Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The main problem I see with Sims 4 right now...

nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
I've formed this opinion from a little bit of playing and a lot of reading and discussion, mostly here on these forums.

So, here's the thing. There are no service NPCs. Your sims will get fat if they don't exercise frequently. And your sims will automatically learn Charisma during their first conversations.

This means there are at least four or five skills every sim has to learn and continue to build.

I can no longer have an "unhandy" sim, or an uncharismatic one, or a skinny but lazy one. And a cowardly one is pretty much doomed to DIAF, unless his diet mainly consists of autumn salad and bar snacks or something.

Since it looks like you can no longer create the wide variety of perfectly viable sims that you could in Sims 3, I'm afraid that Sims 4 might be severely lacking in long-term play value. Their traits and jobs may be different, but they'll pretty much all have mostly the same skills, skills that may not fit their particular character concepts at all.

This is a problem both for people who play single sims and for people who play long-running multi-generational legacies. Whether you're starting a new story or passing the baton to a new generation, this next sim will be going through most of the same routines as your previous one. The only real difference you can create is how he feels while going through the same motions.

Comments

• BokimbolBokimbol Posts: 503 Member
    If you play with just one Sim, yeah that could be a problem. Not much of one but a problem.
  • nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    Actually, it is a pretty serious problem if half the player base becomes bored with the new game quickly, and half of the remaining players just take a bit longer to get bored. Who'll buy all those expansions and all that store content?
  • kayla1686kayla1686 Posts: 1,697 Member
    So many valid points!

I haven't played the game because I am a mac user, but honestly even if I had a PC, I wouldn't buy it. It's clear just from reading reviews and watching gameplay that the game is completely rushed and unfinished. I would have rather waited another year and had a better game produced, but alas, EA likes their money.
  • justin5812justin5812 Posts: 632 Member
    nateslice wrote: »
    Your sims will get fat if they don't exercise frequently.

That's realistic though, is it not?
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I was surprised there is no repairman. Not exactly realistic.
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    This seems more like EA honestly... :P

No offense EA. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBRrCY5uhWY
    Penelope wrote: »

Well female sims have a full pregnancy in 5 days. That's not exactly realistic either. lol
    edited September 2014
    justin5812 wrote: »
    Your sims will get fat if they don't exercise frequently.

That's realistic though, is it not?

Not to the extent that I've seen described. And don't you know anyone who stays thin without exercising at all (as far as you can tell, anyway)? I've always known lots of people who do, myself included.
  • DiedrupoDiedrupo Posts: 206 Member
    Seems like massive nitpicking to me. Really, who cares if you can't have a lazy skinny sim anymore?
  • mikepurdy1234mikepurdy1234 Posts: 266 Member
    it is rushed, we all agree, and day 1 patch reflects that. but there needs to be a LOT more patches and I'm sure there will be. I'm not so much excited about the EP or SP as I am about the patches that will "fine tune" the game to what it could be and should be.

I don't care that saying hello to a room mate causes me to have a charisma skill or watching the cooking channel causes me to have cooking skill 1. I actually think that in real life after watching the food network I always say "I could make that". so I think it IS realistic to have skill level 1 after a single instance of talking to someone or watching something. I do see a problem if there is a stunt channel and you get a inspired emotion after watching that, I don't want my sim jumping out of a window.
    Diedrupo wrote: »
    Seems like massive nitpicking to me. Really, who cares if you can't have a lazy skinny sim anymore?

It can be irritating.

Well, you also can't have an uncharismatic one, unless he avoids all human contact. And you can't have an unhandy one, unless you're willing to shell out the simoleons to replace all your stuff every couple of weeks or so.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm having a heck of a time making friends -- I need 4 friends to get my next promotion and while I've met a lot of people, there's no time to really make friends with any of them by the time you go to work then go home. In Sims 3, I'd have my Sim stay in town and have a bite at the diner, then he or she could meet friends at the park or one of the community lots, and then later after Late Night a bar or club. Maybe I'm just not doing something right, but my Sim is likely destined to die alone and unloved, and stuck at level 2 Entertainer for the rest of her life. :\
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • AshcarrAshcarr Posts: 383 Member

I kind of care. As a lazy, skinny person myself I'm kind of sad that I can't really play "me".
    it is rushed, we all agree, and day 1 patch reflects that. but there needs to be a LOT more patches and I'm sure there will be. I'm not so much excited about the EP or SP as I am about the patches that will "fine tune" the game to what it could be and should be.

I don't care that saying hello to a room mate causes me to have a charisma skill or watching the cooking channel causes me to have cooking skill 1. I actually think that in real life after watching the food network I always say "I could make that". so I think it IS realistic to have skill level 1 after a single instance of talking to someone or watching something. I do see a problem if there is a stunt channel and you get a inspired emotion after watching that, I don't want my sim jumping out of a window.

Personally, I really liked the way Charisma was handled in Sims 3. If you wanted a charismatic sim, you had to make a conscious decision to learn the skill. My favorite sim in Sims 3 was an author with Shy and Hates The Outdoors. There was no reason for him to have Charisma. So, he didn't, despite having to talk to people from time to time.
  • AshcarrAshcarr Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm having a heck of a time making friends -- I need 4 friends to get my next promotion and while I've met a lot of people, there's no time to really make friends with any of them by the time you go to work then go home. In Sims 3, I'd have my Sim stay in town and have a bite at the diner, then he or she could meet friends at the park or one of the community lots, and then later after Late Night a bar or club. Maybe I'm just not doing something right, but my Sim is likely destined to die alone and unloved, and stuck at level 2 Entertainer for the rest of her life. :\

Lmao, I'm having the same problem. I'm like, "Oh this conversation is going splendidly. Look at all those double + relationship boosts! Oh, never mind. It was a tiny blip and now I need to send her home to sleep."
  • katwastakenkatwastaken Posts: 410 Member

Since it looks like you can no longer create the wide variety of perfectly viable sims that you could in Sims 3, I'm afraid that Sims 4 might be severely lacking in long-term play value. Their traits and jobs may be different, but they'll pretty much all have mostly the same skills, skills that may not fit their particular character concepts at all.

This is a problem both for people who play single sims and for people who play long-running multi-generational legacies. Whether you're starting a new story or passing the baton to a new generation, this next sim will be going through most of the same routines as your previous one. The only real difference you can create is how he feels while going through the same motions.

I'm not sure I agree, because all the sim games were kinda repetitive in that way.. but I think you have made an interesting point.
    Origin ID: katwastaken

tumblr_msxcldE8D71s596ako1_250.gif
  • RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    justin5812 wrote: »

Well female sims have a full pregnancy in 5 days. That's not exactly realistic either. lol

Yes, but it needs to be realistic within reason. A repairman makes sense, but waiting an actual 9 months for your Sim to pop out a baby would be a long bloody wait.
    edited September 2014
    I'm not sure I agree, because all the sim games were kinda repetitive in that way.. but I think you have made an interesting point.

True, Kat, but you could at least play a shy bookworm who didn't exercise or fix his own stuff. Now, it looks like you can't do that unless you want him to get fat and spend a huge chunk of his income replacing broken sinks and refuse to talk to anybody.

You could have one generation's heir focus on Athletics and Charisma, then the next concentrate on Writing and Painting. There's enough of a difference in those two playstyles to keep things fresh. But now your writer/painter will also spend time building up Athletics and Charisma. He just won't like it as much, and it'll also take time away from his arts. And both of them will have to spend time building up Handiness.

I think it'll really aggravate the repetitiveness you're talking about.
  • xtinagaga97xtinagaga97 Posts: 600 Member
    I just want my woohooable NPCs back!
    giphy.gif
  • GazpachoidGazpachoid Posts: 372 Member
    the charisma thing is pretty realistic. everyone in real life gains social skills (charisma) the more they talk to people/strangers. if you dont want your sim to be charismatic for some reason, you simply dont talk to almost anyone. and i didnt know about the sim getting fat without exercise thing!! if thats 100% true that sucks, but in the prev games, it was only when you ate too much that your sim gets fat.

by the way, im probably getting the game by tomorrow so i havent played it. i have a question, are there townies? or are the only sims in the neighborhoods the ones that live in a house?
  • GazpachoidGazpachoid Posts: 372 Member
    are there maids?
    edited September 2014
    Gazpachoid wrote: »
    are there maids?

There are maids, yes. I think it's only because the devs decided they didn't want to put in a Cleaning skill.

As for the Charisma thing, my Sims 4 sim gained the first level of Charisma by walking up to a random dude and saying, "Hi, I'm Cassandra", followed by "How's your day going?". If it were that easy to become charismatic, I'd be the President right now because I greet people that way all the time.

Well, except I don't say my name is Cassandra.
  • CrazySimGirl23CrazySimGirl23 Posts: 5 New Member
    [quote="Penelope;12560665"]I was surprised there is no repairman. Not exactly realistic. [/quote]

I'm really not feeling a lot of things in this game, the realistic aspect of it seems to be gone, I feel like I'm playing the first sims and sims 2 all over again, 2009 to 2014 was plenty of time to produce a decent game and I'm not impressed:/ hopefully 5 they will release some patches and updates because right now I'm not feeling I got my $80 bucks worth for this deluxe game! :(
  • CrazySimGirl23CrazySimGirl23 Posts: 5 New Member
    Like no cars? No walking around your town? Wth??