Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Vote Time!]: For Love Or Money

ladybastillaladybastilla Posts: 172 Member
4loveormoney1_zpsed085a50.png

Click here to visit the For Love Or Money blog. :)

The Premise:

Anthony and Camille Spark have a problem.

Their three children, Lucas, Matthew, and Sasha, seem incapable of getting married. Whether hindered by shyness, devotion to their career, or just plain stubbornness, it doesn't seem to be happening.

So, what are a billionaire movie producer and his ex-actress wife to do? Simple: coerce their reluctant offspring into falling in love on national TV! With the right incentive, Anthony and Camille are certain they can get Lucas, Matthew, and Sasha to give it a try.

But then the question becomes... Will each sibling's quest be For Love Or Money?

Episodes:

This will be where episodes will be listed once the game launches and I have some to actually show. :)

How It Works:

There are three Spark children, so I am hoping to do at least three seasons of story. Each sibling will be placed into a house with three potential mates, and the storylines I will attempt to capture in game will share the good, the bad, and the hilarious as they try to figure out who is here for true love, who is here for money, and who has just plain gotten more than they bargained for.

This isn't like "The Bachelor", where someone's getting the boot each week. I want to develop rich, interesting characters who have interesting backgrounds and who have challenges to face not just from being on a Reality Show, but from aspects of their character and their life as a whole. I want the decision of who each season's "Star" should be with to be something which is (at least initially) difficult to decide.

I am hoping to have the community get involved in two ways:

(1) By having people nominate sims as contestants and having the community vote in who has been "cast" on the show from a series of (hopefully) finalists. (I want to make sure I don't get weird stuff like a purple afro'd sim named Justin Beiber, for example. But I also don't really want to premake all the contestants 100% myself, because I'm bound to get attached to one and that will mess this up.)

(2) By having the community vote on major decisions or ideas when there are multiple ways that I can make the story go. I'll do *something* if I don't get feedback, but this will be a lot more fun if I can get people involved.

Meet The Star of Season One:

lucas1_zpsac3fc73d.png
Name: Lucas Spark
Career: Tech / Entrepreneur
Aspiration: Soul Mate (Trait: Alluring)
Traits: Loner, Family Oriented, Geeky.

Backstory:

The eldest of the three Spark siblings, Lucas is also the most reliable. Quiet and a bit of a loner, he's had great interest in modern technology from an early age. His ability to master new devices has allowed him to rise quickly in the field of programming, and he has proven time and again that there is more to him than his parents' wealth and fame.

But despite his personal success, Lucas is extremely loyal to his family and their business, Spark Studios. Anthony is getting older, and in time it will fall to Lucas to take his place on the board of directors. Someone has to ensure that the studio does not lose its focus and purpose. It is this family loyalty, and this acknowledgement of his duty, which has landed Lucas in his current situation.

Anthony and Camille have told Lucas that in order for him to take his place on the board, he must first prove that he is mature enough to maintain a committed and loving relationship. After all: if he cannot overcome his shyness enough to meet a nice woman and have a family, how can he expect to command the attention and respect of the other board members of Spark Studios?

Lucas wants to be stuck talking to people at board meetings about as much as he'd like to run for President. But he would love to find someone worth spending his life with more than pretty much anything in the world. Will Lucas sabotage his parents' scheming to avoid claiming his father's legacy? Or will he find the strength to tell Anthony and Camille how he really feels about the position? Is there any possible way his parents' crazy Reality TV show can help him find true love?

Find out in Season One of For Love Or Money!

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

Update: (09/04/2014:) Voting has officially begun! Please see the next post down for full details! Good luck, everyone! :)
Post edited by ladybastilla on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    4loveban1_zpsda6ada0d.png
    It's Time To Vote!

The time to decide who will meet Lucas and potentially win his heart has finally arrived. Over the last week or so, we have received 11 (!!!) applications, not including my sample character, Megan. (She will not be competing here. See the third-to-last post on Page 2, from September 2nd, to find out why. Don't worry, you will see more of her. Just not as a contestant here.)

How Voting Will Work:

Each poster on the forums is free to cast his or her vote for the three characters he or she would like to see take the available spots. You can only vote for each character once. You can't give all three votes to the same character. (Just to make that 100% clear.) I'm doing it this way because I'm guesstimating that many of the voters are going to be people who made characters, and this seems more logical than closing voting to creators since you guys are the most invested people in this.

All you need to do is reply to the thread with your top three choices. I will update this post to reflect how many votes characters have received. As stated before, voting will stay open until Monday, September 8th at 7 p.m. EST. Good luck, everyone!

Meet The Nominees!

#1: Evelia Amore (Votes: 2)
    by: #xJDLKx
    Applicant Post Location: Page 1, post #7

#2: Anna Brooks (Votes: 4)
    by: #Aware210
    Applicant Post Location: Page 1, post #9

#3: Zelda Lily Winters (Votes: 9)
    by: #elektronicparadox
    Applicant Post Location: Page 1, post #11

#4: Vanessa Madigan (Votes: 5)
    by: #Southernbelle1283
    Applicant Post Location: Page 1, post #12

#5: Charlotte Staple (Votes: 4)
    by: #VirtualHamsta
    Applicant Post Location: Page 1 post #13; picture: post #14

#6: Mausea Twitchford (Votes: 2)
    by: #Pinstar1161
    Applicant Post Location: Page 2 post #2

#7: Amber Taylor (Votes: 6)
    by: #tammi222
    Applicant Post Location: Page 2 post #4 ; picture: post #10

#8: Jessie (Jessica) Steele (Votes: 8)
    by: #Sparkle
    Applicant Post Location: Page 2 post #13

#9: Maria Lee (Votes: 1)
    by: Rawla
    Applicant Post Location: Page 2 post #14

#10: Kitaya Neo (Votes: 4)
    by: #Raptorrowan
    Applicant Post Location: Page 2 post #17; picture post page 3, #6

#11: Juliet Keeler (Votes: 1)
    by: #ZapGirl
    Applicant Post Location: Page 3 post #2; picture post #7

As of September 4th, 2014: (Please Note: Applications for Season One are now *closed*. Thank you!)

I'm looking for three sims to be contestants on the first season of For Love Or Money. They will have the opportunity to stay in a mansion affectionately known as "The Love Shack", which will be decorated and furnished to fulfill the needs of its chosen occupants. The show gets it's name from the fact that, in addition to trying to win the Star (in this case Lucas), each contestant is provided with ample opportunity to help further their own life. (Anthony and Camille have lots of connections in different circles, the house is equipped with lots of useful things, each contestant receives money for leaving their normal life and doing this, etc.)

I thought it would be more fun if I got the community involved in deciding who would go into the house, rather than just making the characters from scratch myself. I might put up a couple of my own choices / creations, but in the end the three who get in will be voted for by (and hopefully created by) you guys. :)

I will be giving credit to whoever ends up with their sim(s) on the show, and will be happy to link to your blog, simblr, thread on here, etc. on that sim's profile page on my blog.

So, you think you know a sim who would like to be on For Love Or Money? That's great! Please take some time to tell us about her! :)

Contestant Application:

Picture)s) would be extremely useful. (If you don't have image rights yet, you can post a link.)

Name: This is pretty obvious. :)

Age: (Going to assume these are Young Adult sims, but lets be sure.)

Career / Major Goal: (Astronaut, big family, whatever.)

Aspiration: (Your sim's actual game-driven goal; it would be nice to know what trait comes with it.)

Traits: The personality quirks that make your specific sim tick.

Character Background: Take a look at what I did for Lucas, or what I have up for Matt and Sasha on my website. This just shows me where the sim has come from and what their deal is.

Why They Want To Be On The Show?: Pretty simple, really. What made them sign up? Are they a struggling art student who hopes to use For Love Or Money as a free place to live while they create their ultimate masterpiece? Are they an undercover journalist who wants to expose the underlying psychological damage that being on a show like this can cause? Are they a villain who wants to use the show as a cover for other, more dastardly deeds? The sky is the limit, let your imagination run wild.

What is your character's pre-show opinion of Lucas?: They've seen a picture of him, know that he is rich, and know that he is into computers. Depending on the background of your sim, I'm totally fine with them potentially knowing anything else that I implied in his background. (That he's next in line to help run Spark Studios, that he's shy, that he doesn't want to run a studio, details about either of his siblings that are on my website, etc.)

Anything Else You Can Think Of: If you have ideas for story events for this character, suggestions about my project in general, or anything else you'd like to say... I'd love to hear it. Please feel free to share. :)

Timeline: (Upadated 08 / 29 / 2014)

Sims can apply as contestants from now until midnight (EST) on Wednesday, September 3rd 2014.

Provided that enough sims have applied, a vote will be held to choose the three which will be Lucas potential love interests. The vote will be put up on Thursday September 4th in the afternoon and will run until Monday, September 8th at 7 p.m. (EST).

I have decided to extend the dates because (1) I noticed some interest from people who needed more time for their PC / the game / etc. and (2) I'm going to need time to finish up the website, get proper images of the characters, build the house for them to live in, and learn the game.

Thanks for your patience and please feel free to get involved. There's still loads of time! :)
  • Options
    15MagPies15MagPies Posts: 416 Member
    This looks really fun! I'm not so great at making sims, so I probably won't submit anyone, but I'd definitely vote once you get some options. :) And I'll be reading it once you get started.
  • Options
    RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    I'll be lurking too. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Let's get the ball rolling, shall we? Here's one of the sims I've come up with if I need her.

megan2_zps1291fe9b.png

Name: Megan Sinclair

Career: Songwriter

Aspiration: Music Star (She wants to be a country singer.) (Bonus Trait: Muser)

Traits: Music Lover, Ambitious, Creative

Character Background:

For as long as I can remember, I've only loved two things: my guitar and Clay Freeman. Like it's so often said, one thing lead to another. But now, I may have to give up both forever.

It started innocently enough. I was first introduced to Clay when my brother, Mitch, played me a demo he sent in to our family's music studio, Dazzle Records. He had a great voice, but the music was so weak! So I re-wrote it and sent it back to him. He got picked up, of course.

That lead to us collaborating on a lot of stuff. This was great for me, because my music got noticed and I had an excuse to talk to the guy of my dreams. But of course, there was a catch. (Trust me, people: there's always a catch!)

Clay has no idea that I, Megan Sinclair, exist. Why? Because my parents forced me to keep my identity a secret. Not like I could say no--when all this started, I was only 16. Maybe if I'd had the guts to tell him the truth sooner, things would be better. Maybe I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in now. Maybe Clay and I would still be speaking.

Why Megan Wants To Be On The Show:

The situation at home is getting way too strained, but I've found a way out. At least for a little while. There's this guy, Lucas Spark, who is related to some fancy movie studio at the other end of Oasis Springs. My parents have been trying to get Lucas and I together since we were in grade school. And now I hear that he's agreed to find a wife using a Reality TV Show of all things! (How pathetic can you get, man?)

There's no way I'm gonna wind up with Lucas Spark. But this silly TV thing he has going on, and the promised money for those who go on it, will set me up so I can finally get out from under my parents' thumbs. Then I can finally get on with my life and pursue my music career--though I'm not sure I can stomach singing about love when I know I'm never going to find it myself... I'm pretty sure any shot I still had left with Clay will be gone. (Again: going on something like this is the epitome of pitiful... Ugh.) But did I really have a shot anyway...?

Never mind that. Desperate times call for desperate measures. And I desperately need to gain control of my own life. For Love Or Money... Do you even need to ask? This freak show is my one way ticket outta here, and you bet I'm gonna take it!

Megan's Pre-Show Opinion of Lucas Spark:

Luke is a nice guy. Never had anything against him. It's the fact that our parents use us as a pair of chess pieces that's a major pain in the butt. I just know that's how I'll get on this silly show. The Sparks and the Sinclairs think--no, better make that expect--that we'll get together for sure. I sure hope Luke doesn't have his heart set on that, or it's likely I won't be the only one nursing a broken heart by the time this mess is done.

Anything Else:

It's highly unlikely that Megan and Lucas will end up together, but they have history and extremely different personalities. Besides, c'mon... anyone who thinks every girl / guy who goes on one of these silly shows cares about the star "that way"... *laugh* Especially with the fact that For Love Or Money does actually pay it's guests? There's bound to be a wide assortment of characters. But then again, things *could* change. :D That's kinda the point.

Anyway, there's one sample. I do have a couple other characters if I need them, and I'll likely post them for fun. But if anyone is interested in having a character appear on here, the door is certainly open. :)
  • Options
    Southernbelle1283Southernbelle1283 Posts: 398 Member
    LOVING THIS. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll be creating some to send your way!
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

Origin ID: simmerdownsouth
    Twitter: @simmerdownsouth
    My Sims 4 Blog/Stories: http://www.simmerdownsouth.com/
    YouTube Channel: SimmerDownSouth
  • Options
    xJDLKxxJDLKx Posts: 313 Member
    edited August 2019

deleted
    Post edited by xJDLKx on

Origin ID:Jessicaaa77
  • Options
    #Southernbelle1283 Thanks very much! I look forward to seeing who you come up with.

#JDLKx Thanks for submitting Evelia as a contestant. :) I think you did a great job with her backstory, etc. and I got a good chuckle about learning to use the computer. Yes, I could definitely see that as being a window of opportunity with Lucas. He *really* likes anything tech related. I also like how you related your character's struggles with her mom's health to Lucas' loyalty to his family. It's quite possible there are things he could learn from Evelia if they got to know each other.
  • Options
    aware210aware210 Posts: 151 Member
    This is a girl I was considering as a legacy founder, but she didint quite fit the bill. She seems more suited for this kind of thing.. So here you go!

Contestant Application:

Picture)s) 938d1230-95ad-42a3-8d17-1ef76e6ecb40_zps4118ca97.png

93ad3d68-9316-4a76-b1e8-d5c176fdd604_zps5e3a2e6e.png

Name: Anna Brooks

Career / Major Goal: To spend her life with her soul-mate

Aspiration: To have a happy family with the man she loves. Preferably a financially successful family. She would prefer to not have to work.
    Traits: Romantic, Family Oriented, Materialistic

Character Background: Anna grew up living a charmed life. Her parents doted on her and her father was very very rich. She has always wanted a love like her mother's and father's. She grew accustomed to having the nicest things in life and not having to lift a finger to get it. She loved always having everything she wanted, but mostly she loved the security and sense of safeness it offered her. When she was 19 her father's business went under investigation for insider trading, and was found to be corrupt. Her father went to jail and they lost everything. Anna has been struggling to work odd jobs just to make end's meet ever sense.

Why They Want To Be On The Show?: Anna want's her old lifestyle back. She hasn't had any luck meeting the man of her dreams and she is hoping this show will help her meet someone who is loving and devoted to making her happy. She's not sure if this will be Lucas, or f the publicity will help her catch the eye of someone watching. At this point in her life she has nothing else to lose.

What is your character's pre-show opinion of Lucas?: She has never met Lucas, but she has seen pictures of him and read about him in magazines. Her father probably ran in some of the same circles as his parents did. She doesn't really know a whole lot about him other than that.

• Options
    #Southernbelle1283 Thanks very much! I look forward to seeing who you come up with.

#JDLKx Thanks for submitting Evelia as a contestant. :) I think you did a great job with her backstory, etc. and I got a good chuckle about learning to use the computer. Yes, I could definitely see that as being a window of opportunity with Lucas. He *really* likes anything tech related. I also like how you related your character's struggles with her mom's health to Lucas' loyalty to his family. It's quite possible there are things he could learn from Evelia if they got to know each other.

@ladybastilla That's ok and thankyou :D I had soo much fun thinking about and writing her back story :D, aha yeah Evelia is definitely technology shy something I thought that Lucas would find endearing and cute about her aha. Yeah definitely , can't wait to read more to see what happens with them both (if she goes through) either way I'll be reading your blog, can't wait to see how it all plays out :D

• Options
    elektricparadoxelektricparadox Posts: 140 Member
    This looks really fun :smiley: Here's my app, I hope you like her!
    ZeldaLily1.png

Name: Zelda Lily Winters

Career / Major Goal: Video Game Musician

Aspiration: Musical Genius (Muser)

Traits: Geek, Cheerful, Good

Character Background: To say my dad was a pretty big fan of Legend of Zelda is just a bit of an understatement. If I'd been born a boy, I'm sure I'd be Link Winters instead! To say my dad was pretty useless is... well, correct. He left my mum just before my third birthday. Never heard from him since. It'd be nice to know what happened to him, but the way he treated my mum has left me pretty unenthusiastic about re-establishing contact.

My mum calls me Lily. Adamantly. I never knew my real first name until I was 16. Pretty cool, right? :) I've never told anyone. I figure everyone should have a secret. Hopefully one day I'll meet the One. Maybe he'll find out my real name, then it can be our secret to share.

Oh, and despite the lack of my dad's influence, I'm still somehow a massive nerd. Go figure. My lifetime dream is to be a Video Game Musician - just to hear my music in a piece of art like that would be... thrilling. For now though, I'm working part-time in a comic book store until I can grab someone's attention in the industry. I know the importance of dreams and if there's one thing I stand for, it's following them. I don't believe anyone should settle for less than what they really want.

Why They Want To Be On The Show?: First and foremost, I've never fallen in love. I don't know if this is the right way to go about things but... ugh, call me a romantic, but there's something beautiful about falling in love on-screen. Maybe I watch too many movies. And I guess if things don't work out, maybe I could catch the attention of somebody willing to help me fulfil my dream?

What is your character's pre-show opinion of Lucas?: I can only judge what I've seen from the show, and I reckon a face like that is worth whispering a secret name to, let me tell you! But for now, he can know me as Lily, like everyone else, and we'll see what happens ;)

Anything Else You Can Think Of: Lily really takes her name reveal seriously, as well as her belief in following your dreams. If she knew Lucas was being pretty much forced into taking a career path he wasn't really interested in, her Good nature would take over and she'd implore him to stand up for what he believes is his true path.
    Origin ~ calliedrose
  • Options
    Here's my first entry:

3b3d2725-a447-4978-bfec-a38e7145a3cd_zpsee42c17e.png

Name: Vanessa Madigan

Career/Major Goal: Entertainment Journalist

Aspiration: Party Animal (Gregarious)

Traits: Self-Assured, Ambitious, Perfectionist

Character Background: My modeling career began when I was just a baby. What started out as a few baby-food commercials turned into world-wide hair and make-up ads in my teens. I was my mom's big ticket out of the trailer-park, until she decided that all of my hard-earned money was better spent at the bar and on drugs than on my future. When I was 17, I ran away from Lunar Lakes to Willow Creek hoping to make a name for myself. I got a job with a small entertainment magazine as a coffee courier but quickly worked my way up thanks to my ambitious side. I'm writing for the magazine now, but I'd really like a chance to get in with the rich and famous of the entertainment industry and throw parties that they fight to get in to.

Why They Want To Be On The Show?: Spark Studios actually gave my my first commercial as a baby and a couple more after that. I feel like they're already family and I'd like to see if those feelings are justified. I also think this show could give me both a leg up in my career, and I think my self-assured gregarious personality is just the thing Lucas needs by his side to solidify his place withing his family's company.

What is your character's pre-show Opinion of Lucas?: Truth be told, I've had a crush on Lucas ever since I was a little girl. We actually were in a commercial together for diapers, though he probably doesn't remember me at all. I've been following him even after all these years. He's grown into such a handsome man. Ok, you can't tell him this, but I keep that picture of him when he was on the cover of Sim People magazine in a shoe box under my bed (if you know what I mean). *Blushing furiously*.

Anything Else
    ? Since I've been so focused on me this last decade, I've never let myself fall in love. I think it's time I finally put myself out there. An hopefully Lucas finds me to be complimentary to his personality.
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

• Options
    VirtualHamstaVirtualHamsta Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2014
    Greetings. Love the idea of this, and thought I'd take a shot of making a sim here of my own. My origin ID is "VirtualHamsta," and the sim is one of the first options you see if you type in "Staple" on community.

Contestant Application:

Picture Link: http://i.imgur.com/42wa3Mo.png

Name: Charlotte Staple

Major Goal: Undecided, but it probably involves a boat and a midget.

Aspiration: Joke Star (Bonus Trait - Gregarious)

Traits: Ambitious, Goofball, Perfectionist

Character Background: Spent most, okay all of my life in Willow Creek. My mother was a very unsuccessful painter and my dad was a journalist for about two years, before being thrown out onto his backside, unemployed. Since then I've had 7 boyfriends, moved out into my own little crooked house, got a job as a waitress, lost my job as a waitress and lost an internet bidding war for a very large boat for a very large sum of money. In conclusion, not much has happened really.
    As for me personally, I enjoy a good time. I don't really have a goal for the future or "just one wish," I just like doing what I can to make now the funnest it could possibly be for me, and those around me. It's my art! That's kind-of what I want to bring to the table for this show, to make sure I have a good time, and it's a good time.

Why They Want To Be On The Show?: I could say it's because I want to meet the man of my dreams. I could say this is the moment my whole life has been waiting for. But it's not. The reason I signed up for the show was to have some fun in a big mansion on national television and maybe gain a few laughs. I never believed in "the one" or true love, and I'm definitely not going to spark the interest of some hot billionaire tech geek in a tie, but when the opportunity comes up, you've got to grab it. And really, I have nothing else planned, I might as well try for a summer break in a mansion filled with beautiful people and television cameras!

What is your character's pre-show opinion of Lucas?: Hot. Hot hot hot hot hot hot, hot! I mean he's way out of my league, but he's got his mother's looks alright. He might be as dull as a brick or as needy as a baby, he could be deceitful or crazy or murderous, but none of that matters because he is a scorcher! I don't know much about him really, but I know what he looks like, who is family are, and that he's still single even after years of being so utterly attractive!

Anything Else You Can Think Of: If you can tell me in advance, if and when I get accepted for this, if the money I'll be getting will be enough for a "20ft Hyland motor boat, with a dynamic turbo-force engine and large living space including surround music-system," That'd be great!
    Post edited by VirtualHamsta on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    #aware210 I agree that Anna makes a great choice for a potential contestant. I thought all of the sims on your thread were lovely. :) I also think her background is interesting. (I get the feeling I'm going to be saying that a *lot*. There are a lot of terrific backstories and motivations being given for all these characters.)

#elektricparadox I could definitely see Lucas meshing well with Zelda / Lily. I left it open as to what type of programming he actually ended up specializing in, but as someone who has friends who program games for a living, that was already a direction I was considering going in. Nothing written in stone, of course, but I could see those two having some interesting interactions.

#Southernbelle1283 Vanessa sounds very interesting. I could certainly see some antics for her to get up to as a wannabe journalist. There's bound to be some dirt going on in a situation like this. :p I also think it's great that you weren't afraid to add to Lucas' overall story. That's going to be one of the challenges I will face in using characters from others, and is something I definitely want to encourage.

#VirtualHamsta I love the angle that you came at this from with Charlotte. She seems more go-with-the-flow about it, which adds an interesting dimension. I like the fact that she seems torn between not buying into this (which is totally cool--Lucas is skeptical about it, Matthew thinks it's a joke, and Sasha is horrified by the idea. *Lucas' siblings.*) while still, more privately, admitting that she thinks he is hot. :p

Also, I got Charlotte off the Gallery and grabbed an image of her so everyone can see:

charlotte1_zps4b51cd71.png

Anyway, thanks so much to everyone who has put forth a contestant. :D I'm so glad to see that this is off to a good start. Though I'm pretty sure it's going to be tough to decide who to vote for this weekend.

If anyone wants to add someone else, the door is still totally open. :)
  • Options
    KaleekoKaleeko Posts: 586 Member
    This is so clever! ♥ I'm super curious to see how this plays out! I don't have time to whip someone up and submit, but in the face of such competition I hardly think I'd stand a chance anyways. ;) *sits back and patiently waits*
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    news1_zps16293ccc.png

Here's what really happened...

Megan

The moment I see Matthew Spark sitting at a corner table, I know that coming to the Rattlesnake was mistake. In all the years I've known the Spark family, Matthew is the only one I've never hit it off with. Probably because he's seen right through me from the start.

He doesn't leave his seat, and for a moment I wonder if there is someone else I'm suppose to meet here. But then he waves at me and I barely manage to hold back a sigh.

Busted.

It doesn't matter if there's someone else looking for me. If Matthew starts telling people he's seen me hanging around the Rattlesnake so close to the beginning of the show, someone is bound to be suspicious. And what if it was him who called me earlier? What might he have to say?

My curiosity led me here to begin with. There's no way I can turn around and leave now.

"You wanted to meet?" I ask, lowering myself into the chair across from his.

Might as well get that out in the open. If it wasn't him, I can keep an eye out--

"Yeah. That was me." He pours himself a drink and gestures toward the pitcher sitting on the table. "We need to talk."

Crap. This can't be good. The last time Matthew and I tried to talk, it ended in a screaming match.

He leans forward, getting way into my personal space. "What do you think you're doing, Sinclair?"

Funny, I've been asking myself that for weeks now.

There's no point saying that to Matthew, though. Pouring myself a drink, I brace myself, ready to let him talk himself out.

"My parents latest crazy idea is, well, crazy." He pauses to look at me, and I'm surprised to note that for once he doesn't look like he wants to choke me. "I'm sure we can agree on that."

"Yes," I say, letting the word linger between us. I can't help it; it's probably the only thing Matthew and I have ever agreed on. "I like your parents, but this show definitely takes the cake."

"I knew you'd see it my way." Matthew flashes me a quick smile. Maybe agreeing with him wasn't the best idea. "You don't love my brother. We both know that. True?"

I give a quick little nod. "I'm not in love with him..."

"Then why are you doing this?"

One moment passes. Then another.

I stare at Matthew, my mouth dry as a desert as I try to think of a way to explain why I need this. A way that won't make me look like a totally pathetic loser.

Finally, I settle on the truth. "I have to do this."

Matthew clenches his hand into a fist and then opens it slowly.

I lean back in my chair. The legs make a scraping sound as I put several more inches between us.

It's pure instinct. Matthew has never been violent toward me, nor have I seen him behave that way toward anyone else outside a fighting ring. But I've heard stories from Lucas, and I'm pretty sure I'm pushin' all his buttons tonight.

Better safe than sorry.

"D'you have some plan to use the show to get attention from Clay?"

I flinch like he just struck me. He might as well have; he's definitely hit a nerve.

"Don't you dare bring him into this." I lower my voice to a whisper, even though I want to shout. "He doesn't even know my real name. You know that. If anything, this is the final nail in the coffin. There's no way he would want someone tacky enough to go on a reality tv show."

Matthew has the audacity to laugh. "Couldn't have said that better myself. It's what I came to tell you, actually."

I rub my temples, trying to stave off a headache. "Tell me something I don't know."

"Those words came straight from Clay," Matthew says, leaning back in his chair. "Luke and I had lunch with him yesterday. It seems my father's been planning ahead. He wants Clay to star in a future season of For Love Or Money if it takes off."

Matthew's words come at exactly the wrong moment. The sip of juice I just took go down wrong, making me sputter and cough. "What?"

Matthew just grins. "You heard me."

Oh yeah, I heard him.

I just can't believe what I'm hearing.

"Clay turned down the offer, of course." Matthew's grin turns devious. "He told my father he doesn't want to settle down."

Well isn't that the understatement of the century? Mr. Clay I-WooHoo-a-different-girl-every-night Freeman doesn't want to get married. What a shock!

Well, that's what he had been doing up til six months ago. Since then, Clay has somehow fallen completely off the map. He's managed to dodge the limelight completely...until Matthew mentioned him tonight.

Maybe if I'd told him the truth sooner, neither of us would have ties to For Love Or Money at all. Outside of being friends with Lucas, apparently. Then Clay might still be making music and touring. Preferably with me on stage with him.

I take a moment to try and calm down before speaking. "What does this have to do with me?"

It isn't like Matthew is the president of the get-Megan-with-Clay fanclub. He's made his distaste for my longtime crush on Clay obvious for years.

"I'm not here for you. I'm here for Luke." Matthew gets up from his seat and comes around the table. The sudden movement makes me want to bolt, but I force myself to remain still. This is a public space. A busy one. If he decides to attack me here, someone will intervene.

Though I'm not sure it would do me--or them--much good. Fighting is kinda what Matthew does, after all.

"Take this." He pulls a wad of bills and a piece of paper out of his wallet and holds them toward me. "20,000 simoleans and the deed to a place I own in Willow Creek. I know how much trouble you're having at home, Megan. I know how desperate you are to get outta there. Let me help."

What the heck is this? I might have seen it coming from Lucas. But, again... Matthew and I have just never seen eye to eye. What does he hope to gain?

"You'll have to put up with a room mate. I kinda promised a buddy of mine that he can crash there too." A strange look crosses Matthew's face, one I can't quite put a name to. "Better than the other options you've got, though. Right?"

I have to admit, it is a tempting offer. But to just leave Oasis Springs? To go to a town I've only been to a handful of times before? To be indebted to Matthew freakin' Spark?

"I don't know..."

"Let's recap: You don't love my brother. True?"

"True."

"And you want outta your parents' house, right?"

"Right."

"Then I don't see what's holding you back."

It takes everything in me to get the words past my tongue and out my mouth. "I'm scared."

Matthew throws his head back and laughs. "Megan, you don't know what it means to be scared. I'll tell you what, though: you hurt my brother and I'll make you wish we never met. Is that clear?"

A queasy feeling settles in the pit of my stomach. All I want right now is to get out of the Rattlesnake as fast as my feet can carry me.

I try to hand the money and deed back to Matthew, but he pushes my hand away.

"No, I think you should hang onto that." He backs up a little. My stomach settles more the further he gets from me.

I really hope he hasn't noticed how freaked out I am.

"Okay, I'll think about it." I say. Still sitting at the table, I wait for him to leave.

Instead, he just stands there staring at me. After a long, uncomfortable stretch of silence he nods. "You do that, Megan. Think long and hard."

Turning away from me, Matthew makes his way across the bar.

I'm halfway to the door myself when he stops and looks back.

"I have faith in you, Megan." Something flashes in his dark blue eyes before they again shift to the icy stare he tends to reserve for me. "I know you'll do the right thing."

Yeah, I'll try to do the right thing.

I just need to figure out what it is.

Author's Note:

Eep! Has Megan bitten off more than she can chew? Is Matthew right? Should she stay in Oasis Springs or take his offer to move to Willow Creek? And who could the mysterious room mate be if she does?

If I don't wind up using Megan for For Love Or Money I will likely end up telling her and Clay's story separately. (with cameos from other characters, of course.) I had the idea to write this piece, though, and it wouldn't go away. I couldn't resist putting it up here. :)

And to remind you all again: there is still time to put forward potential contestants. :) Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    elektricparadoxelektricparadox Posts: 140 Member
    @ladybastilla Oh I loved it! Such an interesting story - Megan's one of those complex characters who I love just delving into the layers of. You write really wonderfully by the way :) You've kinda inspired me to write for Zelda a little; if she doesn't end up as a contestant I may explore her further myself (although I am now entirely intrigued as to how you'd write her and would love to see that happen more, I think!)

And Matthew seems like he can be one intimidating dude, haha >.< Wonderful writing, as I said^^
    Origin ~ calliedrose
  • Options
    @ladybastilla I totally agree with @elektricparadox this is going to turn into a wonderful story. Your writing shows that you are obviously creative. I can't wait to see how this all turns out. Such thorough character development. Well done!
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

• Options
    RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    @ladybastilla - I am so engrossed in your story. I can not wait to read more. With my new computer coming either today or tomorrow, I hope to get a contestant in for this. If there is still available space.

Have fun everyone! :)
  • Options
    @ladybastilla I can't wait to read more , really intrigued to see what happens to Megan and the path she chooses, for some reason I can totally see her and Matthew hooking up , when I read it I definitely felt some chemistry there

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    This looks fun! I'll keep an eye open for when it starts. Glad to see you got many good candidates :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    tammi222tammi222 Posts: 478 Member
    edited August 2014
    Whoops my questions been answered, sorry! :)
    "I never like to do anything quiet if I can help it. Swords for everyone!"
    tumblr_mtugnbGcVr1rlg2wpo1_400.gif
  • Options
    Pinstar1161Pinstar1161 Posts: 216 Member
    I've got a late entry for you.

bSKw0mE.png

Name: Mausea Twitchford

Career: Astronaut - Save the World!

Aspiration: Nature - The Curator - Collector

Traits: Active, Cheerful, Clumsy

Character Background:

After having a vivid dream of the earth being threatned by a gigantic comet and her blasting off into space to destroy it with a firebomb made of flame fruits, Mausea is certain it was a vision of what she must do. However, being *extremely* high-strung and impulsive, she was distracted by this show. She remembers something vaguely about delivering a warning to the viewers about the danger the earth is in...or something about the prize money helping fund her research to try and stop the comet...but her focus is fleeting at best. It isn't that she isn't committed to her task, or smart enough to complete it, she's just very easily excited by just about everything.

Pre-Show opinion of Lucas Spark (in her own words)

Lucas Spark? Oh yes! I'm VERY interested in him. Who is he again? OH RIGHT! YES Very handsome! And he's rich? Ohh shiny money! On a show! oooh fame and fortune! ACK no! That sounds selfish, I'm not evil! I'm good... okay maybe neutral. Chaotic neutral. I wonder if he plays D&D. He looks like he plays a paladin. I'm gonna ask him that. I'm also gonna ask him to travel to space with me to save the world! Mmm that sounds romantic...and heroic!

Other Info:

When Mausea learns that Lucas isn't very interested in his career path, she'll absolutely jump at the chance suggest they travel to space to go save the world. Mind you, there are no scientists currently predicting that the world is in danger from a giant ice comet, but Mausea insists the danger is real. While she may come off to thers as being ditzy, dumb and a spaz, only the former and latter of those is true. She's actually quite bright. Her mind goes much faster than it should, and her body follows suit. Whether she is a heroic visionary or just a Windmill Crusader will be up to Lucas to decide
    Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Twitter: @Pinstar
    Youtube

This account is now maintained by Pinstar's wife, Mystic.

Twitter: @Sims_Legacy

Official Legacy Challenge Site
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    #Elektricparadox , you should totally link to what you sent me via message or we should put it up on the FLOM blog. I found it an interesting read and extremely helpful.

#Southernbelle1283 , #xJDLKx , #Simmerville , and #Kaleeko Thanks very much for your kind words. I have a background in writing. I don't have much of one with The Sims. We shall see how this goes. (I did buy the guide and I've been looking up information about taking images, etc. so hopefully that will help.)

#Rawla Please go ahead and get your character up when you have the chance. I extended the date so you will be able to (and I'll be able to learn the game so my game element will be as good as I hope the story will be.)

#Pinstar1161 Mausea sounds like an absolutely hilarious character who would be fun to write. Her backstory is interesting, the contrast between her personality and her mission would create fantastic conflict, and the fact that she would be in such a bizarre and contrasting situation to that which "needs" to be addressed--something the audience would know--would produce lovely dramatic irony. Thanks for nominating her. :)

Please take a look at the updated timeline in post two. It completely eluded me that I should give myself time to learn the game until I noticed many of you guys doing that. So I've extended the entry and voting dates. Might as well, no?

Quick summary: Contestant Applications are due Wednesday, September 3rd. Voting will start on Thursday, September 4th and run til Monday, September 8th at 7 p.m. EST.
  • Options
    tammi222tammi222 Posts: 478 Member
    This is my character :)

Name: Amber Taylor

Career / Major Goal: To take over Earth

Aspiration: Fabulously Wealthy and the trait is Business Savvy.

Traits: Clumsy, Outgoing and Self Assured

Character Background: I grew up in Xolanda, a highly populated planet in the Hocsna Cluster. But I later moved to a new planet to further my goals.
    There are three things I have learnt about becoming powerful in my time on ‘Earth’:
    The first one is to become popular by creating an identity that is either ‘lovable’ or pr0miscuous. After several incidents on public trains that ended with restraining orders, I have decided pr0miscuous is not for me. Thus I am now Amber Taylor, a small-town girl who has moved to Willow Creek for fame and fortune.
    The second is you must marry someone who is high on the social ladder to create connections. This one has for the most part alluded me as most rich/famous people are either old, married, ‘gay’ or ‘straight’, I was not really sure what those last ones mean as I didn’t think he seemed very happy and her body was definitely not what I’d call straight? Maybe she was talking about her hair? Anyway after crossing Malcom Landgraab off my list, I was struck with a thought, well more a newspaper that gave me an idea. ‘For Love or Money’ sounded perfect for my plans.

Why They Want To Be On The Show?: Because I feel as if this is a chance for me; a chance to finally achieve my goal, to take over Earth. If I can convince this rich man to fall for me I will finally have the power to take over this planet and become its new Overlord.

What is your character's pre-show opinion of Lucas?: Who’s Lucas?
    Edit; Oh, the rich man, I have no opinions of him but I shall need to learn more about him to make him fall for me…

Anything Else You Can Think Of: I have recently been informed that humans don’t like having ‘Overlords’ so I want to put your minds at ease by telling you that I will be quite a laid-back Overlord. Curfew will be at 10:00pm, I only want one statue in each town in my honour and human sacrifices will only take place on every other Sunday.

(It won't let me post images but she is on the exchange)
    "I never like to do anything quiet if I can help it. Swords for everyone!"
    tumblr_mtugnbGcVr1rlg2wpo1_400.gif
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Good to see others Are going to start a series too, I started putting mine together, but refrained from posting, the Mac technicalities y'know.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif