Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Extremely Disappointed!

I was so happy when I found out the other day that EA was making a Sims 4. I have been playing the Sims ever since the very beginning so I bought it this morning and could hardly wait until I got home to play it. When it finally finished installing I nearly jumped out of my seat because I was so excited. The moment it installed I created my person, I absolutely love the way you can shape your characters, but I was VERY sad that you couldn't customize your hair, eye color, clothes or anything! After I finished making my person I went to pick a house, only to find out that the open world I had come to know and love was no longer there. You only had about a handful of different houses to pick from and there are only about 4 community lots, an art museum, a club, the gym, a park and that's it.....SUPER disappointed! Then the different careers are also a let down, as soon as it is time for your character to go to work they disappear into oblivion until it is time for them to come home, and when they do come home their mood is completely depressed. Interactions between the many Sims of the world have improved, the multi-tasking is great! I really wish I would have bought this game digitally through the Origin store that way I could have returned it before my 24 hour window was up, but looks like I am stuck with this game and until they make MAJOR improvements I will be playing TS3 for the foreseeable future. So save yourself some money if you are debating buying this game because it is not work the money. Thanks EA for completely ruining this game for me.

Sincerely, a disappointed customer.

Comments

• MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    I'm sorry for your disappointment! A good reason to research before you buy. These boards have been exploding over all of this for the last couple of months. :(

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Luturna1313Luturna1313 Posts: 85 Member
    edited September 2014
    I feel your pain.. I did research.. I watched the trailers and demos and beta game play videos.. I signed up for it all.. and remembering how crazy everyone acted going from Sims 2 (which I loved) to Sims 3 which despite a "couple" of issue I also loved I thought for sure that Sims 4 would be the same.. the more video I saw the more excited I got, the more my apprehension lifted.. then 3 weeks ago I was like... screw it.. I love this game, I've loved each advancement.. so I ordered Sims 4 .. $ 80 (dam- plum) dollars... And I so wish I had waited. Unless you were nearly unable to play Sims 3 due to lag.. this game was NOT worth tossing the $600 (if you, like me owned all the EP's) spent on Sims 3 expecting Sims 4 to be 'next gen'.. to be 'More'.. it's not ... it's less.. sure it has some neat stuff but nothing compared to what it got rid of.. and yeah.. they might bring that stuff back.. a little at a time.. for yet another $600 .. or more, I've never doubled back on a Sims game.. Sims 2 brought us aging.. toddlers.. Sims 3 brought us open world adventures and cross world travel... Now .. we have $80 worth of questions, loading screens for anything beyond your Sims yard and bad customization options.. if I wanted to play sims 2 again .. I'd just reinstall it.
  • Cloud9Cloud9 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you Luturna1313! I feel EA regressed instead of progressed with TS4, I feel like it is TS2 all over again! I literally just found out about TS4 a few days ago so I didn't have much time to research but I figured because I own every Sims game ever to be made that TS4 would be epic! I really wish I could return it, I feel like I've completely wasted $80. The whole missing the pools doesn't bother me, but come on how does a baby go from a baby right to a child, it doesn't make sense. I loved the toddler stage! And with the world not being open you can't explore or do anything. Where is the bookstore, the hospital, the city hall, the library??? All those things are missing! I seriously wanted to cry because I was so disappointed. I feel like EA totally ripped everyone off and purposefully sold us an incomplete game just to make their deadline. I would have been so much happier if they would have pushed back the release date to make this game even better! And not to mention that they don't have any plans for a Mac release, I use a PC so it doesn't effect me, but still why not make it for all platforms! TS4 looks more like a mobile game.

Sorry for ranting, I am just so disappointed
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    edited September 2014
    This is actually what scares me... a lot of customers havent been on the forums to learn about whats missing from the game and EA sure isnt going to tell them.
  • Luturna1313Luturna1313 Posts: 85 Member
    Don't be sorry.. you spent the $80 as did I and if you aren't happy you have every right to express that. I can't stand those touting the game blindly while calling anyone who doesn't agree is a 'hater'. Even the 'reward' is an insult.. ONE lamp.. ONE pixel plumbob lamp.. different color for each Sims 3 game/Ep you own.. so if you own all it's like 12.. @ $40/$50 each.. that is nearly $600 spent on Sims 3.. and your 'reward' is one stupid lamp in a different color for each EP... it's just so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 insulting. You couldn't even make a different item for each EP.. a different lamp?? Shows what they think of their fan base if you ask me. Maybe it's Origins involvement.. who knows.. either way anyone who paid for this game and has played it has the RIGHT to complain and post their opinions without being called a 'hater' (EA is not your friend people, LOL)
  • ChrisOldfieldChrisOldfield Posts: 140 Member
    The main reason it regressed is that this was suppsoed to be an online only game, but they changed their mind when they realized no one wanted it (after the Sim City fiasco). As a result they salvaged what they could and added as many Sims 3 features that they could in the time left.

Now we all know that the open world and story progression would be the single hardest things to put in the game, so they were the first on the chopping block, and the ones that make us all feel the game has regressed as a result,

Other things like Create a Style, toddlers, pools, basements, and sculpting terrain will certainly make an appearnace again, in time, but they never should have been cut to begin with.

As for me, I am keeping my Sims 4. Mainly because as Luturna1313 said, "Unless you were nearly unable to play Sims 3 due to lag..." well, my machine can run Bioshock Infnite on ultra high setting, but for some reason due to courrupt saves and memory leaks, it won't run Sims 3, so I am kind of out of options unless I want to play Sims 2. While it is a good game, I feel it has not aged well so I will stick with 4.
    Thankfully I never had a problem with TS3 lagging, and I don't even have a high end gaming, just an average laptop that an average college student would have. I have no doubt that pools, toddlers and such will make an appearance BUT you are going to have to pay for them when they should have already been included in the base game! I think that it is ridiculous that they did a half a** job trying to save their behinds and salvaging what they could because the online thing wasn't working out. It just shows how much EA appreciates their customers. I seriously hope they do something to fix this or they are going to lose a lot of customers who were once avid and dedicated players of the Sims franchise.
    edited September 2014
    To be honest I do not see what made EA think that Sims 4 would be a great online experience. I can just imagine all the simmers having virtual woohoo together to have a child, the ESRB would have a hey day for certain. What were they thinking?
    Didn't they make a Sims Online once upon a time ago? And didn't it fail miserably? I am really starting to get fed up with EA. I remember when The Sims Medieval was first advertised I was so happy and it was a total epic fail, I played it once and after that never had the desire to play it again. Unless EA gets their act together I am just going to keep playing TS3 and not bother buying any more of their products.
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    Cloud9 wrote: »
    Didn't they make a Sims Online once upon a time ago? And didn't it fail miserably? I am really starting to get fed up with EA. I remember when The Sims Medieval was first advertised I was so happy and it was a total epic fail, I played it once and after that never had the desire to play it again. Unless EA gets their act together I am just going to keep playing TS3 and not bother buying any more of their products.

We dont talk about the sims online... EVER... In fact we pretend like it never happened :)
    Haha sorry for bringing it up! I think I was too young (I'm 23 now) when it came out and my parents wouldn't let me play and by the sound of it I am glad I didn't lol.
    As a I recall a guy named Frank Gabeau, a senior executive in EA, once bragged that he "never gave the green light to a game without an online feature." Somehow depite Mass Effect 3, whos multiplayer component dragged resourced away from the base game and helped contribute to a lower quality of an already rushed product, the fiasco of Sim City, and having to completely redesign Sims 4 as a reuslt of his personal philosophy, I believe he still works there.

That's the corporate world for you.

Not that I am saying the amn is a fool, I am merely using him as example of the EA mindset recently and the problems it created.
  • misselleau76misselleau76 Posts: 42 Member
    I really love it, I own every Sims game and expansion pack ever made.

The trick is to not compare, it's like kids, they are all different, but wonderful in their own way. We all know this one will grow, just as all the others have.
    I love that it feels a little like Sims 2, Sims 2 was always my favourite.
    For a base game, I think it's beautiful, and I love the simplicity, 3 or 4 expansion packs in, it starts getting so busy. If I wanted everything that was in Sims 3 and it's expansions.... I would just play Sims 3.
  • IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    This is actually what scares me... a lot of customers havent been on the forums to learn about whats missing from the game and EA sure isnt going to tell them.

I see alot of people on gamesites that i look at hype up for this game now (it comes out tomorrow here).
    But the only thing that made it to said news sites is the "no toddlers/pools" thing, So i feel like alot of them aren't knowing what they'll buy (maybe some do but still like the idea of it, i saw 1 person saying she had watched LP's yesterday during the american release and loved the look of it), but i'm sure that doesn't go for everyone in that comment section...
    I really felt tempted to make a comment and post that they should research before buying, but then i thought it might be too rude or i'd be viewed as a "hater" because i said something negetive about it, I'm sure those sites will end up giving shining reviews too though,
    most of the reviewers there aren't heavy simmers but love RPG's/grinding stuff, and from what i have seen the sims 4 seems to take abit more from that now then actuall simulation so idk... .

I followed this release closely, I wonnit to check if people got what they wished for in this game, many of you seem to be happy (wich is great) but it seems that there's also alot of people upset about this game, It makes me kinda happy i decided early on not to get my hopes up on this game (cause it wouldn't be my cup of tea either sadly)

• MoonCake212MoonCake212 Posts: 61 Member
    I was really disappointed but I still bought it to give it a shot.. it was a lot better then i expected I mean I do have moments where I'm just like "Really!?" but I have been playing it non-stop and I have been enjoying it so far!
  • baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »

yer would be a big kick to the balls if you didn't read up on the game

• Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    I know some people do not like cc but there are lots of maxi match recolours available already and these very rarely wreck the game like mods can.
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I was so happy when I found out the other day that EA was making a Sims 4. I have been playing the Sims ever since the very beginning so I bought it this morning and could hardly wait until I got home to play it. When it finally finished installing I nearly jumped out of my seat because I was so excited. The moment it installed I created my person, I absolutely love the way you can shape your characters, but I was VERY sad that you couldn't customize your hair, eye color, clothes or anything! After I finished making my person I went to pick a house, only to find out that the open world I had come to know and love was no longer there. You only had about a handful of different houses to pick from and there are only about 4 community lots, an art museum, a club, the gym, a park and that's it.....SUPER disappointed! Then the different careers are also a let down, as soon as it is time for your character to go to work they disappear into oblivion until it is time for them to come home, and when they do come home their mood is completely depressed. Interactions between the many Sims of the world have improved, the multi-tasking is great! I really wish I would have bought this game digitally through the Origin store that way I could have returned it before my 24 hour window was up, but looks like I am stuck with this game and until they make MAJOR improvements I will be playing TS3 for the foreseeable future. So save yourself some money if you are debating buying this game because it is not work the money. Thanks EA for completely ruining this game for me.<br />
    <br />

Now you see, I have problem with your post because all you have mentioned are the things 'missing' from the game which many of us knew prior to release. Considering you have bought the game and tried it, how come you haven't mentioned anything about the new gameplay ..... at all? Not a single word!

Sorry, but for me to take your post even a little seriously I would need more detailed information, unless you truly ARE a newcomer to the forum who apparently wasn't interested in learning anything at all about the new game they were intending to purchase and download from Origin.

Iffy..............sorry

• Hellbiter88Hellbiter88 Posts: 916 Member
    The new gameplay is actually really good--vastly improved. Build mode has been reworked and functions great for the most part, and the loading times are incredible. I don't think anyone's disputing that? BUT these people raise very valid concerns over the pricetag of this game and the content that's included for that price. I am in the "eh, it's okay" area myself. It feels rushed though, overall, and there's a ton of stuff missing.
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
  • ASimWenASimWen Posts: 2 New Member
    I am reserving judgement. This game is called The Sims, but it is a different game, and brings all the great things from TS2 and TS3 to the table and cuts the fat. On a day when you sit down to play, what do you want to do? What do you want to accomplish? Do you want to explore the tombs of Egypt, or do you want to work your Sims to the top of their career lickety split.....? Or do you want to struggle through the day just to keep a Sims needs up to do anything at all? (TS1, that is a dang hard game!). Bring up the appropriate version on the Sims and play it. I am a hardened old time Simmer. I was there to see Bob bouncing on his toes in his little house, and Betty joined him soon after. I reflect upon the Sims over the last decade, and yes, every new version of The Sims was just that. New. A different game. I have only played TS4 a couple of hours. I am amazed at the short load times, the fluid movement of my game on my laptop that is a supposed 'gaming machine' but does struggle slightly with TS3.

TS4 seems incredibly simple, but I am sure the more I play it I will discover more and more about it that I will love. Right now I am wondering how to skill up my Sim in her job. It was so easy in TS2 and TS3...I am sure it is just a matter of learning on my part. Yes, it is out of my comfort zone. But that is why we buy games, no? One of the first things I did was try to go to city view in this game to see what was there (like I am prone to constantly do in TS3). I couldn't find it. Ah well. Is it there? I dunno.

I am in for the long haul. TS2 and TS3 are still installed on my machine...I have story lines going in both of those games that I certainly will not abandon. I will just fire up which ever version of the Sims I feel like playing when I sit down after my busy day is over and it is time to relax.

*ASimWen climbs off her soapbox*

TaTa for now, and have fun everyone. :smiley:
  • NomPlayNomPlay Posts: 219 Member
    edited September 2014
    I think that teaches us the important lesson of researching a game before you buy it V_V

Also it sounds like you were expecting to see sims 3. It's not sims 3... it's sims 4.
    Sucom wrote: »
    I was so happy when I found out the other day that EA was making a Sims 4. I have been playing the Sims ever since the very beginning so I bought it this morning and could hardly wait until I got home to play it. When it finally finished installing I nearly jumped out of my seat because I was so excited. The moment it installed I created my person, I absolutely love the way you can shape your characters, but I was VERY sad that you couldn't customize your hair, eye color, clothes or anything! After I finished making my person I went to pick a house, only to find out that the open world I had come to know and love was no longer there. You only had about a handful of different houses to pick from and there are only about 4 community lots, an art museum, a club, the gym, a park and that's it.....SUPER disappointed! Then the different careers are also a let down, as soon as it is time for your character to go to work they disappear into oblivion until it is time for them to come home, and when they do come home their mood is completely depressed. Interactions between the many Sims of the world have improved, the multi-tasking is great! I really wish I would have bought this game digitally through the Origin store that way I could have returned it before my 24 hour window was up, but looks like I am stuck with this game and until they make MAJOR improvements I will be playing TS3 for the foreseeable future. So save yourself some money if you are debating buying this game because it is not work the money. Thanks EA for completely ruining this game for me.<br />
    <br />

Now you see, I have problem with your post because all you have mentioned are the things 'missing' from the game which many of us knew prior to release. Considering you have bought the game and tried it, how come you haven't mentioned anything about the new gameplay ..... at all? Not a single word!

Sorry, but for me to take your post even a little seriously I would need more detailed information, unless you truly ARE a newcomer to the forum who apparently wasn't interested in learning anything at all about the new game they were intending to purchase and download from Origin.

Iffy..............sorry

Why did you even bother to reply with your snarky comment if you couldn't take my post seriously? You want my post to include things about the actual game play? Fine here it is. Yes the build mode is slightly better, it is easier to re-position rooms and such but the controls are rather frustrating to learn and takes the fun out of building something. The camera options are horrible, with TS3 you could easily maneuver around and switch to a different angle, on TS4 you can't do that as easily. On TS3 all of the controls were nice and compact, now they are spread all over the place and I often find myself pausing in order to do something simple before resuming. Social interactions between Sims is neat with the multi-tasking but I find my sim trying to have conversations with everyone that is around her and it is hard to have a conversation with one person. The other parts of the multi-tasking are great, but that is only a small portion of the game that I actually liked. Going back to the build mode, I find it difficult to decorate my house because simple things, such as a towel rack, always want to end up near the ceiling and look ridiculous. Having windows at different heights seems a little silly, and not something that really contributes to the greatness that should have been TS4. One of the things I loved about TS3 was the open world, you could explore everything, however with TS4 you are strictly limited. Yeah when an EP comes out there will be more places, but why should I have to shell out even more cash for that when it came with the base game for TS3? To my TS4 wasn't very well thought out and I would have gladly waited longer to have a more well thought out game that didn't regress back to the stone age instead of progressing into the future.