Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should have known better...

cujojaxcujojax Posts: 12 New Member
Its my own fault, I have been fooled by EA before.
The original Sims was basically my intro to getting into computer games, I loved it.
Played all 3 extensively, didn't bat and eye when it came to pre ordering the collectors edition for TS4, but the writing was on the wall when they chose not to hand out many copies for media to review. Had I read but one honest review of this before hand I would have spoken with CLOSING my wallet.

There is just so much missing from the game I am actually confused why they released it. You would think after SimCity (which got me too) the Mass Effect ending fiasco, getting voted worst company two years in a row, they would have done more for their loyal fans.
I understand there will be paid DLC, like a whole lot of it, but come on, there are some very basic things that are not included in a base game for 70 bucks? You cant gloss over the fact that because Sims now have emotions that we can overlook everything that came before. Its 2014, TS4 should be a massive step forward, but this feels like a huge step back.

First thing I notice is there is no pitch control which drives me nuts! You have to zoom all the way in, the controls feel very awkward.
EDIT: You are able to revert to the TS3 default camera, middle mouse pitch button in game options

You actually give your sims less traits in creator?
Losing story progression, small-heavy loading screen towns? No control over jobs? Lack of jobs in the first place; where are the classics, athlete, law, army? Picking from a handful of preset colors and patterns. Things like simple appliances missing.

I wont beat a dead horse about pools and toddlers missing but those hurt. (Some people say they chose to skip that part, which is fine since you could scale how many days one stayed at the age bracket in TS3, thus almost skipping it if you wanted anyways)
Things like seasons and pets should be standard now, a 70 buck game and Ill have to pay 30 to add those things I really was hoping was a thing of the past.
I get if you want to add new items, clothing, but a basic lack of features is a killer.

I dont know, I could play all night before and only realize I had because the sun was coming up, but a few hours in, I'm here on the forums, bored already.
EA this is simply unacceptable at this point. I will be returning this game until you admit its not finished or plan to have content added that wont nickle and dime me to death. Stop being so stubborn all the time.
As a review, graphics are great, I always enjoyed them though, house building is a big step forward, but in all honesty you better off continuning to play TS2 or TS3 with all your expansions until they annonce 5 and you can buy the entire Ts4 bundle and all its updates.

TL;DR save your money for now, OP never learned his lesson that anything with EA on it is nothing but a headache.
Post edited by cujojax on

Comments

• MckinneyMiniMckinneyMini Posts: 456 Member
    I am feeling the same.
  • cujojaxcujojax Posts: 12 New Member
    edited September 2014
    @ DeerLord, thanks I believe I mentioned that.. However reading notes is one thing, to have actual reviewers get their hands on it and tell you how it plays is another. Can you give me one good reason why a company would choose not to do this if other then they were aware it would get negative feedback? I
    @haburbian the problem is the only chance I can give them is 24 hours in the return window, so while I have always loved the Sims franchise and want it to succeed (the reasoning of my OP) if I DO NOT return it, Im basically stating that Im ok with the state of the game.
    @Jadedsins
    1) I think thats part of the issue, you would expect a new entry to the franchise to build on what they had, so keep what was good and add things like the new emotions
    2) If the sims are not going to an actual place of work in this game, would it have been too much to ask they keep the original jobs as well?
    3) fair enough
    4) The core of the game is fun thats what we all love, some of the expansions I do believe are worth the money, but there are always just so many and with a hefty tag I dont see how anyone can justify having to pay for them all. Maybe add a seasons pass out of the gate that includes them
    I am hoping with feedback things will improve but at this point I feel like it is better to wait it out and see how it shakes out.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited September 2014
    I think you are disappointed because you have blindly bought the game or else you would have known about the traits, the jobs or CASt. That makes your first impression not accurate. Its al right to say the game feels empty because of lack of these things but you need to give us your impression on what the game has to offer. It offers nothing? Can't be, there must be few small things you can share, be it positive or negative.

For example one of the players said his sim got married but the wife left the house with the guests!! She didn't even had her name changed. LOL!!
    Now THAT is a new thing we were not aware and we would like you to tell us about :D

But I have to thank you for taking the time and writing your first impression to us. Please do play it more and report back.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • JohnBlackJohnBlack Posts: 115 Member
    They couldn't even manage to put in carpool and school buses in the game??

I agree on the simplistic things. Why? Not because of gurus I don't blame them I blame only the money hungry corporation that is EA. Whoever is the head president over there needs to be fired and replaced. He or she should have given the developers, programmers, etc. more time even if it meant delaying it until 2015 to make it as perfect as they could if they are trying to keep the core gamers for this franchise to continue paying hard earned money from their pockets.
  • cujojaxcujojax Posts: 12 New Member
    @johnBlack It really is all about the little things., or lack there of in this case.
    On the price point, I just think a 70 buck game when you know you need at an extra 60ish minimum before it begins to feel compete is a bit shady.
    We saw what the community was able to do for Mass Effect and SimCity, I think someone at the company listens, eventually.
    But it always comes down to the almighty dollar.
    @halimai While is is true I near 90% blindly bought the game, I did do some reading yet still failed to see how bare bones the launch was. Ya the character creator was awesome sure, but that hardly counts as gameplay.
    I have been a fanboy from previous iterations, I had no reason to expect there wouldn't be more forward progress. While some is clear, there is to much not present to make up for it.

I will play today before writing it off and hopefully can come back with some more positive/negative impressions before writing it off.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    cujojax wrote: »
    @johnBlack It really is all about the little things., or lack there of in this case.<br />
    On the price point, I just think a 70 buck game when you know you need at an extra 60ish minimum before it begins to feel compete is a bit shady. <br />
    We saw what the community was able to do for Mass Effect and SimCity, I think someone at the company listens, eventually.<br />
    But it always comes down to the almighty dollar. <br />
    @halimai While is is true I near 90% blindly bought the game, I did do some reading yet still failed to see how bare bones the launch was. Ya the character creator was awesome sure, but that hardly counts as gameplay. <br />
    I have been a fanboy from previous iterations, I had no reason to expect there wouldn't be more forward progress. While some is clear, there is to much not present to make up for it. <br />
    <br />
    I will play today before writing it off and hopefully can come back with some more positive/negative impressions before writing it off.

It happens when we have high expectations. I was not impressed with the Sims 3 at all too. But I would always advice you to read extensively specially about Sims games.

This game has been like a roller coaster to me with the ups and downs. Right now I'm waiting for my game to arrive with no expectations. I know what things are missing. I just want to know more what things, positives, negatives, bugs and stuff like that are there.

I will be looking forward to your final impression.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    You can revert to sims 3 type controls It looks like you have not bothered to find out about the game there is so much info re whats in whats out cheats and controls.
    This just looks like re hashed complaints.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Glad I'm not getting this game. Saved me 600$ in the long-run. Better buy more stuff packs for TS3! See ya!
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • JeymarJeymar Posts: 1 New Member
    Plain and simple. I have asked for a refund. Now let's see if either Origin or EA (aren't they the same?) will hold true on their word on refunding an unsatisfied customer.

Why should I content myself with a skeleton when I have a fat beef to feed on. Unless I decide to become a scavenger? Crap is crap no matter how you want to embellish it.
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    cujojax wrote: »
    @johnBlack It really is all about the little things., or lack there of in this case.<br />
    On the price point, I just think a 70 buck game when you know you need at an extra 60ish minimum before it begins to feel compete is a bit shady. <br />
    We saw what the community was able to do for Mass Effect and SimCity, I think someone at the company listens, eventually.<br />
    But it always comes down to the almighty dollar. <br />
    @halimai While is is true I near 90% blindly bought the game, I did do some reading yet still failed to see how bare bones the launch was. Ya the character creator was awesome sure, but that hardly counts as gameplay. <br />
    I have been a fanboy from previous iterations, I had no reason to expect there wouldn't be more forward progress. While some is clear, there is to much not present to make up for it. <br />
    <br />

Thanks for sharing your observations.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • ChelleBaldyChelleBaldy Posts: 262 Member
    last night when I was watching Twitch someone turned their pitch control back on. It was just in settings
  • stewielover1992stewielover1992 Posts: 308 Member
    edited September 2014
    The reason why you choose less traits in CAS is because you gain different traits through gameplay. For example, I think you gain an introvert trait if you don't socialize for 24 hours. So you can end up with a lot more than just 3 or 4 traits.

While there aren't many traditional career tracks, there are more in the sims 4 base game. There are 16 different career tracks, and there were 14 in the sims 3 base game. You have control over your jobs in sims 4. You can choose: leave work early, work hard, take risks, take it easy, make connections, normal.
  • RadprofileRadprofile Posts: 161 Member
    The reason why you choose less traits in CAS is because you gain different traits through gameplay. For example, I think you gain an introvert trait if you don't socialize for 24 hours. So you can end up with a lot more than just 3 or 4 traits.

One of my sims got that one, is a painter who almost never leave the house LOL!

• keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member

While there aren't many traditional career tracks, there are more in the sims 4 base game. There are 16 different career tracks, and there were 14 in the sims 3 base game. You have control over your jobs in sims 4. You can choose: leave work early, work hard, take risks, take it easy, make connections, normal.

The choosing what to do at work thing isn't new, but yeah there's more to do with work than there ever was before.
  • smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    In all honesty, I have been waiting for this moment to say: I TOLD YOU BEFORE! >:)

Someone has to say it lol
  • smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I disagree about someone playing a new game can't make their decision within a few hours. That's bull. Yes, they can. When I buy a new game, I know within the first thirty minutes if I want to continue with it (AS IS) or dump it. A game should knock your socks off within the first hour. That's the rule of thumb. If it doesn't then it's more tedious and boring than you first believed after watching trailers, and or let's play or whatever. A game needs to hook the player, and if they player is looking around thinking, nah, this isn't all that great no matter the reason the game has failed to impress. That's why a lot of games only give the player a one hour trial, it better hook them during that trial or they aren't buying. EA gave players a 24 hours trail period, and it's fair to say if they aren't hooked within the first hour or so, then no it will never be as great as EA claimed. You have to close the deal while the deal is hot, and a lot of players are not seeing what is so amazing, and unfortunately we tried to tell people this isn't a game originally for PC but a hybrid of some sort, but alas, they had to find out the hard way.

I was hooked on all the first ones within a few hours. The Sims 3 got me hooked without me even realising in fact, despite the issues here and there I found I just couldn't go back to TS2 even when I tried to