Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Keyboard shortcuts to control speed not working properly

Every now and then my keyboard shortcuts to control speed (buttons 1 through 3) stop working and the only thing that makes them work again is restarting the game.

Is anyone else having this issue and have anyone perhaps figured out what causes it?

First time it happened for me, it happened after changing from full screen to full screen windowed and just now it happened after placing a few new windows in a house.

Comments

• celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    Ironically I wasn't until I read your post. This is crazy. I did a search looking for a list of short cuts cause I am using a lap top and that is how I read your post, when I went back to the game the speed buttons were not working.
  • JLynn22JLynn22 Posts: 88 Member
    press ESC or go into build mode. the controls need to be patched. this will fixed them in the meantime w/o a restart.
    lookit my lousy sig
  • Gainja wrote: »
    Every now and then my keyboard shortcuts to control speed (buttons 1 through 3) stop working and the only thing that makes them work again is restarting the game.

Is anyone else having this issue and have anyone perhaps figured out what causes it?

First time it happened for me, it happened after changing from full screen to full screen windowed and just now it happened after placing a few new windows in a house.
    This happened to me earlier. I minimized the game (hit the windows key on your keyboard) and then went back into it (click the tab on the star bar to open it back up). MUCH faster than restarting and the buttons should work again. No idea what causes this but this is what fixed it for me earlier.
  • celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    I also did caps lock and it started working again
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Thanks for all these suggestions! I had this problem too yesterday and had to restart the game. V.V
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • LeFayLeFay Posts: 30 New Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! This seems to happen on and off. Though it doesn't even let me use the numbers on my keyboard above the letters unless i'm using the numberpad...
  • GainjaGainja Posts: 167 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try these the next time it happens!

Cookies for everyone :D
  • badtothebone322badtothebone322 Posts: 5,914 Member
    Another way to fix it is by pressing 'P'. It unpauses the game and then the ~, 1, 2, 3 work.
    FamilyPortrait1.png
    Click my signature to check out my TS4 legacy challenge!
  • GainjaGainja Posts: 167 Member
    Well, it just happened and I tried all of the suggested solutions (caps lock, build mode, minimize) even tried going to manage worlds and back into my house. Guess there's no other way than restarting *tapdances on the bugs like a sim would*
  • SindiDollSindiDoll Posts: 21 Member
    I get this error often and it can be frustrating. Some times I have noticed that going into build mode works, other times nothing at all works. There are a few suggestions in this thread which I havent tried before (hitting P for Pause, and hitting capslock).

Wow ok, P worked! I had this error already which is why I came looking... Thank you everyone :) hopefully P will continue to work until they patch this x
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Unfortunatly happens to me all the time.. what works for me is opening the cheat box then exiting it, by hitting esc.
    I really wish this can be fixed.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• kimmie1971kimmie1971 Posts: 9 New Member
    hi im having similar problem , but with the enter key on number pad. wont do anything cant locate sim.
  • ShnuggumzShnuggumz Posts: 2 New Member
    Yup, I had the same problem!

In regular speed live mode, press "P" on your keyboard to pause the game, that worked for me on resetting the 1, 2, and 3 hot keys.
  • OutsideTheOctavesOutsideTheOctaves Posts: 15 Member
    I can add to the list of people who got it working with the P key.
  • Aotearoa14Aotearoa14 Posts: 155 Member
    I am having this problem more and more often. Restarting stopped working. I will try 'P' later on today and report back.
  • SpringgirlSpringgirl Posts: 28 New Member
    I would've thought this would be patched already. Still keeps happening for me, though. Sigh.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• BetterAngelsBetterAngels Posts: 50 Member
    Arg, this happens to me constantly. It's making me go coo coo bananas. The only way mine starts working again is if I restart the whole game. Nothing I do in specific triggers it, it seems. I don't go from windowed to full screen, I'm only ever full screened. I'll just be playing and bam, the keys wont work.
  • CaptainSeverusCaptainSeverus Posts: 1 New Member
    I had the same problem but when I paused the game (by pressing escape) and went back, it worked!
  • RebeczillaRebeczilla Posts: 2 New Member
    This just happened to me and I Just quit the game. I haven't re-opened it yet. But it wouldn't even let me put the cheat bar in or pause it or anything. I could only press 1,2,3,0 to change game speeds (when I usually use P instead of 0 that's when I noticed it), but then I thought with the new update maybe that's how you do it now, but then my cheat bar wouldn't open either!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    Rebeczilla wrote: »
    This just happened to me and I Just quit the game. I haven't re-opened it yet. But it wouldn't even let me put the cheat bar in or pause it or anything. I could only press 1,2,3,0 to change game speeds (when I usually use P instead of 0 that's when I noticed it), but then I thought with the new update maybe that's how you do it now, but then my cheat bar wouldn't open either!

Hello.
    If you still have problems with opening the cheat bar when you go back into the game, try coming back out again, then repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.
  • Cookingpup99Cookingpup99 Posts: 443 Member
    I hope they get this sorted soon, I'm doing a legacy story thingy and I got confused as to why I wasn't getting notifications when I pressed C like I usually did, I went into the folder to have a look and it hadn't been taking screenshots for ages. So annoying because now I'm going to have to go back and take the screenshots again. :angry:
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    I hope they get this sorted soon, I'm doing a legacy story thingy and I got confused as to why I wasn't getting notifications when I pressed C like I usually did, I went into the folder to have a look and it hadn't been taking screenshots for ages. So annoying because now I'm going to have to go back and take the screenshots again. :angry:

Hello @Cookingpup99 .
    I am sorry that you are having issues using the C key. Try coming out of the game and then going back in again and test to see if the C button is working then.
    If you continue to have issues, check that there isn't any other programs running at the same time as the game that is causing the issue.
  • Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    Gainja wrote: »

I experience this at least once per week and no errors are ever reported.
  • Cookingpup99Cookingpup99 Posts: 443 Member
    @rosemow Thank you for your help, I'll try that next time :) I wish they would just find a way to fix it, it does become a bit irritating when I play the game for an hour and then realize that none of the screenshots had actually been taken.