Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR's review is up.

Comments

• Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    i think people are being unfair with the price. i payed 89 for my daughter to have mario that she clocked in 2 weeks . but a game i will get a hell of a lot more than 2 weeks out of isnt? What other games do you guys base your opinions on?

Why should we spend $60, when we can get it for $30 and don't mind waiting?
  • UntrustedlifeUntrustedlife Posts: 555 Member
    > @Bamajam said:
    > Are people really having to wait 20 to 40 seconds for loading screens to finish? Mine takes 5 seconds max. If I had to wait that long I guess I would rarely leave my home too.

i think lgr is the only one having that problem... for me, its like 3 seconds, so. eh. Not a big deal.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    [
    i think people are being unfair with the price. i payed 89 for my daughter to have mario that she clocked in 2 weeks . but a game i will get a hell of a lot more than 2 weeks out of isnt? What other games do you guys base your opinions on?

I posted in another thread about this--for a game of similar price, I would expect to play 30 to 40 hours. For games that I love and replay a lot, that time frame increases, of course, but I don't have a lot of games with that much replay value to me (Mass Effect--I'm well into the triple digits on the whole series, probably even on each game; Deus Ex:HR, etc.). If I get 30 to 40 hours out of TS4 base game, I'm satisfied I've gotten my money's worth. I'm expecting to get a lot more than that out of it and when the EPs start coming out, it'll just continue to add value for me.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,898 Member
    edited September 2014
    I don't base my decisions other people's reviews. I try the product myself to judge whether I like it. I do like his reviews though. Pretty entertaining. and I'm probably going to buy this game tomorrow and if I end up wasting my money on something I didn't like then oh well. Wouldn't be the first time I wasted money, nor will it be the last.
  • UntrustedlifeUntrustedlife Posts: 555 Member
    > @friendlyone20 said:
    > I don't base my preference on other people's reviews. I try the product myself to judge whether I like it. I do like his reviews though. Pretty >entertaining. and I'm probably going to buy this game tomorrow and I end up wasting my money on something I didn't like then oh well. >Wouldn't be the first time I wasted money, nor will it be the last.
    he definitely doesn't say it s a waste, he said specifically that it is "a good game" (well if you are willing to pay 70 $ for a unpatched sims base game)
  • nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    I pretty much agree with the LGR review. The game is fun, albeit flawed. Waiting a bit to buy it might indeed be a smart decision, not just because the game will get cheaper, but also because there are a few game-breaking issues that will have to be ironed out in the near future.

Today, Graham acknowledged that sims get fat from not exercising way too quickly (including townies), and Grant acknowledged that appliances and fixtures break down way too frequently.

I hope we can get firefighters and repairmen added to the game with the same patch, because I don't want all of my sims to be brave, athletic and handy.
  • CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member

Everyone has a different value to their money. LGR has always been pretty harsh on the Sims prices and I generally agree with him, though I bought Supernatural no matter what he thought. :) I will spend the $50ish on the next Civ game, because I know it will be a complete game, already set up to be mod-friendly, not because it's broken but because modders love making new civs and other fun stuff. And there will be a bit of DLC, but mostly just new maps and one-two actual EPs. Reasonably priced (to me). That's what I base my game spending on.
  • DrGorillaDrGorilla Posts: 253 Member

Everyone has a different value to their money. LGR has always been pretty harsh on the Sims prices and I generally agree with him, though I bought Supernatural no matter what he thought. :) I will spend the $50ish on the next Civ game, because I know it will be a complete game, already set up to be mod-friendly, not because it's broken but because modders love making new civs and other fun stuff. And there will be a bit of DLC, but mostly just new maps and one-two actual EPs. Reasonably priced (to me). That's what I base my game spending on.

Yes, the new Civ looks rad. I look forward to getting it also. Not sure if on release, since the really amazing mods need time to rev up, but I'll definitely get it eventually too.
    Joe, I think if it was a successful tweet, it should show up on his Twitter feed.

But I'm not really sure, since I'm not an experienced Tweeterer either.
    > @friendlyone20 said:<br />
    > I don't base my preference on other people's reviews. I try the product myself to judge whether I like it. I do like his reviews though. Pretty >entertaining. and I'm probably going to buy this game tomorrow and I end up wasting my money on something I didn't like then oh well. >Wouldn't be the first time I wasted money, nor will it be the last.<br />
    he definitely doesn't say it s a waste, he said specifically that it is "a good game" (well if you are willing to pay 70 $ for a unpatched sims base game)

I inserted that wasting money part in myself. ;) I know he didn't say it.
    And technically I'm just going to make that 60 dollars back in two weeks and then some anyways.
    Halle! Good to see both of us hanging out here at the same time. How've you been?
  • deibreakdeibreak Posts: 386 Member
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    LOL, he didn't say 1+ minutes. I believe he said up to 40 seconds.

He said up to 45 seconds on a SSD. SSD is much faster than a HDD so if he's getting 45 seconds on an SSD then someone with a HDD could be looking at 1+ minutes.

Also we could ask him to clarify but the only thing that needs clarification is if he meant he was getting 20-45 second load screens the entire time or just once his saved file reached 30 hours. Either way he's still getting 45 second load times and that's by no means typical.

@Joewow1003 He said in the comments that he had uncompressed textures checked in the settings, once he unchecked it the load times went faster. Someone asked him why his load times where so long, they were running there game on ultra settings and there load times weren't as long because they didn't have uncompressed textures checked. There isn't much of a difference in graphic quality if you play with that setting checked or unchecked.
    My computer sucks and the load times never go longer than like 10 seconds.

• Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member

I would agree...I seriously disagreed with him putting supernatural so low on his best/worst of the sims 3 list. ;) I understand where he's coming from, in that supernatural sims aren't his personal play style...but for those of us who love the occults, it was one of the best expansions we had. But even when I disagree with him...I love his reviews!

• GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    Glad LGR finds the Sims 4 fun. I'm still waiting patiently for a sale. Black Friday is only two months away so there is no need for me to rush.
    nateslice wrote: »
    Halle! Good to see both of us hanging out here at the same time. How've you been?

Hi, Nate!! I'm doing well! It's so nice to see you, too! I need to stop by your blog and catch up on what your sims are doing. :D
  • JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    deibreak wrote: »

He said up to 45 seconds on a SSD. SSD is much faster than a HDD so if he's getting 45 seconds on an SSD then someone with a HDD could be looking at 1+ minutes.

Also we could ask him to clarify but the only thing that needs clarification is if he meant he was getting 20-45 second load screens the entire time or just once his saved file reached 30 hours. Either way he's still getting 45 second load times and that's by no means typical.

@Joewow1003 He said in the comments that he had uncompressed textures checked in the settings, once he unchecked it the load times went faster. Someone asked him why his load times where so long, they were running there game on ultra settings and there load times weren't as long because they didn't have uncompressed textures checked. There isn't much of a difference in graphic quality if you play with that setting checked or unchecked.

Ahh okay, thanks for clearing that up :D

Too bad it's too late now though, I doubt 99% of people are even going to read the comment section for his correction and are just going to hear almost 1 minute load times and run the other way screaming.
    deibreak wrote: »

Ahh okay, thanks for clearing that up :D

Too bad it's too late now though, I doubt 99% of people are even going to read the comment section for his correction and are just going to hear almost 1 minute load times and run the other way screaming.

I'm so glad we got that cleared up. Can we go clubbing now?
    edited September 2014
    Halle_M wrote: »
    nateslice wrote: »

Hi, Nate!! I'm doing well! It's so nice to see you, too! I need to stop by your blog and catch up on what your sims are doing. :D

Well, there's no real hurry there. My simming and blogging activity has been rather on the slow side. I do always appreciate hearing from you, though! So, whenever you find the time, it's cool.
  • JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member

Sorry uh...didn't quite last 4 hours :(

Also I just checked this whole uncompressed graphic thingies.

With the box unchecked I was getting around 11 second load times, with the box checked about 17 seconds. Also I sure as heck can't tell the difference graphics wise between this box checked and unchecked.

So yes, this could be accounting for some of his load times but I don't think it would push it up to 45 seconds. Something else must be going on.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Haven't seen it myself, thought ye would be interested

Agree with pretty much everything he said. "Its not a total waste of time". :p

I agree also that its not worth the asking price, I'd have been a lot better served waiting till the price is down about 50% and some EP's are released. EA could recoup some credibility here by releasing many of the missing base features for free but I doubt that is going to happen.

Sorry uh...didn't quite last 4 hours :(

Also I just checked this whole uncompressed graphic thingies.

With the box unchecked I was getting around 11 second load times, with the box checked about 17 seconds. Also I sure as heck can't tell the difference graphics wise between this box checked and unchecked.

So yes, this could be accounting for some of his load times but I don't think it would push it up to 45 seconds. Something else must be going on.

I think he was just over estimating, otherwise i feel bad that his load times were so long. My load times are so short and i have a 5 year old computer with an intel graphics chip ( I can't wait to get my new computer). :p
    Doesn't it also depend on what processor speed your computer has to make the screens either load faster or slower?
  • UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    Th-thirty second loads what?! How in Rot's name can they say TS3 is fine but TS4 takes so long to load. For me TS3 is unplayable be cause of the long loading ((And freezing....And crashing....And bugs....)) and I barely hit 12 second load screens in TS4....Mh....Very strange.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
    edited September 2014
    Doesn't it also depend on what processor speed your computer has to make the screens either load faster or slower?
    That does make a difference, what doesn't make sense though is that he installed his game on an ssd which should make the load times way faster. My computer doesn't have that great of a processor. I actually think it was below the minimum requirements for that, along with my graphics card, and I still don't ever get a loading screen longer than like 10 or maybe 15 seconds.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    edited September 2014
    just to note I haven't read any of the pages of comments and probably won't right now as I was about to go to bed when I saw this - hence I need to just say this quickly and head to bed. I think this was a very good review and I'm glad LGR liked the game. I haven't bought or played it but I think, now that it's been out a few days, my initial thoughts are correct. It will be fun to dabble in a little but not (to quote LGR) my preferred Sims game. I will still be reading and researching more but I am not as against the game as I was, but still enough to wait until holiday sales. I don't mind paying $20 or $30 for a game I will likely have a little bit of fun playing, and I bet within 100 days the price will go down to that at least for holiday sales.

Still, we shall see. As many others have done I'm completely in my right to change my mind.

And with that, good night all :D
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.