Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Warning concerning CC and Mods in Sims 4

EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
edited August 2014 in General Mods Discussion
How To Install Custom Content in The Sims 4

22 Aug 2014

Posted by SimsVIP The Sims 4, The Sims 4 Custom Content, The Sims 4 Mods, The Sims 4 Tutorials

Warning

:!: Please note that installing 3rd party content may cause problems with your game. It is a good idea to properly research the use of mods and custom content before putting them into your game.

:!: While EA unofficially supports the modding community, they will not be held liable should any 3rd party content damage your PC or game.

:!: These instructions are here for informational purposes only. SimsVIP does not assume any liability should 3rd party content damage your PC or game.

:!: Always remember to remove mods and custom content before updating your game

I do not use CC or Mods. but I know that some people do.

Comments

• Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited August 2014
    Standard warning for the use of third party content in any game. We aren't responsible, you downloaded it so it's your fault. Which is completely fair, it's up to you to know what it is you're downloading.

I've been messing with some CC for TS4. There is quite a bit of it, I've found some nice makeup, re-colors, skins etc that I will keep in the full game.
    34336_s.gif
  • Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    edited August 2014
    I always save my game when adding Mods /CC will be easier to remove in sims 4 if any probs as all files are in mod folder and you can sort by date added etc.
    These warnings come with all games CIV ect they are not new.
    Post edited by Snosrap522 on
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I have to admit that I feel tempted to try CC this time around, but I wont make any decisions (or downloads) until the full game ships next month. When I see the full offering of official content available, I'll be better equipped to decide.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I have been simply amazed at how much CC is already showing up for the game considering it is not even released yet.

I subscribe to several different Tumblr blogs and Google+ circles that share CC and am seeing hundreds of new things showing up every day.

So far I've downloaded very little, but I can already tell I'll be filling up with CC pretty quickly once the game is released. It wouldn't be a The Sims game if I did not spend as much time browsing and downloading CC as I did playing the game. :p
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    If you've never used CC before, I'll offer another suggestion:

Organize, organize, organize. Rename the files so that you know exactly what they are. Put different types of CC into folders. Have a furniture folder, and in the furniture folder you need folders for beds, chairs, tables, etc. Same for clothes, CAS items, Sims.

This will help immensely if you end up having something in your game that is causing issues, and also if you put something in that you don't like and want to get rid of.

Thanks for those tips! I really do not want to create a problem for myself if I do take the plunge.

OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I've been using custom content for years. My best advice is to only use cc from trusted sources. And no, the Gallery/Exchange is NOT a trusted source! The reason is that anybody can upload anything on sites like the Gallery (Sims 4) or the Exchange (Sims 3). So of course eventually some bad cc is going to be uploaded there. The best thing to do is ask around about which sites are trusted to give you good cc that will be problem-free and not mess up your game. Mod The Sims is one of those sites. For Sims 3 there was also Around The Sims, Vita Sims, Lorandia Sims and a bunch of others.

Speaking of which I REALLY hope Vita Sims is going to start making Sims 4 stuff, because that site was absolutely awesome! Quality stuff.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited August 2014
    Evalen wrote: »

I do not use CC or Mods. but I know that some people do.
    i agree with @Allspice1232 that is a standard disclaimer. and i truly think the best help and advice comes from those that use cc and mod, i get those that dont use are surprised that many would install something with such a disclaimer but it really isnt hard to make back up copies and read instructions. see problem solved. also again its a disclaimer like the ones EA give out :) game data files can be corrupted.

@Stormkeep i know right soo many CC already out there. and the mod section here is cooking! fingers crossed i wont need to wait too long for some good mods. the only thing im not happy to see return are the recolors. ive already prepared myself to make my own recolors
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I've already downloaded CC I have a problem lol but yeah you have to be really organized and get it from well known sites
    21mbz47.jpg
  • LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    That's pretty much standard. Always do your homework. I make CC and have made quite a bit so far for TS4. I always test them out before releasing it on my site, however, as soon as I get the game I will be testing them once again to ensure there are no issues. The tools right now to make the CC are unstable and can cause the demo to crash when it is a non-default on certain items. If the creator does their part and the person downloading does theirs, we can hopefully avoid some of the horrors we in the TS3 community have already faced.
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    I've used cc and mods since the sims days and I only had problems with them once or twice in all of the years. For my mods the main problem was just updating them really but it was never anything extreme. As long as we don't have the doll dress, centaur body, and black boots problem anymore I'm good :)
  • femitche514femitche514 Posts: 124 Member
    I've never been a big fan of custom content, but I have been playing around with it for the demo. I may delete it and only use game content when the game comes out. I still haven't decided. However, there have been a few things that are just ADORABLE!

Jessica_Front.jpg

Jessica_Back.jpg
    maya_angelou.jpg
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I never liked custom content clothes/ objects. But now with these custom swatches that are non-default and don't take time to load/ don't lag, I'm very tempted to use a lot of them! I have lots on my cas demo, but I don't know if I should just use the defaults when the full game launches... I can see myself in the future with more cc that I can manage, and I won't know what is what. By now I'm just keeping the best of the best (wich is a lot).
  • metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    call me paranoid, but I haven't used any CC on the demo, because they have not been tested on the actual game. Until more CC gets tested (I have some downloaded but not in the mod folder) I won't be using them.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    call me paranoid, but I haven't used any CC on the demo, because they have not been tested on the actual game. Until more CC gets tested (I have some downloaded but not in the mod folder) I won't be using them.

You're right that there's no guarantee that CC created for the demo will work at release.

But that doesn't seem like a good reason not to check it out in the demo first :)

Worst thing that can happen is you'll have to remove it from your mods folder because it doesn't work. Which takes, what, two seconds? ;)
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    It is always a risk you take when put cc/mods in game, so that hasn't changed. I think right now it isn't a good idea. I know people are excited about them, but right now a lot of the tools are very unstable because they are new and based off just the demo for now. Some work, others crash the game.
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    How To Install Custom Content in The Sims 4

Why'd you include the warning but not a link to the actual instructions? :open_mouth:

Installing mods in TS4 is far simpler than TS3, since the game comes with a premade mods folder. Drop package file in folder... that's it. (You can use one level of subfolders by default; if you want more, you'd have to modify the resource.cfg file.)

To disable mods? Drag em out of folder. Voila.

Note that when the full game comes out, it will presumably create a new folder in My Documents. If you want to use the mods you have from the demo in the game, you'll need to copy them over. It IS probably worth exercising some caution here; no guarantee they'll work in the released game. So try one first and see how it goes, before dumping stuff in wholesale ;) Remember, if it DOESN'T work, you just have to remove it from the mods folder and everything will be fine.

You do want to look both ways before crossing the street, but that doesn't mean you should always stay on the sidewalk ;) There's a whole world on the other side of the street!
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    Where's the instructions?
  • jvms20jvms20 Posts: 636 Member
    I also think you should be careful where you download from too. Make sure you download from a safe, trusted site. I've almost downloaded from an unsafe site but luckily my malwarebytes saved me in time. :( It was a shame too, cause the outfit I wanted was really awesome.
    mRzKqv8.gif?1
    jvms20 wrote: »
    I also think you should be careful where you download from too. Make sure you download from a safe, trusted site. I've almost downloaded from an unsafe site but luckily my malwarebytes saved me in time. :( It was a shame too, cause the outfit I wanted was really awesome.

Glad nothing bad happened to your computer!

SimsVip posted a website link that has a lot of custom content, so I've gone there...but within that site, I've also tried to research trusted creators and only download from them.
    maya_angelou.jpg
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I have no intentions of using CC yet. At least for the first few weeks until I know the game is stable and everything. I think I may need eyeliners and some makeup only for CC. I wouldnt need much clothing or other stuff yet
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    I have been looking at cc for the demo because there are such few clothes.

I do not know a lot of the makers out there...any recommendations?

I see some cute recolors out there but never seen these people before. I get clothes from All about style and TSR but they do not have S4 yet.

Anyway I would not uploaded any cc or put in game until it is tested.
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    So does the Gallery flag CC or in any way indicate that CC was used on a creation? EA's failure to do this for TS3 is responsible for a LOT of the problems people encountered. If we don't necessarily know the CC is there, we don't know to check it or if we'd rather not take the risk at all and just skip it. That much, I DO think EA is responsible for doing.
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    So does the Gallery flag CC or in any way indicate that CC was used on a creation? EA's failure to do this for TS3 is responsible for a LOT of the problems people encountered. If we don't necessarily know the CC is there, we don't know to check it or if we'd rather not take the risk at all and just skip it. That much, I DO think EA is responsible for doing.

It does not flag it, but for example, if you download a sim that someone else has created and it has CC that you haven't downloaded, the sim will come without that CC. So if I download a shirt, and use it on a Sim I've created and someone else downloads it, but they don't have that CC downloaded, the sim will show up in their CAS without a shirt on. I hope that helps! :-)

maya_angelou.jpg
  • sholtxsholtx Posts: 832 Member
    Well, you can install for your own risk but don't rant everywhere if the game crushes.
    beXSQcW.jpg