Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Warning Written in Code

<Psudo>
#If Message_Warning <= 0 Then do;

: If you are reading this then you are in the Code.
: Beware the Super Computer
: Our Ghostwriter Disappearing Desktop is still susceptible to counter hacking.
: Beware the Super Computer -- Do not attempt to hack it alone.
: We will Coordinate our attacks at midnight.
: I will not include the Timezone -- It might intercept the message.
: Goodluck
#Else If
: Duce Ex Machina!
</Psudo>

Comments

• NovaliceSavrilNovaliceSavril Posts: 43 Member
    On a more serious note, has anyone managed to repair the Ghostwriter Disappearing Desktop? I've been sitting here since writing the OP trying to repair it and have made no progress.
  • gasolinebunnygasolinebunny Posts: 270 Member
    I don't get this. I also don't have the game yet, so that explains why I don't understand. o3o
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    He's talking about a computer in game

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • gasolinebunnygasolinebunny Posts: 270 Member
    edited September 2014
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    He's talking about a computer in game
    I figured that. I just don't understand the purpose of the "warning".
    The Ghostwriter Disappearing Desktop states it is unbreakable. I was just trying to be funny about warning people that it is not in fact unbreakable, that you can break it with a failed hacking attempt. And so far, a Handy Skill of 7 isn't sufficient to repair it.

On the bright side, it does make for a very convenient way to skill up handiness.
    I can confirm now that even with a Handiness of 10 you cannot repair the Ghostwriter Disappearing Desktop.
  • Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    what about programming as well? might need both skills? i dont know thinking outside the box
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
  • GithernGithern Posts: 75 Member
    What if it is not the Desktop that is broken but the user. Do you watch your handiness when you attempt to repair it? Does it "magically" go down?
    Ewkward
    I was level 10 programming when the hacking attempt failed vs the Supercomputer that destroyed the Ghostwriter. As such, with both 10 Programming and 10 Handiness I can confirm that does not allow you to repair the computer.
    Githern wrote: »
    What if it is not the Desktop that is broken but the user. Do you watch your handiness when you attempt to repair it? Does it "magically" go down?

I don't believe it was a glitch, but I can't test it anymore since I broke down and replaced the computer for 5k. I spent hours trying to repair it to get the skill up all the way and had closed the game a few times in those hours. But I cannot remember my handiness magically go down at all.
  • PeschkeGirlPeschkeGirl Posts: 88 Member
    I kinda hope it's not the case, but maybe it's a flavor thing. Since it's the Super Computer that is hacking yours, which ultimately broke your Ghostwriter, maybe the Super Computer broke it so badly it couldn't be repaired? Another possibility is that it is a glitch and the ghostwriter is not supposed to break even with this interaction (not failing the hack dice roll?).
    xyIcMqt.png
  • VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    Sounds like a bug to me... since the Ghostwriter Disappearing Desktop should be unbreakable.
    ... jinkies oO
    That's my thought on the matter, but unless EA patches it to behave differently... I'll just accept that it is working as intended for now and thought to spread the warning for others to be aware of the possibility.
    They may not be aware of the bug. I've been a part of testing before and the programmer I worked with was constantly amazed that I would break his game within a matter of minutes. In games like the sims there is just soo much code and so much to test in specific situations, timings, and often times things don't get noticed because there isn't enough people testing it before release.
    xyIcMqt.png
    They may not be aware of the bug. I've been a part of testing before and the programmer I worked with was constantly amazed that I would break his game within a matter of minutes. In games like the sims there is just soo much code and so much to test in specific situations, timings, and often times things don't get noticed because there isn't enough people testing it before release.

I am aware of that. Be it as it is however, allowing the community to know of this behavior is what my goal was. *smiles* I used to develop websites so I'm familiar with the being overburdened by code is like. I do agree that it is a high chance this is a bug that will eventually be patched; however in the meantime I will treat it as working as intended until EA gets around to patching it as this behavior would be a low-end bug for resolution purposes and I have little doubt there are worse matters to be attended first. :smiley:
    edited September 2014
    I am aware of that. Be it as it is however, allowing the community to know of this behavior is what my goal was. *smiles* I used to develop websites so I'm familiar with the being overburdened by code is like. I do agree that it is a high chance this is a bug that will eventually be patched; however in the meantime I will treat it as working as intended until EA gets around to patching it as this behavior would be a low-end bug for resolution purposes and I have little doubt there are worse matters to be attended first. :smiley:

Wow! That is pretty cool, though I'm sorry you were burned so badly by coding websites. I do appreciate what your intention was too, thank you :smiley: I agree that there are likely other, larger issues which would be better suited to have their attention.
    Post edited by PeschkeGirl on
    xyIcMqt.png
  • simrhinosimrhino Posts: 14 New Member
    I never encountered this... because I always found that thing to be too ugly with that flat neon keyboard. Do keyboards like that actually exist? I really hope not. I've never seen one, except in this game.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hello :)

This thread was last active over 4 years ago in 2014 so it is super old. As a result I will be closing it off, as necroposting is against our forum rules and just something to be mindful of ^^ I'll pop the forum rule on necroing below but if you have questions surrounding necroposting please review this thread HERE and feel free to post in there.
    Don’ts
    Doing something on this list often can get you suspended, or sometimes even banned.
    Necropost. Reviving, updating or bumping old, outdated and irrelevant threads is not helpful for our community. It's best to check when the thread was created before you hit post, just to make sure it's not 2 years old.

If there are new users reading this and find the workaround or suggestions aren't working, a super thoughtful forum member has started these two threads to help new members who may have issues with their game so that the much older threads don't need to be bumped back up. Please click on the Sims 3 or Sims 4 to be directed to the relevant thread for your gaming issues :)
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top