Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs Sims 4

JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
edited September 2014 in The Sims 2
People are comparing Sims 3 to Sims 4 (which isn't too far-fetched, it is the prequel after all).
I do however think the comparison is a bit hard, because Sims 3 is kind of a secluded game in the series.
(and you like it or you don't)

What I'm wondering though - if this topic already excists I appologize but it's kind of a jungle out here ;-) - is how people would compare 2 to 4.
I know a lot of people love 2. Comparing to that game, do you think Sims 4 is as good (comparing basegames of course), worse or better?

edit: and why ;-)
5JZ57S6.png

Comments

• KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I'd prefer Sims 2. I say Sims 4 is as good, but I prefer two because of what wasn't left out.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • HattyLouHattyLou Posts: 430 Member
    I think it compares because they have a similar focus...the Sims themselves. For me TS3 was completely devoid of personality, it was just a big expanse of stuff rather than enabling you to connect with your Sims. TS4 seems to have gone back to 'basics' and focused in again on the Sims, making them more quirky and likeable.

At this stage they seem similar, small world, likeable Sims, it will be interesting to see how TS4 progresses. I personally like the new approach with TS4!

• halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm a huge fan of Sims 2 and have not played Sims 4 yet but I can tell you theoretically how comparisons can be made based on things I have seen and confirmed:

Sims 4 Wins over Sims 2 in the following:
    1- Graphics & more beautiful surroundings
    2- CAS
    3- Build Mode
    4- Travelling system between worlds
    5- No. of loading screens are less to start the game.

Sims 2 Wins over Sims 4 in the following:
    1- Life stages are more polished
    2- More services available over the phone
    3- Ability to create your own world right from base game

Things to be determined as I have not played TS4:
    - How emotions affect gameplay in TS4
    - Leaving for work: Sims 2 have carpool and TS4 don't. Though TS2 sims take time to get in while TS4 sims are faster in vanishing. This I will decide with game play which I like better.
    - Careers: TS2 had more normal careers, TS4 have less normal careers, but I'm very keen to see how the promotions work.
    - How well the animations are done in TS4 compared to 2
    - How smooth TS4 plays and how fast the loading screens are compared to TS2
    - How story progression affect rotational play in TS4

Overall TS4 seems to have nice upgrades over TS2 but the game has to be played to know many of the other things.

Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • daltondougdaltondoug Posts: 618 Member
    no one ever will win sims 2 space in my heart =~~
  • WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    Nothing will replace Sims 2 for me either, but if we're only comparing base games Sims 4 wins easily. Sims 2 literally had nothing to do. The only community lots were the grocery store, clothing store, and park. There was never any reason to leave your house. I love Sims 2, it's amazing, but looking how much it changed from the base game to its end gives me so much hope for Sims 4 coming really close to top spot for me.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• AnisimAnisim Posts: 181 Member
    The Sims 2 had a charm that everyone loved that Sims 3 took away somehow (don't get me wrong, Sims 3 was an awesome game). I haven't played Sims 4 yet, but from what I've seen it seems to have some of that Sims 2 charm back a bit and I see a good, exciting future for it.
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    Nothing will replace Sims 2 for me either, but if we're only comparing base games Sims 4 wins easily. Sims 2 literally had nothing to do. The only community lots were the grocery store, clothing store, and park. There was never any reason to leave your house. I love Sims 2, it's amazing, but looking how much it changed from the base game to its end gives me so much hope for Sims 4 coming really close to top spot for me.

I always loved how that caputo guy in sims 2 would come across my house and be angry at me because my sim was using the telescope to look at him, lol. He always seemed to be so serious. I felt sims 2 had a lot of personality and emotion, even it it didn't had the emotion feature from 4. Funny how things are..
    Anisim wrote: »
    The Sims 2 had a charm that everyone loved that Sims 3 took away somehow (don't get me wrong, Sims 3 was an awesome game). I haven't played Sims 4 yet, but from what I've seen it seems to have some of that Sims 2 charm back a bit and I see a good, exciting future for it.

I found that 3 can be fun for the adventuring part. Like collecting and stuff.
    > @daltondoug said:
    > Anisim wrote: »
    >
    > The Sims 2 had a charm that everyone loved that Sims 3 took away somehow (don't get me wrong, Sims 3 was an awesome game). I haven't played Sims 4 yet, but from what I've seen it seems to have some of that Sims 2 charm back a bit and I see a good, exciting future for it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I found that 3 can be fun for the adventuring part. Like collecting and stuff.

That is true, but even so, Sims 2 just felt so...I don't know...a live and a lot more entertaining overall. Sims 3 became too serious, in my opinion, while Sims 2 had that comic charm that made you (or me, in this case) literally laugh out loud. I remember how many times I made my Sims go to University in TS2. While a lot of people seem to hate that expansion, I put it to good use and I had a good laugh while doing so, as well. Seeing people streak randomly, llama mascots getting into fights, the cook screwing up, etc. It was all good entertainment and it didn't even end there! With Sims 3, I felt kind of meh with the base game, as well as the following expansions. I even stopped playing Sims 3 for a few months until just recently, trying to get pumped for TS4. However, as I've said, TS4 is leaning toward TS2 more and that's a VERY good sign, in my eyes and I can't wait to see what's in store for it (no pun intended toward the actual store).
    > @daltondoug said:<br />
    > Anisim wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > The Sims 2 had a charm that everyone loved that Sims 3 took away somehow (don't get me wrong, Sims 3 was an awesome game). I haven't played Sims 4 yet, but from what I've seen it seems to have some of that Sims 2 charm back a bit and I see a good, exciting future for it.<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > I found that 3 can be fun for the adventuring part. Like collecting and stuff.<br />
    <br />
    That is true, but even so, Sims 2 just felt so...I don't know...a live and a lot more entertaining overall. Sims 3 became too serious, in my opinion, while Sims 2 had that comic charm that made you (or me, in this case) literally laugh out loud. I remember how many times I made my Sims go to University in TS2. While a lot of people seem to hate that expansion, I put it to good use and I had a good laugh while doing so, as well. Seeing people streak randomly, llama mascots getting into fights, the cook screwing up, etc. It was all good entertainment and it didn't even end there! With Sims 3, I felt kind of meh with the base game, as well as the following expansions. I even stopped playing Sims 3 for a few months until just recently, trying to get pumped for TS4. However, as I've said, TS4 is leaning toward TS2 more and that's a VERY good sign, in my eyes and I can't wait to see what's in store for it (no pun intended toward the actual store).

Make your words mine. 'Meh' was a usual word for me in sims 3.. and wha? people dislike university? I always LOVED that expansion

> @daltondoug said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Make your words mine. 'Meh' was a usual word for me in sims 3.. and wha? people dislike university? I always LOVED that expansion

Then I shall gladly share my thoughts with you. :) and surprisingly, yes. I've read on other forums, way back before Sims 3 was even a thought, and people were bashing on the University pack left and right. I loved that pack as well and it's the pack that I've probably used the most, as I've stated in my post before.
    > <br />
    > The Sims 2 had a charm that everyone loved that Sims 3 took away somehow (don't get me wrong, Sims 3 was an awesome game). I haven't played Sims 4 yet, but from what I've seen it seems to have some of that Sims 2 charm back a bit and I see a good, exciting future for it.<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > I found that 3 can be fun for the adventuring part. Like collecting and stuff.<br />
    <br />

I tought university left sims 2 very complete as well. Loved the secret society and etc. University in sims 3 didn't move me so much; all I did was stay in my house and study, study. In sims 2 I felt moved to interact with other characters

• HattyLouHattyLou Posts: 430 Member
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > Make your words mine. 'Meh' was a usual word for me in sims 3.. and wha? people dislike university? I always LOVED that expansion<br />
    <br />
    Then I shall gladly share my thoughts with you. :) and surprisingly, yes. I've read on other forums, way back before Sims 3 was even a thought, and people were bashing on the University pack left and right. I loved that pack as well and it's the pack that I've probably used the most, as I've stated in my post before.

That TS2 University expansion is one of my favourite expansions of all time!! It was so fun to play and I really missed the cook in TS3 University expansion.

Completely agree about TS3, I never connected with it, it bored me easily, stuffed too full of clutter and no personality!
    > @daltondoug said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I tought university left sims 2 very complete as well. Loved the secret society and etc. University in sims 3 didn't move me so much; all I did was stay in my house and study, study. In sims 2 I felt moved to interact with other characters

Exactly! Also the overall reward for completing University was an awesome bonus: extra wants :)
    > @HattyLou said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That TS2 University expansion is one of my favourite expansions of all time!! It was so fun to play and I really missed the cook in TS3 University expansion.
    >
    > Completely agree about TS3, I never connected with it, it bored me easily, stuffed too full of clutter and no personality!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who missed the cook. :)

I'm also glad you agree about TS3. As I've said already, It's not a bad game, but it just didn't have that awesome charm that TS2 had.
    edited September 2014
    I'm glad whims work a bit like wants, and I always have a reason to go for them(youth potion) that makes my gameplay worthwhile. Liked wants so much; made the sims look more real
  • KyrinaFarstarKyrinaFarstar Posts: 116 Member
    I absolutely love Sims2 and will still play it but I can see Sims 4 surpassing it entirely once it has a few expansions (if they are chosen more wisely than the Sims 3 expansions) due to more tailored social interactions. This is the thing I miss the most when playing Sims 2.
    the problem with ts3 was too much false sense o realism
  • Dan1el1996Dan1el1996 Posts: 124 Member
    hmm ... I think it's a bit silly to compare The Sims 4 with The Sims 2, because TS2 is 10 years old and the technology was not quite like that is now!

I know it's a bit stupid to compare TS4 with TS3, but it is the most natural to do!

anyway I feel that TS2 is better than TS4, because to be 10 years old, I still play it!
    TS4 missing so much awesome features!
    Like pools, family tree, todlers, cars (work cars was awesome!!), and services! TS2 had charm, something TS4 is missing!

I'm not saying TS4 was bad, but missing things to make it really fun!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for your reactions :)

I think Sims 2 was more of a game, where Sims 3 is, well, a virtual doll house really (creative but very much depending on your imagination skills). Comparing 3 to 4 basically comes down to 'which style of playing the game do you prefer'.

Like some of you mention Sims 4 takes a step 'back', which is why I was curious how Sims 2-lovers judge the two in comparison.
    Could Sims 4 become 'the better one' in time (objectively speaking).

- more attractive sims (and more possibilities in CAS) -> improvement
    - great graphics -> improvement
    - lively neighborhoods ->equal
    - lively sims -> equal
    - smooth animations -> improvement
    - amazing build mode -> improvement
    - beautiful villages -> improvement
    - ability to travel between worlds -> improvement
    - possibility to play the game rotating or Sims 3 style -> choice, always improvement

Cons? No pools, no toddlers.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
    Dan1el1996 wrote: »
    hmm ... I think it's a bit silly to compare The Sims 4 with The Sims 2, because TS2 is 10 years old and the technology was not quite like that is now!

I know it's a bit stupid to compare TS4 with TS3, but it is the most natural to do!

anyway I feel that TS2 is better than TS4, because to be 10 years old, I still play it!
    Like pools, family tree, todlers, cars (work cars was awesome!!), and services! TS2 had charm, something TS4 is missing!

I think the charm is there; it's just the features that are missing, lol
  • Stuart92Stuart92 Posts: 44 Member
    The Sims 2 is my favourite by far. I think they've taken inspiration from 2 for The Sims 4 but The Sims 2 wins hands down I think. The Sims 4 does have potential but I think in so many ways they have wasted an opportunity, the neighbourhood screen for example. Like The Sims 3, if the base game is unable to keep my attention I wont bother buying expansion packs.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2014
    I know it's hard to leave Sims 3 out of this, but this topic is about the comparison 2 to 4.
    Why does Sims 2 win hands down in comparison to 4? (neighborhood screen isn't really about playing is it?; it's a tool)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Dan1el1996Dan1el1996 Posts: 124 Member
    daltondoug wrote: »
    Dan1el1996 wrote: »

I think the charm is there; it's just the features that are missing, lol

No, let's just start with the pre-made families! TS2 had all named after their 'roots', but in TS4, they changed the name from Nighat Caliente (mother to Dina and Nina Caliente) to Katrina?

I feel that the little things that gave TS2 charm is gone in TS4!