Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The best place to look at sims 4 sale figures?

Comments

• kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    Robyn536 wrote: »
    kovu0207 wrote: »
    Just wait till Monday. That's when you will get the first news on sales, as that's when the charts update. Am hopeing Sims 4 makes number 1 but am not so sure now. Did Sims 3 reach number 1 when it launched out of interest?

Ah I guess I can wait until monday :)

Like someone mentioned, they'll be released on Monday. This is why games are released on Tuesdays (so sales figures reflect an entire week).

The projected sales for TS4 are around 7-8 millions units.

7-8 million units? that seems insanely high, sims 3 only sold 1.4 million in the first week. :open_mouth:

Where are those projected sales figures from?

I think the 7-8 million is total units sold. Not sure about the first week alone. I'm looking for the article, hang on..

Thank you, I would appreciate it :)

kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Hellbiter88Hellbiter88 Posts: 916 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm thinking those figures will be splashed all over the internet in a week or so

EDIT: Afterall, The Sims 4 hasn't exactly been a quiet franchise
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
    I'm thinking those figures will be splashed all over the internet in a week or so

I hope so :)

kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Robyn536Robyn536 Posts: 590 Member
    Whoops, @kovu0207, I misread!

They are estimating 3-5 million from the loyal fan base. They didn't say what they're expecting from new gamers, or even if that will make a difference in sales.

http://247wallst.com/consumer-electronics/2014/09/02/the-sims-4-released-and-patched-in-one-day/

They are estimating 3-5 million from the loyal fan base. They didn't say what they're expecting from new gamers, or even if that will make a difference in sales.

http://247wallst.com/consumer-electronics/2014/09/02/the-sims-4-released-and-patched-in-one-day/

I don't see that article saying that 3-5 million are expected to buy sims 4, just that the loyal fan base consists of this number?

kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I seriously doubt Sims4 will do as well as the others:

SIMS1

The Sims was first released on February 4, 2000
    In 2002, The Sims became the top-selling PC game in history, displacing the game Myst, by selling more than 11.3 million copies worldwide.
    As of February 7, 2005, the game has shipped 16 million copies worldwide.
    Critics praised it with positive reviews.
    It has been a success in many ways—attracting casual gamers and female gamers
    (the latter making up almost 60% of players).
    It became a best-seller shortly after launch

SIMS2

The Sims 2 was first released on September 14, 2004 for Microsoft Windows.
    The Sims 2 was a commercial success, selling one million copies in its first ten days, a record at the time.
    By September 2004, The Sims 2 has sold more than 20 million units worldwide.
    The Sims 2 was well received by critics gaining a 90% score from aggregators Metacritic and GameRankings

SIMS3

The Sims 3 was first released on June 2, 2009.
    The Sims 3 was a commercial success, selling 1.4 million copies in its first week.
    Critics issued mostly positive reviews.
    The Sims 3 gained an 86/100 score from aggregator Metacritic.
    The game has sold over ten million copies worldwide since its 2009 release

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_(video_game))

From these numbers, if EA is shooting for 7-8 million units of S4 they are seriously shooting low! Even buggy & laggy Sims3 sold over 10 million. :O

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • ShadoShyrkeShadoShyrke Posts: 57 Member
    That is why I would watch sites like IGN and PCGamer. Those two like to track that sort of thing. Their reporters/writers always seem to have a finger on the pulse of every major retail outlet and the game producers themselves.

@Stdlr9: Sales figures for companies retail wise only include sales. They never cover returns. Tracking returns or refunds and making them public is considered "bad business", depreciating company stocks in the public eye.

You would have to be in with the company (finance division) to get more than a "guestimation" look at those figures.

Compared to the massive advertising EA did for Sims3 , Sims4 advertising has been as quiet as the grave :p

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
    Zolt65 wrote: »

Compared to the massive advertising EA did for Sims3 , Sims4 advertising has been as quiet as the grave :p

That made me chuckle :D

kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • claritysfclaritysf Posts: 384 Member
    I'm curious too. I'm hoping Sims 4 did well. I'm really enjoying the game so far (A lot more than I expected!) and I'm looking forward to future expansions. There is so much controversy right now. A lot of mixed reviews and people requesting refunds. I don't want The Sims franchise to end after the Sims 4 base game because the sales numbers were too low... :/ I've been playing the Sims since Sims 1. This is the first time I'm a little worried...
    tumblr_mackehc6CQ1qgi6ty.gif
  • JoseffJoseff Posts: 546 Member
    http://vgchartz.com posts weekly/fortnightly sales figures for global games sales with all platforms and break downs of the countries.
    Joseff wrote: »
    http://vgchartz.com posts weekly/fortnightly sales figures for global games sales with all platforms and break downs of the countries.

I heard they weren't to be trusted?
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • ShadoShyrkeShadoShyrke Posts: 57 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »

I think part of this has been the flash back that happened with the initial problems of SimCity (2013). They faced a lot of bad press for that.

As for Sims sales, in 2000, Sims was the first ever game of it's time and the sales figures were taken over the time between release and the launch of Sims 2. Sims 2 came at a time when people had to chose to upgrade their machines to play the new games and a lot of people could not see that as worth it. A lot of people chose to stay with Sims 1 for years after the release of Sims 2. Why change when they had the toons and content they wanted without having to pay hundreds of dollars to upgrade machines?

This was again the approach with Sims 3. I still know people that were playing Sims 2 until the major sales in 2012 on Origin and Steam for Sims 3 (75% off holiday specials). Same will happen with Sims 4, and at the same time, Maxis/EA is competing with itself. Sims Free on mobile devices and the most recent releases of content for Sims 3 means slower build in sales for Sims 4.

Fans will follow, but watching, the fan base shrinks a little every year because there are so many games and systems to chose from today. All the F2P solid games become additional competition to sales.

I think they will do decently. I expect they may hit the 4-6M units sold between launch and the "end of life cycle" of Sims 4, but I doubt they will achieve what they did in 2000 unless we see a major revamp in approach. When Sims came out in 2000, they made a game and they waited to see if people would bite before working the idea of add-ons. In modern approach of increasing sales, they already have EP/SP waiting in the racks by the time the "base game" is sold.
  • Gawdfather1Gawdfather1 Posts: 601 Member
    It "Went Gold" a day or so before NA launch IIRC.
    For what that's worth.
    Banners.jpg
    It "Went Gold" a day or so before NA launch IIRC.
    For what that's worth.

I'm not sure what you mean by this post, going gold just means it's done, unless i'm mistaken?

kovu0207ver2.jpg

People who view a game favourably tend toward this argument. It seems to be a defense.
    Banners.jpg

People who view a game favourably tend toward this argument. It seems to be a defense.

Haha view the game favorably? Have you seen my posts around the forums? :lol:

Nah, i'm about as cynical as you can get when it comes to sims 4 :D

kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Robyn536Robyn536 Posts: 590 Member

I don't see that article saying that 3-5 million are expected to buy sims 4, just that the loyal fan base consists of this number?

"The Sims franchise has loyal followers and this new release likely will hit the Wedbush analyst’s estimate."

Basically, loyal fan base = near guaranteed sales. Obviously, there are more players than just the loyal fan base (newcomers, casual players, etx), but the *loyal* base is how they estimate. Plus, these are all just that. Estimates.

Basically, loyal fan base = near guaranteed sales.

Things change ;)

kovu0207ver2.jpg

Haha view the game favorably? Have you seen my posts around the forums? :lol:

Nah, i'm about as cynical as you can get when it comes to sims 4 :D
    No, no I mean in other games, I'm not really into personal attacks. So if anyone thinks I'm attacking them, I'm not, either a miscommunication or snark, lots of Snark from me. Lots and Lots and Lots, a Lot of Lots, Unlike TS4 :Rimshot:

Also "Going Gold" means a certain level of units sold. At least in the context I read about it.
    Banners.jpg

Also "Going Gold" means a certain level of units sold. At least in the context I read about it.

Really, i've never heard of it used like that before.

Also I didn't take it as personal attack :)

kovu0207ver2.jpg

I think they will do decently. I expect they may hit the 4-6M units sold between launch and the "end of life cycle" of Sims 4, but I doubt they will achieve what they did in 2000 unless we see a major revamp in approach. .

True. When you look at overall sales, I really wonder what and why EA went the way it did with S4.

Sims1 - 16 million
    Sims2 - 20 million
    Sims3 - 10 million

The best selling sims game was based on family and generational play.
    Simple as that.
    S1 introduced the simmies to us, S2 gave them a full family life, and S3 went more to the 'open world' and rpg questing instead of really focusing hard on families.
    And by all the uproar about no toddlers, we see the reaction of people that wanted a more family focused game.
    EA did do well in child and teen interactions ,but I think they goofed by removing a core element of what made sims2 so popular:
    they messed with the family.

After Sims3, many if not most people just wanted EA to get back to a family focused game with the better graphics of 2014.

Despite the positives of S4, I must conclude EA has failed to truly recapture the reason that made Sims2 so good.
    Hopefully EA will listen to the complaints (yes some trolls, but for the most part they are people that love the game and see how it COULD be better) and bring back the family & generational style that brought them 20 million in sales and not be content with 6 million.

just my thoughts anyhoo :)

Marcus Aurelius

Really, i've never heard of it used like that before.

Also I didn't take it as personal attack :)

k, good
    Banners.jpg

Release to manufacturing (RTM)

The term "release to manufacturing", also known as "going gold"
    is a term used when a software product is ready to be delivered or provided to the customer.
    This build may be digitally signed, allowing the end user to verify the integrity and authenticity of the software purchase.
    A copy of the RTM build known as the "gold master" or GM is sent for mass duplication. RTM precedes general availability (GA), when the product is released to the public.

It is typically used in certain retail mass-production software contexts—as opposed to a specialized software production or project in a commercial or government production and distribution—where the software is sold as part of a bundle in a related computer hardware sale and typically where the software and related hardware is ultimately to be available and sold on mass/public basis at retail stores to indicate that the software has met a defined quality level and is ready for mass retail distribution. RTM could also mean in other contexts that the software has been delivered or released to a client or customer for installation or distribution to the related hardware end user computers or machines. The term does not define the delivery mechanism or volume; it only states that the quality is sufficient for mass distribution. The deliverable from the engineering organization is frequently in the form of a golden master media used for duplication or to produce the image for the web.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release

Marcus Aurelius
    @zolt65, that's the going gold i'm familiar with. :)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg