectations sure is hard
    I have only posted to this forum three times in my life, so here it goes ...<br />
    <br />
    I agree that TS4 wasn't what I expected, and doesn't at all match up with my style of play. I've been playing The Sims since its original version and have faithfully purchased every game and expansion pack since. Unfortunately, my passion is building, and, while TS4 provides some very interesting tools for doing so, the absence of Create A Style leaves me extremely disappointed. CAS provided almost infinite options -- now we have 6-10 for each individual object. I can tell you that's enough to keep me interested for about two or three weeks. Yes, the Sims themselves are a bit more interesting, but at what cost? Smaller neighborhoods, fewer lots (and even fewer buildable lots) and being unable to explore the world seamlessly -- I'm sorry, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. It's as if they took the best of TS3 and just threw it away just for the sake of doing something different.<br />
    <br />
    I know I'll be attacked for saying I don't care of it. but so far I'm not all that impressed. I'm trying to keep an open mind and wait for an expansion pack before I decide whether to keep playing or not. But I honestly don't believe it's going to keep me engaged until then. But there's always TS3!<br />
    <br />
    This isn't about not liking change. I actually embrace change. It's just that what they've given us in TS4 is outweighed by what they've taken away. Sorry.<br />
    <br />

Could have done without the end part of your statement - there are plenty of us on the "Likes TS4" side who are more than happy to talk with people who feel let down without resorting to name calling. There's also plenty of people on the negative side happy to do the same thing to folks who like the game - why should we worry about them? Plenty of room to have a civil discussion with people who are interested in such :)

Sorry to hear it's not quite what you wanted - I do agree the CAS color picker and themes would have been nice to keep in the base game but to me, that's something that at least can be patched in. I feel like Maxis went a safe route and from here can expand. I'd just like to see some of those options return as free patches instead of being DLC gated.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2014
    keyb0x wrote: »
    > @keyb0x said:<br />
    > Mixalicious wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > A lot of people have been complaining it's hard. Making friends is too hard, being romantic is too hard, bills are too high, etc etc etc.<br />
    > <br />
    > You've clearly not played the game at all.<br />
    <br />
    Yes I have, and honestly those things came easy to me throughout the game.

>Played a few hours
    >Encountered all these bugs
    >Game was easy throughout

Ahuh.

Alright, have your hissy fit but you're a few days too late. That train left the station days ago.

Get with the times.

Hi, Keybox, remember our conversation the other day where I said you always come into threads where people are complaining or disappointed about the game? Well, I see you are very active in this one, telling people how wrong they are for disliking the game, or they didn't give it enough time, or accussing/hinting they didn't really play it. I think you wanted proof you do this..well.... saying someone is having a hissy fit, is proof enough.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    No, CASt can't be added later. The game engine doesn't support it. There are I think 25 five colors defined in the game to which different emotions are connected. To be able to add CASt the whole game engine would have to be rewritten.
    One of the Guru's stated recently that colors were NOT connected to emotions. He was not clear whether it was a misunderstanding earlier or if "things changed". But the excuse we all understood for cutting CAST was indeed wrong.

"In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
    bflury wrote: »
    No, CASt can't be added later. The game engine doesn't support it. There are I think 25 five colors defined in the game to which different emotions are connected. To be able to add CASt the whole game engine would have to be rewritten.
    One of the Guru's stated recently that colors were NOT connected to emotions. He was not clear whether it was a misunderstanding earlier or if "things changed". But the excuse we all understood for cutting CAST was indeed wrong.

That would be the most bizarre coding connection ever to keep CASt from returning xD
    y9UdOhq.png
  • keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    @Mixalicious You're forgetting that most people don't live in America, that a lot of people didn't buy it for $60, that some people returned the game, and that VGChartz is just an estimation.

Been trying to find TS4 on VGChartz even and it's not there. Oh wait, that's because VGChartz doesn't even update until Tuesday like ALWAYS. Why are you pulling numbers out of your backside, again?
  • keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    keyb0x wrote: »
    > @keyb0x said:<br />
    > Mixalicious wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > A lot of people have been complaining it's hard. Making friends is too hard, being romantic is too hard, bills are too high, etc etc etc.<br />
    > <br />
    > You've clearly not played the game at all.<br />
    <br />
    Yes I have, and honestly those things came easy to me throughout the game.

>Played a few hours
    >Encountered all these bugs
    >Game was easy throughout

Ahuh.

Alright, have your hissy fit but you're a few days too late. That train left the station days ago.

Get with the times.

Hi, Keybox, remember our conversation the other day where I said you always come into threads where people are complaining or disappointed about the game? Well, I see you are very active in this one, telling people how wrong they are for disliking the game, or they didn't give it enough time, or accussing/hinting they didn't really play it. I think you wanted proof you do this..well.... saying someone is having a hissy fit, is proof enough.

I don't come into every thread where people do that though. Just ones where it's SMACKING YOU IN THE FACE obvious that the person is full of it.

You keep telling me I tell people they're wrong for disliking the game, which is bollocks. I have never done that, and you've seemingly turned down the challenge I gave you to find where I have ever told people they're wrong or not allowed to have an opinion about not liking the game.

Cinebar, I don't care what you have against me, but at least stop lying about things to inflate your ego.
  • AcidfairyyyAcidfairyyy Posts: 45 Member
    I sometimes feel like this entire forum is inhabited by 5 year olds (which is why I have so few posts to my name - never bothered with it when TS3 was out.)

As the old adage goes: 'Don't knock it until you've tried it!'
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    There are plenty of first person accounts, reviews from players about this game all over the internet.
    A person doesn't have to try it to make a sound decision
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    bflury wrote: »
    I distinctly remember them telling us the colors were connected to the Sims emotions & that certain colors affect the Sims emotions, prior to its release. Are they trying to mislead people because if they are, that's unfair & deceptive practices.
  • joneswkjoneswk Posts: 270 Member
    Linking colors and emotions in game is a nifty idea but it seems like something that could well be better for not being implemented. It could provide a choke point for gameplay thus limiting player options further and drive the sims insane - flip-flopping emotional states even faster.

The vitriol that people in both camps feel towards each other is banal: just because you are upset about the direction the game went doesn't mean that I can't enjoy it and just because I enjoy the game doesn't mean you have to like. It's that simple, but... Being hey, it's amusing to see "nature red in tooth and claw" in the forums, sometimes. Sometimes it's even fun to participate in it yourself. Maybe.

As for the original post, the thesis and the argument don't match. For a game to be an epic failure it would have to flop financially AND be entirely unplayable/unenjoyable. There are more than enough people who enjoy the game to negate the later and it's unlikely to fail financially.

As for the OP's comments about "hardcore players" and "true simmers": you can take your ad hominems and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    @Mixalicious

All the things you list can (or will) be back in the EP or the game updates.

About the small worlds, the better than to be forced to use only 1 world at once.
    In TS4, you can play all the available worlds at once.

At this time, it seems small but Maxis will release more worlds (14 neighborhoods in TS2, 23 worlds in TS3).

Now I'm curious to know how many custom worlds can be "plugged", this limit will determine if the TS4 universe is small or huge.

Where are you getting a custom world? You mean expansions?
  • gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    Thank you for the flags.

Enjoy the new work week, I will enjoy wearing my new flag.

You spread so much joy around here, thanks again.
  • RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    faytheful wrote: »
    There are plenty of first person accounts, reviews from players about this game all over the internet.

To be fair, I think it's best to try it if you want to be confident in your judgement.

I completely wrote the game off and never thought I'd like it, but I was actually a little pleasantly surprised.
  • Luke2153Luke2153 Posts: 538 Member
    gmgar wrote: »
    Thank you for the flags.

Enjoy the new work week, I will enjoy wearing my new flag.

You spread so much joy around here, thanks again.

Oohhh your lucky I got two flags. I'm gonna wear them to the nightclub tonight.

large.jpg
  • DiedrupoDiedrupo Posts: 206 Member
    edited September 2014
    Many people who supposedly enjoy the sims 4 so much don't play the game, they instead spend hours on the forums here to 'defend' how the game is so fun. How ironic the game is so much fun they'd rather not be playing but posting on the forums convincing us how much fun it is.

This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever read on the Internet.

People only defend the game because they enjoy it. If they didn't, they would have zero reason to defend it. We come to the forums because we like the game/series and want to discuss it, unlike the fools who haven't even played it and just come here to complain like whiny manbabies.
  • DiedrupoDiedrupo Posts: 206 Member

So basically you are a sheep who blindly chooses to obey other people's opinions rather than make your own?
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Diedrupo wrote: »

So basically you are a sheep who blindly chooses to obey other people's opinions rather than make your own?

No, basically, we save our money for the "sure thing" instead of gambling on something we haven't seen yet. I do not like the graphics, the animation, or the lack of creative control, I do not need to play the game to know this. I have played the game while helping another user get theirs working and it did not change my point-of-view on the graphics, animation, or lacking in creative control.

I do not need to purchase licorice ice cream to know I will not like it if it has already been determined that I do not like the flavor of licorice.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top