Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR's review is up.

Comments

• Mashimar0Mashimar0 Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited September 2014
    LGR is the only reviewer I look up on youtube. even though his review doesn't effect my game purchase, it's always entertaining to see, without all the yelling at filled with nonsense (like angryjoe or whatever).
    vyogg9rodtfcebiur2om.gif
  • justin5812justin5812 Posts: 632 Member
    Good review as always. Only thing that I couldn't understand were his loading times. Mine take about 10 seconds or so. Not sure why his was taking 20-45 seconds.
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    I've been very angry with EA and the way Sims 4 has been launched and will continue to be, however... in hopes for a bright future for Sims 4 I hoped they got the core stuff down. I've watched a lot of "Let's Plays" and read a lot of reviews and it seems that they did get that right. I love the Sims themselves. The hair still leaves something to be desired. Sometimes it looks great, other times not so much. The high end pixar like graphics are cute. I have gotten into it. I say this because theres no rule that says we can't play multiple series at once. While I wish some stuff had more texture to it, I love the cute Pixar feel to everything, the cartoony look. I didn't think I would, but while still difficult to adjust to, I do like it.

I agree with LGR very much. The game does look fun. But per principle, I refuse to support Sims 4 until Toddlers and some other basic features are back. It's not so much that it's impossible to play without toddlers, it's the fact that they think I'm going to settle for such plum after 14 years of Sims loyalty. Absolutely not. I'm sorry. I'll get it on sale in the future when I can move into the Sims 4 era and play with toddlers as part of the game.

I refuse to settle for less.

However, the great reviews and my own experience with video's does make me very excited for the future. I'm dissapointed by a lot, but I also feel so much Sims 2 energy from this game that I feel like a lot of what seems very limited now will be added on later. Like when the neighborhood showed up on your lot as background decor in Sims 2 after NL. I think things will get much better. I just hope EA has allocated the correct resources to bring this game to where it should be and quick. I hope they are not money hungry about it either, because that will backfire badly. I remember saving 10 dollars a month to be able to buy stuff packs and EP's as a teen. Too many releases will be unfair to those who can't afford it as well.

Be careful EA. Don't ruin the Sims franchise. We all know what happened with SimCity. Twice. 2004 and

Sims 2 is epic because of the gameplay. Sims 3 is epic because of the customization and open worlds. Both lack in the area the other excels. We hoped 4 would blend those two together. It looks like a start, but I still worry about the future of how this game will go.

They ought to be quite careful on what EP 1 and 2 are. JMO. I'm currently waiting on toddlers, pools, cars, ghosts, graveyards, a color wheel (or seperate/stand alone CASt), family tree's, etc etc etc etc.

I want base game features back immediately before I'll move on to

Still glad about the good gameplay reviews! Watching the group of Sims all react to a funny joke in different ways was so alive and fluid. Like really good looking Sims 2 sims. Very promising :)
  • ArkaneArkane Posts: 20,224 Member
    So reading through this thread has made want to know which you you Simmers have the game on a SSD vs a HDD? What were your results? I use both and am deciding whether or not to continue using my Hardrive or my SSD.
    Potential Is Everything

Origin ID: BadArkane

XYeo1vn.png
  • JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    So reading through this thread has made want to know which you you Simmers have the game on a SSD vs a HDD? What were your results? I use both and am deciding whether or not to continue using my Hardrive or my SSD.

My computer is over 4 years old and I have the game installed to an SSD and I see about 11 second loading screens.
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »

My computer is over 4 years old and I have the game installed to an SSD and I see about 11 second loading screens.

Thanks for the quick response. :) Now all there is to see is the results from Simmers who use a HDD.
    Potential Is Everything

XYeo1vn.png

Thanks for the quick response. :) Now all there is to see is the results from Simmers who use a HDD.

DrGorilla said he uses an HDD and he had faster load times than me. He probably had better computer specs otherwise though.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

I've got a pretty good computer (8-core, new upper mid-range graphics card, 8G RAM) and 2 HDDs. I haven't literally timed it but my loading screens are between 12 and 20 seconds. Definitely not in the 45 second range.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • PeschkeGirlPeschkeGirl Posts: 88 Member
    > @Ultra said:
    > Just finished watching, no surprises in what he said. Thought it was pretty fair if not a little bit generous.
    I always enjoy watching his videos, although this one kind of seemed like he felt pressured into saying a lot of the negative things people have already mentioned so that he would get less drama on his video comments... Even if the things he said were perfectly valid, that's how it seemed to me anyway. Honestly there are a few things I was frustrated with in TS4 (even though I'm enjoying playing the game) that he didn't mention at all.
    xyIcMqt.png

HDD for me and the longest loading screen I have encountered in over 20 hours of gameplay is 15 seconds or so. And that was when I was going from my house in Willow Creek to the bar in Oasis Springs.

DrGorilla said he uses an HDD and he had faster load times than me. He probably had better computer specs otherwise though.

Yeah possibly. I do have a 1TB HDD, but it's close to getting full and I wanted some spare free space for other things. I'll test it out though, most of the other games I play don't take long to load, but there's always that one that causes you grief.

Thanks again.
    Potential Is Everything

XYeo1vn.png
    ebuchala wrote: »

I've got a pretty good computer (8-core, new upper mid-range graphics card, 8G RAM) and 2 HDDs. I haven't literally timed it but my loading screens are between 12 and 20 seconds. Definitely not in the 45 second range.
    justin5812 wrote: »

HDD for me and the longest loading screen I have encountered in over 20 hours of gameplay is 15 seconds or so. And that was when I was going from my house in Willow Creek to the bar in Oasis Springs.

Thank you both for this! This definitely gives me hope that it'll be just fine on my HDD then. Hopefully a test will prove if I can match you guys times.
    Potential Is Everything

XYeo1vn.png
  • CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member
    I would agree...I seriously disagreed with him putting supernatural so low on his best/worst of the sims 3 list. ;) I understand where he's coming from, in that supernatural sims aren't his personal play style...but for those of us who love the occults, it was one of the best expansions we had. But even when I disagree with him...I love his reviews!

Yup, he did well by that EP, even though he hated it! (And I kind of hate Sim vampires, so I get where he's coming from. Some of it is just silly.)

Good to know about uncompressed textures. Hopefully that bit of knowledge can get passed around/stickied so it can help people?
  • chellechereechellecheree Posts: 232 Member
    i have a pretty great machine with ssd and top of the range video card and i have uncompressed textures ticked and playing on ultra and my game load times are about 12 seconds whilst my sims 3 with all EXP and SP was unplayable
    c.gifh.gife.gifl.gifl.gife.gifc.gifh.gife.gifr.gife.gife.gif
    edited September 2014
    1355088539034.gif

........um...... hi
  • kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    I added an annotation about the load times to the video.

Basically, running the game maxed out at 1080p and with "uncompressed textures" enabled made load times longer. Combined with the fact that my save game became bloated after almost 40 hours on a single save file, the load times got lengthier. Playing a fresh save and disabling uncompressed textures returned the load times to their normal 5 to 15 seconds.

My main point remains though: it's annoying to have so many load screens and have them increase over time. As I said in the video, "your results may vary", but the load times are there and are frequent depending on how you play :)

And thanks for all the feedback on video!

Thank you for explaining, and also thank you for being such an awesome reviewer. :)

kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Mashimar0Mashimar0 Posts: 1,770 Member
    @phreakindee

I want to have your bab..... *ahem* I mean, good review video, sir! good review video *quickly exits this thread*
    vyogg9rodtfcebiur2om.gif
  • phreakindeephreakindee Posts: 114 Member
    edited September 2014
    deibreak wrote: »
    I think he was just over estimating, otherwise i feel bad that his load times were so long. My load times are so short and i have a 5 year old computer with an intel graphics chip ( I can't wait to get my new computer). :p

That's the thing: if you run the game on older hardware with the graphics presumably turned down, it runs far better. I ran this on a friend's laptop at low-medium settings and it was fine. But when you max it out and run with uncompressed textures and play for dozens of hours, it gets a bit bloated! Longest load time for me was timed on my stopwatch app at 40 seconds, which is why I said what I did.
    edited September 2014
    I added an annotation about the load times to the video.

Basically, running the game maxed out at 1080p and with "uncompressed textures" enabled made load times longer. Combined with the fact that my save game became bloated after almost 40 hours on a single save file, the load times got lengthier. Playing a fresh save and disabling uncompressed textures returned the load times to their normal 5 to 15 seconds.

My main point remains though: it's annoying to have so many load screens and have them increase over time. As I said in the video, "your results may vary", but the load times are there and are frequent depending on how you play :)

And thanks for all the feedback on video!

Good review dude and thanks for clearing up the loading times thing. Really the only part that had me scratching my head a little.
  • IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member
    i think people are being unfair with the price. i payed 89 for my daughter to have mario that she clocked in 2 weeks . but a game i will get a hell of a lot more than 2 weeks out of isnt? What other games do you guys base your opinions on?

Woah where do you buy games that you pay 89bucks for a Mario game O.o ?
    Not sure wich country you are from but if i use dollar converter I apperiantly pay 64bucks for the average WiiU/PS3 game
    PC games are cheaper here (they go down in price really fast), Except funny enough sims games XD sims 3 basegame in every store i see it in still costs 65bucks easy and even sims 2 expension packs go for 26 dollars if you have to buy them in a store...

Anyway only thing i still buy at full price are nintendo games because they never drop in pricing, Other then that our PS3 is pretty new (bought it for cheap since the PS4 launched, and we had a wishlist for that console of like 10games lol)
    We mainly use a PC/WiiU and 3DS combo in our home atm (works great for us), anyway OT

Good review, I'm still voting with my wallet and not buying the game, the lack of CAST and open world are still my gamebreakers, and I really would like to wait and see where this game go's from here (I really need prove that EA will let maxis fix this game on their own, instead of letting the community do the free labor again like in TS3) and not just that, but i would really like to see this game go into another route (with some NEW expensions).

deibreak wrote: »
    I think he was just over estimating, otherwise i feel bad that his load times were so long. My load times are so short and i have a 5 year old computer with an intel graphics chip ( I can't wait to get my new computer). :p

That's the thing: if you run the game on older hardware with the graphics presumably turned down, it runs far better. I ran this on a friend's laptop at low-medium settings and it was fine. But when you max it out and run with uncompressed textures and play for dozens of hours, it gets a bit bloated! Longest load time for me was timed on my stopwatch app at 40 seconds, which is why I said what I did.

I like all of your videos but when you going to get some more thrifting videos up? :p

I never thought I would enjoy watching someone else go shopping.
    I like all of your videos but when you going to get some more thrifting videos up? :p

Glad you're enjoying!

Episode 13 of Thrifts is set to go up... someday, haha. I'm not sure, possibly this coming week. I'm a bit burnt out for the moment and am just taking it easy, took over 60 hours to make this Sims 4 video this week, haven't slept much.
  • IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member

Glad you're enjoying!

Episode 13 of Thrifts is set to go up... someday, haha. I'm not sure, possibly this coming week. I'm a bit burnt out for the moment and am just taking it easy, took over 60 hours to make this Sims 4 video this week, haven't slept much.

Go sleep ;P take a nice long nap, you deserved it after this

Ivinora wrote: »
    Go sleep ;P take a nice long nap, you deserved it after this

Me right about now...