March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- The Sims 4 on Boot Camp & Virtual Machines -

BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
edited September 2014 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
Please can we use this thread as an "official" place for those playing The Sims 4 on a Mac in Windows. Whether you've Boot Camped your Mac or you've installed Parallels/VMware/other VM, please use this thread as feedback so we can keep everything in one place. This will help others decide how they'd like to install TS4 on their Macs. If it's working well, let us know. If it's not working, definitely let us know, we'd like to try and help.

Please provide the following information when posting:

- OS X version
- Windows version
- VM version, if applicable
- Boot Camp partition size and available space, if applicable
- total system RAM
- amount of RAM allocated to Windows if using a VM
- Graphics card(s) info
- processor info

If you need help installing Windows in Boot Camp, please read this thread and comment there if you're still encountering issues.

The wonderful Crinrict's Sims 4 blog will prove to be invaluable for game bugs and problems. It's always worth having a look here to see if any problems you're experiencing are known and if there is a fix - Crinrict's Sims 4 Help Blog

The following reported issues may not be specific to the Windows install method but I'm listing them under the method the player has used.

Reported issues - Parallels players
Reported issues - VMware players
Reported issues - Boot Camp players
One last thing, PLEASE don't use this thread to moan about TS4 not currently being available for OS X, this is a help thread :)
apple-signature.png
Post edited by BluebellFlora on

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Also too, if need be we can point the Tech folks here as well. Again if you want to moan about TS4 is anyway, we have a thread for it already started.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/758409/the-official-sims-4-for-mac-discussions-speculations-whatever#latest
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Oh I already posted in the Sims 4 Tech Discussion forum too @Tremayne, pointing to here. Someone stupidly helpfully moved the thread to Sims 4 GD so it could get lost in the myriad of fighting over there, which it has. Nice to see some things don't change and EA are as ignorant as ever when it comes to Macs....
    apple-signature.png
    So I now have Parallels installed on my Mac too. A bit overkill I know but I love experimenting and tinkering around :D I don't have TS4 yet. If/when I get it I'll install in Parallels and Boot Camp for comparison and report back.
    apple-signature.png
  • ultradave73ultradave73 Posts: 13 New Member
    I'm getting ready to suit up with Bootcamp. Seems to be my only choice; either that or get a refund for the game (Sims 4). I currently run Sims 3 on OS X 10.9 with a ton of CC and several mods without a hiccup.

Specs:
    Mid-2011 27" iMac
    Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz
    20GB Ram 1067 Mhz DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024MB (1 GB)
    OS X 10.9.4
    Bootcamp - Windows 7 Ultimate / 100GB partition
    Cool - let us know how you get on. A screenshot would be good too so we can see the graphics comparison :)
    apple-signature.png
    And make sure you have the latest Service Packs and DivX drivers for your Windows.
  • MALAiA46MALAiA46 Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited October 2014
    I am playing the sims 4 through parallels 9 using windows 7 professional 64 bit. I have a mac os desktop.
    I really want the mac version to come out already! I want to play it officially on my mac os!

Too many complications using parallels.

Game settings

Screenshot2014-09-03at100055PM_zps95efdd87.png

Screenshot2014-09-03at100142PM_zps6f1927b4.png

Post edited by MALAiA46 on
    Thanks @MALAiA46. It looks smooth to me :)

Cannot get over how much it resembles TS2 though :astonished:
    apple-signature.png
    Are you having any of the other troubles that people seem to have with the game? Like demon babies and such?
    I've just bought TS4, against my better judgement. I'll have it installed in Boot Camp and Parallels tomorrow so I can fully test, take pictures and report back.
    apple-signature.png
  • msarobixmsarobix Posts: 192 Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > I've just bought TS4, against my better judgement. I'll have it installed in Boot Camp and Parallels tomorrow so I can fully test, take pictures and report back.

@BluebellFlora, I am very interested to hear what you discover. I am seriously thinking about doing this. My husband is picking up a copy of Windows 8 for me today. At this moment I plan to go with BootCamp, but I would love to know if Parallels is the better option.
    > @ultradave73 said:
    > I'm getting ready to suit up with Bootcamp. Seems to be my only choice; either that or get a refund for the game (Sims 4). I currently run Sims 3 on OS X 10.9 with a ton of CC and several mods without a hiccup.
    >
    > Specs:
    > Mid-2011 27" iMac
    > Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz
    > 20GB Ram 1067 Mhz DDR3
    > AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024MB (1 GB)
    > OS X 10.9.4
    > Bootcamp - Windows 7 Ultimate / 100GB partition

Ultradave73, I am very interested in your feedback as well. I will be running on my Laptop with similar processor. You have a bit more Ram than I have, I only have 16 gig. I will also be using Windows 8, but I hope your feedback will be helpful in deciding if this is the route I want to take.
  • LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    Bit the bullet and bought the game. I have the demo running so i have my fingers crossed it will run the game. Anyone confirm if you got the demo running the game will as well?

Using parallels 9 with windows 7.

will update with other stats in a bit.
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
    Here is another question. If I do decide to set up BootCamp to Run Sims 4 would it be beneficial to move my Sims 3 game to the Windows side as well? I am just wondering if my game will run better that way with less problems. I recently learned that I need to scrub my memory during game play and that has helped considerably, but if I am going to install Windows on my MAC should I just move all my Sims games to that partition. I need to know this so I can make sure to allow for enough space on the partition for both games if that is what I decide to do.
  • ultradave73ultradave73 Posts: 13 New Member
    > @msarobix said:
    > Here is another question. If I do decide to set up BootCamp to Run Sims 4 would it be beneficial to move my Sims 3 game to the Windows side as well?>

That's up to you. I run Sims 3 just fine on the Mac. I do notice that with the graphics, they seem to be a little darker in Windows with the same resolution. I like to take advantage of the large screen during gameplay so it's a minor issue for me. I keep my Sims separate.

So here are the results. Bootcamp and the windows installation takes about 4 1/2 hours along with about 7 restarts... but the game runs great. I played for a few hours this morning with no problems. I was able to bring in my family that "I had saved" into the cloud library and also my house that I had spent over an hour on, so I was happy about that. So I just wanted to focus on gameplay this morning. I didn't start Simming until Sims 3. So I'm not sure how the similarities are with Sims 2 as I've read through the forums. I will say that the character animation is much better in Sims 4. The interaction with Sims and multi-tasking is really cool. I was initially nervous about the purchase, but I'm glad I got it. It is overpriced by about $30 for what you get, but hopefully any new expansions that will likely come out will only enhance the game. It is different than Sims 3, so I will still play both, but I can see myself spending more time with Sims 4. It's more fluid and less robotic, but the characters do look more cartoonish with their reactions and facial expressions, which I think was the idea. After all, it is a game.

I tried to attach some pictures, but for whatever reason I can't. AND, since I haven't been posting long, I can't include links. Sorry.
    @msarobix Yep, I'll post back as soon as I've had a good play with it. TS3 will always run better in Windows because it is a Windows program. You'll get probably double the fps that you get in OS X. And you won't need to purge RAM because the game can utilise 4Gb in Windows as opposed to 2Gb in OS X.
    apple-signature.png
    ultradave73 Thanks for the information. I just started recording a Sims 3 Let's Play so I will probably play both games for awhile also. I just want to clarify, you are keeping your Sims 3 on your MAC partition and Sims 4 on the Windows partition.
    @bluebellflora, so are you saying that my Sims 3 would run better if I moved it to the Windows partition? Is that where you run your Sims 3?
    BluebellFlora, can you also tell me how to do the linky thing with the user name. Thanks.
    I think you have to spell the name exactly right. In my case capital B and capital F :)@BluebellFlora not @bluebellflora

I have TS3 installed in OS X, Boot Camp and now Parallels, all on the same Mac. I play in OS X because I prefer the Mac colours, they're so much warmer than Windows, even with the Windows display calibrated with the Mac settings. I use Boot Camp for CAW mainly, hardly ever for playing.

apple-signature.png
    I think you have to spell the name exactly right. In my case capital B and capital F :)@BluebellFlora not @bluebellflora

Hmm, apparently not! Maybe you have to be a member? I got the notification though that you'd mentioned me :)

apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora, I thought I was a member. Not really sure.
    It says you're a New Member (under your avatar) I think you have to get 50 points before you're a Member. It's all a bit confusing and pointless I think :s
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora, so I am assuming that this is a different forum than The Sims 2 Forum? I know it looks different. Do you know how to find out how many points you have?
    @BluebellFlora it is so weird because it shows that I have been a member since 2009, and I have celebrated 5 anniversaries. I don't know?