Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm So Confused About Story Progression

I hear lots of tales on the forums of "story progression did this" "Story progression did that" but in my games it doesn't seem to do much at all. I have nobody randomly moving about or having children round the town and quite frankly I'm feeling a little left out.

All of my patches are up to date. I'm using one mod which reduces the time it takes to do homework. I use I CC hair and one skin CC (peggy, I think). The game I'm playing atm is in Riverview.

Do I need to take a patch off or something to make story progression work?

Comments

• Options
    hippiedippie927hippiedippie927 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited September 2009
    Same for me! I thought I was the only one :roll: Nobody moves, nobody has babies, no death notices....nada! Well, I did have one thing happen....I built a house and left it empty cuz my sim could not afford it yet. The next day there was a family living in my house! :? But other than that, nothing much happens. :(
  • Options
    dagda24dagda24 Posts: 341 Member
    edited September 2009
    I've had marriages, and deaths, but no random babies and nobody moving around.

I keep having to repopulate the place with sims from my bin.
  • Options
    FatalTemptressFatalTemptress Posts: 757 New Member
    edited September 2009
    All story progression seems to be doing for me is killing off random toddlers, which is actually rather frustrating. =/ There seems to be at least one toddler death per week or so.
  • Options
    SharkloverPlayerSharkloverPlayer Posts: 2,849 New Member
    edited September 2009
    It's the latest patch that causess this.1.4 breaks story progression.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I thought I'd read something about that. Do you have to completely uninstall to fix it, or is there a way to remove the patch? OR, is there a fix for it somewhere?
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited September 2009
    The game I'm playing at this time was started after all the patches were installed. I don't know if that has anything to do with how my story progression works or not.
    I have sims doing all kinds of stuff when I'm not playing them. I'm rotating through several households.
    I don't have any mods or cc but that may not have anything to do with it.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    poida217poida217 Posts: 2,872 Member
    edited September 2009
    I've noticed ever since I've changed the lifespan of my sims from normal to long that there has been a lot more "activity" in the neighbourhood in regards to sims moving in, getting married and having kids.
    24891575472_e27b0a3fc3_o.gif
  • Options
    DarkFireFlyDarkFireFly Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited September 2009
    poida217 wrote:
    I've noticed ever since I've changed the lifespan of my sims from normal to long that there has been a lot more "activity" in the neighbourhood in regards to sims moving in, getting married and having kids.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I may try that-although one of my elders is already 100, so maybe they're trying it without me. After I re-installed, and repatched, I was wondering if the ghost town effect would start up, but not so far. This whole story progression thing is confusing to me, especially as so many of us have very different experiences with it.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    dagda24 wrote:
    I thought I'd read something about that. Do you have to completely uninstall to fix it, or is there a way to remove the patch? OR, is there a fix for it somewhere?

You have to completly uninstall the game and reinstall it.After reinstalling don't download any patches and your story progression will be fine.The only problem thou is you won't be able to cut story progression off.
  • Options
    Lapepe1Lapepe1 Posts: 414 New Member
    edited September 2009
    For some reason, one of my sim's close friends won't get married. She's been engaged for a couple sim weeks and will be an elder soon. But for some reason everyone else is doing fine. My sim's sister Cassie just had her 7th child. :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    All story progression seems to be doing for me is killing off random toddlers, which is actually rather frustrating. =/ There seems to be at least one toddler death per week or so.

Now that you mention it......my sim had 2 babies who live with the "townie" mother. Yesterday one of the babies was gone. How do you find out if it died?

I've always played with "epic" lifespan.

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Now that you mention it......my sim had 2 babies who live with the "townie" mother. Yesterday one of the babies was gone. How do you find out if it died?

You can check the family tree of the babies, if they've died, they'll appear as a ghost. That or you can check the papers, there's always an article for Sims who have passed away. All my toddlers have drowned so far. :shock:
  • Options
    edited September 2009

You can check the family tree of the babies, if they've died, they'll appear as a ghost. That or you can check the papers, there's always an article for Sims who have passed away. All my toddlers have drowned so far. :shock:

That's part of my problem....my sim reads the paper every day and there has never been a death notice on anyone!! :( Not even his own child!!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Check his family tree the toddler will be grey meaning it died.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

That's part of my problem....my sim reads the paper every day and there has never been a death notice on anyone!! :( Not even his own child!!

Strange. Problem is, when they die while in a different household, you're unable to retrieve the gravestone due to a glitch. So there's no hope of bringing them back to life. :?
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Strange. Problem is, when they die while in a different household, you're unable to retrieve the gravestone due to a glitch. So there's no hope of bringing them back to life. :?

Very odd, indeed!! I just checked his family and supposedly the child is still alive :shock: But yesterday, the child was nowhere to be found! :?: :?:
    I'm going to go look for the child again.....I'll let you know if he reappears today! :roll:
  • Options
    shay480shay480 Posts: 880 Member
    edited September 2009

Have you tried resetting him?

"I'm hungry! Bring me a neighbor!"
    b9b8f6e8.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Good luck! (:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Another thought, can your sim not ring the child and invite him round???
  • Options
    KayBeaKayBea Posts: 388 New Member
    edited September 2009
    If your getting frustrated with story progression there are two free mods that can fix it. The awesome mod at moreawesomethanyou.com and indie stone at mod the sims. I use them both together and my neighborhood sims are always getting married, moving in together (unlike normal story progression, I no longer have to hunt the father down and move him in), and having children. Plus if you decide that you want things to move faster or slower you can change it while your playing. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited September 2009
    I have noticed some of my sims will move out of the house and my sim can still invite them over and get them to move back in but I can't find out where they live. When in edit town view some of the empty lots will have the empty house icon instead of the empty lot icon. I have gone to those lots and don't find anyone there. When building a new house, those lots aren't available. I have wondered if that is the games way of storing the sims that moved out. I know that doesn't make much sense.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It just keeps getting weirder :shock: Today I go to the mother's house and voila:

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/789/942/001/00/screenshot_original.jpg "height=450" "width=600"[/img]

The "missing" child is the blue one who (as you can see) is no longer missing! :?: Yesterday I played for 10 straight hours and that kid was nowhere to be found!! :roll: Mom was there, little sis was there, all the roommates were there......they must have had him hid in a closet! :P Anyway, thanks for all your help guys :oops:
  • Options
    Uroica69Uroica69 Posts: 30 Member
    edited September 2009
    I have had people move in together as roommates, but no one ever gets married. There are plenty of babies being born in town, but the parents are never together. I have all the patches, some custom content from the Store and a couple of mods. Everything else seems to run just fine. The latest patch doesn't do what it said it should, which doesn't really bother me. I just wish that couples would actually get married instead of being bf/gf all their lives.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    edited September 2009

How did you find out they drowned? Was it stated as such in the newspaper? Wow, I've had Elders die (a lot lately, but then again my own 4th Gen. Sim is Elderly, too). I'm not aware of any children dying in my game, but lately I've not read of any births, either. I had no problem with my family members moving out and carrying on afterwards. One Sim had been taken by the Social Worker (due to the dreaded teach-toddler-to-talk-and-get-stuck-indefinitely glitch) but he went on to be adopted by a family in town, later married and had children.

Yet, after the latest patch I was alerted by others that births just aren't happening. I've just started a separate town (the other is my Legacy family) to see if the patch behaves differently there. I know other patches in Sims2 wouldn't apply to any families in use prior to the patche's installation, but new families would be affected by it. Could be the same here, as others have posited.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited September 2009
    I run with no cc, and I have activity even with the patches.. lets see a new famiy moved in and shortly after one of them married an oletimer family. I have babies being born in some families. One family moved out, i find this due to their lack of getting a job mainly. still there are kinks in the story progression, for instance they might marry, and have children, but live in 2 different houses. I have heard that cc messes this up some, and I have heard it helps some, so I guess it all depends on what who and where.