Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating Clothing from Scratch

Modding newbie here. I just wanted to know how I could create clothing from scratch, not just a recolour. For example, like creating a new style of pants that don't yet exist in the CAS demo. I hope someone here knows. Thanks.

Comments

• MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    You could probably just about do it right now but my advice would be to wait a little as the tools for meshing are very new and will probably mature and become more reliable in a few weeks. I myself had a go at editing a hat in a simple way, and while it showed up in the CAS it crashed the demo soon afterward.

If you are determined then you'll need this tutorial:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KmmGiBiW55NWevwWOp4MR8Mue9uIHFUikyJxEmu2vn0/edit

for learning about the mesh creating process and figure out how to integrate that with this new tool:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/773665/cas-cloner-demo-0-1-released#latest

which should let you create a new 'slot' for your mesh rather than replacing one of the existing ones.
  • simlover87_87simlover87_87 Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks @MyreMylar for the links. I'm going to download the CAS Cloner demo. I'll see if anything crashes.
    @MyreMylar I downloaded the trial version of Milkshape, but when I go to import the Q mesh as written in the tutorial, Milkshape has a pop up that says I should buy it, so I'm not able to import it. How do I go around this? Also I was trying to use 3d max but there's not really any plugins for it. I only found one at Mod the Sims and it's for a higher version of the program than what I have. What do I do? How did you do it?
  • simmersimsimmersimsimmersimsimmersim Posts: 28 Member
    @simlover87_87 I haven't looked into meshing in TS4, so my solution may not work, but I used Blender for TS3. It's free, a little hard to use, but once you get over the learning curve it's totally worth it. I agree with @MyreMylar though. I would just wait for the tools to become a bit more mature before starting out as a brand new modder. Though, if you are super motivated, do it! You'd be ahead of the game, and way beyond everyone else who is waiting for the tools to mature. If you find something that works, let me know! I'd love to see it!
    @simmersimsimmersim Thanks I will try Blender. Hopefully it works.
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited August 2014
    I would recommend to anybody that wants detailed help with meshing or more complicated modding... that they check out the TS4 Create forums at ModTheSims, here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=700

Nothing wrong with THIS forum (which is very new, first time EA has ever provided a modding forum), but everything is jammed together here, including "how to" information and people presenting their mods. At MTS, the "how to" information is divided into (so far) four subforums, and it'll be easier to find other threads relevant to what you're doing... and the more experienced tool makers, tutorial writers, and modders tend to congregate there because that's where they've been going for years. Not to mention a large database of tutorials.

A couple of threads over there already which should help you out, in the CAS Parts section :) This guy for instance has some of the same questions: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=531982 And you'll find CmarNYC's thread documenting the creation of her mesh tools.
  • simmersimsimmersimsimmersimsimmersim Posts: 28 Member
    @Srikandi715 Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't realize MTS already had a dedicated TS4 modding forum. I'll definitely check that out.
  • MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    To answer the milkshape question; I got around it by just buying milkshape :)
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    Blender is a powerful, flexible, free 3D editor with a very large community of users and tons of tutorials. Milkshape, on the other hand, is an old, unsupported (afaik), and clunky 3D editor. It hasn't updated in several years at least. The only currently available tool that allows meshing for Sims 4 using MS requires the use of plugins that were made for Sims 3 by someone who is no longer in the community and is no longer supporting them.

If you're just starting out and are going to be learning one or the other Blender is by far the superior editor and there are Sims 4 meshing tools in alpha testing that work quite well with it. I used those and Blender to make my new TS4 custom hair mesh and it wasn't difficult. I've used both MS and Blender and I can tell you making meshes is much easier using Blender.
    @_orangemittens_ can you link to the Sims 4 meshing tools that you're using?
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    Hopefully soon. A and Kuree are working constantly to get them ready for prime time and it's looking good. :)