Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do we manage new CC???

Without even a color wheel now, every object and apparel needs to have its own separate file for even simple color changes. I can see how all these CC files are going to quickly mushroom out of control. Some of the new CC just show an unrelated generic image and don't even offer correct icons that show the true colors of the clothing. I don't see that there is an easy way to manage and delete unwanted CC either through a separate utility or from within the game. Managing all this CC is going to be very difficult, so how do we do it???

Comments

• Options
    MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    I just keep my folders very organized.

If you edit your resource.cfg file (found in the Mods folder), you can get it to recognize subfolders. I don't remember the EXACT line, but it looks something like this (not exactly):
    PackedFile Mods/*.package
    PackedFile Mods/*/*.package

Just copy those lines, and add more "/*" to have it recognize deeper folders. So you would add something like
    PackedFile Mods/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Mods/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Mods/*/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Mods/*/*/*/*/*/*.package

That way, you can use subfolders to keep things organized.

In my Mods folders, for example, I have three folders: "CAS", "Build", "Game Mods"
    In CAS, I have "Hair", "Male", "Female", "Child"
    In Male, I have "Tops", "Bottoms", "Full", "Misc"

Whenever I download a mod or CC, I put it in the appropriate folder.

That way, if I need to delete or change something, I know exactly where to find it.
  • Options
    MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    Oh, in case you didn't know, you can also rename the .package files without it affecting the game or CC in any way.

So for example, if you download my Superman costume, but the filename is something crazy like "ya_mTop_891257a8_supman.package", you can just rename it to "AdultMaleSupermanCostume.package" to make it easier to find in the future. It won't affect the performance of the content (even if you rename it after it's already in use, because of the way TS4 uses IDs).

(I should point out I would NEVER name my files something so ridiculous. It's just an example. But some people do...)
  • Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    Maclimes wrote: »
    Oh, in case you didn't know, you can also rename the .package files without it affecting the game or CC in any way.

So for example, if you download my Superman costume, but the filename is something crazy like "ya_mTop_891257a8_supman.package", you can just rename it to "AdultMaleSupermanCostume.package" to make it easier to find in the future. It won't affect the performance of the content (even if you rename it after it's already in use, because of the way TS4 uses IDs).

(I should point out I would NEVER name my files something so ridiculous. It's just an example. But some people do...)

I was wondering about that! I was thinking of replacing all my current (made) packages with ones that'll work with the game that I'd just make new versions and naming them with like _FullGame or something, now I know for sure that I can rename all my current ones to _CASdemo or something.
    I could update all the current files I have uploaded with the revised name (for demo) and put up "these are for the full game, guys!" versions too, so that people can choose the one they need to use. But I'm not sure yet if I'll keep making demo versions or just drop those after tonight.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    ThomasTSRThomasTSR Posts: 14 New Member
    We will soon release TSR CC Manager which will be a well designed and user friendly tool that helps you keep your content organized and also make sure the game is not slowed down with excessive amounts of CC. Look for a public beta shortly.
  • Options
    proconprocon Posts: 92 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    stickman1676stickman1676 Posts: 91 Member

If you edit your resource.cfg file (found in the Mods folder), you can get it to recognize subfolders. I don't remember the EXACT line, but it looks something like this (not exactly):

Just copy those lines, and add more "/*" to have it recognize deeper folders. So you would add something like

In my Mods folders, for example, I have three folders: "CAS", "Build", "Game Mods"

That way, if I need to delete or change something, I know exactly where to find it.

Can you also state how to open the resource.cfg file in order to edit it? I can't figure out how to do that.

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi,

Can I ask if using CC in Sims 4 will follow the same procedure as Sims 3, ie:

Mods folder then in mods folder packages folder , overrides folder and resource cfg.

Then after downloading CC use winzip and then place into packages folder so it works in the game?

I ask because someone was saying they were wondering why bother making anything because even without CC if the user did not have the same in game content it would not work like sims 3 where items the user did not have got replaced with similar game items?

Also I read that CC will not be downloaded through the exchange on any item so am I presuming correctly that if I download from somewhere other than the exchange it will keep the CC on my item and into my game?

If so would Sims 4 CC work with custard and need updating when new patches come along?

Sorry for the long questions but I think I am beginning to realise before I am even able to get my hands on the game I will need more content :D
  • Options

Can you also state how to open the resource.cfg file in order to edit it? I can't figure out how to do that.

If you right-click the file and click open it will ask what you want to open it with, I suggest/use notpad.
    :)
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited September 2014
    I have a question - which Resource.cfg file is discussed here.? Because file from the demo of the mods folder looks like this:
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    It doesn't read subfolder packages of course
    Do you write about file from the game already?

sorry for edit but my English isn't to good and uncle Google suffers from stupidity
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    kreatora wrote: »
    I have a question - which Resource.cfg file is discussed here.? Because file from the demo of the mods folder looks like this:
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    It doesn't read subfolder packages of course
    Do you write about file from the game already?

sorry for edit but my English isn't to good and uncle Google suffers from stupidity

The Resource file that came inside the Mods folder, both the CAS demo and the full game have a Mods folder with this file in it.
    :)

HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    ok dumb question time. Can I just have a folder on my desktop with the named folders and then use the control f function (copy the file I am looking for in my desktop folder and past it in the search) in the mod folder?

I like it this way if it works because i can add a pic to the folder on my desktop so i know exactly what the cc is?
  • Options
    JLynn22JLynn22 Posts: 88 Member
    the way you have it organized...how is it working for you? i tried to do this twice like i have my S3 stuff setup and it doesnt work.
    lookit my lousy sig
  • Options
    JLynn22 wrote: »
    the way you have it organized...how is it working for you? i tried to do this twice like i have my S3 stuff setup and it doesnt work.

Who are you asking?
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    anyone who has their folders set up like that. because mine doesnt work
    like i try to do:
    mods > CAS > hair (all hairs folder), clothes (all clothes folder) etc and uh, yea no the game doesnt see it all if its set up like this.

so right now i just have

mods > CAS folder, Build folder, Buy folder, Scripts folder with the resource.cfg in there.
    lookit my lousy sig
  • Options
    anyone who has their folders set up like that. because mine doesnt work<br />
    like i try to do:<br />
    mods > CAS > hair (all hairs folder), clothes (all clothes folder) etc and uh, yea no the game doesnt see it all if its set up like this.<br />
    <br />
    so right now i just have<br />
    <br />
    mods > CAS folder, Build folder, Buy folder, Scripts folder with the resource.cfg in there.

Hmm. I have Mods/Hairs-m, Mods/Hairs-f, Mods/Clothes-m, Mods/Clothes-f & Mods/Accessories right now, I don;t have any folders inside of other folders once I'm in Mods. Do you have your resource file altered?
    What happens when you move (let's say) all the hairs into CAS instead of in a hairs folder?
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    thats where they are now. all the clothes, eyes, skins, shoes - anything in CAS is in the initial CAS folder in the mods folder.
    Current setup: Mods (where the resource.cfg is) >
    CAS (all CAS things here),
    Build mode,
    Buy mode,
    Scripts

the resource.cfg has not been altered in anyway, its the one that installed with the game.

i was hoping to have it setup like my S3 mods folder, you know:
    Mods (where the resource.cfg is) > Packages >
    CAS (+ its subfolders "hairs", "eyes", "skins", "clothes", etc),
    Build Mode,
    Buy Mode,
    Scripts
    Rabbit Holes
    Annual Merges (HUGE merged files basically)
    fix.package for TS3 decrapped store content

i was hoping w/ S4 we could do the same setup, but apparently not. /sob
    lookit my lousy sig
  • Options
    CyberSurferCyberSurfer Posts: 76 Member
    It's possible that the game can't parse folders with spaces... though in this day and age, that would seem odd...
    The One, The Only, The Original..
    CyberSurfer
    The Ghost in the World's Virtual Machine
  • Options
    im not saying its odd, im saying its ridiculous.
    lookit my lousy sig
  • Options
    CyberSurferCyberSurfer Posts: 76 Member
    I don't know for certain, as I haven't got the game installed yet.. I'm just putting forth a possibility. Others who know more about this might have better information.. :smiley:
    The One, The Only, The Original..
    CyberSurfer
    The Ghost in the World's Virtual Machine
  • Options
    MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    edited September 2014
    Right now the default resource.cfg file only goes one layer of folders deep I believe.

So If you have:

/Mods/Resource.cfg
    /Mods/fix_outline.package
    /Mods/Hair Textures/hair_texture_example.package

they will all load, but:

/Mods/Hair Textures/Blond hair/blonde_hair_example.package

will not load

To make the last example load you would have to change your Resource.cfg file to read:

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*.package

adding the last bolded line basically. I don't believe that spaces in file names or directories will make any difference but I don't have the full game yet to be certain.

• Options
    thats where they are now. all the clothes, eyes, skins, shoes - anything in CAS is in the initial CAS folder in the mods folder. <br />
    Current setup: Mods (where the resource.cfg is) > <br />
    CAS (all CAS things here), <br />
    Build mode, <br />
    Buy mode, <br />
    Scripts<br />
    <br />
    the resource.cfg has not been altered in anyway, its the one that installed with the game.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    i was hoping to have it setup like my S3 mods folder, you know:<br />
    Mods (where the resource.cfg is) > Packages > <br />
    CAS (+ its subfolders "hairs", "eyes", "skins", "clothes", etc), <br />
    Build Mode, <br />
    Buy Mode, <br />
    Scripts<br />
    Rabbit Holes<br />
    Annual Merges (HUGE merged files basically)<br />
    fix.package for TS3 decrapped store content<br />
    <br />
    i was hoping w/ S4 we could do the same setup, but apparently not. /sob

That bolded line right there, that's your issue. You need to read this and edit your resource file in order to have folders work properly.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    oh shoot so basically i missed a step. alright, let me try this and get back to you :D

edit: OMG i just realized this is what we did for our S3 resource.cfg. well jeez, no wonder. ok guys, im all set. im testing now.

edit 2: ok so i edited it and it causes the game to not start up with a file missing/damaged error. i put it back to the way it was and the game was fine, naturally.
    i mean i copied + pasted from the linked thread simfeetunder posted but ??????????

is it possible someone can test this/how id ideally like to setup my folder(s) and post their edited resource.cfg file to dl from dropbox/mediafire or something please?
    Post edited by JLynn22 on
    lookit my lousy sig
  • Options
    oh shoot so basically i missed a step. alright, let me try this and get back to you :D<br />
    <br />
    edit: OMG i just realized this is what we did for our S3 resource.cfg. well jeez, no wonder. ok guys, im all set. im testing now.<br />
    <br />
    edit 2: ok so i edited it and it causes the game to not start up with a file missing/damaged error. i put it back to the way it was and the game was fine, naturally.<br />
    i mean i copied + pasted from the linked thread simfeetunder posted but ??????????<br />
    <br />
    is it possible someone can test this/how id ideally like to setup my folder(s) and post their edited resource.cfg file to dl from dropbox/mediafire or something please?

That's really weird.
    Here, I uploaded mine.
    As previously mentioned though, I do not currently have subfolders more than the first level... I have Mods/Body but not like Mods/Body/Tattoos,
    But above your post Myre suggested adding another line to the resource file (which I did to mine) that should allow you to have another level of folders. I'm half asleep and need to go back to bed for a bit so I can't test that right now but it *should* work.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    sweet! thank you, ill definitely check this out as soon as i get back home. i left my screens up so i can do it right away. omg i hope this works, i just want my CC to be organized if we're going to be doing this like TS2 with 187386435876 recolors of everything basically. and my TS2 downloads folder was a MESS for forever basically. >[

edit: ok so it turns out, i need to have a resource.cfg in each base file under mods for my subfolders within them to show up in-game. wth?
    Post edited by JLynn22 on
    lookit my lousy sig